Scars Ch. 09-13

Story Info
Dylan finds peace and thoughts and Colin is in a wreck.
9.6k words
4.44
8.5k
3

Part 5 of the 5 part series

Updated 10/11/2022
Created 07/19/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
cross13
cross13
22 Followers

This is a continuation of my novel. I'm sorry it took so long to get it on here. It's going to take even longer to get the next piece on. I'm sorry in advance for any grammatical, spelling or punctuation issues as I still have yet to be able to get an editor to contact me. As with before, all sexual actions take place by eighteen year old adults. For those who have been looking for sex, it finally comes into play in this addition. There are some problems with time in this one, so I know there will be complaints on that. But, I still want to hear your thoughts, no matter how bad you think it is. Comments are a writer's best friend. Thanks in advance.

Chapter 9

My aunt and uncle were pretty cool people, and man could my aunt cook. I'm pretty sure I will never have a meal quite as good as the one she made us. We started talking, and she begged to know what happened, from my mouth and not the news.

So I told her what happened. I told her everything, emphasizing on my lack of ability to do anything to help my mother. They said it wasn't my fault, just as everyone before them had...maybe...maybe they were right, maybe I couldn't have done anything else to help my mother. I mean, I did ride my bike as fast as I could have. I didn't ever know I shouldn't have gone out that day, I mean, how could I?

Maybe having family to care about and care for me wouldn't be such a bad thing. I'd been avoiding anything that could hurt me for so long...maybe I should try opening up and letting people in. I looked up at my aunt and uncle...over to my cousins. "Umm...there's something I should tell you, if my mother had known, she would want me to tell you. I haven't told anyone...only my friend knows."

They look at me expectantly, as if I could say anything and they would accept it. So I pull up my sleeves and bare my arms to them. They were shocked, but they didn't run screaming. My aunt looked at me, "What happened?"

"Well, after my dad died...I found his knives. Everything started getting rough from there on out. I couldn't do anything right by my mother. She was always upset at me for getting into fights. I just wish I had told her why. I was always a good kid, but when they made fun of her...when they insulted her, I lost it.

"So, when I found the knives and one slipped and cut my arm...I had clarity through the pain. It eased the emotional strain of life...pushed it away. I regret it, every day I regret doing it, but at the time I thought it helped. I let my mother down...if she knew what I had done...she...she would hate me," I say, steadily getting towards a whisper.

"She would never hate you. You are her son. She would always love you, no matter what. I should know...I'm a mother too. It's just something that comes with giving birth," she said to me.

I looked at her...fighting back tears threatening to spill over. "Thank you ma'am, that means a lot to me.

When I got home I was actually starting to feel better about myself. I may not have been totally self-depreciating since my mother died, but I had been self-destructive, hurting myself more and more, pushing people away. Maybe it was time for me to come out of my shell and see the world around me in a different light.

It was only nine o'clock when I got home, but I had school the next day and I felt emotionally drained. I decided I'd better go ahead and get some sleep. Brady and his dad were already home. "Where have you been?" Mr. Thompson asked, concerned.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you, but it was a last minute thing. Stephanie called, wanted me to go meet her parents. My aunt and uncle are pretty cool," I say.

"Your aunt and uncle?" he questions.

"Oh, yes sir. I forgot I didn't tell you. When Brady and I went out on that double date, I went to see Stephanie before hand. We started talking about ourselves and we figured out that her mom was my mother's half sister. We're related. So she called me today to go over and meet the family."

"So does that mean you will be leaving us," he asks a hint of sadness in his voice. "You'll probably want to live with your family, right?"

"If it's alright with you, I'd rather stay." I look around, not seeing Brady in the room, I continue, "Brady won't say it, but I can tell he's still upset about his brother. I've always wanted one so, it works out great, if that's ok?"

"Of course it is, son. You've really grown on me and I like having you around, and not just because you're a big help fixing all the appliances," he chuckles.

I look up at him. It hit me that every since my dad died, I'd been without a father figure, and I'd been trying to fill a void that was just not wanting to be filled. Now...now it was being filled and I actually liked it. This man, he was everything a kid could want in a father, without actually being a father. He'd stepped up and taken me in, even though he didn't have to. Something wet trickled down my cheek. I reached up, it was a tear...again.

"Thank you, sir. That means the world to me." I hug him, the first time I had done such a thing since my mother had died.

I slept peacefully that night, yet still didn't want to get up when my alarm chimed. Monday...a school day, I got up and got a shower. Brady was just getting up as I stepped out of the bathroom. He went in as I went to get something to eat. After we had both eaten and were ready, we drove to school to meet coach. Brady has been working out with me in the mornings since I had told him about what coach wanted me to do.

As we arrived, Coach opened the door and we walked in. We ran and did weight lifting today, then of course; I kept learning more of the plays. "Dylan, you're almost done learning the plays. After tomorrow, you can start getting here a half hour later, and just work out. We only have a couple of plays left."

"Okay Coach. Thanks, this has been a great help. I think I might actually be able to remember all the plays and what everyone does in them," I say.

The school day passes quickly, though with a lot of homework. School let out and I headed straight for my car, the books I'd need for homework already packed away in my bag. I was working on the other side of town, at a new house. When I got there, Mr. Collins immediately put me to work doing the usual digging of holes and hauling dirt. I still did not mind since it helped me stay in shape even while doing workouts in the morning. This was more like endurance conditioning I guess. It seems like the best way to describe it.

I loved working outside with plants. It was one of the only ways to keep in touch with my mother...or at least the memories of her. The weeks passed by in a blur of school, football, and work. I think all my friends were worried about me, since I wasn't dating or anything.

Thanksgiving passed and Mr. Thompson understood that I wanted to spend it with my aunt and uncle. Soon, Christmas was approaching. The snow had started late this year, almost not until Thanksgiving. Lately it was more sleet than snow, but a few days before Christmas it snowed nicely, a good four feet of fresh snow. Whenever it snowed, Brady and I would shovel out the driveway so we could get to school and so that Mr. Thompson could get to work.

Christmas Eve I decided to spend with Brady and his dad. We passed around gifts and ate a nice meal. I gave Mr. Thompson a new watch, a good one that was powered by kinetics. I knew that he had lost his old one and hadn't gotten around to getting a new one. I also got him a drill bit set...not that he used it all that much, but I thought he would like it. I got Brady a New England Patriots shirt as well as a Boston Red Sox shirt. For both of them, I had secured tickets to Spring Training for the Red Sox in Florida. I wasn't sure if it was something they would be able to make, but I knew they were fans.

Between Brady and his dad, I got a few shirts and pants, as well as a new phone. I had a cheap little Black Berry style phone. The new phone was an iPhone which I really appreciated. Afterwards, Mr. Thopmosn got the eggnog and when I took the first sip, I knew it was spiked. I coughed a little, surprised that he was letting us drink an alcohol beverage. His eyes twinkled knowingly. "What is it Dylan?" he asked mischievously.

"I don't know sir, you tell me," I fire back.

"Well, I don't normally advocate underage drinking, but I'm not against it. As long as you're safe and under my roof it's okay. I just don't want to see you touching your keys until the next morning."

"Yes sir."

We didn't get to bed until at least thirty minutes after midnight. The next day I had a bit of a hangover, the twinge of headache. I cured it with multiple glasses of water and a nice hot shower.

I went over to my aunt and uncle's house around noon and spent the rest of the day there. We had a great time, laughing and telling stories. It felt...right. Then Stephanie asks, "Dylan, you haven't been out on a date, well except that one with us and Brady. What gives? You have girls fawning over you, trying to get your attention."

"What? They don't do that...do they?" I ask.

She looks at me with that look, the look that says either you are crazy or you don't pay enough attention. "Yeah, they do. I guarantee you are more sought after than Colin would be if he was single. The whole cheerleading squad has a bet going to see who can get you first. I didn't tell them that technically I would have won that," she says offhandedly.

"Well, I don't know. I'm not all that interested in getting into a relationship right now. I mean, I've got work, school, and football all going on right now."

"So does Brady and Colin, yet they both have girlfriends," Daphne retorted.

"Yes, I know that. I'm just not interested," I say, trying to steer clear of the real reason.

"No, you are, you just aren't interested in any of the single girls. I see it in your face everyday at school, and I see it now. It's Emily, isn't it?" Steph cooed.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"It is, it is, it is!" she shouts.

I groan inwardly. They were going to tease me mercilessly.I got home that night with a few gifts, a smile on my face, and fear in my heart.

Brady looks up at me as I walk in the door, eyebrows raised. "Your girlfriend and her sister...they are going to tease me for sometime to come."

"What about?" he asks.

"The fact that I don't have a girlfriend of my own and they know why now, or think they do."

As the months went past I began to really fit in at school. I mean, I already fit in more, since I was in football and friends with the popular crowd, but I fit in even more because I was nice to everyone, well...almost everyone. There were those kids that went out of their way to piss me off, but that's normal. School ended and while I still worked for Emily's dad, I hardly ever saw her. She was either at her own job, out with Colin, or presumably with her friends. Summer was fast, filled with work and the few friends that I staid in touch with. The sad thing is, I wasn't even paying any attention anymore. Just before school let out, I was approached by a recruiter. He wanted me to join the Navy. I agreed and said I would sign up as soon as I turned eighteen, provided he work with me to get me in the SEALS.

Soon, school started again, and I fell back into the routine, but I still wasn't all "there" as people would say. I was just going through the motions. I'm not sure where my brain was, but Coach was only happy with me during game days. I came back during that time. Each football game seemed to ground me in the present. I always played my best, and we always won. Christmas approached again and it was announced that we would be going to the regional play offs next after the holiday.

I still blurred out through the holidays and then school started. I always passed. I think it surprised me enough that I paid attention to certain lectures. I took notes, but I was thinking, always thinking, but I could never tell you what I was thinking about.

Finally...Game day approached, the regional finals.

Chapter 10

The night came that we were to play and we ended up playing at a University. The pep talk was the normal one about how it doesn't matter if we win or lose. Since it was a post season game, the announcer's called out the names of everyone on the teams that was actually playing. When my name and number were called, I saw the kids on the other team look over at me. I could tell they were whispering among themselves.

Coach pulled me aside, "Dylan, don't let it get to you. We need you at your best, and if you let them get under your skin, then they win, whether or not they win the game or not."

"Thanks Coach," I say.

We won the coin toss and obviously chose to receive. I was to receive the ball. The whistle sounded and Calenburne kicked off. I got under the ball and caught it at the ten yard line. As soon as it was in my hands I took off. My teammates were beside me blocking the rushing defenders. I made it to the thirty-five yard line before Calenburne's number forty brought me down.

Our starting offensive linemen jog onto the field, ready to take on Calenburne's defense. I line up off to the right of Colin, in my normal full back position. Our first play of the game is a fake pass to a receiver and the ball is actually tossed to me as I run to the right. As the ball hits my hand, I see a linebacker headed right for me. I knew him. He was one of the kids who picked on me when I was at Calenburne.

He was about to tackle me when I did a matador move and let him fly past. He ended up eating dirt as I kept running forward. I picked up eight yards before two linebackers finally pulled me down, just short of the first down. I wasn't disappointed though, I mean I picked up eight yards on the first play of the game and we were at our own forty-three yard line, which was pretty good.

Throughout the game it was a pretty much back and forth battle. The game was really close, with three touchdowns each. When it came down to it, there were only twenty-five seconds on the clock in the fourth quarter; we were on our own twenty-three yard line and we need to at least get to Calenburne's thirty yard line to even attempt a field goal. We decided on a long shot. We set out four receivers and me. We were to run as far as we could and try to stay open.

Colin hiked the ball...twenty-two seconds...the offensive line held back the defense...twenty-one, twenty, nineteen...the receivers were at the fifty yard line...eighteen, seventeen...Colin launches the ball...but the defense wasn't expecting it...all the receivers are way down field but I'm right in the middle, just behind the defensive line but in front of the safeties. The ball is rocketed right to me and I take off down field, the forty, the fifty, Calenburne's forty, and the safeties are there to stop me but the receivers, weren't meant to receive, they were there to block for me and they open a gap and I punch right through it. The thirty, the twenty, the ten...five seconds, four...touch down!

We did it. We kicked the customary field goal and the kickoff, but Calenburne didn't even try to get anywhere with it. Finally, after so long, Calenburne was defeated. We celebrated with pizza at a local pizza place. That night, the worst thing imaginable happened. I was driving home, maybe five miles from my house, when I get the call from Emily.

Colin had been hit by a drunk driver. He was in critical condition at the hospital. I took the next U-turn I could find I headed straight for the hospital. I pulled in and hopped right out running into the emergency entrance. There were already a couple people there, including Emily, Coach, Colin's parents, and a few of the other football team members.

I walk over to Emily and she immediately wraps her arms around me and starts to sob. "Dylan, do you think he will make it?" she asks.

"I don't know Em. He's a tough one but I just don't know," is all I could say.

I hold her and let her sob into my shoulder. Eventually I notice some of the team shooting looks at Emily and I. I could tell they were muttering among themselves. Probably something about how it wasn't right that Emily went straight to me. I didn't care though. We were good friends and if they wanted to make something of they could go ahead and try. It didn't even faze me that at the slightest thing some of them would turn on me. It's happened before so it doesn't surprise me.

We waited there all night. At about five the next morning, the doctor walked out and started talking to us, explaining what they did for Colin. I had a terrible sinking feeling. There should have been good news, not explanations of what they did. He was saying how they put him into the I.C.U. as soon as he got there. He went into surgery at midnight. At first he was doing well, responding positively to treatment. Then something went wrong. They did everything they could he said. At four fifty this morning he was pronounced dead.

Emily had been dosing on my shoulder while we sat on a small bench. When they doctor started speaking she must have woken up because she was quietly sobbing now. "Hey, Em, I'll be right back. I'm going to go talk to the Summers and then I'll come take you home. Your dad left at about two this morning to get some sleep. We have to work today," I tell her.

"Why didn't you get some sleep then? You won't be doing your best."

"I'll be fine. You needed me here tonight. That's what matters. I'll be able to get through work. I might be a little tired but I'm glad I was here for you."

I go over to Mr. and Mrs. Summers. "Hello. My name is Dylan. I was a friend of Colin's. I'm not going to tell you I'm sorry for your loss. That's not right and I know you don't want to hear it. I know what you're going through better than most. I lost my father when I was ten and my mother when I was sixteen. The worst part about it is I was on the phone with her just before that and she was so scared. I came home to find her dead and strung up like a doll. Cops never found who did it. I sincerely hope that they find whoever hit Colin. It will give you restitution, but not peace of mind," I say.

"You know kid, you aren't half bad. I've been here watching those other guys. They're talking about you behind your back since you got here. Saying how as soon as Colin is injured you move in to steal his girlfriend. I know Emily, she's been dating Colin for sometime and for quite sometime he wasn't the best person. I noticed though, after the first day he talked to us about you, he started changing. I think you did him some good and I really appreciate that," Mr. Summers says to me.

"Thank you, sir. I don't know what to say to the other guys," I glance around and then lower my voice. "I really do like Emily. I have since I first met her, and to be honest, I wasn't very nice when I first met her. I ignored her for quite a while. I just don't feel...it just doesn't feel right if I go after her right now. Colin was one of my friends and I don't think he would do that to me and I just couldn't do it to him."

"Well, I really don't know what to say, honey, but you seem to be a nice kid. If I were you, though, I'd wait a while...like quite a while, because it will conflict with her emotions if you do something right now. It might do more harm than good, so I say just be a good friend and see where it goes," Mrs. Summers explains.

"Thanks. I'm actually kind of surprised that ya'll are helping me with this considering it was your sons girlfriend."

"Well, we know he isn't coming back...and to be honest, he was thinking of breaking up with her anyway. He talked to us at quite a length and asked us for our help and opinions"

"Oh, okay. Wow, I didn't know. They seemed so happy together. Well, I have to go, I need to take Emily home because I don't trust her driving by herself right now and then I have to go to work."

cross13
cross13
22 Followers