Saving the Company Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JoeDreamer
JoeDreamer
6,293 Followers

"Nice spider," she said almost grudgingly as she glanced at the little girl's arm once I was done.

"I just hope no one else wants something like it," I replied as the girl walked away and another sat in the chair. This one already had a smiley face on one cheek. "I have mostly pastels. The black was supposed to be used for an occasional outline."

"I want a unicorn!" the little girl interjected excitedly. I looked at Bethany with a raised eyebrow. She laughed.

"I only do unicorn heads," I replied. The little girl nodded in acceptance so I rinsed my brushes and reached for the pastel colors. I started on the horn first. It came out pretty good. The head wasn't bad either.

"Thank you!" the little girl cried as she looked in the mirror.

"You're welcome," I smiled.

"That's very nice." I turned toward the voice and saw Bethany's daughter standing there. I also noticed that Bethany's was just finishing up Molly's hair. "You both do a good job."

"Thanks," I said. Bethany's just nodded at her daughter the same way she nodded to me when I said hello. I found myself hoping I didn't cause any real damage to the mother-daughter relationship. My concern must have been plain on my face.

"Don't worry," Jennie said with a grin. "She can only stay mad at me for so long."

"We'll see," Bethany snapped.

"Oh come on mother!" Jennie grinned. "I've done much worse then this and you've forgiven me." I could see Bethany fighting off a smile.

"I could leave if you like?" I offered to Bethany.

"And disappoint all of the little girls who want their faces painted?" Jennie quickly put in, frowning at me. She obviously wasn't happy I offered to leave. I ignored her and looked at Bethany.

"It wouldn't be fair to the girls," Bethany finally said. I smiled, and surprisingly she met my gaze and smiled back. The connection between us sparked. Her daughter saw it.

"I knew you liked him!" Jennie crowed quietly. The look Bethany shot her daughter was frightening, but Jennie just laughed.

"I'm thinking that I may be too busy at work to visit for a while," Bethany said pointedly.

"You'll never last that long," Jennie grinned. "Maybe if it was just me, but are you really willing to pass up seeing Molly?"

"Maybe," Bethany insisted, but I could see her weakening.

"That's okay," Jennie said with a wink at me. "Bob's mother is due up from Florida in a couple of weeks anyway."

"Ouch!" I said in surprise. "You don't fight fair!"

"No I don't," Jennie agreed. "I'm a lot like my mother." The two women exchanged looks. It was a mother-daughter moment, although I not sure it was a particularly pleasant one.

"We have customers waiting," I prompted Bethany. She looked at the little girl in her chair and smiled. I did the same to the one in my chair.

"I actually came by to see if either one of you needed a drink," Jennie said as we both started working on the girl in front of us. "I have beer, wine and soda."

"Soda for now," I said. Bethany nodded in agreement.

"Something to eat?" Jennie added. Neither of us accepted. Jennie disappeared and returned moments later with our drinks.

I finished the girl in front of me a while later and was surprised to see that Bethany was almost done with the girl she was working on as well. It only took a moment to see that she only wrapped a couple of inches at the bottom of this girl's hair. It actually looked pretty good and the girl seemed happy enough with it.

"I was wondering how you were going to get through all of the girls today with the time you spent on Molly," I said with a smile.

"Well, since it's Molly's party I figured I'd give her the full treatment," Bethany smiled in return. "The rest of the girls will have to settle."

"It seems only fair," I said with a shrug. "I'm sure they'll be happy. You do a good job."

"You're pretty good at face painting as well," she said. "Where did you learn to do it?"

"I've been doing it for years," I smiled, remembering.

"What? Is it a side job?" she asked with a raised eyebrow.

"No," I laughed. "I only do it once a year."

"For what?"

"The Special Olympics," I replied, still smiling. "I started out as a clown."

"And they promoted you to face painter?" Bethany asked with a grin.

"Only after years of hard work," I explained. We exchanged looks and laughed again. "So, where did you learn to wrap hair?"

She told me and we started swapping stories of the trials and tribulations of raising a teenage daughter. It was particularly funny at times because we had to be careful how we said things. After all, we were still painting and wrapping the hair of impressionable little six-year-old girls. I lost track of the number of face paintings I did as we talked.

"So, your daughter Carla moved in with you when she was fourteen?" Bethany asked with a shake of her head. "That's a hard period in a girl's life."

"I know," I sighed. I was sharing far more then I expected to, but I realized that I didn't mind telling Bethany. "She was boy crazy at the time and was dating a real winner. I think it had to do with her mother's life style."

"What did you do?" Bethany asked.

"Well, first I spent two or three months fighting with her to clean up her act. It was pretty much a losing battle until I had some dumb luck. I walked in one day and found her watching a woman's soccer game. I suddenly remembered that she used to play when she was a kid."

"You convinced her to start playing again?" Bethany asked.

"Eventually," I smiled, and then explained, "I enlisted the help of a friend of mine. He came by with his daughter who played for the local high school. The three of us started kicking a ball around when I was expecting Carla home."

"Did she take the bait?" Bethany asked.

"Hook, line and sinker," I grinned. "It was a month before school started and Carla decided she wanted to try out for the girls soccer team. She had me out every day after work. I think I got in the best shape of my life!"

"What happened with the boy she was dating?" Bethany asked.

"He wasn't thrilled with Carla new focus on soccer," I replied, and then frowning added carefully, "I think it had more to do with her no longer partying the way she used to." Bethany met my gaze and thankfully nodded in understanding. I had no intention mentioning in front of little girls the fact that Carla came home drunk or worse often enough before joining the soccer team.

"How did you get rid of him?" Bethany prompted.

"I didn't," I replied innocently. She just looked at me until I laughed and added, "I did introduced her to Frank."

"Frank?" Bethany said in surprise. "Isn't her husband's name Frank?"

"Exactly!" I grinned. "He was a boy who went to her school. He was also a varsity lacrosse player and a heck of a kid. I met him when one of my neighbors recommended him to mow my lawn. He was a hard worker. I liked him. I still do."

"Wow, that's quite a story," Bethany said. "You did a amazing job."

"No," I sighed. "The only amazing things were the luck I had and Carla. It could have fallen apart at any time." I had friends who weren't as lucky as me. One particular came to mind and I sighed. I still remembered the funeral.

We fell silent for a time. I hadn't planned on opening up so much, but there was just something about Bethany that made me feel comfortable. It didn't stop me from also feeling a little embarrassed about how much I said. Bethany seemed to realize this and left me alone for a while. I finished painting another girl's face and saw that the one with the spider on her arm returned.

"You want the bat too?" I asked. The little girl nodded and I grinned. "Okay, give me your other arm."

Instead of doing a quick and simply bat, I decided to do a cave with two or three bats in it. It probably took longer than it should have, but there was something about the little girl that suddenly reminded me of my daughter Carla.

"Wow!" the little girl grinned once I was done. Bethany looked over and raised an eyebrow.

"Remind me to invite you over to paint Molly's face for Halloween," she said appreciatively.

"I'll come over any time you ask," I replied carefully. Bethany looked at me and shook her head slightly. She knew exactly what I meant. I almost sighed aloud in relief when she smiled as well.

"Time for cake and candy!" Bob called and the little girls went scurrying. Jennie came by as we started packing up.

"Don't worry about that now," she insisted. "Go wash up quickly. We're going to sing in a few minutes." Jennie was gone before either or us could say anything.

"Follow me," Bethany said, leading me to the house. We used the kitchen sink to wash up. I actually needed it more than her. She finished first and waited for me.

"Hurry!" she said. "We don't want to miss the cake."

"You go ahead," I grinned. "I'll be there in a few minutes."

"Worried about having to sing?" she teased. I nodded and grinned. She laughed and added, "I'll meet you outside." There was no way she was going to missing her granddaughter's cake.

I watched her go. I loved the way she moved. She did things to me.

"You'd better hurry," Bob said from beside me. I was staring at Bethany so intently that I didn't notice him entering the room.

"Almost done," I replied as I washed my forearms.

"Jennie's lighting the candles," he said as he went back toward the living room. He stopped just before entering and added, "They'll be plenty of time to look at Bethany later." I shook my head and he laughed as he reentered the living room. Busted!

I finished washing and dried my hands quickly. I just barely beat Jennie and Bob out of the house. It actually took both of them to carry the big cake. Everyone started singing.

"Get my camera!" Bob said to me and pointed with his chin. I looked where he pointed to and saw his camera. I quickly picked it up and started taking pictures. Thankfully, it wasn't one of those complex ones.

It was digital so I didn't worry about snapping too many pictures. I just kept taking another shot every time the flash recharged. Bob must have put new batteries in recently because I was able to take quite a few pictures. I was carefully to make sure I got one of Molly blowing out the candles.

"Thanks," Bob said taking the camera from me.

"How many pictures did you take?" Bethany teased. "I think it will be hours before my eyes adjust after all those flashes."

"Hey," I replied with a shrug. "They'll be lucky if even one of them turns out any good. I'm not much of a photographer."

"Actually," Bob said as he looked at the pictures on the screen in the back of the camera. "You got a couple of nice ones."

"Just lucky I guess," I shrugged.

"You seem to be lucky in many things," Bethany said, remembering our earlier conversation about my daughter Carla.

"All but one," I replied pointedly. Bob laughed.

"He means all but love," Bob explained needlessly.

"I know," Bethany said with a roll of her eyes. "I'd better go help Jennie dole out the cake."

"It's hopeless," Bob said to me with a sigh as she left.

"Not really," I replied. "It's just going to take a little time."

"Haven't you already known her for almost half a year?" he asked. I laughed.

"Bob, you're still a young man," I replied. "As you get older you'll find that some things take time."

"Does age also make it easier to wait?" he asked.

"Harder," I sighed. "Much harder." Bob burst out in laughter.

"I hope it works out," he finally said once he regained control of himself.

"Thanks."

The party ended not long after that. I stayed and helped clean up. It took some time. We sat outside at a table once we were done. Jennie opened a bottle of wine. She poured four glasses. Molly was inside playing with her new presents and her best friend who was sleeping over.

"Good party," I said to Bob and Jennie.

"Every year you go a little crazier," Bethany sighed. "What on Earth are you going to do next year to top this?"

"You'll just have to wait and see," Jennie replied. Bob groaned.

"I shudder to think what Molly's sweat sixteen part will be," I teased.

"Thank God we only have one child!" Bob cried. "We'd be broke otherwise!"

"Um, Bob," Jennie began tentatively. My eyebrows rose considerable. I could tell where she was going by her tone. Well, that and the fact that I noticed she hadn't touched her wine.

"What?" he asked nervously. He hadn't figured it out yet, but he could tell something was up. I looked over at Bethany. She wasn't really paying attention. I smiled. This was going to be fun.

"Remember how you were disappointed when we found out Molly was girl?" Jennie asked.

"I wasn't really disappointed," Bob insisted, but he was a terrible liar. My smile turned into a grin.

"Well, you've got another chance at having that son you've always wanted."

"What!" he nearly shouted, but then he laughed and pulled Jennie to him. This brought Bethany focus back to the conversation.

"What did I just miss?" she asked in annoyance.

"Nothing much," I teased. "Just that you're going to be a grandmother again."

"What!" she cried.

"That's what Bob said," I laughed. Jennie joined me.

"I was going to wait another couple of weeks before telling you both," Jennie said. "But Bob left such a perfect opening I couldn't resist it."

"Congratulations," I smiled. Jennie nodded, but Bob still looked stunned. I refilled his glass of wine.

"Thanks," he said, snapping himself out of it. "But I think I need something stronger. Would you care to join me?"

"No thanks," I smiled. "I have to drive."

"I'll take something," Bethany put in and then turned to her daughter and added, "I thought you were only planning on having one child?"

"I was," Jennie said. "Bob and I agreed."

"And?" Bethany asked.

"And, I changed my mind," Jennie shrugged. Bob returned with two shot glasses and a couple of different bottles.

"What will you have?" he asked Bethany.

"Whatever you're having," she replied. He poured two drinks. Father and mother-in-law then toasted Jennie's pregnancy. We chatted for another five minutes before they made another toast. On the third one Jennie stood.

"You two are not going to do this to me again," she said, picking up the bottles. "I'm not going through what I went through the night I told you I was pregnant with Molly again. I'm too tired."

"Sorry," Bob said sheepishly. Bethany frowned, but nodded.

"Speaking of being tired," she said. "I should probably be going."

"Me too," I added.

"Mother, you just had a glass of wine and three shots," Jennie said. "You're not going anywhere." Bethany opened her mouth to argue, but then thought better of it.

"You're probably right," she sighed.

"I can give you a ride home if you'd like?" I offered. Bethany looked at me and frowned.

"It's either that or sleep over. I'm sure Molly and her friend will fall asleep eventually," Jennie said pointedly. I looked at her and nodded thankfully. She winked.

"Maybe I should stay to help with the girls," Bethany surprised us both by offering. "You really need your sleep."

"So do you mother," Jennie insisted. "Bob will stay up until the girls fall asleep." Bethany looked at Bob.

"It's not like I'm going to be able to sleep tonight anyway," he said with a half smile.

"Okay," Bethany finally agreed. I smiled and refused to let out the whoop of triumph that threatened.

We said our goodbyes and congratulated them one more time. I was driving for five minutes before she finally spoke. I don't think it was my presence that was keeping her silent.

"I feel old," she said.

"I'm not surprised," I shrugged. "Between being tired from wrapping hair all day and the news that you're going to be a grandmother again, it would be a surprise if you weren't feeling that way." We fell silent again until my stomach growled. Bethany turned toward me and grinned.

"Hungry?" she asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Yes," I acknowledged.

"I'm a little hungry myself," Bethany admitted.

"We could get something to eat?" I offered. She looked at me and smiled lopsidedly.

"I'm not cooking for you again," she said.

"Not tonight," I said in agreement. "But there will be other nights."

"You hope," she teased. I could tell that the alcohol was affecting her. She wasn't drunk, but she also wasn't acting so tense around me either.

We were stopped at a red light so I took a moment to look at her. I don't remember moving, but suddenly we were kissing once again. It was just as amazing as I remembered.

Someone beeped from behind us and we reluctantly broke apart. At least I did it reluctantly. I think Bethany wanted to continue the kiss as well, but with her I never could tell for sure.

"Wow," I said as I focused on driving. I could feel Bethany's eyes on me.

"I don't feel so old anymore," she said, watching me carefully.

"Or tired," I said in agreement, and then added, "Where would you like to eat?"

"Your choice," she said in a way that made me look at her once again.

"How about my place?" I asked, surprising myself. Bethany smiled.

"Can you cook?" she asked.

"Do you like Chicken Marseille?" I asked in reply.

"You know how to make Chicken Marseille?"

"I already have the ingredients at home," I smiled. I usually made myself something special on the weekend.

"I don't think a man has ever cooked for me," she said, almost to herself.

"There is a first time for everything," I said carefully.

"And a second," she said cryptically. She was brushing her fingertips across her lips. I found myself wondering what she was thinking, but I knew better than to ask. That didn't stop me from hoping.

We arrived at my house and I gave Bethany a brief tour that ended at the liquor cabinet.

"Do you mind if I take a quick shower? I smell of sweat and paint," I asked. She shrugged and I added, "Make yourself comfortable."

I jumped in the shower and washed quickly. I was out and dressed in less than fifteen minutes. I left my room and heard music. I smiled to myself as I realized that Bethany found my stereo and my collection of CDs. She chose one of the Sinatra disks. That was a good sign.

"Here," she said when she saw me. She was holding out one of the two glasses she held. I tasted it and smiled. It was vodka with just enough cranberry to add a little color.

"This new grandchild must be hitting you harder than I thought," I said. Bethany smiled and shrugged again. She also took a long pull on her drink. I frowned. I cared for Bethany. I didn't want to watch her get herself souses.

"Why don't you take a quick shower before we eat?" I offered. "It will make you feel better."

"I could certainly use one," she agreed, remembering her long day in the sun wrapping little girls' hair. "But what will I use for clothes?"

I smiled as I thought of one possibility. She looked at me and knew exactly what I was thinking. Bethany didn't look really annoyed, but she did shake her head.

"You can borrow some of Carla old stuff," I said quickly. "She won't mind."

"Are you sure?" Bethany asked.

"Of course," I replied, showing her Carla's room. I gave her a towel and pointed toward the bathroom just before making my way back to the kitchen. I heard the shower go on a few minutes later and smiled.

I started dinner. Bethany took her time in the shower. I was just finishing the chicken when she came out. She was wearing one of Carla's old white tee shirts and a pair of blue sweats. She wasn't wearing any makeup and her damp hair was up in a tight ponytail. She looked amazing and I couldn't help tell her so.

"Thanks," she smiled. "I could do with some makeup."

JoeDreamer
JoeDreamer
6,293 Followers