Shadow School Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Oh, we can coach you on what to say..." the blonde said, "but if you do not make much of an appearance in the first few years here... do you think they'll ask questions?"

"Why wouldn't I make an appearance?"

"Why, all the activities, of course!" Virginia beamed at her, Thought Melanie thought the aspect was a little fake. "There are a number of things to occupy you during your first few years here and we encourage lots of interaction within the student body, even during the summer."

John Harvard coughed. Melanie eyed him then looked back at Virginia. It was like he had hid a laugh. What was that all about?

"Do you have a boyfriend, Miss Carver?" The question came from John, thank God.

She did not look at Gavin. She did not.

"No."

"I only ask because a young man would be harder to leave behind if you-"

"I don't." Melanie's tone was firm and final.

The Head of Harvard House nodded and turned his eyes in the direction of Gavin. Melanie refused to follow his gaze and decided instead to look at her lap.

"Miss Carver," her name on Gavin's lips in such a formal manner made her flush. Awk. Ward. "Do you really think you are a fit for this program?"

Melanie looked at him then. So did everyone else. They seemed shocked by his words.

"I..."

"There are many responsibilities to consider when you attend this college. Secrets to keep, traditions to follow... you seem to be on a straight and narrow path in your life. Do you think you will be able to handle everything that comes with the acceptance of this scholarship?"

"Gavin," the blonde woman hedged...

"I am not speaking to you, Virginia; I am asking a simple of question of Miss Carver." Gavin never took his eyes from her. "Yes, or No, will do."

The others turned back to Melanie. President Arinson had sat up in his chair.

Melanie tried to gulp but her mouth was dry. "Yes."

It was like everyone had been holding their breath... a collective exhale sounded through the room. It was silent a moment after that; Melanie guessed they were all trying to figure out how to proceed.

"Harvard House has heard enough." John Harvard said, stepping forward. He was very British, in form as much as language. Melanie wondered if the Harvards who started the university here in America were his ancestors. He smirked. "It was a pleasure to meet you, my dear."

Melanie shook his hand and turned to watch him leave. What did that mean? Didn't he want her for his House? Or was this a good thing?

When she turned back around, Melanie saw Gavin and Virginia looking at one another with calculating faces. When no one spoke, she turned to the President, but he was watching the Heads as well.

Virginia turned to President Arinson. "Roanoke House is content with the proceedings."

Gavin turned and spoke as well. "Ovidan House is also content."

Virginia spun to face him, eyes wide. "Roanoke retracts." She sputtered, looking at the President. "I wish to interview the girl."

It was Gavin's turn to stare. "Virginia-"

Virignia turned her swift gaze on Melanie. "Melanie, you are aware that this college is run by vampires, yes?"

Melanie stared, wide-eyed at the blonde. The President made a choking sound.

"There. She knows." Virginia glanced at Gavin. "Do not act so shocked, Ovidan, you bit her. She knows you did. Roanoke will interview her if you will not."

"I don't want her here, Virginia." Gavin spoke through gritted teeth.

"Well it's too late now, isn't it." Virginia turned and beamed at Melanie, this time it was real. "Don't worry child, we do not wish you harm. In fact, we wish you to live a very happy life; for you and your descendants." She flicked a glance at Gavin. "So now that you know the truth would you like to learn more? You can ask me anything you like."

Melanie's mind was blank. "I'm sorry... are you serious?"

"No!" Gavin blurted out while Virginia said. "Yes. Of course."

Melanie rubbed at the place on her neck where Gavin had bitten her, considering. She'd checked herself after her encounter with Trenton and never saw any marks...

"Melanie, please." Well, there went the whole 'Miss Carver' deal. Gavin's voice came out in a rude, clipped rush. "The interview is over. Decline any others. Ask no questions. You are dismissed."

"Hardly," Virginia scoffed. "Ask whatever you like, child."

It was so odd having a girl who looked just a few years older than her call her "child." Maybe the blonde was crazy. Melanie looked at Gavin, who stared at her; his eyes boring into hers. It made her uncomfortable.

She did the only thing she thought she could do: she looked to the only other person in the room. "Is the college run by vampires?"

President Arinson scowled over at Virginia. "Miss Carver, we do not lie about things here if we can help it. You've been given two choices, one to leave, the other to stay. We will answer your questions honestly if you ask them, but once you know the workings of our school there's no turning back. You WILL attend here, scholarship or no."

Woah. Challenge much?

After the last sentence Melanie felt like leaving the room immediately. Gavin was being rude and the whole thing had her on the verge of tears; she might as well go. On the other hand, what was this whole thing about knowing the workings of the school? If she didn't know better, the President was about to confirm Virginia's statement... otherwise, why would he phrase things that way? Of course, until then, it was all unqualified. Melanie could walk away thinking the willowy blonde was a loony toon.

But then, Gavin HAD bitten her... was he really the reason Melanie was half crazed that night? Was he the reason she lost her virginity to that jock; a friend who should have protected her but instead took advantage of her erratic state? And was that erratic state something Gavin had actually caused?

Melanie looked right at her dark ex-boyfriend. He scowled at her and shook his head.

"Are you a vampire, Gavin?"

What was she crazy? What would she do if he said yes? Melanie knew now in her gut he could very well be one... and she was condemning herself to staying here, knowing what he was. Mary, Mother of God. She was in deep.

He didn't reply. He simply looked at her.

Oh, St. Michael protect her. He looked at her. With pupils the size of his irises.

It was eerie, having someone look at her like that. It was like watching a cat hone in on something they were about to pounce on. It gives your heart a thrill to see one do it from the side, but to have that kind of gaze directed at you, and by something the size of a human...

Gavin wasn't human.

Melanie crossed herself.

Her ex sighed and looked away.

"Well. There you are. Congratulations my dear, you're coming to Shacrow VanMeter." Virginia's voice was matter-of-fact. "Now we'll just have to see which House gets to claim you."

Melanie looked back to President Arinson. The man sighed. Was he a vampire too?

"I..." Melanie gulped, her words getting stuck in her throat. "I haven't decided..."

Could she run? Silly thought, but the exit was so close...

"Oh child," Virginia said, walking across the room to lean on the door, effectively cutting off any escape, "you decided to moment you asked for the truth. President Arinson even gave you a chance to leave. You've made your decision. I'm afraid it's final."

Melanie looked back at Gavin. He wasn't looking at her.

What had she done?

Why? Why did she have to ask? Why did she have to know?

Well... now that she did know... what would happen to her?

"The things we offered to you are still in place," the President said. "The chance to do great things in the world, research-"

"Blood work." Melanie interrupted him. She felt her own blood drain from her face. "So, I'm not meant to be a snack... I'm just making other snacks... more tasty." She said it with as much sarcasm as she could muster.

Virginia grunted a laugh. "The one thing you can count on is that every girl chosen for the scholarship will be well taken care of... bites happen... but usually for more pleasurable purposes."

Melanie glanced at Gavin. He was looking daggers at the blonde woman. He bit me while we were making out, Melanie thought. Pleasurable purposes... "Your own?" she asked. How could it be pleasurable for the one being bitten? She remembered... it had hurt. It lasted only a second, but she remembered the pain of it... sort of... there was that fog... She blushed then, remembering the reaction she'd had by the time Trent had found her.

Virginia answered her while grinning back at Gavin. She looked like a cat, toying with a mouse. "It's something lovers do on occasion."

"Enough." Gavin said, scowling over at the President. "Ovidan House reasserts the right to interview Miss Carver... now that she's no longer uninformed."

"Roanoke House would like to remind Ovidan House that the rights to interview were relinquished just moments ago."

Gavin smiled balefully. "Might I remind you, Virginia, that you did the same?"

President Arinson interjected. "Both Houses relinquished rites to ask questions so it is only fair that both are reinstated. This has gone too far. Might I remind Roanoke House that tradition frowns upon telling our secret outright to lock a girl into our roster? This will not be tolerated a second time."

"You can do nothing to me for breaking that tradition, Arinson." Virginia crossed her arms. "You know as well as I how many rules have been broken with this batch of girls. I have done nothing compared to what Ovidan and even your own house-"

"That is enough!" President Arinson's tone was so threatening that Melanie sunk back into her chair. He looked at her then, his face softening. "Under such circumstances both houses can plead their case and have Miss Carver choose which is to interview her."

Virginia crossed the room to stand where she had been before. Gavin seemed to barely tolerate her presence. Melanie suddenly wished she'd never come to this campus, or had at least left the moment she saw Louis; she should have known Gavin would be behind this. Lord, Father, help her.

Virginia plastered a smile across her face. "Miss Carver, I would like to interview you further to see if you are a fit for Roanoke House. Though I sound French, my House can boast being the first truly American bloodline. Unlike other Houses, Roanoke has a special connection with another House on campus, and enjoys the extra connection that bond secures, but here and out in the world. Every woman who graduates..."

Virginia's words dimmed to background noise as Melanie turned her eyes to Gavin. He was looking back at her, the scowl on his face becoming a permanent aspect. She wondered why he didn't want her here. And now he was fighting to get her for his House? No thank you. If she was here, she'd rather not end up in her ex's House, especially if she was unwanted. She was curious about what he had to say, but really, why waste his breath? What happened to her at Prom was his fault. And it was probably his fault that she was here. At a college of vampires.

Gavin continued to stare at her when he interrupted Virginia's speech. "Ovidan concedes to Roanoke."

Viginia's voice hitched, a little surprised the fight had been one so easily no doubt.

Melanie turned away to look at the wall, her eyes brimming with tears. This was all too much to take for... what... ten minutes? Ten minutes and her world had changed for the worse. Far, far worse.

And with that, Gavin Ovidan left the room.

***

Kristie MacFarland lounged on her bed, absolutely glowing from the aftermath of Daman Sokar's hands. She'd taken a shower when she got back, throwing away a perfectly good but now ruined pair of underwear, and now sat listening to a CD. Joan Jett was screaming with that sexy voice of hers and Kristie was purposefully ignoring the loud voices coming from the suite's living room.

Kristie's parents never got along. They came together for special events in her life, like her upcoming graduation, but really, she just wished they'd separate and play nice from opposite sides of the field. She didn't even want to know what caused it this time.

It went on for a good half hour before a truce or a stalemate had apparently been reached followed by the typical awkward silence.

Kris was laying on her bed, flipping through a magazine when her mom knocked on the door and told her it was time to go to the banquet. Jumping up, Kristie checked herself in the mirror, made sure her hair was properly mussed, applied some lip gloss, and sauntered into the living room.

"What are you wearing?" Kristie's mother eyed her daughter with reproach.

Kris couldn't blame her... for the banquet she'd decided to wear a super short pleated skirt, button down top and loose red necktie. She'd seen the uniforms the students at this college were wearing and she thought she would step it up a notch. Sure, it was rebellious and uncouth, probably better for the bedroom than a banquet of scholarship chasers, but she wanted to see how bad this school wanted her.

Want me to play your game of Houses? Kristie thought. Sure. Let's go.

She had no idea what gave her the idea to pack the outfit, but she had a few others for her random mood-changes. Right now, she's was feeling extremely playful... that energized buzz that follows something completely unplanned and thrilling. Kris even winked at Marta, the petite blonde who'd been their family's escort since they arrived. The girl returned her stare with an amused shake of her head.

"Go change young lady. You could risk your scholarship." Her father scrubbed a hand through his short, salt-and-pepper hair. "We apologize..."

"No need to." Marta said. "It's not typically what scholarship applicants wear, but we encourage the girls to express themselves openly and be who they are."

"Trust me dad, I think I'll be fine. Besides... it's just applicants and their parents, right? No Heads or Houses?" Okay, Kris might have hoped Daman would catch a glimpse...

"Think of how it will look!" Her mother blurted out.

"I think it'll look like I won't be chosen. And if I am, I can't wait to see the shock on their faces." Kristie bent over, giving her socks a tug. I dare them to pick me now, Kristie thought. She knew her mother might be mollified by the tight shorts under the skirt... if there wasn't any underwear showing she could probably get away with it.

She did.

Marta led her and her family back to VanMeter Hall, this time taking them past the theatre and into a banquet room where some of the families already waited. Some of the girls and parents openly stared at her while others glanced away, purposely avoiding her. It was interesting to see how many dads looked her way and got their arms slapped or toes stomped by their wives.

That's it Daddies, think all the naughty thoughts you want cause it's a snowballs chance in Hell. Kristie adopted her innocent look, clasping her hands behind her back and following her parents as if she was clueless to the fact that her skirt was a little too short.

That's when she caught the eye of one of the other students. A athletic-looking brunette with thick straight hair that was cropped straight across at her shoulders. What was her name? Devin. She was called out by that burly guy before they had gone into the theatre. Devin looked away, red faced, and Kris thought she might have just made a new friend.

"Oh, my God, what, are you wearing?" Kristie turned to see Cameron coming over, her parents eyeing Kris warily.

Kristie put a hand on her hip and studied her nails. Not that she had cute nails... she was a biter... but the pose she was striking -- with the hip pop and everything -- was drawing eyes to her long legs. This whole deal was cracking her up. "What, my school uniform?"

"Are you purposefully ruining your chances here?" Cameron said, looking around, her own cheeks a little pink just from being next to Kristie's open display.

Kris lowered her voice. "Actually... I think I might have it in the bag for Sokar. Who ended up interviewing you?" Was it just her or did Cameron's cheeks get even redder?

"Arinson. Yeah... I think I'm probably coming here."

Kristie wondered if Cameron had the same experience she'd had. "Coming? Or Cumming." She'd lowered her voice just enough but by the look on Cameron's face you would have thought she'd asked it loudly.

"Oh..." Cameron was suddenly speechless. And, yeah, her cheeks were beat red.

"Reeeeally." Kristie hissed under her breath. "So what's Mr. Arinson like? Did he spank you and say you were a bad girl?"

"Jesus, Kris!" Cameron hissed back, "Do you have to be so crude? And no... no... spanking."

Kristie shrugged. "Sorry, I'm in a kinky mood." She backed off a little, realizing she might have been pouring it on a little too much with the outfit and all. "You would not believe... well, maybe now isn't the best time to discuss it." She'd noticed how full the room was getting and the looks coming her way were sure to be accompanied to ears tuning into whatever she was saying.

"I wonder if Melanie got the same treatment." Cameron said the name like she'd bit into a lemon.

"Hmm." Kris felt a comment reach the back of her teeth and rebound. No... she wouldn't go there. Not if she wanted to keep Cameron as a friend. She knew the girl was hurt by what went on at the Prom, so that topic was off limits.

The two girls spotted Melanie with her family entering behind Louis Ovidan. Melanie was looking around, eyes wide. Kris wondered what that expression was for. It was like Melanie was preoccupied and worried at the same time. She was looking at each girl, sizing them up. Maybe she didn't get the same assurances Kris and Cameron had received.

Louis called everyone over to their places at two long tables stretching down the room; students and parents took their places. As luck would have it, Kris ended up sitting right next to the brunette she'd made eye contact with earlier.

"Hi." Kris said, grabbing her napkin and putting it in her lap."

"Hello..." the girl said, grabbing her own napkin and doing the same.

"You're Devin, right?"

"Yeah."

"I'm Kristie."

"Nice to meet you."

The girl was shy. It was kind of cute.

"How did you're interview go?" Kristie took a roll from the bread basket then grabbed the whole thing and held it out for Devin.

Devin took a roll. "Thanks. Um... it went good, I guess. The President was nice."

"So do you think you'll get a scholarship?" Kris didn't really know what the protocol was for talking about the interviews since everyone was competing against one another, but she thought if she was as nonchalant as possible then the girl wouldn't think she was prying.

"Um... maybe."

Geez, was this girl going to talk or what?

Then... she did. "I have a boyfriend back home so they think that might be a problem... I just don't know if I want to break up with him to go this to college."

Boyfriend. Well, damn. "It works sometimes... I've heard." Okay Kristie hadn't heard that, but she was sure some relationships did actually work out despite the distance. Sure it did. Somewhere. Where, she had no idea. "Or if it doesn't, there seem to be some cute guys on campus." Not that she'd noticed.

Well, other than Daman. But Daman wasn't cute. He was Black fire. And Kris wanted to be burned again.

The girl grinned. "We'll see I guess. I think there's some weird things going on here though... my parents are not completely sold on the place."

Weird things? What, like vampires? Yeah I picked up on that too. Kris wanted so bad to say it but she kept it inside, letting it bounce around her brain. She was crazy for going through with this, knowing that some very fucked up things could be on the horizon. But hot damn... every time she thought about just up and leaving all the ceremony and sorority crap behind she'd get an image of Daman's dark skin against hers and start reliving the feel of his fingers inside her. Sometimes she even touched her lips, feeling the phantoms of his kisses.