Secrets of The Tea Room Ch. 17

Story Info
Jackson rescues Rose.
6.7k words
4.78
8.6k
0
Story does not have any tags

Part 17 of the 18 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 09/12/2005
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I couldn't stand it any longer. I had to do something and told Brad so. He understood and suggested that he and I fly to Poza Rica. Perhaps we could help, perhaps not ... but it was better than staying here. So, he and I met at the municipal airport the next morning and the same private plane that had whisked Rose away carried the two of us over the Gulf of Mexico.

Brad had arranged for a car to be waiting for us and we were soon driving southwest to Oaxaca. We met the investigator at the hotel bar. Even though the bar boasted of air conditioning, it was sweltering in there and the slow ceiling fans did little to relieve the misery.

Yes, he had been to the school, but the headmaster of the school was adamant that no one there had seen Mr. Knight, much less picked him and a lady up over a week ago. The private investigator didn't know what else he could do. He had run up against a brick wall and no one would talk to him. He had offered cigarettes, money, anything he could think of, but no one would talk to him.

I thanked Brad and the investigator for all they had done and begged off for the evening. I needed time to think so I took a walk around the plaza. The streets were quiet and dark and I was grateful. I didn't need the distractions of sound and people to add to the commotion flying around in me. I'm not sure how long I walked. I purposely tried not to think, feeling that if I cleared my mind a solution would finally float to the top of my consciousness and it finally did.

I returned to the hotel and went straight to Brad's room. I knocked and was soon facing him, "Brad, I've got to stay. I'm sure that someone, somewhere, some time will have to show up in town for groceries or supplies and perhaps I can find out where Kellen and Rose are holed up. I just can't go back to New Orleans without Rose. I'm staying until I find her."

Brad understood and felt obligated to stay, as well. We sat long into the night talking and trying to develop some sort of plan. We finally agreed that I would take a room at the hotel which faced the cantina as well as several small shops. Brad would move from the hotel into a vacant little adobe casa across from the pharmacy and the little town's version of a mercantile. Then we would wait ... we would wait and watch ... and for the first time in my life, I prayed.

For three days I did not leave the chair by the window in my room. The dusty, sleepy current of humanity offered no indication of anything but their ordinary routines. On the fourth day my telephone rang, 'Jackson, it's Brad. Just a few minutes ago a dark blue sedan pulled in front of the pharmacy. The driver was only in the pharmacy for a few minutes then returned to the car with several packages.

Kellen is a diabetic and perhaps that is what the driver picked up ... anyway, he's headed down the street toward you. Keep an eye out and see if you can pick him up.'

Just as I hung up the phone, the sedan pulled in front of the cantina, the driver parked the car and sauntered inside. I hurriedly pulled on a pair of khaki shorts, a loud shirt, and sat a straw hat on my head. I slipped on a pair of hurraches and hurried down the stairs and across the street to the cantina.

I sat at table next to the man I recognized as the driver and ordered a beer. After sipping on it for a few minutes I caught the driver's eye, "Do you speak English?" I asked. He responded, 'A little, Senor ...'. Without being asked I got up and went over to his table and sat down.

I stuck out my hand and said, "Hey! I'm Bill ... I gotta tell you, the travel agent really pulled a fast one on me! I was sold a bill of goods about "explore the real Mexico" and I'm stuck here for a week! This is just not what I had in mind, you know? I expected a night life, pretty girls, and stuff to do and see ... instead here I am, trying to find someone who can speak English and keep me from dying of boredom. Bartender ... two more beers for me and my new amigo!"

I could tell by the look in his eye that he didn't want to be my friend or probably anyone else's either ... but he was getting a free beer, so he sat. I continued without hardly taking a breath, "What do you folks do around here for fun? Is there ever any excitement?"

He sipped his beer and shook his head, 'No Senor, we live quiet lives here ... if you wanted excitement you should have gone to Cancun or Acapulco.'

I laughed, "Boy, don't I know that now!" and motioned for the bartender to bring us two more beers although I hadn't even touched mine and he had only drunk about half of his, "Man ... at least are there any Americans around here? It would be nice to maybe talk to them and find out what they like to do around here."

"He finished his second beer with one long drink and then reached for the third one I had ordered, 'Senor, there is no one in this area you would care to speak with ... none who could help a tourist ... you would be better pleased to catch the next bus for Mexico City and finish your holiday there ...'

"Well, maybe you're right ... when does the next bus leave for Mexico City, do you know? But, you know what, I haven't had any tequila since I've been here ... why don't we try a couple" as I motioned for the bartender to come over, "Bring us a bottle of tequila and lime slices ..."

As I looked back at the driver, he had begun to relax in his seat and I repeated the question about the bus. 'The bus travels twice a week between here and Mexico City ... the next one leaves tomorrow.'

"What a relief ... I'll still have three days left on my vacation to enjoy ...but this afternoon, well enjoy the tequila!"

After sharing a few shots, we walked out of the cantina together laughing like old college buddies, "Well, my friend, where are you off to now?" I asked as I slung my arm over his shoulder and patted his chest.

I wanted him to think I was a lot further gone that I was. 'Errands, stupid errands for my boss ... look around you ... do you see flowers growing here? No! This rocky dirt cannot grow flowers ... it can hardly grow cactus ... yet this stupid man sends me to pick up rose bushes, rose bushes, so I go to the bus station now. They have come in and he is anxious to get them into the ground.'

My heart skipped a beat and sweat beads popped out on my forehead. I hoped he didn't notice ... or if he did I hoped he would think it was a consequence of the tequila and beer ... "Bus station? Do you think you could give me a ride overthere and I could buy my ticket for Mexico City ... in return, I'll help you load up those bushes ..."

After my generously plying him with free drinks for most of the afternoon, he was more than willing to accept my offer to help, so I climbed into the front seat and within a few short minutes we were at the bus station. When we entered, I spotted the rose buses stacked in a corner, "Hey, look, there they are. Let's get them into your car, then you can be on your way, I'll just walk back to my hotel after I get my ticket."

It was no problem steering him toward the corner, "Que! Look at this," he pointed, "no leaves, all wrapped in burlap, what do they think?"

I laughed as I picked up two of the bushes in each hand, "That's the way we plant them in America ... it's easier for them to take root and survive" He likewise picked up four bushes and I followed him back to the car.

While he opened the trunk and lay his four on the floor I was able to tear off one of the shipping labels from a bush at my feet. Without him seeing, I stuffed the paper in my pocket. I helped him with five more loads in and out of the station, then slammed the trunk and shook his hand, "Thanks for the suggestion about Mexico City, have a safe trip, do you have far to go?"

'Oh, no Senor, just an hour away, even on these roads, it's not a bad drive." I closed the car door behind him and waved as he drove off. I waited for him to turn the corner before I started quickly walking back to my hotel.

As soon as I got in my room I pulled out the shipping label from my pocket ...I took in a sudden breath of air. I didn't realize I had been holding my breath while I read, 'Mr. Kellen Knight, c/o Oaxaca Bus Station', so at least I knew Rose was within a few miles. I quickly called Brad and he came immediately to my room. We decided to make arrangements for an automobile and begin our search to cover a 60 mile radius around the town.

We started the next morning, bumping down one rough dusty road after another. It went on again that way for the next day and the day after that.

On the third day we had a stroke of luck, we spotted the dark blue sedan pulling out of a side road. We drove on past and he turned in the opposite direction. We drove until he was not longer in sight then doubled back to explore the little side road. We only drove for a few minutes before it dead ended at a security gate.

Since Brad might have been spotted by Kellen, I got out of the car and played dumb tourist, lost and trying to get directions. While I spoke with the guard I was able to see into the compound, at least a limited view. The house sat back several hundred feet and was an impressive two-story Spanish colonial. The guard was beginning to grow agitated, so I just shrugged my shoulders at him and walked back to the car.

When I got in and closed the door Brad looked at me, 'Well?' "I'm sure this must be the place, but I have no idea where Rose might be. I'll come back after dark and watch to see if I can figure out anything else."

We drove back to town with out talking and when Brad stopped the car in front of my hotel he said, 'I'll be back at 7:00 to pick you up. Well both go and watch ...' I nodded and turned to make my way up to my room.

The afternoon was torture. It was hot, thoughts and emotions tormenting me. I wanted to sleep but couldn't, so finally I showered and walked across the street to the cantina for something to eat and something cool to drink.

I was waiting in front of the hotel at 7:00 when Brad drove up. Again, we drove out of town without talking. When we had almost reached the little side road, Brad pulled the car off the road behind a stand of mesquite trees. 'I thought it might be best if we made our way on foot, we wouldn't want to give ourselves away with the car kicking up dust or being heard.'

"I agree. Tell you what, I'll go around to the east side of the house and you circle around to the west. Well meet back here after the lights go off in the house and well compare notes."

Brad nodded and reached into the back seat, pulled out two sets of binoculars and handed me one, 'I thought these might come in handy.'

"Thanks," I said and left the car. Dusk was falling quickly, so I made my way through arroyos until I could see the compound a few hundred feet in front of me. I stopped to survey the landscape and found a small hill off to my right that would provide me with an advantage spot to observe the inner courtyard of the compound. I made my way to the hill, climbed up the back side, then lay down on my stomach and put the binoculars to my eyes. It wasn't long before total night fell and I was able to sit up to continue watching.

Not much was going on, lights came on one by one in various rooms, I could see shadows moving behind windows, but there was no way I could determine who was making the shadows. About two hours later the lights began to go off downstairs and a few came on upstairs. I saw servants leaving the house and making their way to the front gate to leave for the evening.

Then it happened ... a light went on in one of the upstairs room and a pair of French doors opened on to a balcony. My heart stopped when I saw Rose walk out. The first thing I noticed was her posture. She always held herself straight and walked with grace, there was no mistaking that. She walked to the railing and stood looking over the desert.

It was all I could do to not run to her, not to shout, not to somehow let her know I was here. But now I knew where her room was ... then it struck me ... was it just her room or did Kellen Knight share it with her. As if to give me an instant answer, I saw Kellen walk out onto the balcony behind Rose and my heart fell to my feet.

I watched as he reached out, putting his hands on her shoulders he turned her to face him. I watched as his silhouette leaned in to kiss her. I saw her step back and saw her hand raise to stop him. Just as swiftly, he grabbed her hand and pushed it behind her back.

I watched as he used her wrist to leverage her toward him until she finally succumbed to his kiss. Through the binoculars I could see that she did not press her body into the kiss, but stayed stiff and erect. I watched as Kellen Knight drew his hand back, then jumped to my feet when I saw him slap her.

I began to run down the hill with murder in my heart when I felt my feet being knocked out from under me. I hit the ground with a hard thump that knocked the breath out of me.

I looked up to see Brad as he bent over me. 'Jackson, get your breath, but now is not the time, it's worse than I thought. Get your breath and let's get out of here!'

When I was able to finally gulp air back into my lungs, Brad helped me up and we made our way back to the car slowly, the desert night hiding many rocks and holes that made us stumble and fall.

Once back to the car Brad turned to me, 'I saw it, too, that's not the Kellen I've known half my life. I don't know what's gotten in to him. It's clear now, though, that we're going to have to get Rose out of there for her own safety, Here's what I've been thinking', as he started the car and we made our way back to town. By the time we had arrived at my hotel, I had agreed to his plan.

The next day both he and I separately gathered the things we felt might be necessary to rescue Rose. Brad picked me up again at 7:00 and we made our way through the Mexican desert to our hiding spot behind the mesquite trees.

He opened the trunk and handed me a bag that contained a length of rope, a flashlight, the binoculars, and sturdy shoes for Rose. He knotted up his brow when I took the pistol from the back of my belt and checked the chambers, 'That won't be necessary ...'.

I returned his gaze, "I hope not, but I told you before, if he's hurt Rose, I will see him dead. Now, come on, we're wasting time."

Brad grabbed a bag he had prepared for himself and we both made our way to the vantage point on the hill. We sat quietly until we saw the lights going out on the first floor. We waited and watched the servants leave, then we watched as the lights went on in several rooms on the second floor.

I nodded at Brad and we began to make our way down the hill and across the empty expanse to the compound wall. We were both thankful for a cloudy night so that the moon didn't hinder our advance.

The compound wall was only about 4 feet tall and we didn't have any trouble scaling it. We dropped silently to the ground and quickly looked around to see if we had been spotted. Evidentially, the guards relied heavily on the remote desert to keep out unwanted guests.

We quickly crossed the courtyard to the house and made our way to the kitchen entrance. It wasn't locked and we crept inside toward the stairway and began to climb, testing one step at a time, hoping that a sudden squeak wouldn't give us away.

Toward the top of the stairs we stopped, we could hear voices. As we were able to get a few feet further down the hall we could make out Kellen's voice and what he was saying, 'Rose. Please! I know you don't love me but you know how much I love you! I don't want to hurt you and if you just give me a chance, I know you will love me, too! I can't stand it anymore!

'I want you to come willingly to me, I'm tired of forcing you ... you're my wife now ... my wife!'

We heard a couple of foot steps before we heard the crash of something hitting the wall and shattering, 'Damn it, Kellen! Stay away from me! I swear I will rip your eyes out! I married you because I had no choice but I will never ... do you understand ... never be a wife to you!'

We heard a growl, then scuffling and we were still no longer. We burst into the room just as Kellen was forcing Rose onto the bed. I grabbed him by the shoulders, spun him around, and connected with a solid punch to his left jaw. He was stunned and stumbled before he fell. I turned to Rose who seemed to be in shock and paid no attention to what Brad was doing now that he had reached Kellen.

As I pulled her into my arms she was in a panic, 'Jackson ... oh God, Jackson! Please go. Please!'

Although confused, I pulled her to my chest even tighter, "What are you talking about? Do you want to stay with him?" She had begun to tremble in my arms and raised tear filled eyes to me, 'Of course not! But you must go, he is having you watched and will have you killed if I don't stay ...please Jackson! Go now, go now before something awful happens!'

That's when Brad got to his feet and we noticed a syringe in his hand, 'Rose ... nothing's going to happen to Jackson. I've given Kellen a sedative ... he's going to be out for a couple of hours, let's get out of here.'

'NO! NO!', she began to cry, 'He will have Jackson killed! He told me so, he has the money and the power to do it! He told me so!' She looked into my eyes, 'Please, I couldn't live with myself if anything happened to you ... go!' And she started to fight her way out of my embrace. Brad pulled another syringe from his cargo pants, quickly injecting Rose and soon she went limp in my arms.

I scooped her up and carried her down the stairs. Brad told me to wait as close to the guard gate as I could and he took off running through the desert toward the car. I positioned us in the shadows of a corner of the court yard and waited what seemed like hours for Brad. I slipped down to my knees and cradled Rose while she still slept in my arms.

Finally I heard a car coming at a slow speed toward the gate. I heard the guard walk outside the compound to await the approaching automobile and used this as my opportunity to inch closer. Brad stopped the car, turned the headlights off, and approached the guard. He tried to over power the guard, but was quickly being overcome.

I released Rose and raced up behind the guard. I hit him solidly on the head with the butt of my pistol. While Brad opened the back door, I ran back to get Rose and somehow got us both into the back seat. Brad sped down the one lane dirt road until we hit the main road. Instead of turning toward town, he headed in the opposite direction.

He turned his head slightly, "When Kellen comes to, the first place he'll check is in town ... by that time, we should almost be to Mexico City. We can make arrangements to get back to the States there."

I cradled my sleeping Rose as we bumped along bad roads. Captivated by her face in the moonlight, relieved by the weight of her against me, I was finally able to let my heart beat again and allowed the scent of her hair fill me with peace.

Not long after daylight Brad pulled in front of a nice hotel in Mexico City, Rose had begun to stir and waken, 'You two stay here for a few minutes while I check you in, then I'll get busy making arrangements for you to get out of here.'

Rose opened her eyes, confused at first, her last recollection was a struggle in a bedroom life times away from where we were now, 'Jack ... is it really you?'

I bent down to gently kiss her, "Yes, sweetheart, I'm with you now and everything is going to be fine." Her arms circled my neck and I pulled her closer yet to me, unwilling to break our connection.

Brad was at the car door opening it, 'Okay you two, come one, I've got you a room.' Rose got out of the car on shaky legs, but my arm circled her waist and she leaned on me. Brad led us through the lobby, called the elevator and took us to the room. 'For now, order up room service. I'll arrange to have fresh clothes and toiletries delivered. I'll make arrangements for a flight out, then I have to go back and check on Kellen. I'll see you both tomorrow.'

12