Sabella & Malcolm Ch. 06

Story Info
Carolyn makes another surprise visit, Malcolm & Mark speak.
5.8k words
4.73
25.1k
10

Part 6 of the 15 part series

Updated 10/15/2022
Created 03/01/2009
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
mspat
mspat
545 Followers

Mark was sitting in his hotel suite on his laptop researching the information Sabella had given him about Malcolm and the Double M ranch when his Yahoo messenger chat box appeared on the screen. It was Sabella wanting to chat with him.

Sabella: r u busy?

GaMark: never too busy for you.

Sabella: I just wanted to say goodnight. Going to bed. Surprised my laptop works.

GaMark: sleep tight. Don't let the big Texan bite. Glad your laptop works.

Sabella: U r not funny. Scared.

GaMark: bet u smiled. Don't be scared. I will get you back home count on it.

Sabella: gnight. Luv you. Tell Lil Sabella, Auntie luvs her.

GaMark: Night. Luv u 2.

Sabella: Luv u 2 Gina.

"How did she know I was sitting beside you?" Regina teased.

"You know Sabella," Mark said, "she's going to cover all the bases."

"Why didn't you tell her you paid off the mortgage on her house?" Regina asked.

"It wasn't the right time," Mark said. "She wanted comfort and reassurance so that's what I have her. I'll tell her about the mortgage when I talk to her again."

"You're a wonderful big brother, husband and father," Regina said kissing Mark lightly on the lips as she said each word. "You know what all the women in your life needs, and you have no problems providing it."

"I might fail my sister in her need to get back home," Mark sighed, his voice holding a hint of hopelessness.

"If you fail to find a way to bring Sabella back to us, it'll be for the same reason she traveled back in time, it was beyond both your's and Sabella's controls," Regina said. "And there was nothing you could do to bring her back."

"I don't know if I can accept that Gina," Mark said. "I don't know if I can accept failure in this situation."

"You might not have a choice baby," Regina said. "Just like Sabella had no control over being sent back in time, you might not have any control over whether or not she comes back."

"Don't say that, Gina," Mark pleaded. "Sabella is all the blood family, I have left besides our daughter. I can't lose her."

"You won't lose her, baby," Regina reassured him putting her arms around him. "We can still talk to Sabella using both our phone, and as we discovered tonight that her laptop works meaning we can communicate with her using our computers too, and we might even be able to see her if she remembers her computer has a built in web cam. So you see, we might not be able to touch her, but we will be able to talk to her and see her."

Mark knew that his wife was trying to comfort him, trying to get him to see the positive side of the situation if he isn't able to bring his sister back, and he would take solace and comfort in those things if he couldn't bring Sabella back, but he wouldn't give up. Not until he did everything he could to bring his sister back.

Sheriff Jenkins walked into his office and slammed the door shut behind him letting his deputies that unless the world was coming to an end, he wasn't to be disturbed.

The cause of his anger was learning that Carolyn Winters hadn't seen nor had she learned anything about the woman staying in Malcolm's home. Meaning he was right back where he started. Uninformed.

Carolyn said Malcolm didn't invite her into his home, and he blocked her when she tried to enter his house uninvited, so she didn't make it pass the front door.

Carolyn assure Sheriff Jenkins she wouldn't give up because she was as determined as he was to find out all she could about Malcolm's guest.

'She maybe determined,' Sheriff Jenkins thought to himself, 'but her determination doesn't do anything towards providing with what I want most right now, but I'm just as determined as she is to find a way to get what I want.'

Sabella's eyes opened and she looked around the room, she closed her eyes again when she realized that she was still in Malcolm's house, she hadn't returned to 2009 as she prayed and hoped she would be when she went to bed last night.

Sabella turned over and picked up her watch off the nightstand, looked at it and saw that it was eleven o'clock.

Oh, my goodness,' Sabella thought to herself as she threw the covers back, got out of bed and headed to the bathroom. 'Malcolm and Mabel are going to think I'm the laziest person around.'

Sabella jumped into the shower, cleaned her body, dried off, brushed her teeth, got dressed, combed her hair and made her way downstairs. She found Mabel in the kitchen preparing lunch for Malcolm and his ranch hands.

"I'm sorry I overslept," she said digging in and helping Mabel as it had become her habit to do everyday.

"You didn't oversleep, child," Mabel said smiling at her. "Malcolm told me to let you sleep because you had a tough night, and you didn't go to bed until three this morning."

"He's right," Sabella said wondering how Malcolm knew what time she went to bed.

Sabella was about to ask Mabel if there was anything else she could do to help out when she felt a wet nose on the back of her leg. She looked down and saw Lobo, Malcolm's German Shepherd standing next to her waiting on his morning head rub.

"Hello, boy," Sabella said kneeling down and giving Lobo his morning head rub as he gave her, her morning lick. "How are you this morning?"

Lobo barked as if he was trying to say that he was fine.

Sabella was still rubbing Lobo's head when she felt a wet nose on her face. She turned to see Spinner, Malcolm's Great Dane looking her in the eyes.

"Hi, Spinner," she said rubbing his head. "Are you jealous because I'm giving Lobo all of my attention?"

Spinner barked as if he was saying yes.

"I'm sorry baby," Sabella said putting her arms around the huge dog's neck. "You know I wouldn't ignore you on purpose."

Malcolm stood in the doorway of the kitchen amazed at the sight, he saw before him.

Sabella had been in his home a week and the woman had taken his three well trained guard dogs and turned them into three huge lap dogs, who followed her around like, she dropped doggy treats as she walked by them.

They were all still good guard dogs, it was the fact that they all had become so attached to Sabella that surprised Malcolm. Especially since neither of the three dogs were very social creatures.

He was about to walk into the kitchen when Chopper his Border Collie shot passed him and headed over to Sabella to get his morning head rub and to give her, her morning lick.

"Your fan club is going to have to leave my kitchen," Mabel said her tone teasing.

"You hear that boys," Sabella teased, "we're all being thrown out of the kitchen."

All the dogs started whining.

"See what you've done Mabel?" Sabella said giving Mabel a sad face, "you've hurt my boys feelings."

"Your boys will be happier out in the back yard," Mabel said, "and out of my kitchen."

"Come on boys," Sabella said her tone haughty, "we know when we're not welcomed."

She turned to leave the kitchen and almost bumped into Malcolm who was still standing in the doorway.

"Excuse me," Sabella said. "I didn't see you standing there."

"How did you sleep last night?" Malcolm asked slipping his hands into the back pockets of his jeans.

"Very well, when I was finally able to sleep," Sabella replied smiling at him, "after I chatted with my brother."

Malcolm noticed the way her eyes would light up when she spoke of her brother.

"I'm glad your brother could help you get to sleep," Malcolm said pushing down the hint of jealousy, he felt at Sabella seeking comfort from her brother instead of him. "You know I wouldn't mind listening if you felt the need to talk."

"You.... Thank you," Sabella said her eyes unable to hide her surprise that Malcolm would make such an offer. "It was nice of you to offer."

"I mean it," Malcolm stressed. "Any time you want to talk, I'll gladly listen."

"Come on boys," Sabella said speaking to the three dogs. "We had better get out of here while the getting's good," she said looking over at Mabel, who smiled at her as Sabella and the dogs exited out the back door.

"What has she done to my dogs?" Malcolm asked once he and Mabel were alone in the kitchen. "She has turned three very good guard dogs into three huge lap dogs who follow her around to do her bidding."

"You know they say that animals can tell the real nature of a person," Mabel said. "Maybe those three huge lap dogs see the true nature of Sabella, and they see her for the kind loving person she is."

"Who are you talking about?"

Malcolm and Mabel turned surprised to see Carolyn standing in the doorway of the kitchen.

"I'm going out back to check on the laundry," Mabel said knowing she needed to get to Sabella to keep her from coming back into the house while Carolyn was there.

"You're still hanging the wash outside?" Carolyn asked. "Why aren't you using the dryer, I helped Malcolm pick out when he renovated the house?"

"I like the smell the clothes have after they've been dried in the sun," Mabel said, "and you can't get that from a dryer."

"Mabel, Mabel," Carolyn said stepping further into the kitchen, "you're going to have to give up some of your old fashioned ways and get with modern times. Using the dryer would make things easier for yourself. You're getting up in age, and you should use the new modern conveniences to lessen your workload."

"You want to see how my getting up in age and my workload is effecting me?" Mabel asked her voice tense and threatening. "You and I could go out in the backyard and wrestle. Then we could see who's in better shape you or me."

"Go tend to the laundry, Mabel," Malcolm said joining the conversation and easing Mabel towards the back door. "I'll deal with Carolyn."

"Tellin me, I'm getting older," Mabel muttered as she left the kitchen. "I can still kick her butt."

"How do you deal with her?" Carolyn asked Malcolm as she watched Mabel exit the kitchen.

"What are you doing here?" Malcolm asked ignoring Carolyn's question, "and what gives you the right to just walk into my home without knocking?"

"I came by to apologize for just showing up here yesterday," Carolyn said. "I wanted you to know that I was sorry for doing such a thing."

"Let me get this straight," Malcolm said his anger at Carolyn and her actions coming through in his voice. "You came over here today without calling to apologize for coming over yesterday without calling, and you make this apology by barging into my home without knocking. Is that what you're saying Carolyn?"

"When you put it like that you make my apology seem like a ploy to get into your house," Carolyn remarked.

"It sounds that way because that's what it is," Malcolm said.

"Why are you getting so upset?" Carolyn asked. "As a friend I would think I would be welcomed in your home anytime I wanted to visit."

"As a friend you should respect my wishes when I tell you, I don't have time for visitors," Malcolm said.

"What is going on with you?" Carolyn asked giving Malcolm an intense look. "Every since this Sabella person has come to town you've stayed hold up in this house not coming to town for anything. People are starting to talk and their growing suspicious of the way you've been acting."

"People are starting to talk and grow suspicious of what?" Malcolm almost screamed. "The fact that I have a visitor who has no interest in meeting or getting to know any of my friends or associates? That is her right."

"It's not normal!," Carolyn screamed back. "The woman is acting as if she's got something to hide, like she's committed a crime or something. Even Sheriff Jenkins thinks she's on the run from the police."

"Sheriff Jenkins?" Malcolm said. "What does he have to do with this?" Are you here trying to gather information about Sabella to take back to him?"

"He just asked me to come by and see if I could get a look at the woman so that he could check and make sure, she's not on the run from the police. He was only looking out for you, Malcolm and the rest of the people of Culbert County."

"You need to leave Carolyn," Malcolm said trying to wring in his anger.

"I was only trying to look out for you," Carolyn said.

"I don't need you to look out for me," Malcolm said. "I'm capable of looking out for myself. The only thing I want you to do for me is to keep your nose out of my business, and you can go back and tell Sheriff Jenkins that Sabella hasn't committed any crimes, so he can quit worrying that she's a danger to anyone in Culbert County."

"I'm sorry, Malcolm," Carolyn said. "I wasn't trying to insult you or your guest. I was truly worried about you."

"No you weren't," Malcolm said. "You came over here seeking information neither you nor Sheriff Jenkins is entitled to. This is my house and I have the right to invite anyone, I chose to stay here. There isn't a law that says I have to introduce my guests to the Sheriff, you or anyone else in Culbert County. I want you to leave Carolyn, and I don't want to see you on my land again unless I invite you, in other words; no more surprise visits, no more walking into my house because you find the doors unlocked. Have I made myself clear?"

"Yes," Carolyn replied as she made her way to the front door.

Malcolm followed behind her closing the door in her face when she turned to him once again to apologize.

'Sabella was right', Malcolm thought to himself. 'Carolyn and the Sheriff are working together.'

They were both trying to find out about Sabella.

He knew why Carolyn wanted to know about Sabella, to protect a relationship that would never exist between him and her.

It was the Sheriff's interest in Sabella he couldn't understand.

'Why was the man working so hard to find out the identity of a woman he couldn't possibly know?' Malcolm asked himself.

While Malcolm was dealing with Carolyn, Sabella took the back stairs and made her way upstairs to her room. Tired of feeling victimized, she decided she needed to start fighting and protecting herself possibly using the law of the day.

Sabella realized the thing that crippled or made most African-Americans victims during the 1950's was their inability or limited ability to gain access to information that would garner them the protection they needed and were entitled to.

Well, she was in 1954, but she wasn't defenseless. She had tools she could use to protect herself, and she would use them. She had to use them. Sheriff Jenkins was dangerous and she wouldn't be caught like a defenseless new born babe, going against him.

Sabella went into her room, closed the door and pulled out her laptop. She turned it on and waited for it to power up and connect to the internet.

She breathed a sigh of relief when she clicked on her web browser and her homepage appeared. She clicked on the search bar and typed in; Texas Segregation Laws, and she waited for the results.

She got over a million possible results.

'This is going to take some time,' Sabella thought to herself, 'but it has to be done.' Her determination in place she clicked on the first result and started the research that just might keep her safe in 1954.

Sheriff Jenkins walked into his office surprised to find Malcolm Matheson waiting for him. The look on his Malcolm's face told him the conversation they were going to have wasn't going to be a pleasant one.

"Hello, Malcolm," Sheriff Jenkins said his tone revealing his surprise at seeing Malcolm in his office. "What brings you to town today?"

"You," Malcolm replied his voice curt and tense.

"Me?" Sheriff Jenkins replied pretending he didn't know why Malcolm would want to see him.

"Yes, you, Sheriff," Malcolm said. "I came by so you could ask me the questions you asked both Mabel and Carolyn about me. Although I don't understand why you would question Carolyn about anything concerning me or what's going own in my home, since she wouldn't know anything at all."

"I don't recall asking either Mabel or Carolyn anything about you," Sheriff Jenkins said.

"I apologize," Malcolm said. "I misspoke. You didn't ask them anything about me. Your focus seems to be on my houseguest, and I would like to know why you're so interested in her."

"I'm just doing my job, Malcolm," Sheriff Jenkins said. "Your guest is behaving suspiciously, and I'm just trying to figure out why."

"There is nothing suspicious about my houseguest's behavior," Malcolm said.

"If you would introduce her to me, it would go a long way towards easing my mind about her," Sheriff Jenkins said.

"My houseguest doesn't want to meet you," Malcolm said, "and I'm not going to force her to do so, and if you keep harassing me and my visitors I'm going to cause a lot of trouble for you and your Uncle the Mayor."

"Are you threatening me?" Sheriff Jenkins asked.

There was a knock at the door before Malcolm could answer the Sheriff.

"Come in," the Sheriff snarled.

In walked the Mayor, Jethro Jones. A sixty-eight year old, grey haired, balding man, standing five feet, ten inches tall, weighing about two hundred-fifty pounds most of it centering around his belly.

"What's going on here?" the Mayor asked looking back and forth between Malcolm and his nephew.

"I'm here to ask your nephew why he's harassing me," Malcolm said, "and to warn him that if he doesn't stop, I'm going to cause big problems for you and for him."

"The Sheriff won't be causing you anymore trouble," Mayor Jones said looking over at his nephew. "Will you Carl?"

"He just threatened me!" Sheriff Jenkins said.

"I didn't threaten him," Malcolm said. "I simply told him the same thing I just told you. Either he leaves me alone or there will be trouble."

"You have my word Malcolm," Mayor Jones said, "if the Sheriff bothers you again I'll see to it that he loses his job."

Sheriff Jenkins head shot up and his eyes grew big when he heard what his Uncle said.

"I don't want anyone to lose their job," Malcolm said. "I simply want to be left alone."

"You have my word," Mayor Jones assured him, "no one from this office will bother you again. Will they Carl?"

Carl grudgingly agreed with his Uncle not to bother, Malcolm or to go on to his property again without a legal reason to do so.

"Thank you J.J.," Malcolm said. "I'm trusting you to keep your nephew in line."

"I promise you Carl won't bother you or your guest again," the Mayor said.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" the Mayor asked slapping Sheriff Jenkins upside the head. "Why are you dipping into the business of the wealthiest man in the county? Are you trying to cost both of us our jobs?"

"No, I'm not," Sheriff Jenkins said, "but something is going on, on that ranch."

"Whatever's going on, on that ranch is none of our business," J.J. said to his nephew. "Malcolm is a legacy and we don't mess with legacies."

Sheriff Jenkins sat down in his chair the wind gone out of his sail because his Uncle was right. He couldn't touch Malcolm because he was a legacy.

The situation had become a challenge to him now and a challenge was something Carl Jenkins couldn't pass up. Legacy or not he was going to find out who, Malcolm's houseguest was.

Malcolm pulled up into his driveway, got out of his car anxious to tell Sabella about his visit to the Sheriff's office.

He was glad he would be able to tell her, she didn't have to worry about Sheriff Jenkins any longer because he had the assurance of the Mayor that Jenkins wouldn't bother them again.

When he entered the house Malcolm heard Mabel and Sabella in the kitchen laughing, so he headed towards the kitchen.

"How did it go?" Mabel asked when he walked into the kitchen.

"The Mayor promised that Carl wouldn't bother us again," Malcolm said.

"How did you manage that?" Sabella asked.

"It was probably because he's a le...."

"I told him if the Sheriff didn't stop harassing me, I was going to rain, all kinds of trouble on him and the Sheriff," Malcolm said stopping Mabel before she could finish what she was about to say.

mspat
mspat
545 Followers
12