Second Chance, Book 05

Story Info
A New Lady in his Life.
5.4k words
4.7
40k
7
Story does not have any tags

Part 5 of the 7 part series

Updated 10/24/2022
Created 07/09/2008
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
coaster2
coaster2
2,596 Followers

As always, my thanks to ErikThread for his editing skills and advice.

*

Chapter 22:

Bonnie Simpson was a thirty-seven-year-old single mother who had never married. She was a young receptionist at a major distillery in Calgary when she met Eddie Parker. He was a salesman for a national label company calling on the distillery's purchasing department, and by all accounts was doing very well.

After he had been in a few times, he asked Bonnie out on a date, and she agreed. It was the beginning of her first serious relationship since high school, and they had sex on their third date. Eddie had a very nice apartment in a downtown high-rise and dazzled Bonnie with his charm, good looks and apparent success. Bonnie thought she could get used to this very easily.

Four months later, Bonnie discovered she was pregnant and revealed her condition to Eddie. He wanted no part of fatherhood and immediately broke off the relationship. Bonnie was unhappy, but as she thought about it more, she knew she was not in love with Eddie, and would not have married him. She went home to her parents to confess her condition, and while they were not pleased, they took her in and gave her the emotional support she needed.

Bonnie's father was not about to let it end there. He contacted their family lawyer and sued Eddie Parker for child support, and were granted a court order describing just what Eddie's responsibilities were. Eddie was angry, but could not deny the child was his.

Bonnie went back to work when her son, Timothy, was almost two. She had some experience in public relations with the distillery and she enjoyed it. She put in her application at several local P.R. firms and was hired on a contract basis by one of the larger ones. Her work produced an erratic schedule, but along with Eddie's support payments, and some generous neighbors filling in as babysitters, it gave her enough to re-establish her independence.

As young Tim grew, Bonnie resigned herself to a single life. She hadn't dated very frequently, and the men she was seeing weren't future husband material in her opinion. She had sex with several, but it was recreational rather than emotional. All that changed this past Saturday night at the Palliser Hotel.

-0-

Brent arrived home in Castlegar mid-afternoon on Monday and immediately flopped on his bed and fell asleep. He was tired from the show, as he always was, but the tension and excitement of Bonnie and the long drive from Calgary to Lethbridge and then home had finished him off. He slept for two hours before waking and taking a shower to bring himself around. He was back on Pacific time, an hour behind Alberta. He looked at the clock as he threw his laundry into the washing machine and wondered if it was too early to call Bonnie. She wasn't working today, he remembered. He started the washing machine, walked into the kitchen, extracting a beer from the fridge, and picked up the phone.

"Hello?"

"Hi, Bonnie ... it's me, Brent."

"Oh, Hi Brent. You get home alright?" she asked in a bright voice.

"Yes, I'm fine. I had a short visit with Andy, and I got back here about three this afternoon. I took a nap and then decided I needed to call you."

"That's nice ... I'm glad you called. I've been thinking about you too," she admitted.

"Oh ... were they good thoughts?"

"Very good thoughts. Very satisfying thoughts."

"Me too. I don't quite know how to say this ... uhmmm ... These past few days ... they were very ... important to me. Something very nice happened. I'm not sure where it will go yet, but I want to find out. Are you OK with that?" he asked carefully.

"Brent, we had this discussion on Sunday morning. You know I do. Whatever happened, happened to both of us ... not just you. It was just as important to me ... believe me."

"Good ... I'm happy you still feel that way. I just wanted to make sure you didn't have second thoughts," he admitted.

"No ... no second thoughts. When will I see you again? You didn't tell me when you'd be back here."

"I'll be back the week after next. I'll let you know what my plans are. Do you have any conflicting assignments?"

"No, not yet. You never know, but don't worry about it. We'll find a way to be together," she said confidently.

"Good. I can't promise the Palliser again, but we'll find someplace nice."

"I don't care if it's a sleeping bag in a tent, as long we're together," she blurted.

"Oh ... well ... I think I can do a little better than that. Uh, unless, that's what you'd prefer."

"Now don't be a smart-ass, Mr. Gordon," she chided gently.

"OK, no smart-ass as long as you'll be a bare-ass," he laughed.

"Ha ha, very funny," she returned.

After Brent had hung up, he smiled to himself and took stock of his feelings. She had captivated him. She had grabbed him and held on and he was hers. He wondered if she realized that yet. His thoughts were interrupted by the bang of the screen door and Scott's arrival from school.

"Hi Dad. Did you have a good show?"

"Yes ... very good. I'll know exactly how much better than last year when the orders flow in, but it was worth the effort."

"Good. Are you home for a while?"

"No, down to Vancouver for Thursday ... back to Calgary the week after next."

"Calgary? How come so soon?" he asked, recognizing the change in pattern.

"Oh well ... I've got some things to do," he answered vaguely.

"Huh!"

"Everything OK with Mrs. Dubrinski?" he asked, changing the subject.

"Yah ... except she feeds me too much food. No wonder Mr. Dubrinski is as big as he is."

"Now that surprises me ... you complaining about too much food," his father laughed. "Oh well, it doesn't seem to affect Tanya," he said slyly.

"Huh? What do you mean?" he asked, surprised.

"Oh, come on, Scott. I know you've been seeing Tanya. This is a small town. You aren't invisible," he laughed.

"Oh ... is it ... I mean ... is it alright with you?" Scott asked carefully.

"Yah ... its fine," his father smiled. "Her mother knows and she approves. Just make sure you treat her properly and act responsibly. You catch my drift?"

"Uh huh," the young man smiled. He hadn't wanted to tell his dad about Tanya yet because he didn't know how he felt about her. She was very sexy, and a lot of the guys were envious, but he wasn't in the mood to get too involved just yet. He was only seventeen and heading for college next fall. A lot of the guys he went to school with were out looking for jobs, and some of them were even thinking about getting married. That seemed way too soon to Scott.

On the other hand, Tanya was a beauty and fun to be with. Her mom and dad were pretty strict, and worse than that, her mom was around Scott's house everyday. He wasn't going to be able to get away with anything, he thought. They had done some heavy petting in the truck a few times, but that was about it. She had let him feel her breasts under her bra. Tanya was already well developed there, and it was a very arousing experience for him to touch her there. Apparently, it was a very arousing experience for her too. Now his father had found out about her, so that was two sets of eyes watching. Just like parents to spoil all your fun, he thought.

Brent's trip to Vancouver had two objectives. He was unhappy with the performance of his Vancouver representative, Will Franzen. They hadn't been making the progress he wanted to see in comparison to their Alberta results. True, it was a different and very competitive market, but Will seemed more price conscious than Brent would have liked, and Will was quite upset early on when they disposed of the ClearSeal division. It represented the bulk of his sales.

Brent had thought that Will would adapt, but so far, the results weren't forthcoming. He needed to make a decision on this important territory. The Winter Olympics would spur the high end Whistler market for sure, and he had to make sure V.C.M. got its share. He also wanted a top builder in his stable, and that was also on his list. He had worked with Will several times and while he liked the man, it was clear that he was having difficulty selling value. Brent didn't want to change representation at this point, since he didn't have anyone ready to replace him. Inevitably, it would fall to him to give Will more support while he looked for alternatives.

It had been almost four months since Brent had seen Henry and Lloyd, and longer still since he had been with Adam and Johnny. It was last Christmas, he recalled. He had tried diligently to stay in touch, and yet three or four times a year seemed to be the most they could manage. When they were able to get together, they never failed to at least have a drink, often dinner. Brent didn't mind the late night and would catch the early flight to Castlegar the next morning. There was nothing regular about his work hours this past three years. Without Jeanette, and with Ludmilla looking after Scott during the day, he adopted a work-dominated existence. Now, Bonnie was on his mind, and he wanted to tell someone about her, someone he knew.

"Well, here he is, at last," Adam chirped.

"Hi guys," Brent said amiably, as he surveyed the foursome sitting in the booth. "Last one in buys a round still?" he grinned.

"Nope, your money's no good here," Henry said in mock seriousness.

"Oh well then ... I'll have a double," he laughed.

"Just how do you order a double beer?" Lloyd asked, laughing.

"I'll figure something out," Brent replied. It was as comfortable as slipping on well-worn slippers. He was among his friends again, and they were right back where they were three years ago. They spent the first few minutes trading stories and the occasional insult, with everyone smiling in the easy familiarity of the group. There would be four for dinner, since Lloyd had a social engagement with Diane that he couldn't skip out on. Lloyd left just before six, shaking hands first, and then giving Brent an almost bone-crushing hug.

They left the bar when their table was called in the dining room and enjoyed a sumptuous meal. Nowhere along the way was Brent permitted to pick up any share of the cost. He was an important client and Henry made it clear that he would be treated as such. Brent learned that their business with Mountain Pine had increased almost twenty percent, despite the sale of the ClearSeal Division. He had deliberately stayed away from purchasing decisions to avoid any conflict of interest. He was pleased that his old employer was very happy with the changes at his new company, and had been following his career through Charlie.

Sometime after ten, the group began to break up. Johnny headed home, and Adam wasn't far behind him. Henry had arranged for a cab while Brent could walk to his hotel from the restaurant.

"So, how's it going," Henry asked.

"Fine ... I love the job and I really like Charlie and the people at VCM. I owe you and Lloyd a lot for helping me find this."

"Well, I just wish it was under better circumstances. That was a crazy, heartbreaking time for you, Brent. I'm still amazed you came out of it whole."

"Henry, I'm the first to admit I wasn't much use for that last few months. I couldn't get my head around the fact that I was going to lose Jeanette. I just couldn't admit it was going to happen, and when it did, I wasn't ready for it," Brent admitted.

"Yah ... I don't think any of us were. Did they ever figure out if her thing at the strip club was related to her illness?" he asked carefully.

"No ... we'll never know for sure. It's possible, but who knows. There didn't seem to be any other symptoms at that point. Anyhow, I've forgotten all about that. It was just a bad moment among a lot of good memories. I still miss her, but it's gotten a bit easier in the past couple of years.

"You're lucky you are so close to Andy and Scott. Is she still the mother hen?"

"Oh yah ... nothing's changed. She's still Scott's mother too," he laughed. "I think Scott's just grateful she's in Lethbridge and he's in Castlegar."

"God, those kids grew up so fast," Henry said in amazement.

"I know. I'm still trying to get my head around Scott going to college in the fall and Andrea graduating next year."

"Has she decided what comes next?"

"Well, she's being a bit coy about it, but a little bird named Charlie told me she's been asking him a lot of questions about the business and what opportunities there might be." He had been smiling as he revealed his daughter's interest.

"How do you feel about that?"

"Pretty good. I was hoping she might want to get involved. It's a bit of a mixed blessing though," he admitted. "On the one hand, I'd love to have her there. On the other, I wonder if that would be fair to her or to Charlie," he admitted. "I guess I'll have to see how it all spills out."

"She got a boyfriend yet?"

"That's another little secret she's thinks she's been keeping from me. She been seeing Charlie's nephew, Sammy, off and on. He's at S.A.I.T. in Calgary and they have a long-distance relationship on the phone, e-mail, and occasionally a visit."

"You think it's serious?" Henry asked.

Brent shrugged. He clearly didn't know. "Time will tell. She's mature beyond her years. I just don't worry about her because she's so solid ... you know?"

"You're lucky. It must be great to have kids like that in this day and age," the older man offered.

"I wish they had a chance to grow up like other kids. They got a lot dumped on them all at once," Brent said sadly.

"They must be pretty strong, you know. They've gone through a lot and come out the other side as terrific young people. What more could you ask for?" Henry asked.

Brent smiled and nodded his agreement with his former mentor. He was right of course. He had nothing to complain about when it came to his children. They were going to be well prepared for their adult lives: much better than he had been, in fact.

Almost as an afterthought, Henry reached into his vest pocket and pulled out a card and passed it to Brent. "I heard you were looking for a primo builder to work with. This guy is top of the mark. He did some of the renovations on my place a couple of years ago and I haven't met anyone he's worked for that doesn't sing his praises. He'd be worth talking to," Henry suggested.

"Thanks. Tom Blanton. I see he's in West Vancouver. I'll give him a call and let him know you suggested it. Thanks, Henry" he said sincerely.

"Happy to help," he said, rising to go. They walked out to the foyer of the elegant restaurant and waited for Henry's cab.

"It was great to see all you guys again. I wish it could be more often. I miss the gang, and tonight was a lot of fun. Thanks for taking the time tonight, Henry"

They parted on the sidewalk as Henry left in the cab, and Brent walked the two blocks back to his hotel. It had been a pleasant evening, and he realized he had said nothing about Bonnie to any of them, but maybe that was just as well. It was early in their relationship, and there was no rush.

Chapter 23:

Brent sat with pride at Scott's graduation ceremony. He had made his promised B average again for the second year in a row and was qualified to attend almost any accredited university in Canada. That he had chosen to follow his sister's choice of Selkirk College in Castlegar was a minor surprise. Brent wondered if Tanya was the big influence in that decision, since she too would attend the local college.

Andrea sat beside him, holding his hand and beaming with happiness at her brother's accomplishment. "I don't see Tanya?" she noted.

"In the light blue dress in the middle of the second row. She's the blonde babe," her father kidded.

Andrea snickered at the reference as she craned her neck to see the girl who had caught her brother's attention. She would get a better look when they were called to the stage to receive their diplomas. When Tanya Dubrinski's name was called, she walked confidently up the five steps and onto the stage.

"Wow ... she's a babe all right! Scotty did alright for himself," she said in surprise. "She doesn't look anything like her mom."

"You noticed that too," her father smirked. "Maybe she was adopted."

"Dad!" she elbowed him in admonition. "It's a good thing Granma and Grampa didn't hear you."

Brent sneaked a look at his parents on the left of Andrea and watched as they anticipated Scott's name being called. The O'Leary's had been unable to attend as they were out of the country on a European vacation, but sent their best wishes, and a very nice check for Scott to spend on whatever he chose. Finally, the announcer called Scott Gordon and he stood and walked up the stairs and onto the stage.

Brent felt something close to tears as he watched his son, smiling at the assembled crowd, stand tall with his classmates. It was the same emotion he felt three years earlier when Andrea had received her diploma. His children had turned out very well, he thought. Much of the credit should go to their late mother. She was the one who was always there for them and helped manage their day-to-day lives. Jeanette would be bursting with pride on a day like this. He hoped somehow, that she knew how well her efforts had paid off. He shook himself to put a stop to the maudlin mood. It was a day of achievement and celebration, and that's what it would be.

In the two months since the home show, Brent had been to Calgary four times; twice on business, and twice with no other reason than to be with Bonnie. Their relationship had deepened in that time, and they began to talk about what might come next for them. He had met her son Tim, but she had not met either Andrea or Scott.

Andrea had a summer job at one of the big-box home stores in Trail. It was an attempt by her to familiarize herself in the industry she was seriously thinking of entering. Scott was in the lumber-sort area at VCM. It was a menial job that paid well because that's what Charlie had decided. Scott was bored, but recognized that the paycheck allowed him a lot of freedom that summer. His tuition and books were looked after by his parents' long established education fund. That meant he had a substantial entertainment fund to spend on Tanya.

Neither of his children was enthusiastic about a vacation trip that summer. Andrea wanted to get the most she could out of her work experience, and suggested to her father that the Christmas break might be a better time for a family vacation. Scott felt the same way, but his reasons were much simpler. He wanted to be close to Tanya and make sure some other guy didn't move in on his turf. He was playing defense.

Brent just shrugged and recognized that his offspring were almost adults and didn't depend on him as much anymore. It left him free to plan some time with Bonnie without having to worry about anyone else. He picked up the phone and punched in her number from memory.

"Hi babe, how was your day?" he asked lightly.

"It just got a whole lot better," she said. "How's my guy?"

"Fine. Just thinking about you, I'm fine."

"That's nice. I like to hear that," she cooed.

"Say ... that job of yours ... do you get any time off?"

"Well, I can have all the time off I want. I'm a contractor. If I'm not here, I don't work. Simple, huh!"

"How about a vacation with me?" he asked tentatively.

"Sounds wonderful. What do you have in mind?"

"Have you ever been to the Oregon coast?"

"No ... that sounds lovely. When do you want to go?"

"Whenever you can get away. I'll let Charlie know. I've got nothing special planned over the next two months, so I'm pretty flexible."

"I know I'll have some work Stampede week, so why don't we plan to go after that?" she suggested.

"Perfect! Let me look after the arrangements and we can have a couple of weeks to ourselves." he said, then stopping for a moment. "I'm sorry, Bonnie. I forgot all about Tim. What arrangements do you need to make?"

coaster2
coaster2
2,596 Followers
12