Sex Harassment, "Mike" and I

Story Info
What distinguishes harassment from a gaffe?
796 words
3.7
9.5k
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
DeniseNoe
DeniseNoe
47 Followers

I think that the feminists were right to point out the problem of sexual harassment. However, one barrier to effectively addressing this problem may be a common perception – and perhaps misperception -- that men are always those making crude sexual remarks or gestures and women are always those embarrassed or offended.

The Kellie Pickler song, "Things That Never Cross A Man's Mind" says "That joke is too dirty" is one of those things that men supposedly just never think.

My good friend Blunner Huzka has worked as a cook for almost all of his life. He presently works at an expensive steak restaurant. He has told me that women working there have flashed their breasts at him, mooned him, and frequently make explicit sexual remarks and jokes. In fact, one of the several reasons he so dislikes his job is that he dislikes the crude behavior of his co-workers, both male and female. When I tell some people about Blunner's dislike of sexual crudity, they have wondered if he is a prude or an extremely religious person. He is neither and enjoys soft-core porn and burlesque. He even gave me a soft-core porn flick for a present. However, he dislikes an abundance of sexual innuendo and behavior in his workplace.

Hollywood Squares may not be a supreme authority. However, one question I recall being asked was: "According to a recent study, who talks about sex more -- men or women?"

The celebrity who had been asked the question mulled it over for a moment and then said, "Women do."

The host said that was the correct answer.

I've asked other people which gender they think talks about sex more and their answers have been divided but at least some of them have said it is women. Blunner Huzka believes that women talk more about it than men do. I once worked with a woman who said that, especially if there are no men around, women's conversation tends to get "rancid." My ex-husband said he thought women tend to "talk dirty" more than men do.

I recently had an experience that may be relevant to this question. I have to give some background for the reader to understand it. About every day, and usually several times a day, I go to a convenience store within walking distance. It is owned by a man I'll call "Muhammad" and often worked by "Abdullah". The two are related.

At this store, I often talk to a construction worker I will call "Mike." We're not flirting or really friends but just acquaintances on friendly terms who make small talk when we see each other. He sometimes calls me "the candy monster" because I buy so much candy from the store.

Anyway, we were outside the store and I was talking to Mike and another man. I mentioned that I had recently read the Bible all the way through. Then I talked about the famous story of Adam and Eve and the Forbidden Fruit. "Everybody always says it was an apple that tempted Eve but the story in Genesis never says it was an apple," I pointed out. "I think the Forbidden Fruit had to be the banana because the banana is the one fruit that resembles something we women often like to put in out mouths."

"Oh, Denise!" Mike exclaimed as he grimaced. "I didn't know you'd go there! You're embarrassing us."

"I'm sorry I embarrassed you," I said. Then I changed the subject to something I'd read about math.

When I told Blunner about this, Blunner said, "Well, you really shouldn't make that type of a joke with someone you don't know well and aren't close to."

"Do you think he really was embarrassed?" I asked. "I mean, he's a construction worker."

"Well, if you assume he's a crude person because he's a construction worker, then you're stereotyping him," Blunner pointed out.

"Do you think I was harassing him?" I asked.

"It doesn't sound like harassment to me," Blunner replied. "It sounds like a gaffe."

Anyway, it was with some trepidation that I saw Mike again when I went to the aforementioned convenience store because I wondered if he would speak to me.

"Hi, Denise," he said. "What are you reading?"

"It's a book on backgammon," I answered, showing him the slim paperback I carried.

"Abdullah, you've got to put a backgammon table up," he said to the man behind the counter.

I have seen both men several times since the Eve and banana joke bombed. They always wave at me, say "hi," and sometimes make chit chat so I guess that neither is holding a grudge over it. However, I have been careful not to make any more sexual types of remarks to either of them.

Your thoughts?

DeniseNoe
DeniseNoe
47 Followers