Sabella & Malcolm Ch. 08

Story Info
Carolyn meets RaeLynn.
5k words
4.7
24.2k
9

Part 8 of the 15 part series

Updated 10/15/2022
Created 03/01/2009
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
mspat
mspat
545 Followers

Malcolm walked into the house and found Sabella standing in the foyer.

They stared at each other both knowing what the other was thinking.

Neither of them said a word as Sabella went upstairs to her room and Malcolm headed into the kitchen to eat breakfast.

"Who was at the door?" Mabel asked as he sat down at the table to eat.

"Ed Winters," Malcolm replied picking up his cup of coffee and taking a sip. "He came to find out why I told Carolyn to stop just showing up here uninvited."

"How did he take your answer?" Mabel asked.

"The only way he could," Malcolm said pushing his plate away, "he accepted it."

"How much you want to be the Sheriff sent him?" Mabel said.

"Probably with a little crying from Carolyn complaining about how badly I treated her," Malcolm said.

Sabella walked into the kitchen, went over to the cabinet, reached up and grabbed a glass, went over to the refrigerator, opened it, grabbed the carton of juice and poured herself a glass.

"Breakfast is still warm," Mabel said.

"Juice is enough for me this morning," Sabella said. "Thanks for offering."

Mabel and Malcolm watched Sabella as she left the kitchen.

"She's feeling guilty about the trouble you're having with the Sheriff, Carolyn, and now Ed," Mabel said.

"Why?" Malcolm asked. "None of this is her fault."

"I know that, you know that, even Sabella knows it," Mabel said, "but that doesn't keep her from feeling guilty."

"I'll talk to her," Malcolm said as he stood to leave the kitchen.

"Somebody needs to talk to those three troublemakers in town," Mabel said thrusting her hands into the dishwater.

"Ow!"

"What is it?" Malcolm asked rushing over to her.

"I cut my hand on the butcher knife," Mabel said taking her hand out of the dishwater.

Blood was rapidly streaming from the palm of Mabel's hand.

"Sabella!" Malcolm shouted as he took a dishcloth and applied pressure to the cut to try and stop the bleeding.

The sound of Malcolm's voice when he called her name told Sabella to bring her medical bag with her. So she did.

She was glad she brought her medical bag when she went into the kitchen and saw blood coming from Mabel's hand and Malcolm applying pressure trying to stop the flow of blood.

"Drain the sink," she told Malcolm as she made her way over to Mabel, taking hold of her hand.

Malcolm drained the sink and removed the dishes.

"It's alright," Mabel said nonchalantly. "It's just a cut."

"I'll be the judge of that," Sabella said applying pressure to the cut.

"I can't believe I did something so dumb," Mabel said. "I know better than to just stick my hand in dirty dishwater."

"No since beating yourself up over something that's already happened," Malcolm said. "You'll just have to be more careful next time.

"It's not serious," Sabella said after examining the cut on the bottom of Mabel's hand. "A couple of stitches and a bandage and she'll be fine. You'll have to stay out of the kitchen for awhile."

"Whose going to cook?" Mabel asked, "and take care of Malcolm?"

"I'm sure Malcolm can take care of himself until you're able to get back on your feet," Sabella said.

"The boy can't boil water," Mabel chuckled.

"The boy is standing right here," Malcolm said reminding the ladies that he was still in the room.

"I guess you'll have to take over the kitchen," Mabel said to Sabella.

"I think both Malcolm and I should take over the kitchen," Sabella said.

"Meaning?" Malcolm asked.

"Meaning you're going to learn how to cook," Sabella said.

"Cooking is woman's work," Malcolm said.

"Cooking is the job of anyone who wants a say in what they eat," Sabella said, "or wants to stay alive. Besides in the future there is no such thing as woman's or man's work."

"Does that mean that women are growing beards and men are having babies in the future?" Malcolm asked.

"Those are biological functions," Sabella said, "and nothing can change those. What I'm saying is that any job a man can do a woman can and is doing. Even fighting in combat during wartime."

"You're lying," Malcolm said his tone unbelieving.

"No, I'm not," Sabella said.

"The next thing you'll tell me is a woman's President," Malcolm said teasing.

"We came very close," Sabella said.

"A woman ran for President?" Malcolm asked.

"Two women ran for President," Sabella said.

"You're telling me the country's going to hell in a hand basket," Malcolm said.

"I'm saying that the country is living up to what it started out to be," Sabella said, "a place where all its citizens are treated equally and given a chance to live out their dreams. Come on Mabel," Sabella said picking up her medical bag and still applying pressure to Mabel's injured hand. "I'll fix your hand upstairs, the smell of testosterones in, here is beginning to make me gag."

"Testosterone?" Mabel asked.

"Male hormones," Sabella replied.

Malcolm ran his hand over his face, he'd done it again. Using that thing between his nose and his chin he had upset Sabella.

"I'm sorry," Malcolm said. "I wasn't trying to upset you."

"You're just stating your opinion of women when it comes to being anywhere other than the kitchen," Sabella said.

"I don't have a low opinion of women," Malcolm said insulted by her remark. "My mother was the strongest person I know."

"Why did you make that crack about the country going to hell in a hand basket if a woman were President?" Sabella asked.

"I just can't see a woman becoming President," Malcolm said. "The thought is too big for me to wrap my mind around. It's like believing a colored man could become President."

Sabella was about to tell him a black man was President when Malcolm stopped her from speaking thinking that she thought he had a problem with colored peopled.

"I don't have a problem with colored people either," he said holding his hands out in surrender. "It's just the way the world works, certain things aren't going to happen."

Sabella didn't say anything in response to what Malcolm said. She turned her attention back to Mabel and her injured hand. She led Mabel's upstairs to the bathroom where she stitched and bandage the hand.

"Malcolm isn't a bad person," Mabel said as Sabella finished putting the bandage on. "He's just used to the way things are."

"I know," Sabella said, "and I understand that, but I'm not used to the way things are, that's why I have to get back to my time."

"Maybe you were sent back here to bring about a change," Mabel said.

"I don't think so," Sabella said chuckling. "I'm not the person meant to bring about any change during this time."

"Maybe you're meant to change one person instead of the whole of society," Mabel said.

"And who might that be?" Sabella teased.

"Malcolm," Mabel replied.

Sabella's eyes grew big. "You're kidding," she said.

"You've changed him already," Mabel said. "Did he tell you about his father?"

"Yes," Sabella replied. "He told me about his father being the Grand Wizard of the K.K.K. and about him burning down his best friend's home with him and his family in side."

"Because of what happened to his best friend Malcolm never became close to anyone again," Mabel said. "He felt that becoming friends with him would put people in danger so, he never allowed anyone to get close to him. It was his way of protecting himself and others."

Sabella understood that because Malcolm was so young when he witnessed the intentional death of his best friend and his best friend's family by his father that it would leave him scarred emotionally, so his desire to keep people at bay would be understandable but shed didn't believe that her being there would change the situation. Something that Mabel saw in her eyes.

"I understand why you don't believe your being here has brought a change in Malcolm," Mabel said, "but you have to believe me that it has. The morning he found you, his normal reaction would've been to solve the problem by calling the Sheriff and letting him deal with the situation. But, he didn't do that with you. The very first day he met you, he was concerned about you, protective, and you have to know that allowing you to stay in his home is very unusual and the ramifications if anyone finds out could be great."

"I can't argue with what you're saying about Malcolm allowing me to stay here because I know you're right," Sabella said, "and as far as his attitude towards me, I'm going to have to take your word on that. I think his behavior could have to do with the fact that I'm from the future, and he's curious about it and me."

"You might be right about him being curious about you and the future," Mabel said, "but his interest in you goes deeper than that. The way he protects you and keeps you hidden is Malcolm going out of his way and in all the years that I've known him, he's never done that for anyone. Because of his father, Malcolm became a hermit in every since of the word. A cold hard man, who only wanted to be left alone. That is until you came along."

"Let me take care of your hand," Sabella said ignoring what Mabel was saying and wanting to change the subject.

But, she didn't have to say anything because Mabel saw in her eyes that she believed what she said, and she would be thinking about it.

A few days later Mabel was in the grocery store when she bumped into Carolyn, who was surprised to see that Mabel had injured her hand.

"Whose taking care of Malcolm?" Carolyn asked.

"His friend Sabella brought her assistant with her," Mabel said. "She's taking over the cooking, cleaning, and doing all the things I can't do."

"Malcolm has two ladies staying with him?" Carolyn asked.

"Yes," Mabel said.

"Why didn't anyone mention this assistant when I visited Malcolm?" Carolyn asked.

"Maybe because it was none of your business," Mabel replied.

"I'm going to stop by Malcolm to see if he needs my help," Carolyn said.

"I suggest you call him," Mabel said. "I don't think he would appreciate you just stopping by."

"I'm sure he won't mind," Carolyn said. "I would simply be stopping by to see how he's doing since you've gone and injured yourself. There's no harm in that."

"There's plenty of harm if he doesn't want to see you," Mabel remarked. "Which is why I'm suggesting you call instead of just showing up at his home."

"I think I know Malcolm better than you do," Carolyn said her tone haughty, ,"since I've known him longer than you have, and I'm sure he won't mind me stopping by."

Mabel around and left turned leaving Carolyn standing in front of the grocery store wondering to herself why she tried to talk, some sense into the woman when she knew she wouldn't listen and talking to her always left her with a headache.

When Mabel returned to Malcolm's, she told him about the conversation she had with Carolyn.

"How am I going to find someone to play Sabella's assistant?" Malcolm asked knowing that Carolyn would be showing up on his doorstep at any moment.

"I can pretend to be my own assistant," Sabella said joining them in the kitchen.

"What!?" Malcolm and Mabel said in unison.

"I can pretend to be my own assistant," Sabella said repeating herself. "Malcolm can still pretend to have a guest, I'll just be helping out until Mabel's hand heals."

"What if they insist on meeting Sabella?" Mabel asked.

"Sabella is still being antisocial," Sabella said, "she still has no interest in meeting the townspeople."

"What're we going to call you?" Malcolm asked beginning to like the idea.

"You can call me by my middle name," Sabella said

"And what is your middle name?" Malcolm asked.

"This name is to only be used when I'm pretending to be the assistant," Sabella said her tone threatening. "Neither of you are allowed to call me by this name, unless there are other people in the room, and you have to remember that my parents are from the south."

"What is it?" Mabel asked wondering why Sabella was behaving the way she was.

"You have to promise not to use this name when I'm not pretending to be the assistant," Sabella demanded.

"We promise," Malcolm said. "Tell us what it is."

"RaeLynn," Sabella said.

Mabel put her hand over her mouth pretending to cough. Malcolm began to snicker put placed his hand over his mouth to try to stifle it and prevent it from coming out.

"Your mother gave you an exotic name like Sabella and turns around and gives you, RaeLynn as a middle name?" Mabel asked.

"No, my father did," Sabella explained. "My father insisted that he and mother name, me together since they named my brother together. My mother picked my first name, my father picked my middle name and he like the name RaeLynn."

"It's not a bad name," Malcolm said.

"I think it's a lovely name," Mabel said pushing down a giggle.

"Yeah, right," Sabella said breaking out and laughing at herself.

"Alright, RaeLynn," Malcolm said cringing as Sabella cut him a look with her eyes. "You're going to get use to hearing the name. I wouldn't want anyone to call you RaeLynn, and you not answer. How would that look?"

They were all still laughing when someone knocked on Malcolm's front door.

"I wonder who that is?" Malcolm asked his voice filled with sarcasm as he made his way to the door.

"Wait," Sabella said stopping him. "Let me get it."

"Are you sure?" Malcolm asked.

"Yeah, I'm sure," Sabella said walking over to the door. "Might as well get it out of the way. Are you sure you want to do this? You know it's going to be all over town once Carolyn meets me and people are going to talk."

"I'm sure," Malcolm said. "This won't be the first time I've been the subject of gossip in this town."

The knocking became more urgent. Sabella went over answered the door.

Carolyn expecting Malcolm to answer the door had a look of shock and surprise on her face when a colored woman stood before her instead.

"May I help you?" Sabella said.

"Yes, I would like to speak to Mr. Matheson please," Carolyn said after regaining the ability to speak once again.

"Whom may I say is calling?" Sabella asked pretending she didn't know who Carolyn was."

"Miss. Winters," Carolyn said.

"Just a moment," Sabella said as she was about to close the door.

"Just a minute," Carolyn said stopping Sabella before she could close the door. "Who are you?" Sabella stamped down the urge to say what she really wanted to say and told Carolyn, who she was.

"My name is RaeLynn," she said.

"And you're staying in Mr. Matheson's house?" Carolyn asked.

"I don't think that's any of your business," Sabella said politely.

"I think you had better watch your tone girl," Carolyn said. "Speaking that way to your betters could get a colored girl in some serious trouble."

Sabella was about to drop some serious curse words on Carolyn when Malcolm joined the conversation.

"I'll handle it from here, RaeLynn," he said. "You can go into the kitchen and start dinner."

Sabella turned and gave Carolyn a look that said next time bitch, then she left Malcolm to deal with Carolyn.

"Did you hear how she spoke to me?" Carolyn asked Malcolm her voice showing her anger and disgust.

"I think she answered you correctly," Malcolm said. "Considering the way you were speaking to her and the questions you were asking."

"I asked her who she was," Carolyn said.

"Which was none of your business," Malcolm said. "You also asked her if she was staying here, which is also none of your business. Then you turned around and threatened her because she didn't like you questioning her."

"I was only wondering what was going on," Carolyn said.

"Why are you here, Carolyn?" Malcolm asked.

"I bumped into Mabel at the grocery store, and I saw that she had hurt herself and I came by to see if you needed my help," Carolyn said her voice beginning to tremble as she began to cry. "I just wanted to see if you were okay."

"I'm fine," Malcolm said as he turned around when Mabel patted him on the shoulder and placed a box of tissues in his hand. "Everything is under control and I don't need any extra help."

As he spoke Malcolm pulled out a couple of tissues and passed them to Carolyn.

"Are you sure you can trust that girl?" Carolyn asked. "She's mighty uppity. Maybe it would be better if you got one of the girls from around her to help you. Since they know how things are done."

"She doesn't like to be called a girl," Malcolm said remembering how Sabella turned on him when he called her "girl."

"What does she expect to be called?" Carolyn asked. "Miss."

"What do you expect to be called Carolyn?" Malcolm asked. "You're a grown woman. How would you feel if someone called you a girl?"

"No one would call me, girl," Carolyn said her tears drying, her voice and look turning hard.

"Why wouldn't they call you girl?" Malcolm asked. "is it because you're old enough to be considered a woman, is it because people respect you, or is it because your father has money and people don't want to insult him?"

"What is wrong with you, Malcolm?" Carolyn asked not liking the fact that he was angry with her about calling RaeLynn(Sabella) a girl. "Are you angry at me for calling RaeLynn(Sabella) a girl? We call all the colored women around here girls. Why would you be upset about it?"

"Because it's wrong," Malcolm said. "The only reason you're calling her a girl is because she's colored. How would like if you never grew up in people's eyes just because of the color of your skin, no matter how old you are, you would always be looked upon as a child? Would you like that Carolyn?"

By the time Malcolm finished what he had to say he was in Carolyn's face and his voice had a hard edge about it and stressed his displeasure at Carolyn and the way she treated Sabella(RaeLynn).

"I'm not responsible for the way people are treated," Carolyn said. "It's not my fault that things are the way they are."

"It is when you're the one doing the wrong," Malcolm said.

"When did you become so concerned about the people are treated?" Carolyn asked.

"You've known me all my life Carolyn," Malcolm said. "When have you ever known me to overlook the way people are treated white or colored?"

Carolyn knew the question was stupid when she asked it. Malcolm had always been known to go to the aid of anyone, he saw being mistreated. It didn't matter to him whether the person was white or colored, He would step in and help.

She remembered his father beating him severely one day when she and her father were visiting Malcolm and his parents because he addressed his best friend's mother as Miss instead of calling her by her name because she was colored.

Malcolm asked his father why he was allowed to call his best friend's mother by her name and had to address his white friends' mothers by Miss?

His father told him it was because white people were better than coloreds and deserved to be treated with respect and colored people weren't worthy of being given such respect.

Carolyn remembered how she flinched when Malcolm's father slapped him because he said what his father said didn't make sense and sounded wrong. His father hit him so hard he fell to the floor.

"Don't you ever badmouth anything I tell you," his father said as he stood over Malcolm ready to hit him again if he gave the wrong response. "Do you understand me boy?"

"Yes, sir," Malcolm replied as he wiped blood off his lip with the back of his hand.

"Now get up and give me a hug," his father said.

Malcolm stood and hugged his father then too embarrassed to face their guests he asked to be excused so that he could go to his room.

Yes, Malcolm has always cared about the treatment of others.

But, it wasn't something Carolyn worried about or felt she should be concerned with, because no one mistreated her or disrespected her, she felt it wasn't something she should worry about.

mspat
mspat
545 Followers
12