Saved

Story Info
She saved more than one life that day.
7.8k words
4.73
45.5k
62
Story does not have any tags
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
zouzouni
zouzouni
357 Followers

Hello all, thank you for the wonderful comments, as a novice I greatly appreciate the encouragement and support. Please continue to provide constructive criticism.

Taylor hated driving to work. Normally she would take the train but today she was running late and had she waited for the train she would have been so late. Her boss would have been furious. He was a cranky old man anyway. She stuck to the speed limit and watched and cursed the speeding drivers flying passed her. She was thinking about all the manuscripts she had to read and didn't notice the smoke coming off the truck ahead. When it blew in through her open window she looked around for the source. Just as she was looking for the source of the smoke there was a loud bang and something went flying passed her window. Taylor looked up to see the truck ahead, the one full of the highly explosive canisters, was on fire and jack-knifing across the highway.

Because she wasn't speeding, Taylor managed to slow down and pull over. Other cars weren't so lucky; they crashed straight into the burning truck. Taylor could see the explosive chemicals signs all around the truck and knew the people in the crashed cars didn't have a lot of time before the whole thing went up. She jumped out and ran towards the cars screaming to the others that had stopped to call for help.

Taylor reached the first car and thanked God that she wasn't squeamish. The guy had a head wound that was gushing blood. She managed to get him out and told him to get as far away as possible. The smoke was thick now and she could barely breathe. It was also very hot; the very air felt like it was on fire. She heard screaming coming from her left, she couldn't see very well and her eyes were streaming but she followed the sound. Her legs hit the bumper and she felt her way around.

Every few seconds there was another explosion and she knew time was running out. Yanking on the door handle she found two tiny faces wet with tears. 'Kids, damnit!' she thought. They looked young maybe three and about five, there was a woman in the front seat she couldn't see her very well but she wasn't moving. She had to get the kids out of there. Grabbing one under each arm she ran. She didn't know what direction, just prayed she could get the kids clear before going back for the woman.

Once clear from the smoke and flames she saw people running around and she could hear sirens in the distance. She shoved the kids at someone coming towards her and turned to go back for the woman when there was an all-mighty roar and everyone was knocked backwards and off their feet. Taylor looked up at the huge fireball above the truck unable to move or think. When bits of metal started falling left and right she realized that everyone was too close.

She got up, grabbed the kids that the other person had let go in the explosion and started yelling for everyone to get back. Most people took the hint and started running back. Almost dragging the kids she noticed several people with their mobiles out filming the whole thing. 'Creeps!' she thought, 'standing around getting their rocks off instead of helping'. A safe distance away she collapsed to the ground still holding onto the two kids.

The emergency services had started to arrive and were organizing people in terms of injuries. The police were also about taking down names and statements. The kids had gone into shock and refused to let go of Taylor when the ambulance officer came round to check them out. Taylor escorted them to the ambulance and held their hands while they were looked at. The paramedic also patched up some of her cuts and scrapes and told her to get to the hospital to have her lungs checked out.

The fire-fighters were out in force and Taylor was watching them unfurl hoses and start fighting the blaze. One guy in full breathing gear was standing near a truck trying to untangle a kink in the hose. By this stage Taylor was in full survival mode; in slow motion she saw something flying in the fire-fighter's direction. He had his back turned so he couldn't see it coming but she new it was going to hit him square on.

Without thinking she leaped from the truck and ran yelling. He couldn't hear her above all the noise. She didn't know what else to do so throwing her whole body weight forward she dove for his legs and knocked him to the ground. Seconds later a canister went flying over their prone forms and crashed into the truck. Luke was pissed when he got up and ready to lay into whoever knocked him over when he saw the canister imbedded in the fire truck's side.

Lifting the girl to her feet he dragged her away and radioed for everyone to clear the area around the truck just in case it exploded. The girl turned to face him "You ok?" she said and them promptly fainted. Luke picked her up and carried her to the nearest ambulance.

Taylor felt like she was swimming in a deep sea and couldn't quite get to the surface. Every time she tried it was like she was dragged back under so she stopped trying. Much later she realized that she was in a bed but she couldn't remember how she got there. She remembered the explosion and everything, she even had a memory of a pair of green eyes but she must be confused. She didn't know what was going on.

She could hear murmured voices and there was some pain when she breathed but she didn't want to open her eyes just in case she was dead. She realized it was an irrational thought but there it was. She knew her curiosity would win out in the end so she whispered "Please don't let me be dead." And she finally opened her eyes.

"Definitely not." Said a voice next to her. She looked around to see a kind faced middle aged man in a while lab coat smiling at her. 'Hospital, I'm in a hospital.' She thought and relaxed. "You are going to be fine dear. Just some smoke inhalation, cuts and bruises and a couple of broken ribs. We do want to keep you in for a couple of days just to make sure your lung function recovers though." The doctor said and Taylor nodded.

"Of course she's going to be ok, she's a hero!" Came another voice from the corner of the room. She new that voice, she tried to sit up but the doctor pushed her back down and instead he raised the bed so that she was in a sitting position. When she could see she realized it was her younger brother Sam.

"What's this hero business?" She said and her voice was little more than a croak.

"Don't try and talk for a while." The doctor said.

"Cool, I can say whatever I like and you can't yell at me." Sam teased. "Anyway you are a bonafide hero. Someone filmed the whole thing and it's been on every news station in town. There's this awesome shot of you walking out, fire blazing all around with a kid under each arm. Totally cool. Anyway you are going to make a mint selling your story to every channel." He prattled.

"The kids, are the kids ok?" Taylor ignored the doctor's advice about talking.

He gave her a stern look and said "Quiet now, yes the children are just fine they keep asking for the 'angel' though and their parents asked if they could come around and see you. I'll tell them they can, tomorrow, now that you're awake. Now no talking I'll get a nurse to bring you in a pen and paper." The doctor admonished and left.

"What happened?" Taylor mouthed to Sam. He filled her in about the truck. Apparently a few canisters weren't secured properly and metal banging against metal caused a spark and the rest well, she lived it. Almost everyone was ok, thanks to her, only one lady died. Everyone was talking about how she just went in there to help. The cops were also annoyed at all the bystanders filming instead of helping. Taylor felt a little vindicated at her earlier anger.

Sam stood beside her bed and said "I know you're a cool super hero and everything but don't do that again you scared the crap out of me. I don't know what I would have done if I'd lost you." As he kissed her on the forehead. For all his bluster Sam was a great guy and he adored her as she did him. They were all they had since their parents died a few years ago. "Oh I almost forgot, there's this guy outside he's been waiting for you to come round, waiting for ages. He said he'd like to talk to you, is it ok if I let him in?" Sam asked.

Taylor nodded figuring it might be the cops or arson investigators. A tall, handsome man with green eyes walked in. 'I know those eyes from somewhere' she thought but couldn't place it. "Um the nurse gave me this." He said and handed her a pen and paper. "These I bought." He continued and held up a huge bunch of flowers.

Sam took the flowers off him while Taylor was writing. Her note read 'Not allowed to talk yet. Thanks for the flowers but who are you?'

"Oh you probably don't recognize me without the gear, but I'm just another in the long line of people you saved yesterday." He smiled.

"She saved your life too? Way to go sis!" Sam exclaimed. Taylor realized that he was the fire-fighter that she tackled to the ground right before passing out.

"I just wanted to come in and personally thank you. Not many people would have done what you did." He said.

"What happened? This wasn't on the news." Sam said. Luke explained all the while casting glances over at her. He couldn't believe that such a tiny little thing could do so much and knock him on his ass to boot. Sam was shocked and then he started laughing. "I taught you that tackle." He said.

Taylor smiled at him and wrote back "Yeah but I perfected it!' Which had them all laughing before she started having a coughing fit. Both men went to her side to see if she was ok. She motioned them away blushing at them fussing over her, particularly the fire-fighter. 'Name?' she wrote.

"Damn, sorry I didn't introduce myself. I'm Luke Sullivan, and you?" he asked.

"Taylor Richards and I am her brother Sam." Sam answered for her and the two men shook hands. Sam looked at his watch and almost panicked, he was late getting back to work. Kissing his sister he left quickly.

"I need to get back too." Luke said. "Is it ok if I come and visit you again?" He asked quietly.

'Sure but you don't have to.' she wrote. Luke smiled and walked out. 'My God he's gorgeous' she thought 'and I'm stuck in a bed looking like death and can't talk.'

That first day was quiet. The doctor kept everyone away and since she wasn't allowed to talk it made for a lot of sleep and staring at the ceiling. That evening Luke walked in and sat in the chair next to the bed. Taylor was a little surprized, she didn't expect him to turn up. 'Hi.' she wrote and smiled.

"This is going to be interesting considering you can't talk." Luke said chuckling. Taylor shrugged. He started making small talk, awkward at first and then easier as he relaxed. Taylor responded with short notes and some generally accepted sign language. He told about his job and work mates. There were some very funny anecdotes that had her laughing herself into another coughing fit. Luke was concerned about this so he stopped the funny stories, didn't want to cause her pain.

He asked her things she could answer simply and they had been talking for a long time before the nurse came and kicked him out. Luke promised to come passed tomorrow. Again Taylor wrote that he didn't have to, he just gave her a strange look.

The following day Taylor was told that she could start talking but to keep it to a whisper. This was a good thing since the police came by for a statement. She told them all she remembered and was grateful that they kept the interview short. Sam also came passed on his lunch break and was very disappointed that she was allowed to talk.

In the afternoon her door opened and two little faces poked their heads through. Initially Taylor thought that some kids had just gotten lost but then she heard. "Mum, Dad, the angel's in here, come on!" and they came in and climbed right up onto her bed. The younger one couldn't quite make it so she helped him up wincing from the pain in her side. Their parents then walked in and introduced themselves as John and Sue Black. Their children were Jake and Billy, older and younger respectively.

Jake and Billy smothered her in hugs and kisses and peppered her with questions like "How come you don't have any wings?" from Jake.

Taylor laughed and said "When on earth angels don't show their wings." much to the kids' delight. John and Sue thanked her profusely for saving their life and explained that they were the one's that told the kids that she was an angel.

"But there were two angels Mummy." Jake piped up from the corner. The kids had left the bed to explore the hospital room. "One angel that got us out of the fire and one angel that took Nanny Margaret to heaven." He explained. Taylor looked from face to face confused. John explained that Nanny Margaret was his aunt and she often looked after the kids when they worked. She was driving Jake to school when the accident happened.

All the tension of the last couple of days finally hit Taylor and she burst into tears. "I'm so sorry I couldn't get her out, I tried to go back, I ..." Taylor said between sobs.

Sue came and held her hand and comforted her "Please, please don't. You did so much. You saved our babies; you made sure people were safe. We saw the news footage, we saw you going back. You could have been killed. Yes we are sad about Margaret but we thank God every day for you." Sue said with tears running down her face.

All three adults were crying by this stage until little Billy said "I didn't know angels could cry. Did you Jake?" Jake just shrugged, scratching that one up to the many mysteries of the universe. They chatted for a little longer and Taylor found that she got along very well with them. It was almost like they'd known each other for years. Sue promised to bring the kids around when Taylor went home before they left her to rest.

It wasn't long after they left that Luke turned up. "Hi." she said shyly.

"Oh she talks." He said in pretend shock. "Thank God. I didn't think I could talk so much two days in a row." He said chuckling. They chatted for a while, Taylor filling him in on all the things she couldn't yesterday. He was telling her another story from the station when he noticed that she was fast asleep. He tucked her in and went to leave but he sat down again.

He really didn't want to go yet, what if she woke up and needed something he rationalized to himself. 'That's what nurses are for, idiot.' said a voice in his head. He promptly told the voice to shut up as he watched her sleep. Not even an hour later she started thrashing about and moaning in her sleep. She woke up gasping for breath, sweat beading on her brow. "The kids, I couldn't reach the kids, the fire, it ..." Taylor rasped in tears.

Luke sprung up squished into the bed and held her to him. He was careful of her injured ribs as he stroked her side and said "Shh, it's ok, just a dream, the kids are fine, you got them out. I'm here, its ok. Shhh". He held her until her breathing returned to normal. When Taylor calmed down enough to realize that it was just a nightmare she knew that she should stop holding onto him, but she couldn't bring her self to do it. She felt so safe in his arms, so comfortable that she slipped off to sleep. Luke stayed there holding her until the nurse came in and sent him away.

The next morning Taylor woke up looking for Luke. 'I'm going mad' she thought completely embarrassed with her behaviour the night before. The doctor came in and checked her out pronouncing her fit and well and able to leave at lunch time. He also suggested some time with a psychologist to deal with any possible reactions to the accident. Taylor said she would consider it.

She was getting dressed in clothes that Sam had brought her wondering how she was going to get home when Luke walked in. "Anyone need a taxi service?" he quipped. Taylor looked at him puzzled. "Sam called me and asked if I could drop you off home. He said he would be there later with dinner so you didn't starve to death. His words not mine." Luke explained with a smile.

"Ok." Taylor said as she tried to get her jacket on and winced in pain.

"Let me help." Luke said as he stood closer and held the jacket up for her to get her arm through. She couldn't help but think of the previous night in his arms and she blushed furiously.

"Thanks." She said avoiding his eyes. Luke drove her home. She noticed that her car was in the driveway and her bag was on the counter inside. She asked Luke how her things got there.

"Oh Sam made sure everything got back here. Except the clothes you were wearing, they were kind of destroyed by the smoke and football tackles so they had to toss them." He explained laughing. "Are you going to be ok?" he asked.

"I'm fine." she said shyly.

"Ok I need to get back to work. I'll check in on you in a couple of days. Yeah, yeah I know, I don't have to." He waved her off before she could protest. She found her self smiling as he left.

Sam had been incredible. He made sure that the media stayed away. Or the very least couldn't find her. He also set up with her boss that she could work from home for a couple of weeks. He had to threaten him with going to the media and telling them that he was being inconsiderate to a local hero and allowed him to imagine the negative publicity. Her boss then consented to courier the manuscripts back and forward and she could video conference with authors and the rest of the staff.

She was immensely grateful, she liked her editing job and didn't want to loose it, but she didn't think she was ready for the general public yet. The nightmares continued and she was having trouble sleeping over the next few days. True to his word Luke turned up a couple of days after she'd dropped her home. She looked pale and tired he noticed. "Not sleeping huh?" he asked concerned.

"I'm fine." She said stoically.

"Don't." He said "How come you haven't been to see the pysch? Sam said the doctor recommended it." He continued.

"So you and my brother have been talking about me behind my back." Her eyes narrowed at him.

"Hey, he's just worried about you. We both are. There's nothing wrong with getting help. I do, after particularly bad fires. You know just to get it all out." He admitted. Taylor was shocked. She didn't expect that this big, strong fire-fighter would go for all that head meddling stuff, maybe there was something to it.

"I'll go." She said quietly.

"Good." He stated firmly. They chatted for a while but Taylor was struggling to keep her eyes open. Unbelievably she fell asleep again. Luke chuckled as he gently picked her up and took her to her bed. He lay her down and covered her.

"Don't go." She murmured softly. Luke shrugged and lay down next her putting his arm around her pulling her closer. Luke nodded off himself but woke early and left before she got up. It was the best night's sleep she'd had in a while. 'Great, can't sleep? No pills required – just sleep with a hot fire-fighter.' She berated herself.

The days passed quickly, Sam was a constant presence until she told him to stop smothering her. She did end up going to the psychologist and admittedly she did feel a little better getting things off her chest. Her ribs were also feeling better, allowing her more movement. Luke would come by every couple of days and she wondered when he would get over being nice for saving his life.

Sue called often and she also spoke to the boys. That day Sue called and asked if she was up to having them around after school. Taylor was delighted. They arrived in a whirlwind of energy. All kisses and hugs and chatting. Taylor laughed at their antics and stories from school and pre-school. Kids being kids they eventually sprawled in front of the TV and watched cartoons.

zouzouni
zouzouni
357 Followers