Shalyn's Story

Story Info
A wood elf's story.
4.1k words
3.93
13.1k
4

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 01/19/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Dear Readers: Thank you for taking time to read my story. I am a new writer, and would like any form of criticism. So please leave your comments, as it will help me to become a better writer. This is the first chapter of the story, and I Hope you enjoy.

*

Chapter 1

Shalyn's eyes fluttered open, her eyes squinted at the sunlight seeping in from her bedroom window. She stretched and her foot rubbed against Amaine's. With sleepy eyes, she glanced to see her sister still sleeping and thought, "She doesn't need to be up for a couple more hours; it would be a pity to wake her." Shalyn slipped from the bed with care, and finished stretching with a yawn.

As her eyes adjusted, Shalyn glanced around the room in the pre - dawn light, smelling the crisp air that came with this early hour. Only the sound of a few birds chirping broke the morning's silence. Her eyes focused back on Amaine's sleeping form while she moved into the warm spot her body just left. Shalyn silently chuckled and smiled. Although she had another couple decades to grow, Amaine had always been small for her age, just shy of 4 feet tall. It appeared that Amaine would always be small and slender, like herself.

Shalyn's eyes traveled to look at her sister's hair, her favorite feature of her sister. Unlike most elves in her clan, she has dark brown hair, dark enough for the nonobservant elf to mistake it for black. However, those close to her noticed that her hair was brown. Her hair also was curly. The curls cascaded down her head, framing her face in a flattering matter; and then coming to rest on her narrow shoulders. "When she grows, she will become even more beautiful than she is now.

A cool breeze filtered in from the window, startling Shalyn. She took her gaze off of her sister and turned to face the window. Grey clouds were rolling in, covering the sun. Summer was coming to an end and although sleep tunics were still too warm to wear; the chill of Autumn wind was creeping through the forest. She shivered a little, as another breeze came through the window. Realizing that she still stood naked in the middle of the room, she moved to retrieve her tunic that hung from a line in the middle of the room. She slipped her tunic up and over her head, and let if fall into place.

She smoothed out the wrinkles, and then grabbed her vine belt off the line, sliding it over her hips and fastening it. She pulled her long brown stockings from the line as well, and sat on the floor to pull them on. After she got finished getting dressed, she walked over to the desk that she and Amaine shared.

Shalyn pulled her birch comb out of the drawer, and ran it through her long black hair, removing any tangles that might have formed during the night. She then put the comb away and went to work, pulling her hair into a braid.

When she finished she tiptoed out of the room. The door creaked a little as it opened. Cringing, she looked back to see if it woke Amaine. Amaine rolled over in the bed and laid still.

Shalyn hurried out of the room, leaving the door open. She turned back one more time to look at her sister. Her sister slept soundly. She smiled as she thought back to when her sister was first born. "I still remember when she was born. I was only 69 at the time. She looked so peaceful and fragile at the time. I was afraid to touch her, in fear that I would break her. I loved combing her curly hair when it got long enough.

My how time has flown since I could bounce her on my knee. Now she is 40, and in ten years, she will be going through her own Findulias. There are times when I wish I was young like her; still energetic and free from serious studies. "

Another gust of wind pulled Shalyn back to reality. She walked down the small hallway that connected her room to the main room. Their room was located just down the hall from their brother's old room. He had left 20 years ago on his Artanis Meneldur, and the house seemed empty since then.

Sure, he would send letters home occasionally, with a clan member who was returning from their Artanis Meneldur, but Shalyn really missed her quirky older brother.

Now they just used the room for mother's art room, and she rarely went in there. Shalyn moved into the main room and near the kitchen.

Her eyes fell upon her parent's room, which was located on the other side of the main room. Her parents would be stirring soon to get to their jobs, but she would be quiet so they could get as much sleep as they could. She moved into the kitchen, and opened the food cupboard. She grabbed a hunk of bread that her mother made yesterday, some chaka berries and a carrot, and wrapped it up into a napkin. She then grabbed a water-skin, and then put everything into her little satchel and attached it to her belt. Her stomach growled, in a demand for food, but she ignored it. She could not eat until her shrine duties were completed today.

She walked over to the front door and sat down to pull her moccasins on. She lost herself in thought again as she pulled them on. "Oh how I miss my brother, my Desh'nerain's Lamalas bread. He always made it in the morning before we left each morning. The smell of it cooking on our small wood stove always woke me up in the morning."

Shalyn stood up after she pulled her moccasins on and walked out of the door. Immediately her senses were overloaded with the smells, sounds, and sights of the village and the forest. The smell of rain was heavy in the air. Sounds of fires crackling in the distance caught her ears. The people in the blacksmiths are already at work apparently. Shalyn thought.

Her eyes scanned around the clearing, seeing other elves heading out to their tasks. She saw her friend Ridara heading into the forest to her morning duties. Although they played together as children; But once Ridara chose the warrior path, they rarely saw each other; But that was to be expected. Their lessons kept them busy, and they spent time with the people in their own paths.

They only saw each other at festivals, or when they crossed paths briefly.

The sky crackled, and the Grey clouds now covered the sun, threatening to spill their loads at any moment. Although she enjoyed the rain, she hoped it would wait till she finished cleaning the shrine. She closed her eyes and spoke a silent prayer,

"Oh Great Mother Baelonna, You bring the blessing of life giving water today. Although I am grateful for this gift you give us, I humbly ask if you could keep the rain away until after I clean your home. "

She lowered her head, and set out towards the shrine. It was located in the deep forest, up a steep hill. The shrine stood in a clearing at the top of hill. As she reached the foot of the hill, she could hear the rush of the stream that ran down the hill.

Taking a deep breath, Shalyn set off up the hill. Although the task had originally tired her out quickly. After climbing it every day for sixty years, it had become an easy task.

When she got halfway up the hill, she decided to take a break to catch her breath. Shalyn settled on a smoothed rock by the stream. The cool surface of the rock caused her to shiver when it touched her skin. Pulling out her water-skin, she dipped the opening into the river. Once it was full, she brought it up to her lips and took a long drink.

The water was cool and crisp against her lips. It is colder than usual today. It is probably because of the weather.

With her thirst quenched, she put her water-skin back into the water to refill it; and looked at her reflection in the clear water.

Standing at only 4 feet 2 inches tall, she was one of the shortest elves in her village. This, accompanied her slender build, gave her a fragile look. However, she had enough muscle to perform her duties. Her long black hair, which was normally down to her waist, was pulled back into a braid, to keep it out of her face for when she was working.

A few strands that were too short for the braid, hung softly around her face. Her eyes were a deep brown color, and had an opal shape to them. She had a slightly long neck compared to the proportions of her body, but she never cared about it. Her eyes wandered down to her tunic. Her pale green tunic was getting worn, and had a few small rips near the bottom hem from roaming through the forest.

"Soon it would have to be replaced," she contemplated.

Her eyes and hands traveled down to her belt, her fingers moving over the swirls and twists of vines in the design; and she smiled, remembering the day she gotten it.

"My parents always told me that with my gentle nature, and knack for the healing arts; That I should become a healer. They were so proud on the day of my Findulias when I chose this path. Now in less than a year, I will be leaving on my own Artanis Meneldur. How time has......

"Hey there Shalyn, how are yah?" Koehmus said, slapping her friend on the back.

Shalyn jumped, startled because she didn't hear her friend sneak up on her while she was deep in thought. Her friend was standing behind her, smirking because she was able to scare Shalyn, something that she normally wasn't able to do. Koehmus stood about three inches taller than her, and she was a little bit more muscular. Although she had chosen the same path as Shalyn, she had to spar with her sister, Alassea, on a regular basis; because she had chosen the hunting and foraging path. The extra muscle was needed in order to carry large amounts of berries, vegetables, herbs, fish, and other forest essentials back to the village.

Koehmus's hair was also black, but she kept it cropped short, saying it was too much trouble to take care of. Her hair came only came down to her mid face, and was very straight, giving her a rough, but delicate look.

Shalyn scooped up some water and threw it at her friend, trying to wipe the smirk off her face.

"Hey what did you do that for?" Koehmus exclaimed, as the icy water hit her skin. "That is revenge for you scaring me" Shalyn said, as she threw another hand full of water. "Hey, I can't help it if you weren't paying attention, what were you thinking about anyway?" Koehmus replied, dodging the second handful of water.

"I was thinking about how my Artanis Meneldur is only a few months away." Shalyn murmured.

"Oh that's right, that is coming up, isn't it? I had forgotten that it was coming up. Can't believe you are already 110.... "

"109 only, I don't turn 110 for another three months," Shalyn interrupted.

"Right Right Right, anyway, I can't believe that that is coming up already, you don't look a day over 90. My Artanis Meneldur isn't for another 10 years." Koehmus Finished.

"You will get there. Anyway we better get going or we will be late" Shalyn stood up, brushed the bits of dirt that stuck to her, and joined her friend.

"Hey I'll race ya, last one there is an Annare" shouted Koehmus as she dashed forward, leaving her friend standing there.

"You're ON" Shalyn yelled, chasing after her friend.

* * *

Pumping her legs as fast as they would go, she still could not keep up with Koehmus. Shalyn slowed as she reached the clearing, breathing hard. Koehmus arched her eyebrow, amused by her friend's state.

"Your endurance has gotten low, spending too much time meditating eh. "

Shalyn just glared at her . Koehmus was barely winded by the run; and while waiting for her friend to catch her breath, she took a seat next to the entrance of the shrine.

"Arianai Koeh" she spat out as Shalyn joined her friend at the archway, they realized that they had arrived a little early, due to their race. They couldn't enter the shrine area until the priests and priestesses came and performed the morning rite, so they decided to relax until they arrived.

The cold stone felt good against their backs. Koehmus pulled out a water-skin, and took a deep drink from it. After she finished, she offered some to Shalyn. Shalyn looked at it and realized that she had forgotten to fill up her water-skin at the stream in her haste to catch up to Koehmus. She blushed, embarrassed for making that mistake, but then took the water-skin appreciatively and took a nice long drink.

"So..., the Autumn Passages is coming up, next week, do you want to go there early with me before the rites start?" Koehmus asked.

Shalyn pulled the water-skin from her mouth, and thought about it. The Autumn Passages, was the festival that began on the first night of the 9th moon, and continued for three days. It is to welcome the coming of fall, and to ask for Baelonna's blessing for them to gather enough food from their small fields, and the forest to survive the coming cold months. It is also the time when children who reached the age of 50 during the summer, to go through their Findulias rites, and choose the area they wanted to study until they came of age at 110.

"I think I can go early" Shalyn responded hesitantly,

"But isn't your Desh'nerain, Elinar, going through his Findulias during the Passages? Shouldn't you stay home and help your family prepare?"

"Nah, my older sister is helping with my Desh'nerain, and my parents don't want too many people in the house. They don't want anyone influencing her at the last moment," Koehmus said off handedly.

"I guess that makes sense, alright I will go with you early. Right after we finish our chores here that day; we will set out for the festival" answered Shalyn. "Okay" said Koehmus.

The girls saw the head priests and priestesses coming up the path, and knew it was time for the morning rite. They ended their conversation, stood from their seated position, and joined the lines in their respective places. Although they were not full priests and priestesses, they still participated in daily rites, and were occasionally asked to help with the special rites performed at festivals. With the priests and priestesses, they formed a circle in front of the archway. The lead priest and priestess started to sing the familiar tune.

Gieran, Kieran

Lenae Senecar Keth'enai, to ma na'ei!

E' Galahad Terestai

E' K"eth, , Glora, Gwai

Lenae Senecar Kimen Yahae

Desh'mieve Harani A'kaheyla de'shanuay"

Teshmeeat, Tihr a' Lahn

Soto-Car Laena Sa

Saikatar Rolyn Sanar

.Katamah, Katamah

Desh'mieve Des'tai Den'shrai

Shalyn always loved listening to them sing; as their voices matched in perfect harmony, sounded sweet in her ears. They sang this same verse over and over, as the other priests and priestesses slowly joined in according to their rank in the priesthood. Since she, Koehmus, and the other young trainees did not have an official standing within the order, they were the last to join in. However, the trainees had an order as well, which was based on age. The youngest was always the last to join. Shalyn let her voice join in when it was her time, she listened to Feramil join hers. Feramil was a young male trainee who joined the ranks 6 months after her. Even though Feramil was younger, he already stood five inches over her, and he still had another year or so to grow. He was not as muscular as many of the other men in their village, but he was not a weakling by any means. Feramil, was handsome with his slightly disheveled hair style.

His brown tunic fit snuggly over his wide shoulders in a way that accentuated them. He also had a good sense of humor, and very gentle hearted. She smiled at him as she closed her eyes to enjoy the song.

Koehmus, Feramil, and she were all friends, and considered the senior members of the trainee group, as they were the oldest. They were responsible for helping the younger acolytes with their duties and studies. When she left on her Artanis, Tele would probably replace her. Shalyn heard Cirne, the youngest member, join her voice in, and knew that the rite was ready to begin. She felt the forest come alive. The sounds of the birds, the rushing water in the stream, and the wind rustling through the trees, became more vibrant. She could smell the oncoming rain and the smell of the grass. She felt the ground vibrate, as though the sound from the strength of their combined voices created the earth heartbeat. A strong wind blew underneath, and she felt the power of the earth and the mother fill her body.

It was an overwhelming experience, and her body started to tremble from all the power that was in her. Koehmus and Feramil felt her trembling through their grasped hands, and looked at her. They saw her face was very pale, and as though she might pass out. They didn't say anything, because they couldn't. They squeezed her hands and just kept singing.

They sang for a few more minutes before the head priestess raised her hands over her head, silencing all of their voices. The forest seemed too quiet as well, as she raised her hands.

"Great Mother Baelonna, we are happy to awake to another beautiful day. You give us the sun to warm our souls and help us grow our food. In your sky, you bring clouds full of water to replenish the streams in your body, and in ours. We ask for you to keep us safe and healthy throughout this day so we can complete our tasks."

The head priestess completed the prayer and lowered her hands. As her hands lowered, all of their voices joined the choir again, and began to sing the ending song of the morning rite. This time however, it went in reverse;

The youngest would exit first and continue until the head priest and priestess were left. The earth's power left Shalyn as soon as the song stopped, and she opened her eyes. All the acolytes and Shrine priests dismissed them to their tasks. Those without tasks this day were to study the scriptures. Slowly the circle of priests, priestesses, and acolytes started to disperse. Shalyn stood there for a moment longer, just enjoying the sounds she heard.

Shalyn felt disoriented from the power that had entered her during the morning ritual. She shook her head to try to collect herself when someone bumped into her, and in her weakened state, it caused her to fall to the ground. Her eyes traveled upwards, to see who bumped into her, and her eyes transfixed on Feramil.

His face was red in embarrassment for knocking his friend to the ground, and his eyes were full of concern, because she was still fairly pale. Shalyn blushed in embarrassment from being knocked onto the ground so easily. She took Feramil's hand and he helped her to a standing position. She brushed some dirt from her tunic and legs as she scanned her body for injuries. When she was finished, she looked at Feramil. He still looked worryingly at her, but could not say anything. Shalyn smiled at Feramil, and nodded that she was okay. She also turned to Koehmus and nodded to tell her she was okay. They could not voice their concern for one another, as they must remain silent after the morning rite was performed. They were only allowed to speak again after their tasks were finished. This helped them to utilize other forms of communication, and to teach discipline. This also allowed them to reflect and meditate in peace. As Shalyn walked away from her two friends, they looked at each other with worried looks, concerned about what had happened to their friend during the morning ritual.

Shalyn walked up the winding path to the main shrine. It was set back up on a hill in the middle of the Sacred Tree Grove. The grove consisted of a ring of trees that were as old as anyone could remember. They stood tall and their trunks where wide. There were more trees on the outside of the ring that the children of the main circle was, and were part of the grove; but they were not considered as important as the main trees. In the center of the circle of trees was a natural clearing that held a spring that was feed by underground waters.

12