Run Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Evil Alpaca
Evil Alpaca
3,665 Followers

"QUIET!" echoed an enormous voice from the back of the hall.

Pat froze. She knew that voice as if it were her own. For many years, it HAD been her voice before she had found her own. At the back of the room, she saw her father, and he had the entire gathering's attention. He walked down the stairs to the front of the room. His wife and some woman Pat vaguely recognized were right behind him. Pat knew that walk . . . that unmistakable swagger. The throng wasn't being addressed by her father or even by Mr. Baker. The man standing there was retired Brigadier General Reginald Baker of the United States Army, and he was obviously NOT in the mood to be trifled with.

"I'm sorry," said Mr. Timothy Cheney, head of the board. "But you are . . ."

"Reginald Baker," came that booming voice again. "I'm Patrice's father and as such feel I have a right to participate in these proceedings."

Pat blushed. She HATED being referred to as Patrice. "What's he doing here?" she muttered.

Gail looked elsewhere. She hadn't told Pat that she had called the Bakers and kept her promise to Mary Baker to let her in on what was going on in Pat's life.

"This is my wife Mary," he said, offering his wife a suddenly vacated chair.

"And she . . ." Mr. Cheney started, pointing at the other woman.

"This is Mrs. Annabel Webb. Our attorney."

"Is that really necessary?"

"We will see," Mr. Baker said grimly. That was the voice he used to put the fear of God into his subordinates for years. It certainly seemed to be working on this pencil pusher of a man before him.

"Can we get back to the matter at hand?" Mr. Brazier bellowed. When Mr. Baker whipped his head around, the man amended his statement with, "Please?"

Mrs. Webb had sat down next to Dr. Martin and the two had been whispering back and forth. Carolyn looked confused but slightly amused as well.

"She's a pervert and she shouldn't be allowed around our children!" bellowed Mrs. Addison. "She has eyes on our young girls and . . ."

"And how many girls have complained?" Mrs. Webb asked.

"Why should we tell you?" Mrs. Brazier said. "Isn't that information confidential?"

"No, their conversations with Dr. Martin would be confidential. If they're lodging a criminal complaint . . ."

"Who said anything about criminal complaints?" another board member asked.

"Well I'm assuming you have some proof or at least a serious complaint of illegal conduct seeing as it is ILLEGAL to even consider terminating her employment in this state based solely on her purported sexual orientation," Mrs. Webb said with a grin. She loved doing this.

"Who is that?" Gail asked with wide eyes.

"My parents' lawyer," Pat responded. "She's big time though. I don't know why she'd be at a PTA meeting for something like this."

"She makes my daughter uncomfortable," Mrs. Addison replied.

"Your narrow-mindedness makes ME uncomfortable," said Mary Baker.

"But fortunately for you," Mrs. Webb said, "you can't be fired for that offense." She turned back to the board. "This is a witch hunt," she said in her most calculated voice. "We were listening to the entire conversation before we made ourselves known. I don't know how this entire escapade started and I don't much care. To the best of my knowledge, you have a bunch of unsubstantiated rumors with no actual accusers and you want to string up a woman who is over-qualified for this job because . . ." Mrs. Webb put on her best perplexed look and threw her hands up in the air.

"If she's 'over-qualified', then why is she working here?" Thomas Brazier put in, looking to boost his bravado after being embarrassed by Pat earlier that week.

"He has an excellent point," the boy's father said. "Why would she hide it? Maybe she didn't want people to know she was preying on young women!"

"You fool," Dr. Martin said at last. The auditorium quieted. "Am I a lesbian? Absolutely. I feel no shame because of that. But if you want to believe that being interested in females makes me a stalker, then every heterosexual male in that school falls under the same label."

There was a murmuring. "I'm sorry," Mr. Cheney said, "but why then did you hide?" He looked ashamed for a moment.

Dr. Martin abruptly closed her mouth, so quickly that her teeth clacked loudly.

"She was protecting me," came a voice from a side door.

Carolyn's head whipped around and the word "No" died on her lips though her mouth still made the form.

"And you are?" Mr. Cheney asked, though he seemed to find her familiar.

"My name is Lola. I work in the cafeteria." She walked over and sat next to her lover. "She knew how people would react, and she didn't want me to go through it."

"Wait . . ." Mr. Cheney said. "You . . .," he looked at Dr. Martin, "and her . . ."

"Yes," Carolyn said, feeling somewhat . . . relieved. "We are involved, and have been for several years. Quite loyally too, I might add." She looked over with love in her eyes. "I don't need or want anyone else."

Lola took Carolyn's hand. "She's been the world to me for years. But . . . I've got a past, as my job application clearly said. I've got a criminal record. Carolyn was afraid of what might happen if people did exactly what y'all are doin'. My parole officer would have a field day with that."

"She's a criminal?" Mrs. Brazier said indignantly. "How DARE you . . ."

Mr. Cheney actually looked annoyed. "Mrs. Brazier, someone else had the floor. And for everyone's information, there isn't a school in the district than doesn't hire EX-convicts for something or another. As long as the indiscretions are declared at time of hire, it is a perfectly legal procedure."

Lola looked at her feet. "I know this is gonna just 'cause me problems, but I can't let you all just roast her over the fire 'cause of me, or 'cause some little prick decided to get his jollies by makin' up lies about her."

"I did NOT make it up!" Thomas Brazier shouted.

Carolyn smiled. Lola had set him up, but she wanted to be the one to put him down. "You know, I don't remember anyone actually saying YOUR name? Why did you assume that you were the one she was referring to?"

The crowd murmured and several people shot the Brazier family some suspicious glances.

"I . . . I . . ." Thomas was at a loss.

"Thomas Brazier, is it true that you were the one who initiated these accusations?" Mr. Cheney said, relieved that he could actually be critical of someone who deserved it. He LIKED Dr. Martin.

"My son is not on trial here!" Thomas's father said, his voice breaking.

"No one is on trial here," Mrs. Webb said. "Though that could change. You DO realize that making false charges against someone that adversely effect their lives would be considered slander?" She looked at each board member one at a time and said, "And that to punish Mrs. Martin or her . . . companion . . . in regards to their jobs could also be the target of legal action?"

"Please," Dr. Martin said, "I don't want to start flinging threats. I love my job. I love being able to work with this woman," she said, nodding her head at Lola. "And despite all this, I would love to go back to work."

Mr. Cheney had a quick side conversation with other board members. Then he looked over the assembled group. "Is there a single actual instance that anyone here can and would be able to LEGALLY attest to in court of Dr. Martin abusing her power and making sexual advances towards a student?" He waited, only to be met with profound silence. "Then I guess that I pose the question, what are we doing here? We convened under the impression that some improper conduct had been taking place. So far, all charges seem to be no more than rumors initiated from a HIGHLY unreliable source," he added, looking straight at Thomas Brazier. "If that is the case, then the perpetrator will be dealt with in turn. I see no reason to continue to waste all of our time, and would like to personally offer both mine and the board's apology to Dr. Martin for dragging her through all of this."

There was some murmuring in the crowd, but no one objected.

"I can't believe this," said Mr. Brazier at last. "You all are actually going to let that pervert . . ."

"Can I sue him yet?" Mrs. Webb interrupted, looking around. "I really kind of wanted to sue SOMEBODY."

Mr. Brazier closed his mouth and glared.

The meeting started to adjourn. Dr. Martin knew that things weren't back to normal, but they stood a chance of going that way. She and Lola turned to Mr. and Mrs. Baker as well as Mrs. Webb. "All I can think to say is thank you. I guess I'm a little confused as to why you decided to get involved."

"As for me," Mrs. Webb said, "when the Bakers told me what was going on, I had to be here. My daughter is gay, and I know first hand how people can react when they get that news." She blushed. "I didn't handle it well, but then I realized how much I stood to lose. But I have some good news."

"What?"

"My daughter's girlfriend is actually one the largest private landowners in California. She inherited a huge amount from her grandfather. Well, Mr. Brazier is a banker who is trying to open a new branch office on land owned by one Rose McGuire, my daughter's partner. Something tells me he won't be building that branch any time soon." She smiled, then looked behind her employers.

Mr. and Mrs. Baker turned around to find their daughter standing there, her face hard to read. "So what about you? Why are you here?"

Mr. Baker swallowed his breath and his pride. "I've spent a lot of time not supporting the people who mattered. I thought this might be a good place to start."

Pat's skin flushed. "So this is guilt?"

Reginald Baker stiffened his spine. "I'd like to think it's a step towards redemption. Damn it Patrice, I'm not perfect. You don't know how sorry I am that I can't make things right by your brother, but I want to make them right by you. All I'm asking for is a chance."

Pat sniffed and covered her mouth. "Can . . . let's discuss this outside." She turned and walked towards the door, stopping to squeeze Keith's hand and tell him she'd be back in a minute.

Outside, she turned. Her mother looked nervous, but her father was still hard to read. Only his voice had belied his discomfort. "Do you have any idea how long I wanted to hear what you're saying? God, it's all Buddy and I could think about sometimes." She sighed. "It just feels . . . cheap . . . without him. But I know it's something he would want."

"So you'll come home?" her mother said, on the verge of tears.

Pat nodded. "On Monday. I'm going to the lake with my friends this weekend. But things are going to have to change." She looked at her father. "For one, I'm not going to West Point." She watched her father visibly swallow his object before she continued with, "Yet." Now her father looked perplexed. "Mr. . . . Dad, I might still go military, but if I do it will be because I chose to. Despite our differences, I'm proud of you and Uncle Lyle for serving. But if I'm going to do it, I want to find my own way there. And quite frankly, I don't know what that is anymore."

Her father nodded. He was actually proud of his daughter's stance. "Very well."

Pat looked at her mother. "I know how you feel," she started, a little choked up. "But I don't want you to pretend to care just for Buddy's sake or for Dad's. If you can't like me for me, then . . ." She stopped. She didn't know if she could handle being rejected by her mother again.

"I understand," Mary Baker replied. But she couldn't resist stepping forward and hugging her daughter. Despite her "manly" upbringing, Pat was finding it hard not to cry. Particularly when her father embraced both the women in his life.

Pat heard a little squeal of complaint and glanced towards the door. Gail, who had been eavesdropping at the door, was being led away by her ears by Keith and Benga. She smiled. Then she saw Dr. Martin and Lola, followed by Annabel Webb, exiting the building.

"Hello," Carolyn said. "I didn't mean to interrupt . . ."

"It's alright," Mary said, wiping her nose with a handkerchief. "We were . . . sorting things out."

"Hopefully they're not COMPLETELY sorted out," Dr. Martin said, "otherwise I'll be out of a job. And since you all seem determined to keep me IN a job . . ."

"Is there anything we can do to make it up to y'all?" Lola asked nervously. These people were way outside her social stratosphere.

"Just prove to all those simpletons that we did the right thing," Mr. Baker said. "And keep doing for kids like you did for our daughter."

"See? I told you they were all right," Mrs. Webb said. "Now if you all don't mind, the ladies and I are going to meet my husband and some friends at the bar. You're all welcome to join us of course."

Mary looked at her husband. "It has been a while since we've been out," she said hopefully. She knew she wasn't going to get over missing her son by sitting around the house any longer. She had grieved as much as her soul could stand.

"If you like," her husband said. "Pat," he added, turning back to his daughter. "About this trip tomorrow . . ."

"Dad, I'm going."

"I wasn't going to ask you not to. I . . . I wanted to know if you'd like to take your car?"

"My car? I don't have a . . ."

----------- ---------------------

The next morning . . .

----------- ---------------------

"I can't believe they bought you a car," Keith said from the backseat while on their way up to Art's cabin. "Particularly if they didn't know what your decision was going to be."

Pat ran her hands over the steering wheel of her new, fully decked out Toyota Prius. She had been surprised as well. "I think I'm in for an overabundance of parenting for a while. I'll have to let them know that it's not going to be as simple as just buying me stuff."

Benga smiled. "So why didn't you refuse the car?"

"Well it would be rude, particularly since they'd already bought it," Pat said primly. She looked over at the passenger seat in front, which was empty. She had felt corny doing it, but she had asked the passengers to sit in the back because her brother had never had much of an opportunity to ride in the front seat, which he had loved to do for some reason. So on this trip, he was her copilot, even if only in spirit. Neither Keith nor Benga had raised any objection. Unfortunately, she did have to listen to, "He's on my side," and "Are we there yet?" coming from behind her for the better part of an hour.

---------------- -----

At the lake . . .

---------------- -----

Pat was having an amazing time. She didn't even feel guilty about it anymore. Her brother would have been put out if she had wallowed in self pity for much longer.

She was lying in her snug one-piece bathing suit on a floating dock in the early evening hours. There had been a lot of swimming, music, barbecue and dancing, and she had partaken in all of them. She couldn't dance to save her life, but some of the others had taken her under their wings. Art's boy-toy had invited a number of friends, and things were tuning out to be quite raucous.

For now, all the rest of the crew were splashing about. All except Sally, who was sitting on the dock next to Pat. The girl's feet were dangling into the water, and the thin girl was dressed a conservative one-piece, and even had a towel wrapped around her.

"Are you okay?" Pat asked of the young woman.

"Yeah. Why?"

"You just seem . . . distant."

Sally blushed. "I'm not good at this. Being around people . . . parties . . . you know."

"Yeah, I know," Pat said, sitting up and turning until she was sitting next to Sally. "It's hard. I spent a lot of time trying to be ignored, and now I'm kind of glad no one listened to me."

"I . . . I didn't want them to ignore me. They just did anyway."

Pat smiled. "Was there anyone in particular you WANTED to pay attention to you? I've seen a few boys checking you out and . . ."

"No! I mean . . . uhm . . . no." Sally felt like an idiot.

Pat had an idea, but she didn't want to ask. It was the same question that Keith had been trying to get at when they first met. "Sally, is there anything you want to tell me? I promise I won't tell anyone."

Sally believed the other girl. And she wanted so badly to say it. So she did. "I . . . I think I'm gay."

Pat nodded. It really didn't surprise her. "I'm glad you told me," she said. "It's hard keeping feelings in like that."

Sally was marveling in how much better she felt. She had never openly said it before, even to herself. "I . . . I just don't know what to do. My folks would freak. I mean, it was great that they showed up to the meeting, but it would be different if they knew it was me."

"So are there any girls you're interested in?" Pat asked, then blushed. It hadn't occurred to her that SHE might be the victim of another crush.

Sally blushed. She knew what Pat must be thinking, and while she certainly found Pat attractive, she really hadn't put much thought into who she might be interested in. She had been struggling just to admit the truth to herself. "No. I mean, there are girls I think are cute, but I've never really gotten to know anyone well. As I said, people tend to ignore me."

Pat breathed a small sigh of relief. She had no problem with Sally being gay, but she was having enough trouble figuring out what to do with Keith. Actually, she had a pretty good idea what she wanted to do with Keith. "I think you should tell the gang that you're a lesbian. I mean, none of them are going to judge you."

"You think so?"

"I know so."

"You're gay?" came a third voice.

Sally blushed and Pat rolled her eyes as Gail popped her head up from the other side of the pier. "That's a REALLY annoying habit."

"Seriously, you're gay?" asked Gail excitedly, pulling herself up onto the dock in a revealing bikini.

Sally's pulse started racing, partly from finding herself more "outed" than intended and partly from the sight of that beautiful, wet body. "Puh . . . please . . ."

"Don't worry, I'll let you tell people. I'm just glad because I was going to try and hook you up with one of Art's friends and that would have been awkward!" Gail sat Indian style. "How long have you known?"

"Known what?" asked Todd as he and Keith swum over.

Sally was about to have a panic attack. She saw Pat looking at her, smiling supportively. But things weren't getting easier, as Benga, Art and some of his friends had arrived. But she knew she had to do it. "I'm . . . I'm . . . I'm a lesbian," she said at last. She had expected some catcalls or murmurs. She didn't expect . . .

"Well DUH!" That had come from Art. Everyone looked at him and he grinned. "Haven't you people ever heard of 'gay-dar'? Mine's been goin' off every time she walks by. She's like a lesbo missile or something."

Sally looked annoyed. Then she put her foot on his chest and pushed Art back into the water with an unceremonious "plunk." And then everyone joined together in a laugh. She blushed some more when the ovation began.

Then, the contest began as everyone began pushing everyone else into the water in an enormous game of king (or queen) of the pier. Needless to say, the only two people in competition were Pat and Benga. Pat found the big Samoan far more disciplined and savvy than many people she faced in full-on tournaments. He obviously had some background in Sumo by the way he positioned himself, and his football training helped with explosiveness. When he got his hands on Pat, it was over. There were several times she managed to use his weight against him however and sent him tumbling to the deeps. For the others, watching the two spar, despite the obvious mismatch in size and power, was actually pretty cool. No one kept track of who dunked who the most and most were content to call it a tie.

"You actually do Sumo?" Pat asked, dragging her exhausted body back onto the platform.

Evil Alpaca
Evil Alpaca
3,665 Followers