Shattered Dreams Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Mygypsy
Mygypsy
1,329 Followers

Adam watched Robby hold his sister as she cried. He kept patting her back gently and when she spoke declaring it wasn't fair he just kept repeating, 'I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know'

Finally Robby found that Janey had stopped crying and he gently eased her away from him and when he saw how shaky she was he urged her to sit down.

"What was Janey doing at the station today?" Robby demanded of Adam when he looked at him.

"Janey managed to use a taxi to travel there from counselling by herself," Adam said levelly.

"Did you?" Robby asked brightly with surprise and pride in his sister.

Janey nodded and looked up at her brother. She longed to ask him all the questions that Adam had not answered to her satisfaction but knew that to ask him would only make him angry.

"She didn't know they were coming in?" Robby asked of Adam.

Resenting the way her brother was talking as if she wasn't in the room Janey got to her feet and stood facing her brother.

"You think you know what's best but you really have no clue!" She spat angrily then turned and walked into the bedroom shutting the door after her. In the room she could hear the muffled voices in the next room so she put the radio on and lay down on the bed. The emotional stress of the events of the day caught up with Janey and she closed her eyes exhaustedly.

As sleep claimed her the soft husky tones surfaced from her memories and green eyes smiled at her as she glanced his way nervously. Janey slipped into the calm dark waters of sleep. Dark menacing forms flickered at the edge of her mind but the memory of that voice and those eyes told her she was safe.

Out in the kitchen Adam watched Robby as he ran a large hand over his face; Robby turned to look at him and shook his head. "Have you told her that they are pleading not guilty yet?" Robby asked quietly.

"No, and I have no intention of telling her until she simply HAS to be told. It is going to absolutely shatter what confidence she has rebuilt for herself," Adam said thickly.

Robby glanced towards the door that led into the bedroom and frowned with worry, "Surely the medical reports will back up what she claims happened."

"The medical reports will hold a lot of sway but if it comes down to a battle in court I don't know if she will have the strength to face them. Well at least with those two handing themselves in today the entire process can start to get moving, it will all move together not drawn out over a period of time with the different defendants," Adam said.

"Why the hell did they come up here to Brisbane to hand themselves in? Weren't they down on the New South Wales and Victoria border when their solicitor contacted detectives in New South Wales?" Robby asked.

"It doesn't matter now; the damage has been done. Janey went to pieces at the station, absolutely freaked out." Adam said. He refrained from telling Robby how she had been unable to understand or accept why they had been being arrested.

"If only the missing persons unit had listened to our family when we tried to tell them that Janey would never have ran away!" Robby exploded angrily.

A soft frightened cry sounded from the bedroom and Adam hurried to the door to open it. He looked into the room and by the light of the bedside lamp he could see Janey tossing fretfully on the bed under a light rug.

"Janey, Janey. You're safe now, you're safe," Adam said softly as he walked into the room and sat on the edge of the bed. He continued to talk to her softly as he reached out and stroked her shoulder. He felt her shudder in her sleep and then slowly settle down at the sound of his voice and his gentle touch.

Robby watched from the doorway and wondered how long it would take before Janey stopped having the nightmares he knew plagued her. Probably years, he admitted to himself as he turned away unhappily. It hurt him deeply to see his once fearless little sister tremble at every shadow and jump at the slightest sound.

"I'd better go Adam. I have to go in to work in half an hour," Robby said.

Adam got to his feet and glanced down at Janey where she slept with only the slightest of tremors. "I'll lock up as you leave," he said and followed Robby to the front door.

Mygypsy
Mygypsy
1,329 Followers
12