Rough Cut Ch. 06

Story Info
The plot thickens as Sammi goes undercover.
1.6k words
4.3
4.9k
00
Story does not have any tags

Part 6 of the 7 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 03/23/2012
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter Six -- The Plot Thickens

The four friends entered the restaurant and were immediately seated. As the lunch progressed, Sammi and Debra described the Board meeting to the men in great detail, including comments about the Dean's facial expressions when Sammi played the tape. There was a great deal of laughter all around and the time passed quickly.

Suddenly, Debra noticed the time on the back bar clock.

"Oh my, I'll have to leave. I have a class at 2 this afternoon. I'll call you later, Sammi. Please excuse me, gentlemen. Duty calls."

Just as Debra was leaving, Ian's cell phone rang. The call, from Ian's end, consisted of mostly listening with a few uh-huh's thrown in. When he finally ended the call, he turned to Sammi.

"Unfortunately, I'll have to leave you now. I've been called to an urgent meeting. I should be home about six and we can continue this celebration tonight. OK?"

"Of course, darling. See you later. I'm going to stay awhile and talk to Rick about those lessons he promised."

After Ian left, Sammi opened the conversation.

"So, Rick, when do you think you'll be ready to teach me how to row my own boat?

"Why don't we walk back to my stall and we can talk outside without being overheard?"

"Sounds good. Let me take care of the check and we'll be on our way."

A few minutes later, the two of them walked out the door and headed for Rick's scull display.

"Sammi, have you given any thought to my earlier request?"

"Yes, I have, Rick. It puts me in an awkward position as you know. I need to know more about what you really want and what the consequences might be for both Ian and myself. This is all new to me so I have to be comfortable with all aspects of this operation before I can agree to be part of it."

"I understand, Sammi. First, let me say that my offer to teach you to properly row a scull is legitimate. On that score, I do have a scull we can use immediately to begin your lessons tomorrow, if you like."

"Yes, Rick, that would be great."

"Secondly, on the topic of finding out about Ian's side business, we wouldn't expect you to testify against him in court or otherwise expose yourself. All we need from you is some information that will allow us to break up his operation. If we are successful in that attempt, I can promise you complete immunity from prosecution."

"Can you also promise complete immunity for Ian as well? I don't mind exposing his side business, really, but I am not going to send my husband to jail in the process."

"I can't promise that right now. That call will come from higher up than me but I can certainly find out. If we promise full immunity for Ian as well as yourself, will you help us?"

"Under those conditions I will, provided I have those assurances in writing from an individual who has the authority to grant such immunity, Rick. I'll not do anything on a handshake."

"Fair enough. I'll contact my people tonight and have an answer for you by tomorrow. Shall we say 9 am, here on the river, for your first lesson?"

"9 o'clock tomorrow morning will be just fine, Rick. See you then."

Sammi was unusually nervous on the walk back to her car. She was about to turn their lifestyle upside down and possibly put Ian in danger as well. Even though she had tentatively agreed, at this moment she was still very unsure.

When Ian left the restaurant, he didn't go back to his office. Instead, he drove across town to a small gas station/auto repair shop. Parking in front of the bay door, he turned off the ignition but left the keys in the car.

"Good afternoon, Ian, how are you?"

"Just fine, Jake, how's business?"

"Doing well, Ian. How can I help you?"

"I could use a tune up, Jake, and the use of your office for an hour or two."

"No problem. I'll do your tune up myself. right this way, Ian. Would you like some coffee?"

"No thanks, Jake, I just finished lunch."

Jake led Ian to the office of the station, then up a flight of stairs to his private office. After unlocking the door, he allowed Ian to enter.

"If there's anything you need, just holler. My daughter, Molly, will be in the downstairs office. We'll have your car ready when you are. Make yourself at home, Ian. See you later."

"Thanks, Jake, I'll be just fine."

After Jake closed the office door and clomped down the stairs, Ian took out his cell phone and dialed a number. He spoke quietly into the phone for a few minutes, then hung up and dialed another number. One hour and several more phone calls later, Ian sat back in the chair with a sly grin on his face.

When his cell phone rang a few minutes later, Ian answered it on the first ring.

"Ian."

"Yes, it's all set. We'll have the merchandise back in about a week. I'm meeting with the Chief of Police on Wednesday."

"It's only a minor interruption. The Chief has to make himself look good in order to be reelected. Don't worry, I'll take care of the details."

Ian walked down the stairs to find Jake lounging in his chair. He glanced out the window and saw his car parked at the curb and grinned. What he didn't know was that Jake had attached an electronic tailing device to the underside of Ian's car.

"All set, Ian. She's running as good as new. I had to replace a couple of spark plugs but that's all."

"Thanks, Jake. Just put it on my bill. Everything else ok?"

"Yes sir, no problems at all."

"Good to hear, Jake. I'll catch you later. Goodbye, Molly, Jake."

On Saturday morning, when Sammi arrived at the river, Rick had a scull already in the water at dockside. He grinned when he saw Sammi approach.

"Good morning, Sammi. Are you ready for a beautiful day on the water?"

"As ready as I'll ever be, Rick. That doesn't look like my scull tho."

"No, it's not. This is a two seater, one of my training sculls. Before we get in, I'd like to go over some of the basics with you. After that, we can do a short practice run up and down the river. Ok?"

"Sounds great, Rick, let's get started."

Rick took Sammi over to his tent and began to explain the art of rowing and directing a scull. He showed her the different strokes she would be using and taught her the basics of balancing. He also reminded her to wear a safety vest until she was experienced. Finally, he fitted her with her personal life vest, then directed her to the waiting scull.

Rick rowed them out to the middle of the river, then turned the rowing chores over to Sammi. When they were about one hundred yards downstream from his base, Rick stopped Sammi and let the scull drift.

"I have authority to give both you and Ian full immunity from prosecution in exchange for information about the way the drugs and money move about the State. The paperwork is in this waterproof envelope. I'll handle the scull while you read it over, Sammi."

Sammi took the envelope from Rick and noticed that her hands were trembling as she opened it. The letter was only two pages long and explained what the FBI wanted in exchange for the grant of immunity. Sammi read the letter over twice to be sure she understood what she had to do and what the consequences would be if she failed.

After a few minutes of hesitation, she folded the letter and slipped it into her bra, nodding her acceptance to Rick.

"I will be your contact, Sammi. Whenever you have something to pass on, just stop by for another lesson or to check on the progress of your scull. We can establish a signal if I'm not in position to accept your information for whatever reason and another signal if you feel you're in some kind of danger or if you suspect you're being followed. Once these signals are agreed, we won't have to talk about this unless you have something to pass on. Ok?"

"Ok, Rick. Can we decide on the signals now, before we get back to the dock?"

"Sure. Let's just make it really simple. If I call you Sam, it will mean I can't talk. If you say your name is Sam, it will mean you think you're in danger or being followed. Simple enough?"

"Yes, agreed. Sam if there's a problem, Sammi if everything is fine. Right?"

"Exactly. Ok, then, use the right oar and turn us back to the dock. Remember, now you're rowing against the tide of the river so it will be more difficult but not any different. Let's go."

As Rick suggested, Sammi found that rowing upstream was indeed a little more difficult than rowing downstream. By the time they reached the dock, Sammi was perspiring lightly. Once on the dock, Rick complemented her on her rowing skills and asked when she would be back for another lesson.

Sammi allowed that this lesson was fun and thought she might be back the next afternoon, if Rick was available. Answering in the affirmative, the two conspirators shook hands and parted ways in public view of whoever might be watching.