Shadow of the Hunter Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"It was worse than predatory. The goblins, they're a pretty unpleasant crew. But this, the energy she gave off was malignant, like cancer given form, and she wanted to spread it as far she could. And the worse thing..." Chad lowered his head and his gaze seemed to turn inward.

"I saw in it a reflection of me," he finished quietly. "The malevolence, the desire to destroy, the need to possess something, someone, to the point that they're broken. Yeah, seeing the Jorogumo yanked out what was left of my foundation." Chad fell silent again.

Ambrose turned over what he wanted to say. "I'm sorry you had to go through such a horrible experience. Often our shadows are terrifying to behold."

"Shadows, huh?"

Ambrose nodded. "Everyone has a shadow side, things about themselves they don't like. But, if integrated with wisdom, they can give us strength. May I ask what happened next?"

Chad shrugged. "Well, eventually, I hooked up with Qiang. I picked up the hawk thing from him. I guess he said that, didn't he? Anyway, I latched onto the idea that if theJorogumo was destroyed, things would be better. And she was. And you know what? Nothing fucking changed. I was on my way back from killing the Jorogumo when I ran into you and the goblins that first time." Chad shook his head. "I have to confess, I picked up the hunting for a similar reason, a focus until I can get back. Sometimes I don't think I'll ever find my way back from the madness."

"You won't," Ambrose confirmed.

Chad looked at him.

"You've come out the other side of it. And no matter what path you chose from here, you can't go back to what was before."

Chad was considering what Ambrose had said when a hand was laid gently on his shoulder. Chad bolted upright and spun around as he pulled Ambrose behind him. A soft laughter followed him.

"My, but our new hunter is jumpy." A trim young woman leaned against the bench. Her long red hair hung down her back and partially in her face. The bottom part of it was white. Chad's first inclination was that it had been dyed, but something seemed natural about it. Somehow, it seemed right for her.

"This is Rin," Ambrose explained with a gesture to the woman as he returned to his seat. "She is not a danger. But thank you for your concern." He looked back to the woman. "That was very inconsiderate," he chastised her.

She laughed again, a rich, throaty sound. "He should relax more. He's among friends."

Chad didn't return to his seat. He cocked his head and studied her, filtering through his impressions. Ambrose was right, he didn't get any sort of threat feeling from her. Her presence still put him on edge. She was not human, he could tell. Her form was human enough, though.

She was about five foot four, with a pale complection, and while she was trim, there were still enough curves to be enticing. Her breasts were small, and pert, her hips inviting. In fact, almost everything about her seemed alluring, from her laughing amber eyes, lush mouth, and lovely figure, to the spicy scent that came off her. Chad thought at first it might be a cologne, but it also seemed part of her, like her curious hair color. Then it struck him, she exuded sex, similar to the Jorogumo. Not predatory, like the Jorogumo. She seemed far more playful than that. The similarity was enough to get Chad's hackles up.

He took a step towards the bench. He didn't take a seat. Instead, he set his foot on the bench and leaned against his thigh.

"Is there something I can do for you?" Tension seeped into his voice.

"You already have." She smiled. "I'm here for what I can do for you."

"I'm not following."

"The other night, in the alley. When you put down the goblin enforcer. The woman was one of mine. And it occurs to me I owe you some gratitude."

Rin's sultry stance and seductive smile left little doubt as to what form the gratitude would take. "One of yours? Are you a pimp or something?"

Her smile turned demure. "Such a harsh question to ask so soon of an acquaintance."

Chad turned to Ambrose. "So, is she a pimp or something?"

Ambrose smiled. "No. There are certain ones she looks after. But there life choices are there own."

"Ah. Good to know."

Rin sauntered over to where Chad was standing. She laid her hand on his thigh and leaned in close, her voice a provocative whisper. "That isn't to say I don't have a trick or two of my own. I would be happy to show you."

Chad dropped his leg. Rin caught herself easily.

"I have someplace else I have to be. Later days." He turned to Ambrose. "See you around."

Ambrose nodded and Chad walked away. Rin took a seat on the bench next to Ambrose.

"Well, he's certainly tightly wound. We'll have to see what we can do about that." Rin observed.

Ambrose sighed. "He's new to all this, Rin. Give the poor man some time."

She smirked. "If I wait too long, he'll be old before his time. You know what they say about all work and no play, don't you?" And with that she faded out, leaving Ambrose to equal parts wonder and worry about what she might do.