Shackled Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Watching him arm his body, she moistened her lips and frowned as he spoke again, his voice cold, gruff and well...pissy.

Her jaw clenched in sudden anger. What the fuck was his problem? She hadn't made unreasonable requests. Hadn't even demanded anything. Moving past him she sat her bottom down and began jerking on her shoes, lacing them up and then grabbed her own jacket, pulling it back on.

"Ready when you are." She muttered, shoving her hands into her pockets. Her eyes bypassed his cold stare, Nope, not going to look at your moody butt, she told herself, hoping that Mrs. Chan had better people skills.

For a long moment there was silence and Emma felt increasingly irritated and nervous, but stood her ground. Oooh no. She wasn't going to say she was sorry not doing anything worth this attitude. Nope...no way. He had no reason to have his panties in a wad and she wasn't going to stroke his ego. Not without an explanation from him as to what she did. Ha! What a relationship this was turning out to be. She inwardly laughed at that. Just like the real thing without sex.

****

Hansen felt the anger start to leave him a little. He didn't like orders. He'd followed them once and....

He didn't like orders.

It'll be better like this. Keep it cool. Keep it professional.

You can't have emotion and protect the package.

The Package?

Now she's just a job?

Better.

Emma was standing there with her hands in her pockets.

"Sorry, Irish, it's not that I want a look at you, but you need to get your top off. They'll know what you were wearing last night," he said. "The cap has to go too. Just leave your hair as it is. They didn't get a look at that last night."

Yeah, right. If they want her, they'll know what she fucking looks like anyway.

Well, it makes it look like at least I know what I'm doing.

He walked over to the clothes cupboard again. He felt calm. In control. The feel and weight of the weapons on his body was a familiar and comforting feeling.

He pulled a t shirt out. This one would fit her. It was one of Bonnie O'Reilly's. He had other clothes too, but jeans were jeans. He hadn't given her one of those shirts last night because he wanted a stash of original clothes that they could change every day and he only had three of Bonnie's shirts there. Might as well make an effort of disguise....

He threw her the t shirt. "You can get changed in the bathroom if you're modesty prevents it here." He turned around to give her some privacy and sat with his butt against the kitchen bench.

When it boiled down to it, he was going to help her. Were his motives pure? Was he altruistic? He certainly had his reasons for fighting the Global Energy, Health and Food Management Council, but it wasn't all about altruism. He wanted revenge. If he could knock the eyes out of the fuckers while helping the woman, then all good and well. The bottom line was he wouldn't be happy till he could kill everyone involved in his family's deaths and destroy the whole thing.

Even if it killed him.

Especiallyif it killed him.

What else was there to live for?

Emma came out of the bathroom. She stood there with there with her hands in her pockets. Her long dark hair was a little mussed up without the cap, but she still looked good. Bonnie's clothes fit her perfectly.

If Bonnie's clothes fit you perfectly, then you are indeed a fine woman.

He pushed the thoughts from his mind.

Be professional.

At what?

Killing.

Killing is your business.

And business is about to get busy.

"Right," he said, "Get whatever you need. Bring the disk. We'll need it. We're going to the movies later, Irish. I hope you like movies. Don't say I don't take you anywhere. And...."

"And what?" she said, cutting him off a little defiantly. She obviously didn't like the new Hansen.

"Stay close or we'll lose our heads."

He tried to say it with a little lightness, but he was fighting with himself. He wanted to stay cool. Stay in control.

Don't fall for The Package.

The Package?

Hansen.

You're back.

******

They came out of the abandoned shell of the building and onto the street. It was odd being with her on the street in daylight. He'd only been with her under lights or in the darkness of night. He explained things to her while they walked.

Not hand in hand this time.

"We'll go see Mrs. Chan. Her son will disable the transponder. Then we'll go see another person I know. He'll get us a computer. A clean one. I'm not sure if you'll have access to outside comms. If he can ensure that our machine is untraceable, then I guess you can use it. If not, you're work will have to be offline and we'll work out how to exchange data with your friends."

He kept walking as he talked. There were not many people on the streets. The air was still humid from last night, but the sky was clear. It was sunny. It should have been a pleasant day, but they had no time for frivolity.

Emma walked beside him, nodding occasionally or mumbling. He didn't really listen to her except to make sure she understood what he was talking about.

"As for a scientist to help you, I have no idea," he said. "As you can tell, I don't really have any cause for contact with them. Bonnie or Carl may know of someone. What about your boyfriend that helped you get the disk? Would he help?"

He smirked and looked sideways at her, struggling to keep up with his fast walking. She didn't complain though, just kept walking and keeping up. She hadn't said it was her boyfriend and he didn't think it was. He just wanted to needle her, show her she meant nothing to him besides someone to help.

The Package.

He kept walking. They turned left into a large street. He hadn't seen one SPF yet, but that meant nothing. There was no point wearing a disguise for him. He just kept out of their way, or ran. That had been the way for years.

They weren't far from Mrs. Chan's now. He pulled out the comms unit and pressed a button. A text message went to her phone.

There in 5. Black. No sugar.

****

Emma felt her own irritation flag as she changed. This was stressful for both of them and she was becoming increasingly sure that Liam had his own demons and agenda in this. Otherwise he would have gotten rid of her a hell of a lot sooner. Not playing Mr. Nice Guy. No feeding her, getting her warm and not even making a real move to get in her pants. Not that he would want to, she chided herself. It wasn't as though she was anything special and certainly wasn't gunning to get laid!

Swiftly she changed and returned to him, still a little rumpled. In the back of her mind she wondered who's shirt this was. It obviously was female or wouldn't have fit her so nicely, but she get her mouth shut. If he wanted to tell her, he would, she told herself. But it was hard not to ask. Her curiosity was maddening in that instance. She wanted to know what was going on in his mind.

Biting her tongue, she did as she was told and grabbed the disk, lifting her shirt enough to slid am arm inside and bury the disk safely in the confines of her bra once more. Then they were off and once again, she had to hustle her steps to keep up with his longer strides. It made it difficult to hold a conversation, but she listened on carefully as he informed her of the plans and what to expect.

She missed his smirk, concentrating on his foot steps instead and periodically glancing around. What struck her as odd was how pretty it was out compared to the day before and how she's never truly noticed the weather much anymore...or daylight. She was in to work before the sun was up and back when it went down. Coffee and sugar were her best friends and she was rather surprised that she hadn't turned into a blimp.

"Simon would help...but I won't let him. He has a family, a wife and a kid. I don't want to endanger them. To be honest, I've been worried that he got in trouble just for turning a blind eye. He knew my plan and confronted me, but didn't stop me. I don't want to even think of the consequences."

She shuddered and hugged her middle, the mere thought making her queasy to say the least. She watched him pull out the comms unit, guessing that they had to be close and inwardly sighed. One less worry to think about!

****

He kept pressing on and they crossed the street. He walked up to a modest shopfront with a mix of English and Chinese writing. He stopped at the doorway to listen to Emma.

I had a family, a wife and a kid. I know what the consequences are.

"Ok, so maybe we leave him alone for a while," he said. "We'll see what we get today."

He pushed the door of the shop and an electronic buzzer went off. He stood in the doorway and held it open for Emma to come through. They walked into the shop.

He always enjoyed visiting Mrs. Chan at her shop. The exotic smells made his mouth water. She had every conceivable oriental ingredient for sale and many that weren't. You could get anything you wanted here.Anything.

They got about five meters into the shop when a small, frail looking oriental woman in a one piece coat and a small hat came out from the back. She shrieked.

"Liam, I have not seen you for a very long time!" she said. She walked up to him and wrapped her small arms around him and gave him a vigorous hug.

Hansen smiled as he held her. She looked like a doll in his arms. He bent his head down and gave her a long kiss on the forehead. She let him go and stepped back.

"Mrs. Chan, it's always a pleasure. And it's only been two weeks for God's sake"

"Ah, Liam, quit with the Mrs. Chan, I'm not that much older than you."

She had a very slight Chinese accent, but spoke English perfectly.

"Veracity has never been your strong point, so unfortunately, Mrs. Chan it is."

She chuckled and looked at Emma. "It's true," she said, "Liam is younger than my three Chinese sons. He is my fourth son."

"Thank you, Mrs. Chan," he said. He stepped out from between them and put his arm around Emma.

"This is Emma. She's the person I was telling you about that's electronically shackled to me."

She nodded approvingly at Emma.

"There are worse persons I could think of to be shackled to," she said with a smile and nodding towards Hansen.

Liam rolled his eyes and looked at Emma. He was already in a better mood just talking to Mrs. Chan. "Mrs. Chan thinks I'm a great catch for a woman, but that I make too much of an effort not to get caught." He turned back to Mrs. Chan. "Emma is a scientist and very intelligent. She could do better than me, Mrs. Chan."

Mrs. Chan hit him on the arm and laughed. "Don't be silly," she said. "Now come out the back. I have the coffee. While we drink and talk, my son will disable the transponder."

They followed the small woman to the back of the shop and went through a curtained doorway. There was a small kitchenette with a table and chairs. Hansen could smell the coffee. He and Emma sat down while Mrs. Chan busied herself organizing some cups and then she brought those and the percolator over to the table.

Hansen avoided Emma's eyes. He had been short with her today, but she had to realize that once they got into the full swing of this, it would get even worse.

Protect The Package.

It's Emma.

The Package. Then you both might live.

Before she sat down, Mrs. Chan went to a door at the rear of the kitchen and yelled something in Chinese. In moments, a tall thin man came to the entrance.

He nodded at Hansen. Hansen took the transponder and threw it to him.

"Ten minutes, Liam," was all he said.

Hansen nodded again and sat back in his chair. Mrs. Chan poured him a coffee and passed it to him. She did the same for Emma and then sat back.

She saw Emma's inquisitive look. "I don't drink coffee. I have enough energy as it is," said the oriental woman, smiling.

Hansen sipped on his coffee.

"Very quiet," said Mrs. Chan, looking at him with a frown, "so you force me to ask what is going on. It's like pulling teeth with you." She looked across at Emma. "Sometimes he says a lot. Sometimes he says nothing. Sometimes he's happy. Sometimes he's sad. Liam is like the weather. You never know."

Emma looked at her and said, "Idoknow."

Hansen cringed.

"Ok, I can see I'm surrounded here," he said. He proceeded to tell Mrs. Chan the whole story. He didn't know what Emma was thinking, but she probably thought what the fuck he was doing telling this oriental woman. When he needed clarification, he would look at Emma to provide extra details or confirmation that what he was saying was correct.

She sat there with her hands clasped on the table. She didn't move except to pour them more coffee and the rest of the time she listened intently and asked some specific questions.

When he'd finished, Mrs. Chan said, "Looks like an impossible situation." She paused for a few moments and then smiled. "Your favorite type."

"I guess," he said.

"You know you have very little chance here, don't you?"

"Yes."

"You know you and her," she looked at Emma, "will probably die?"

"I do."

"But you will do it, won't you?" she said.

"I will," said Hansen.

"Because you are Liam Hansen."

"I am who I am," he said. "I can't change that."

The tall thin man popped his head into the room.

"It's done," he said. "You can forget about the transponder. You need to get to a master unit to disable the shackles. I can't help you with that."

"Thanks," said Liam.

"Never a problem for you, sir," he said and then disappeared just as quickly as he'd appeared.

Mrs. Chan looked at Emma, a hard look on her face. The twinkle in her eyes was gone as was the lightness and humor in her voice. "I know you have been worried about what Liam has been telling me. When I say that Liam is my fourth son, I mean it."

She raised one of her tiny hands and put it over Hansen's.

"Many years ago, my husband had a problem. It was a very bad problem. All of his friends could not help him or would not help him. Liam was an acquaintance of my husband. He helped him when it looked impossible. He.... saved him when no one else would. We owe him everything."

Hansen shook his head. "That's not true."

She put her other hand up so that her finger covered her lips and Hansen stopped talking. She paused for a further moment as if recounting the story pained her.

"I do not know you. If Liam brings you here and needs help, then I will help you because you are with Liam. My sons will help you. Nothing is too much to ask. Even our lives."

Her hand squeezed Hansen's tighter.

"You are lucky to have him. If he cannot save you, then God himself would have failed."

She stopped and looked at Liam. "I love you, son," she said.

He nodded at her.

I love you, too.

But he couldn't say it.

Mrs. Chan took her hand back and clapped lightly. Her old demeanor was back. "This sounds like fun. So what more can we do to help?"

"I need a clean computer," he said. "I know it might take a few days. It needs to have untraceable comms if that is possible. We can get around it if it hasn't but it would be nice."

She looked at him and scoffed. "Oh, Liam, I thought you were going to give me something hard to do. I knew you didn't need guns – my God, you have enough weapons on you to start a small war."

She smiled. She was good at identifying weapons on people. In fact, she was just about the best he knew. Of course, she did have the advantage of hugging him before, but it was still impressive.

He smiled.

They both looked at Emma.

"If we start this, it finishes one way or the other," he said. "But it must finish. Do you want to start this?"

I hope she says no.

Shut up.

Well I'm allowed to have an opinion, aren't I?

****


What choice did she have?? If she didn't start this, this virus...disease...would spread like wild fire. Leaning back in her chair, Emma rubbed her suddenly damp hands against the sturdy material of her jeans. "I see no other choice." She finally said, looking determined, if not so sure. "I couldn't live with the thought that I have unwittingly created something so evil. Even if that was not my goal. I let myself be used and I won't do that again. I've got to get this formula finished and bring them down."

Driving her fingers into her thick hair, she sighed and propped her elbows onto the small table, holding her head in her hands. "It makes me sick just thinking about it. I wish I had forgotten to lock up or left the stove on one day, but instead I was blind and naïve...this mistake will effect millions. I can't let that happen. So many innocent...."

Her voice trailed off, her throat tightening.

"There there..." Mrs. Chan soothed softly and caught one slender arm, pulling her hand down with a smile. "We will get you fixed up. I have all the faith in the world that if anyone can handle this job, it's Liam. With a you by his side, you will make a difference. The only thing we don't know for sure is how big of a difference."

Emma wasn't sure if that was much reassurance, but smiled and nodded slightly.

"NOW! Before I find you this clean computer that you speak off, you need sugar." The older lady grinned and stood, shuffling away and upon returning dropped a big box of sugary delights in front of Emma's nose. "Everything is made better with sweets. And you need a little more meat on your bones. Tisk tisk Liam. I'm sending you home with an extra chicken."

Emma laughed and sighed, "Will you adopt me too Mrs. Chan?" She teased and poked Liam in the side before picking up a decadent pastry and taking a large bite with a moan of pure satisfaction.

Mrs. Chan let out a rough, almost cackle of a laugh. "I like this girl. You will keep her close."

"Do I have a choice?" He replied, earning him another glare and poke.

"Hey!" She mumbled behind her pastry, "That's not nice. I'm excellent company."

"Well you two eat up. I'll be back."

"Mmmmph!" Emma gave her a wave, chewing happily on her food while Liam shot her a look. She raised her brows innocently and swallowed. "I like Mrs. Chan." Licking her fingers, she sipped on her coffee and sighed again, feeling tons better already. Her eyes held hers before she slid her hand over and caught his own with a soft smile. "Thank you. For bringing me here, for helping, for everything."

****

There. It was done. She wanted to finish the work she had started. Not only would that mean they couldn't just disappear, it would put them directly in the firing line of what passed for a government.

You're gonna regret this....

Why don't you just shut the fuck up?

Suicide.

He felt Emma's hand slide over his. It felt soft and warm. She was smiling at him.

He didn't know what to say. He was not one for emotions. Jessica had always said that....

Yeah. You think about Jessica. It's all going to happen again. You're falling for her, aren't you?

I am not.

You are.

Fuck off.

It's all going to end in tragedy. I'm telling you.

He shook his head and he was back in Mrs. Chan's kitchenette. Emma still had her hand on his and it stirred emotions in him. Not only emotions if he was honest. He could feel his jeans becoming a little tight. He coughed and shifted his position discretely to give himself some more room down there.

Mrs. Chan came back into the room.

"I'll be able to get a computer, but...."

"But what?" interrupted Hansen.

Mrs. Chan looked at him a little annoyed.

"Well, you don't talk, then you talk. I apologize for talking while you were rudely interrupting...."

He smiled wanly at her.

"Sorry."

"That's better. What I was saying," she said shooting him a look of admonition with a wink, "was that I can get the computer, but we need to make sure the comms are secure and untraceable. I should have it in a couple of days. I will get one of the boys to deliver it."