Running on Fumes Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Mark was careful and wise with his investments. When so many of his friends had bought into the trendy inter-global techno-market, Mark had scrimped and saved to put money into solid mutual funds and pension plans. He also horded precious stones with a 'just in-case attitude' that Kimmi's mother said was genetic. Mark had ancestors who had escaped Nazi-Germany with precious stones sewn into the hems of clothing. Mark was actually buried with some of the stones ancestors had brought with them to the United States.

Many of Mark's friends were wiped out by the energy crisis of 2053 and the stock market crash of 2054. Mark's investments were not too badly hurt. However his annual income had ceased to increase after 2052. His needs kept growing. The house had a balloon loan, and the interest rate skyrocketed when he was forced to re-finance in 2053. The government-mandated energy renovation in 2054 required further high-interest financing. Kimmi's mother ran up $150,000 in credit card charges before walking out on Mark and the children in 2055. Mark never seemed to have enough money to pay anything more than interest charges on any of his debts during the time period which came to be known as the upheavals.

Mark was 38 years old when the new social orders were established, in 2058. Mark owed over a million dollars all told His income was $380,000 per year. The house was his only solid asset. It could not be liquidated because he needed it for the three kids. He gave up the car, which didn't lower his debt -- He had owed more on the damn thing than it was finally sold for so his debt rose again.

Mark was a cynic. When he was told by the inter-global financial advisor that it would be smart to consolidate all of his debt so he could at least meet the interest payments Mark had laughed in the man's face. The inter-global corporations were buying up everyone's debt. People with up to $1 million in debt were allowed to refinance, with the understanding that this or that inter-global corporation would now own the loan. If you fell behind on payments, the corporation could automatically divert up to 25% of your primary income and 99% of secondary sources towards repayment. There would be no need for protracted collection attempts or court action. BLAM no more income.

Mark refused to consolidate, so, month by month he paid what he could, and watched his debt balance increase.

Mark was transfixed by the Pan-global mandated Congressional proceedings concerning the new social orders. He would watch tapes of the proceedings after work every night and rant and rave at the holo viewer. "What about due process?" he would shout. Sometimes he would go around singing an antique anthem "I sold my soul to the company store." Mark felt that allowing corporate ownership of personal debt was selling one's soul to the devil. "'Pay what you can to the people you borrow from and not a penny to anyone else," was Mark's litany. His debt grew and grew. By the time Kimmi went to college Mark no longer even pretending to meet interest payments. "They can bury me in a public grave with a pine coffin and let my debt go to hell along with me," Mark was fond of saying.

Kimmi's mother, Laura, was an artist who had turned in her paint brush for a typewriter in 2049, when Kimmi was 6 months old, to help make ends meet. Laura's pay was a drop in the bucket but at least it gave Laura a sense of financial independence. She had felt like a failure through out the first 6 years of the marriage, even though Mark insisted that it was more important for her to be home with little Marky and Victoria than that she work or worry about art work that wouldn't sell. Laura and Mark had married in 2043, when Mark was only 23 and Laura was 20. Marky was born in 2144 and Victoria was born two years later. Kimmi didn't come along until 2049.

Laura and Mark did their best not to let the children know about the vicious debt circle they were living in but the money problems ruined their marriage. Night after night Mark would come home bitter and depressed from a job he disliked to a home he had no love for. He was chronically depressed but neither he nor Laura had enough insight to seek help. No one paid any attention to his demeanor at work. All they cared about was his production level which was exemplary

Mark's feeling of hopelessness made him mean at home. Laura fought back. Pitched battles raged in the home seven days a week.

Nothing was sacred. Everything either Laura or Mark knew, liked, or, God forbid, loved, became fodder for their violence. If the violence was not physical in the morning, dinner would go flying through the air at night. Mom would end up with a black eye and a twisted arm one night. Dad would have a bloody nose the following day. Recriminations were never followed by apologies. Kiss and make up? Either parent would just as soon leave another scar.

No one ever talked about the problems at home.

The children watched, wide eyed, understanding only that their parents hated each other. Laura and Mark never gave a thought to the emotional havoc the battles were reaping upon their children. The two adults paid very little attention to the children other than to be sure that they didn't go to school naked or hungry.

Then Laura got the guts to leave. She walked out of the marriage and out of her children's lives on Christmas Eve, 2055. Laura wanted a whole new life that did not include a husband or children. She speed-typed her way into a good job at an inter-global corporation, and from there worked her way into middle management. She sent the children $1000 every birthday and Christmas.

Mark was so angry at Laura for leaving that he went to Court and had her visitation rights terminated. Kimmi's siblings were angry at their father for making their mother leave and at their mother for leaving. Kimmi was too young to understand.

By the time Kimmi's mother left home, Kimmi had learned that any expression of anger would bring devastation into her life. Any slightly ruffled feather in her nest was terrifying. She became a peacemaker who would try anything to prevent family members from getting upset. But of course her efforts were fruitless. Every time she opened her mouth someone would scream, throw something or strike out. The home was a war zone.

Kimmi learned to do exactly what she was told without question. Tears and fears, and arguments were not worth the havoc they would wreak. Kimmi got up for school on time did her chores, did her damnedest not to irritate her father or either of her siblings, and went to sleep each night grateful for a little respite from the stomach-wrenching anxiety of keeping the peace.

Mark really, really did love his children. It was just so damned hard to go through day after boring but anxiety-filled day at work, where he was never sure if he would be the next to be laid off, without feeling resentment and anger. It was just that Mark didn't know who or what his resentment and anger was directed at. His home and kids were easy targets. So he lashed out a lot. He never went in search of the happy life he had wanted. It slipped through his fingers. He just watched it go.

Mark slipped into deep depression and dragged his way to and from work seeing a future of old age, infirmity and death. Mark took out a $5 million life insurance policy in 2057, two years after Laura walked out. The policy was they only thing Mark paid in full, month after month, year after year.

One day in 2067 when Mark was 47 years old he was run over by a commuter train on his way to work. The train platform had been crowded and no one could say what really happened. After a two year battle the life insurance company settled the claim with poor grace by paying off Mark's debts and attorneys fees and giving each remaining child $500,000. It was a bargain for the insurance company. Laura got nothing.

Neither Mark nor the children knew, but Laura had developed an affection for vodka during the last two years of the marriage. She became angrier and crazier as the years passed. Finally, in 2065 she was diagnosed as bi-polar. The medication made a world of difference, but she continued to drink from time to time. Laura was a different person in 2067 than she had been during her marriage to Mark.

Kimmi had been stunned to see her mother at the funeral. Her brother and sister were furious that Laura showed up. When Laura went to the tomb with the rest of the family, Victoria got so mad that she shoved Laura. Laura fell headlong into Mark's tomb. The entire scene was a catastrophe. Kimmi later said it reminded her of one of those very old Ingmar Bergman flicks.

The existence of the life insurance policy was disclosed at what Kimmi was always to think of as 'the pathetic will reading' after the burial. There was another screaming scene in the lawyer's office. Victoria had been sure that Laura had somehow known about the policy and was present only to see if there was some way she could get her hands on some of the money. Kimmi got up enough nerve to tell Victoria to shut up. How could Laura have known about the policy? It had been locked in Mark's safe deposit box. Victoria threw herself at Kimmi. Marky had stepped between them threatening to strangle them both if they didn't behave. Kimmi was incensed. It was Victoria's fault. Everyone knew what a vile temper Victoria had.

Laura started laughing. "Its clear you all get your temperaments from both sides of the family," she said.

"That's not fair," Kimmi said. "I hardly ever lose my temper, but I'm sick of hearing Victoria's crap. I've been listening to it all my life." Victoria was ready to fight again but the lawyer came out with some papers to sign just in the nick of time.

Laura wanted to work things out so she could re-enter the children's lives, but Marky and Victoria were still too angry to talk. Kimmi agreed to meet her mother after school the following Friday.

It had been ten years since Laura had seen the children when she showed up at Mark's funeral. Kimmi was 18 years old, and a senior in high school. Victoria and Mark were both struggling through college.

Mark had established labor codes for Victoria and Marky when the first social orders were issued in 2058. Victoria was a nurturing child when she had her temper under control. Mark set her up for medical training under a "white" code. Victoria went straight into nursing as soon as she received her degree. Marky was a "green" educator like his father. The "green" code was a coup. It entitled Marky to full scholarships through a doctorial program in a selected field.

Now, at age 36, Marky was well a head of the game with a permanent green code, no debt, a wife who also had a green code and three beautiful children. He and his wife had made peace with Laura and moved to Oregon where Marky taught behavioral sciences to undergraduates.

Victoria had also done well for herself. As a white she had gotten what she wanted - access to eligible bachelor doctors with good earning potentials. She finished nursing school in record time, and moved to Colorado. She married Dr. David Dixon, OB, and GYN and would be delivering her third baby boy in December. She had the house, the cars, the swimming pool, the cleaning staff, a well paid job and a very busy husband.

Kimmi's college years had fled by. She got through the undergraduate program on student loans in three years. Krowe Corporation had latched on to her in her senior year and promised her a full scholarship for her masters degree if she gave them a four year commitment after graduation. This was fine with her. She finished her masters program in 2074. Now, five years later she was still with Krowe in the blue code position. She had earned a lot of perquisites and a few awards, but had never bothered to obtain subsidiary status or to upgrade her status to anything more permanent than mid-level blue. It hadn't seemed necessary. Until today.

Now she realized she had been like the grasshopper in the fable. Looking only at summertime and not planning for winter. Kimmi was horrified at herself. How could I have been so damn stupid? Dad warned me and warned me not to be complacent about job security. I let the four year commitment expire happily, thinking about freedom of choice. I ignored the economic signs. All hell has broken loose in the labor market. New layoffs are announced every day. All of the pan-globals have sought declassification of some labor categories. Does Dad's adage still stand up that as long as there are pan-global corporations there will be human resource specialists? I doubt it. No one has come to me complaining about their treatment by Krowe in at least 7 months. Our work load has gone down dramatically, Kimmi realized with a start. Are human resource specialists going to be the next to go?

What'll I do if that happens? Go back to school? Maybe I could swing it if I moved in with Alex. Is that what I want, though? Life as Alex's other half could be awfully tedious. At least the way things are these days. He doesn't know me half as well as he thinks he does. Sure he cares about me, but it's like I'm one of his belongings, not like he really considers me to be a partner. We haven't even really been sleeping together that much lately. Not that I mind. I keep wondering "is that all there is to sex and relationships? Ownership and grunting under the sheets? Christ. This is a nightmare. I wonder if Alex knows anything. Maybe he'll' buy me lunch and I can interrogate him subtly."

So Kimmi put on her brightest smile after closing down her computer. I'm glad you're here. I was going to work through lunch but I realized I was starving the minute you walked in my door. What have you brought me, anyway?" Alex had stopped off at a vending machine and picked up a tired bouquet of roses for Kimmi. .It really was very thoughtful of him. Kimmi adored roses.

"Thanks," she said as she took the bundle of red long stems out of Alex's arms. What's the occasion?

"Oh, nothing really," Alex said. "I just realized on my way over here that we haven't done anything romantic in a while. I thought I'd set a mood by bringing flowers and seeing if you're free for lunch."

"Oh. That's sweet. Let me get a vase." She spoke into her microphone, "server one, please dispatch a flower vase to cubicle thirty seven, authorization zed 61.

AFFIRMATIVE, the automated server replied, COMMAND COMPLETE. A vase appeared in the cubby hole next to Kimmi's desk.

"I love these servers," Kimmi said.

"I know. They're quite an addition to the workplace. Now if they would just dress them up in short skirts and high heels and teach them to run around men's desks, we'd really have something special."

"You pig," Kimmi exclaimed, laughing. I didn't know that was what you wanted in a woman. And here I was so set in my ways as a macho mamma. You wanted Secretary Susan all along. Do you think there's any hope for this relationship," Kimmi asked, flirting outrageously.

Alex's ego was flattered. It was rare that Kimmi showed any real concern about the status of their relationship. They both took it for granted, but they took it different ways. Kimmi thought the relationship was nice, comfortable and right. She didn't really believe in the bells and whistles that other women were always longing for. Kimmi thought what she had with Alex was about as good as it gets. She wasn't in a hurry, however, to get married.

"So where do you want to go for lunch?" Alex asked.

"I don't know. How much time do you have? I'd kind of like to get some sun."

"I have plenty of time. There's a good Tex-Mex place on the far side of the courtyard. It has some tables outside. I thought it was supposed to rain, though."

"Not until tonight." Kimmi said. "If it has outside table, I'm game. This time of year I start to really feel the pull of the sun."

It was mid-June. The days were long and the beaches were starting to get crowded during the weekends. Kimmi loved summertime. She had a theory that people were happiest during the time of year they were born. Kimmi was a summer baby.

Kimmi and Alex walked out of the building and into the mall. They headed for the tube. The tube was a super fast people mover that operated like an elevator connected to a subway. It was an essential part of the humongous business and shopping complex that covered hundreds of miles of southeastern Pennsylvania. The complex had started out as the largest shopping mall in the world in the 20th Century. Then office buildings had connected up to the complex. A transportation system that was decades ahead of anything in the United States had been put in a fifty years ago. The complex and the transportation system kept growing and growing. Now it was the premier workplace complex and a model for modern American living. Of course people had their homes away from the complex. Some employees came from as far away as Harrisburg and Northern New Jersey to work at the complex. Over the years, pan-globals all over the world had built complexes similar to this one, which had really sprung up by accident.

Alex punched in their destination and they stood side by side during the ride to the outer rim of the mall. The tube had stops every eight minutes. Kimmi amused herself during the ride by recalling her first year psychology course and predicting where each new rider would stand while the tube made its way through the complex. If there were three people in the car they would form a triangle. With four there would be a person in each corner. Five - four in the corners and one in the middle. It became more complicated after that but Kimmi could always tell where a new rider would position him or herself in the car. And of course everyone faced front, watched the light indicator over the doors and stood as still and silent as possible. Tube etiquette fascinated Kimmi. She always wanted to do something truly outrageous during long rides in the tube, like grabbing the nearest bald, aging businessman and giving him a hard wet kiss.

The ride took sixteen minutes and they arrived at the restaurant just as a large group of pink collar clerks were leaving. Kimmi and Alex grabbed a table on the outside terrace. The complex was relatively environmentally friendly. The view from the terrace was refreshing. There was a great field below the terrace which stretched out for about a half mile. There was a wide creek at the end of the field. The grass in the field was long and graced with wild flowers. If you listened you could hear the buzz of bumble bees in the flowers below the restaurant. The scent of honey suckle was strong. Looking closely you could see buttercups and clover and Queen Anne's lace interspersed with the grass in the field. As she was seated, Kimmi noticed riders on horse back at the far end of the field. As she watched they trotted down to the creek and let the horses drink. Kimmi felt rejuvenated just watching the scene from her seat at the table.

"This was a great idea," Kimmi said. "Look over there," she pointed at the horses. "What wouldn't I give to have free time on a day like today to play?"

A wait-droid came over with a bowl of tortilla chips and salsa. He handed them menus and described the day's specials.

"I feel like some wine," Kimmi said. "What about you, Alex?"

"That sounds good. How about a bottle of chardonnay?" Alex gave the waiter their selection. The waiter moved on to another table. Alex and Kimmi opened their menus. Alex snagged a tortilla chip, dunked it in salsa and started munching.

"Yumm, this is good salsa, try some," Alex said, handing Kimmi a chip.

Kimmi popped the chip into her mouth. "Hot! Oh that's good. So what do you have on your calendar this week, Alex?" Kimmi asked.

"Oh, we're running some security protocols. They'll be both on line and physical. Expect to get an evacuation alert sometime this week."