Second Chances Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
haremgirl
haremgirl
1,359 Followers

Aidan blinked and turned to face him. It was obvious he hadn't heard his brother speaking to him. "What?"

"I was asking whether you thought Mrs. Tisdale needed any supplies from town. I have to go in tomorrow for some lumber, and I would be happy to pick some things up for her if she needs them."

Aidan scowled blackly and looked down at his plate. He pushed his food around with disinterest. "I have no idea. I haven't seen her for three days." The thought that someone should look in on her to make sure she was faring well had crossed his mind, but he couldn't bear to visit her, knowing that she didn't want him. "Why don't you stop by and introduce yourself? Make sure she's doing alright and ask her if she needs anything."

Aidan looked back at his plate. Brian and Liam exchanged worried glances, wondering what had happened between Aidan and the Widow Tisdale.

"Alright, I will," Brian said.

***********

The next day, Naomi sat at her kitchen table, staring into the fire. The past four days had been hell, the nights even worse. To top off her misery, she had started her monthly. When she had seen the blood, she had burst into tears. The miniscule hope that by some miracle she might be carrying Aidan's child had been dashed into a million pieces. She didn't even know why she had dared to hope in the first place.

The sound of a wagon approaching caused her to jump up and run to the door. She threw the door open with a smile of welcome.

"Aidan!"

As soon as she saw the driver, her heart sank. Her radiant smile fizzled to be replaced by a look of despair. The driver set the brake on the wagon and hopped down, removing his hat as he walked toward her with a smile.

"Hello ma'am. Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm Aidan's brother, Brian McKenzie."

Naomi shook his proffered hand and smiled as politely as she could. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr. McKenzie. I'm Naomi Tisdale. Would you care to come inside for a cup of coffee?"

"No thank you, ma'am. I just stopped by on my way into town. Aidan said you might have need of some supplies. I would be happy to pick some things up for you, if you like."

The fact that Aidan had sent his brother to check on her rather than coming himself caused her chin to tremble slightly. Obviously, he wanted nothing further to do with her. Naomi plastered a phony smile on her face to cover her distress and shook her head.

"Thank you, Mr. McKenzie. That was very thoughtful of you, but I don't need anything just now. I appreciate your brother's concern, but you can assure him that he needn't worry about me. I'm quite capable of seeing to my own needs."

Brian studied her for a moment, sensing her underlying distress. Finally, he shrugged and smiled.

"Alright, ma'am. If you don't need anything, I'll be on my way. It was a pleasure to meet you, and I look forward to seeing you again sometime soon."

"Likewise, Mr. McKenzie. Bye now."

Naomi waved as he drove away before returning to the cabin. She closed the door and leaned her forehead against the rough wood, clenching her eyes against threatening tears.

"Enough weeping, you silly ninny! You can't spend the rest of your life crying all day."

She took a deep breath and straightened her shoulders. She had better get started peeling potatoes. Supper wouldn't make itself.

haremgirl
haremgirl
1,359 Followers
12