Silence Ch. 01-03

Story Info
Do you need words to speak the language of love?
5.1k words
4.82
6.8k
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter 1

Kyna kept a close eye on Maggie as the girl huddled in the frame of the kitchen door way. The older innkeeper brushed a wisp of silver hair away from her face before she began chopping meat for the evening stew. The loud sounds of the inn assaulted her ears. Her blue eyes constantly shifted over to Maggie. She knew Maggie was scanning the crowd and tables. It was only the afternoon rush, but it was still enough of a crowd to keep the kitchen staff busy. Working as part of kitchen crew, Kyna had taught Maggie that the tables were to never be empty of food and the mugs constantly full of ale. Maggie was responsible for watching the other serving wenches move around the room. They would give the girl small signals of when certain items were needed. When Shayla motioned for more ale by holding up her pitcher, Maggie turned back into the kitchen. She filled another pitcher from the cask standing in the corner. Just as she finished, Shayla appeared and grabbed it briskly from her hands. The serving wenches never really cared for Maggie; then again, Kyna knew the Maggie avoided the serving wenches as much as possible in between the different meals. Too many nights watching the floor had given Maggie an education about what could happen in the main gathering room. Yes, Kyna knew what happened in the dark corners and why her girls returned to the kitchen looking disheveled. The smell of sex lingered on them as they came to pick up new trays or pitchers. That wasn't her Maggie. Maggie was not allowed out into that heated cattle call. The doorway was as far as Kyna could bring herself or Maggie to go.

Kyna looked up from Maggie's position back to the butchering table. There were times that Kyna could still see the small, twelve year old girl, not the woman of 19 years in front of her. The girl was strong, being able to handle the various heavy loads of food and ale that were brought into the kitchen each day with no complaints. She was also smart, easily calculating money and tabs for the serving wenches. She had a talent for cooking that Kyna had never seen before and a knack for avoiding trouble with all people. While the girl could hold her ground in a fight, she never went looking for trouble.

Kyna's mind flashed to the day Maggie had been brought to her. The poor, emaciated girl had a dirty face gaunt with hunger. The clothes she wore barely hung on her small frame. She kept her head low. Even when the tiny girl did attempt to make eye contact, it brought a swift smack from the mother. The girl, in obvious pain, would flinch and take the blow. Never did she cry. Kyna stood in the doorway of the inn with her arms crossed, listening to the wretched woman explain the family's dire need of money. They had decided to sell the girl to the highest bidder. The parents explained that the girl was stupid; she couldn't even talk. For Kyna, the idea of buying a mute girl to work in her inn was not of interest to her. However, when Kyna was told the girl was going to be walked down to the brothel on the corner after the parents' stop at Kyna's inn, the older woman felt a sense of instinctual protection.

Kyna knew what it was like to walk into the doors of a brothel at a young age, losing her innocence to a drunken, sweaty slob. She wasn't about to let that happen to another poor girl. Without another thought, she gave the parents their asking price. They wandered away, counting the money between them. Kyna's heart broke as she watched the girl reach for her parents, but unable to call to them. Kyna took her by the hand and brought the sad girl into the kitchen. It was about a week later that Kyna heard the locals discussing the dead couple who were found in the alley but two blocks away. It appeared they had died from starvation and other possible nefarious means.

For many days, Maggie simply remained in the corner, standing very still as she watched the comings and goings within the kitchen. Kyna did have to wonder if the girl had a single thought of sense in her brain. However, that changed when Kyna pulled her into the daily happenings with the other workers. She taught the girl how to make various types of foods and breads. As time passed, she showed her how to count and read. As the girl grew stronger and bolder, it became quite evident that she had quite a head on her shoulders. There was nothing stupid about her at all. The best part was that Kyna felt like she had found a daughter of sorts. Every time she thought of the girl's dead parents, it resulted in another hug for Maggie. Sure, Maggie would only smile and nod, patting the innkeeper's arm or hand as if to say she understood.

Ultimately, Maggie had become one of her best workers. To get around Maggie's inability to speak, they had come up with a series of hand gestures to help her become more efficient in the kitchen and while cleaning the main gathering floor. That was over seven years ago. Now, Maggie was a grown woman. Kyna had been offered a pretty asking price by many men in regards to the girl's virginity; however, she would simply smile and shoo the men away. Maggie was quite the beauty that men stopped to admire. Her raven black hair shined and her silver gray eyes always seemed to be smiling. The girl's face gave away every one of her emotions. She was well endowed with a womanly figure, breasts that were accentuated over her corset and hips that gently flared beneath it. Maggie's life, whatever it was meant to be, wasn't for sale. It would be the girl's decision who could have her maidenhead. Thought Kyna was very much her mother, she had no right to take a single coin for what truly belonged to the girl.

To keep further temptation and trouble out of the girl's way, Kyna had instituted the rule about going no further than the kitchen door. The nights on the gathering floor could be hectic for any woman. Many drunken men, roaming hands, and propositions of sexual desire were rampant. Kyna did not want Maggie to have any additional trouble that came with the main gathering floor of the inn. It was best to keep the girl in the kitchen out of harm's way. Kyna let out a low whistle, and Maggie turned her head to gaze back at the older woman.

"Maggie, come help me with this stew."

Maggie nodded and moved back to the table. Kyna pushed a pile of vegetables in front of the girl. Maggie deftly used a large butcher's knife to peel away skins and chop the items into smaller pieces. It wasn't long until everything was done. Maggie looked up with a smile, proud of her work. Kyna caught the small hand gesture Maggie made close to the table. Kyna nodded, and Maggie all but ran to the spice shelves. Over the years, Maggie had developed a few hand gestures to help herself communicate with a few select people. Kyna, her adoptive mother, was one of them. Fergus, on of the other kitchen helpers and Maggie's best friend, was the other. All three agreed that it would be best to keep the gestures to themselves, so they were only used when others weren't watching or were less likely to notice.

Maggie danced in front of the spice rack, pull out bottles and small jars. She was always looking for new flavor combinations to add to the food. Actually, Maggie had quite the palate. Her knack for picking unique and flavorful combinations of herbs and spices had drawn quite a crowd for all of the meals served at the inn. Many of the patrons commented on the excellence of Kyna's food. The innkeeper would take the compliment with a "thank you," but it was always Maggie who earned a huge hug after each of the meals. Maggie returned to Kyna's side by the pot, putting pinches of this and that into the mixture. Kyna simply nodded with each addition. With all of the elements added, Maggie returned all of the bottles and jars to their correct stations within the kitchen's spice rack.

Maggie knocked on the spice shelf twice, and Kyna looked up from the pot. Maggie motioned that she would be right back. Kyna nodded and continued stirring the meat and vegetables within the pot. When Maggie returned to the kitchen, she had a huge smile on her face. Her arms were covered with dirt and her hands were behind her back.

"What do you have now, girl?" she asked as she stopped stirring the pot. Kyna loved the mischievous look the girl would get when she had a good idea or was particularly excited about a new culinary find.

Maggie brought her hands forward, showing a batch of wild onions and parsley. Her smile about the rare find was infectious. Kyna let out a small chuckle.

"You must have found the growing patch this morning," Kyna commented. Maggie nodded and made her way back to the cutting board. She made quick work of the onions and herb. Gathering all of the elements into her cupped hands, she brought the load over to the pot and dumped it in. Kyna stirred the pot. The smell of the onion and parsley already were already adding a savory perfume to the air. Maggie gave the innkeeper a quick hug and returned to her position by the door. Kyna dipped her spoon into the stew pot and brought out a ladle of broth. She tentatively tasted the hot broth. A small exhale of enjoyment left Kyna's lips, denoting the deliciousness she had just consumed. That was the sound that really made Maggie smile.

Shayla busted past Maggie in the door frame. Maggie had to catch herself in order to keep from falling.

"Kyna, both Sheila and Mary have disappeared. I can't handle the floor on my own," Shayla yelled. She actually stopped to adjust her bosom so more cleavage would show before grabbing another serving tray full of breads and cheeses. She propped it up on her shoulder and muscled her way through the kitchen door. Maggie made it a point to move out of the surly woman's way.

Kyna's head swiveled, looking around the kitchen to see what other help would be available. That was when Maggie stepped in front of her gaze. The girl was actually smiling and pointing to herself.

"No! I told you that you aren't allowed on the floor," Kyna scrubbed her hands with her apron. She felt agitated that two of her servers would disappear off of the floor. Granted, it wasn't the evening shift as of yet, but there were still patrons to be served. Maggie grabbed one of her hands and nodded. Kyna pulled her hand back and shook her head.

"I told you no, girl. Now, get back to . . ."

Before Kyna could say anything else, a serving pitcher appeared in Maggie's hands. She had scooted through the door and was already out on the serving floor. Kyna scrambled to the door way. Her eyes scanned the room for impending trouble that Maggie might encounter. Thankfully, the people who were on the main floor were locals. Many of them already knew who Maggie was and would leave her be. As for the others, hopefully Maggie paid attention to all of their talks about how to handle men that were to aggressive.

Kyna felt herself shaking, but it wasn't from any sense of cold. There was just this feeling that something was coming, and wicked it would be. She took a deep breath and focused on the beating of her heart. The slow thumping sound provided the beat that she needed in order to focus on her special talent. Her vision clouded slightly, but new images came before her eyes. She saw Maggie, and there were two men. One was on either side of her. Both men held roses in these hands, but the man on the left was plucking the petals from his flower. The man on the right was quiet and unmoving. Kyna couldn't tell which man felt more menacing. Kyna's eyes cleared. Men were coming for Maggie; it was just a matter of time as to when they arrived.

Chapter 2

My heart is pounding!

Maggie moved through the room, walking the aisles between the various tables and benches. A sense of fear, anticipation, and excitement was boiling under her skin. Many of the people seated were people that she knew from various dealings in the markets around town. They would smile and nod. She made it a point to fill their cups and return the same gesture.

So far so good.

The swish of a skirt caught her eye. Maggie made it look like she was busy, wiping a table. It gave her a chance to listen to conversations as well as see what was going on. The skirt had been Shayla. She was attending to a table of rowdy men. She had actually taken up residence on one man's lap. The man was leaning back against a post with his eyes closed. Maggie jumped when she heard Shayla begin to moan loudly. Afraid the men were hurting her, Maggie quickly made her way over to the table. She tugged on Shayla's sleeve, but the woman had her head back, still moaning.

Maybe a harder tug!

Pulling harder on the sleeve, Shayla finally opened her eyes. Her face was flushed and a blush of red had reached down her chest to her breasts. Maggie tried to give Shayla a look that would ask if the woman was okay, but it wasn't coming out right.

"Fuck boys, we have another play thing!" one man yelled as he snatched the back of Maggie's skirt. He yanked her backwards until she fell clumsily into his lap. Scrambling she tried to right herself, but the man kept pulling her closer. It was then that she felt him slid his hand into the front of her corset. Maggie could smell the staleness of his breath and she knew the man has not bathed in days. He reeked of horse and manure. An automatic gag reflex threatened her throat as she struggled to get away from the man's hands.

Let me go!

Another one of the men at the table grabbed the hem of her skirts and began to pull them up. He grinned at Maggie with a mouth of half-rotted teeth. A scar ran the length of his face, splitting his bottom lip in a ragged mess of tissue. He was licking his lips as he continued to lift Maggie's skirts. Maggie's eyes flashed over to Shayla for some kind of help. The woman was still bouncing on the man's lap, but she was now chanting, "Fuck her!"

Maggie lashed out with a leg, landing a kick to the Licker's jaw. He howled and staggered backwards. Horse Man took that as he cue to get his hand under the skirts now. Maggie gulped in air as she fought against his grip. The hand that was in her corset was now wrapped around her neck. She reached backwards and dug her fingernails into the side of horse man's face. He let out a loud yelp and loosened his grip. It was enough room for Maggie to lean forward and grab one of the metal mugs from the table. She scrambled out of the man's lap and swung the mug at his head. Making contact, there was a loud crunching sound, and Horse Man twisted sideways and fell from the chair.

Before Maggie could relish her victory, hands grabbed her arms, pulling them behind her back. Licker had rejoined the struggle and was determined to get one of his hands beneath her skirt. Maggie stomped on his foot and reached back with her hand. When she felt the fabric of his pants, she dug in and grabbed as hard as she could. Licker let out quite a girly squeal as he tried to push Maggie away from him. Instead, Maggie swung around, so she could face Licker. She pulled and yanked harder, hearing the man grind his teeth and beg for some mercy.

A laugh caught Maggie's attention, and she raised her head. Connall Broin, head of his clan, was standing about three feet away. Mixed with his laughter came a battle cry from the kitchen. Kyna came bounding out of the kitchen, wielding her largest butcher knife. As Kyna made it to the area, Connall grabbed her around the waist, holding the small innkeeper at bay.

"I think the girl has the situation handled," Connall chuckled.

Kyna stopped squirming long enough to see that Maggie had a strong hold of her attacker's privates. The small woman swatted as Connall; he released her. Kyna marched over to Licker's face. Her eyes lit up with anger and protective instinct as she leaned in to get nose to nose with him.

"Listen here little man, you are no longer welcome in my inn. The next time you step foot in my door way, I will chop off what she is holding!" Kyna's voice got louder and louder with each syllable. To emphasize her point, she buried the butcher knife in the wooden table. Kyna nudged Maggie, and Maggie let go of the man. Licker collapsed to the floor with his hands covering his groin.

"You best get moving," Connall mentioned as he pushed the man with the toe of his boot. He also turned to the other men who had been sitting at the table. "You should be moving on as well." They all began to scramble out of their chairs, making it a point to keep their distance from both Connall and Kyna. Shayla was unceremoniously dumped on the floor as her acquaintance tucked his cock back in his pants and made his way to the door as well.

"Shayla, get back to work!" Kyna pointed and yelled. The other patrons put their heads down and talked in hushed tones. Kyna grabbed Maggie by the elbow and pushed her towards the kitchen. After getting through the doorway, she became a mother hen, running her hands over Maggie to see that nothing was truly hurt or broken. She turned the girl this way and that to see what damage hand been done. Maggie tried to push Kyna's motherly hands away, but the woman would not stop until she was satisfied. She could hear Kyna muttering under her breath about this being the reason she didn't want Maggie out on the main floor.

Maggie felt numb. The events of the past couple minutes had not quite registered in her brain. She was having a hard time remembering everything that had happened. Sweat was dripping from her forehead, and she couldn't help the shaking that had taken over her arms and legs. When Kyna was satisfied that nothing was completely wrong with the girl, she put her hands on her hips. The glare from her eyes made Maggie drop her head in shame. Just as Kyna was ready to open her mouth to admonish Maggie, Connall pushed the innkeeper away.

"Go get Fergus from the blacksmith," he spoke softly. Kyna nodded her head and left the kitchen wringing her hands. He then grabbed a stool and pushed it behind Maggie. Placing his hands on both of her arms, he used both of his hands to gently lower her into a sitting position on the stool. A mug of ale appeared in front of her face; Maggie gladly grabbed for it with both hands. She held it to her mouth, letting the ale inside of it slip down her throat. It warmed her, easing the shaking in her limbs. After downing half of its contents, she lowered it enough to look over the lip at the man who was still standing in front of her. She had seen him before on nights when the various clan leaders met to discuss problems or celebrations. He was the quiet one who hardly ever shouted, more like the voice of reason when everyone was arguing or fighting. He wasn't as rowdy as the others; Maggie had never seen him keep company with the serving wenches in the shadows of the inn, nor had she had never seen him throwing a woman over his shoulder and carrying her upstairs to his room. Honestly, Maggie had never really paid that much attention to him when he was on the main gathering floor. Her eyes scanned for trouble and problems, not a quiet man who simply ate and drank with his men.

"You are Maggie?" he asked as he moved to the stew pot hanging over the fire. His strides were smooth and certain. He looked nothing like the scoundrels that attacked her. Instead of being dirty and foul smelling, he appeared bathed and dressed in a clean tunic and trousers. His boots had some mud on them, but that was to be expected. He dipped the stirring spoon into the mixture and bent to taste was had been cooking. A small moan of delight escaped his lips. Maggie tipped the cup up and continued consuming the rest of the ale. When she dropped the cup, she found Connall was scooping some of the stew into a bowl.

That's not done yet!

Kyna came swinging around the corner with Fergus in tow. Fergus jogged over to Maggie, making it a point to put his back to Connall and Kyna. He quickly started making gestures in front of Maggie. Maggie could see how frantic he was. He was using the wrong gestures for the wrong words. She reached out and put her hand on his forearm. That caring gesture seemed to calm Fergus' nerves, so he could focus on actually holding a conversation with her.

12