Sister Golden Hair Delight Ch. 02

Story Info
Meet the New Boss.
4k words
4.58
31.2k
11

Part 2 of the 42 part series

Updated 11/01/2022
Created 11/21/2010
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter 2: Meet the New Boss-

All rights reserved, copyright 2010

About ten or so minutes later phone started ringing. You know how you're waiting for the phone to ring and then when it does it makes you jump? That's what happened to me. I felt so stupid.

"Sedgley, Hills, Smith and Sales. Kaylyn Trent speaking. How may I help you?"

"Wonderful, just the person I looking for. This is Jim Crowell."

"Yes, sir. How may I help you sir? Did you forget something?"

This guy didn't waste time, I'll give him that.

"Miss Trent, I know this is going to sound pretentious but would you like to have lunch with me?"

I thought I'd see how far he would go and didn't want to look too easy, at least on the first date... I mean, even with all the teasing and flirting I've done, I'm still a... ahh, you know.

"Well," I said trying to sound innocent, "I'm not sure... I mean, you're a client with us and I really don't know you, sir."

"Please, ask Kevin if it's all right. I'll wait."

I put the phone down and knocked on Kevin's door.

"Yes?"

I opened the door and walked in.

"Mr. Sales? Mr. Crowell is on the phone; he wants to take me to lunch."

"How do you feel about that? Would you be comfortable going with him?"

I'll say this for him; he was considerate of my feelings.

"Well, he's always been polite when he's been here. You seem to like him."

"He's one of the greatest guys I know. Really... Kay, go with him, have a good time. It'll be fun, just you see. You won't be sorry, trust me."

How am I going to turn that down... besides, I knew for a fact that Crowell was seriously rich. Just because I'm typing something doesn't mean I'm not also reading it.

"All right, if you're sure."

I got up and walked back to my desk.

"Hello? Mr. Crowell? I can be ready in ten minutes or so if that's all right?"

"Great, I'll come up and get you."

"No, that's OK; I'll come down, that way you don't have to make another trip."

As I walked into the ladies' room, I hoped that what I was doing was the right thing. For all I knew he might have been a secret axe murderer like on television just waiting for a stupid girl like me to come along. If I disappeared not even Kevin would wonder where I went.

I hoped I wasn't going to be floating out in the bay later tonight, food for those sharks I had swimming around in my mind.

I checked myself in the mirror, taking the time to fluff out my hair even more, adjust my 'granny' glasses and put on my high heels.

I shoved my office flats into my large purse.

My heart was racing. I realized I was going to a lot of trouble for what was probably going to be a one-time date if he didn't think I was good enough to bring with him back to Los Angeles. I'm smart enough to do whatever he would want but some men, especially men like him, wanted to have some hot girl on their arm... or in their bed, for that matter.

Well, he is kinda cute, I thought to myself, and it was a free lunch.

Waving goodbye to Kevin, I took the elevator down to the main floor. As the doors opened, I saw him standing in the lobby.

I tried to work a little shimmy into my walk as I approached him and gave him my best smile.

"Miss Trent, you look fabulous."

I thought that was funny since he saw me less than fifteen minutes ago but thanked him just the same.

"I hope you are hungry..."

"Mr. Crowell..."

"Call me Jim."

"OK, but then you must call me Kaylyn. I'll appreciate wherever you would like to go. I think Mr. Sales is trying to play matchmaker or something. I hope you don't mind."

"If I may, why on earth would I mind? I find you utterly fascinating... and, incredibly beautiful."

I always thought I wouldn't break a mirror by looking at it but never actually considered myself beautiful. That always seemed to be reserved for the other girls... never for me as much as I tried. I guess that's why I was such a flirt. On the other hand, I never thought flirting would get me in trouble but what did I know?

I could see that lunch might be a lot of fun after all.

We walked out of the building to his cab. After we got in, he told the cabbie to take us to Alioto's. The drive there was quiet, for though we were adults, it seemed a little awkward and I think we both felt like teenagers on a first date. I actually liked that... it showed me he wasn't a player but from what I knew and overheard it should have been obvious.

We finally arrived at the Embarcadero after a mercifully short ride. He amazed me by giving the driver five twenties.

Jim checked his watch and then said, "We still have about fifteen minutes. Would you like to go for a little walk? Have you ever seen the submarine over there?"

Most people, at least those with some amount of intelligence living in San Francisco, knew about the USS Pampanito, a WWII submarine restored in memory of all the Navy submariners that didn't come back.

I don't actually know when he took my hand but there you go.

He walked with me over to the boat. All submarines are boats... don't ask, I don't get it, either.

For the next few minutes, Jim told me chapter and verse about the ship but at some point, he must have realized that he might be boring me so he became silent.

I looked at him quizzically, my eyes asking him why he stopped.

"I'm sorry," he said. "I'm probably boring you to death. Let's go eat."

"Jim... you forgot to tell me about the USS Gato."

He looked at me, astonished. "You know about the Gato?"

"My grandfather and father were in the Navy..." I smiled my best smile trying to save the situation for him. I didn't want him to feel like a fool... not with everything I knew about him.

"That's really cool," he said and we walked into the restaurant.

"Reservation for Crowell."

"Please come this way."

I wished these gay guys wouldn't walk around better than I did. It seemed an assault on whatever I had left.

We were seated at a very nice table on the water. The tang of the salt-water filled my lungs finally replaced the circulated air of the office building. I think the building's air dries you out and you're breathing everyone else's air.

The waiter came over and went through his introductory speech. I learned that his name was Peter and the special of the day was some fish I never heard of.

I looked over the menu but was at a loss. Jim's presence was starting to affect me strangely. It was as if a schoolgirl infatuation had descended into my soul and refused to leave.

Was I reacting to his 'alpha' presence or was I that lonely?

"What would you like to have?"

I looked up from the menu, so different from the little neighborhood place I was able to go to occasionally. I figured he must think I'm a fool, not knowing how to order from a menu and all.

"Would you please order for me?" Even in this day of liberated women, men like to take the lead... when we let them, of course.

"Kaylyn, may I suggest the halibut. I was here a year ago and it was delicious and Kevin said that it's still very good."

"Thank you... whatever you'd like."

He turned his attention to the waiter.

"We'll have the halibut, baked potato, chopped salad with blue cheese, lots of sourdough and butter, iced teas."

Jim looked at me to see if that was acceptable.

I nodded my head and tried to get my head back into the game. Looking at him was distracting... I didn't understand why I was feeling the way I did and it confused me.

After the waiter left, Jim turned to me and asked, "How long have you worked with Kevin? It looks like a strenuous mental job."

"It's not so bad once you understand what you are doing. There's the usual... filing, transcribing, dictation, once in a while he lets me do a brief and then tells me what's good or bad with it.

I'd like to get a law degree someday but right now, I don't have the money or time for it.

As for working with Kevin... A little over five years now.

Before that, I was in the general secretarial pool.

Being with one person is better because each of the senior partners had... well, 'different' expectations than what I had when I applied at the firm but times are tough so I can't find another job right now."

"I can't imagine how very uncomfortable and degrading it must have been for you."

"I take it you spoke with Kevin about that?"

"Actually, he spoke to me about it. He likes you very much and wants to find a better situation for you. Except for him, the law firm has foolishly decided to overlook your qualities and talents.

I had no idea that these things were going on. If it weren't for Kevin, I would change firms immediately. I'm going to talk to him about moving down to Los Angeles with me.

Would that about sum it up?"

I hesitated but decided I had nothing to lose by trying to downplay the situation. If this was a job interview, a career making decision, I might as well go for it.

"I'm afraid so... but..."

"Kaylyn, in this situation today, right now, there are no 'buts'... please, tell me about yourself... go for it."

I looked at him warily, not sure how to proceed but my desperation to leave San Francisco forced aside my hesitation. I decided to tell him everything, no matter how it might sound.

"My mother was a very unhappy person; today, I guess you'd say she was probably manic-depressive; I'm not sure she ever loved me but I would like to think she did. I was a reminder of everything she had lost.

She attempted to control my life and when I grew older, it was a source of grief for both of us. She never hit me or anything like that but there was always that feeling of being under a microscope.

I wasn't allowed to date although all my friends did. When both my cousins became pregnant at fifteen and the boys left them, she looked at it as justification for how she treated me. My life was miserable.

She constantly told me that boys were nothing but a source of unhappiness whether they actually loved you or not.

She was fighting a demon from the past and I could do nothing to help her.

She never had anything nice to say about the way I dressed although I thought it was conservative."

If only she could see me, now!

"I found out later that she had been in love with a Navy flier from Alameda. He was white and she had to hide the relationship from her family; even in the 80s it just wasn't done back then... at least, not in our family.

People sometimes forget that racism floats both ways.

He was killed before she could tell him she was pregnant and she was terrified they were going to throw her out of the house.

Her minister took pity and introduced her to an older man, a good man who married her before anyone could tell she was carrying someone else's child. He always treated her well.

I think she cared for and appreciated him but I don't think she ever loved him as deeply as she should have."

I stopped, wondering how he was taking all this. He just looked back at me and motioned me to continue.

I stalled by eating some of the sourdough bread. I buttered it too much but I didn't care.

I hoped that my answers weren't going to destroy my chances with him but in for a penny, in for a pound so what the hell...

"One day, I came home from the library and found them both murdered.

Once I got over the shock, I was relieved that I was on my own at last, as if a great weight had been lifted. Does that make me a bad person? I don't know. I hope not.

I only know that I could finally do what I wanted.

But... my mother had controlled my life for so long that I was lost.

I miss my dad; he was a good man.

The police told me later that it was a damn drug addict looking for money and he had been killed during another burglary by the homeowner's dog. The dog tore him up. Served him right, I suppose."

Fortunately, the food arrived then. As we ate the fish, he asked other questions... mostly about my education at Berkeley.

I told him about how the other office women treated me like I was the office whore. They believed I was sleeping around with the partners.

"When they thought I couldn't hear them, they called me the 'skinny whore'... that was as nice as it got."

Jim put his fork down and looked at me.

"I don't think you are."

"What?" I asked, trying to smile. "Skinny or a whore?"

"Neither one. I think you're beautiful."

"No, I'm not," I protested.

Whatever he was drinking, I wanted to buy a big bottle of it.

"Yes, you are," he insisted as he reached across the table and covered my hand with his.

I felt like I died and went to heaven.

I decided to let him have his way. After all, he was the client.

He sat quietly while I continued with my life's story.

"I really felt worthless, then and was going to quit when Kevin took me under his wing. He treated me like a daughter. He respected me and cared for me."

...when he wasn't checking out my ass.

The waiter came back and asked about dessert. Jim smiled and asked me what I would like and I asked for a hot fudge sundae. I don't know what I was thinking... ice cream like that would kill my wardrobe.

Fortunately, the waiter said they didn't have it on the menu but suggested we go over to Ghiradelli's across the way.

"Oh, well, it wasn't that important, anyway. I don't get to have one that often. San Francisco is an expensive town to live in."

Yeah, that's true but ice cream would add pounds so fast... but, it was SO good.

We sat there talking. He told me about his childhood, how his parents were killed in a car accident when he was about five years old and he had to live with an older cousin.

She didn't know what to do with a small boy and had her own young life to live so he pretty much raised himself reading books from the library.

Jim talked about his fiancé who died and how it had almost destroyed him.

I could tell he was going south with the conversation and tried to change the subject as quickly as I could.

"Why do you give people one hundred dollars?"

"Originally, it was because I needed small change for things like ice cream and pizza by the piece but then I decided it was a nice thing to do. Kind of silly, I suppose."

He smiled at me, looking for some kind of approval, I guess.

"Oh, God, no... I think it's a very nice thing to do."

"Look, Miss Kaylyn, I don't have a lot of time so I'll be very blunt. This may sound crazy but I really can't bear for you to spend the rest of your life, let alone another day, in a situation that is headed nowhere for you but downhill into misery or at least what I think would be misery for you.

Kevin told me he already moved your work to another secretary when I told him last week I was coming up from L.A.

As far as he's concerned, you're no longer working for him or the firm... unless you decide that you really want to go back although he can't understand why you would want to."

Well, I guess that explained why there hasn't been much of anything this week and why he told Jim not to bring me back.

"Why did you call me, 'Miss Kaylyn'?

"Well, uhh... you see, that's how I see you... a wonderful, intelligent, incredibly pretty lady I would be proud to know in any manner you would allow, one worthy of my and everyone else's respect.

It just seems right for you."

"Thank you," I said. "No one's ever said something as nice to me as that. But, please don't lie to me. I've looked in the mirror. I know what I look like.

I'm plain... I'm just me."

I wasn't really lying about how I felt about myself. I wasn't drop dead gorgeous like so many other women. In fact, I worked hard to just look like I did and I knew it had a lot to be desired. But, if he thought I was pretty that was good enough for me.

"Don't say that. Look, with you, I... I don't know how this is going to sound but I value your intelligence, your honesty, your humor, your comportment. I like the way your amber eyes flash today when you seem to be happy... that's it, your laughing eyes.

Maybe not to you or even anyone else but to me you're pretty, very pretty, unbelievably pretty. I like the whole you. You're someone I would like to be with, to work with. And... please, don't laugh but I think your hair is smokin' hot and your face enchanting...

You're the first woman I've a social lunch or dinner with since Miriam died.

I spend a good amount of time with Naval Intelligence. Because of some proprietary projects we have in production or development, there is round the clock security at my offices and they would go with you everywhere while you're off the property. You would have your own security detail whose sole purpose is to protect you.

No one knows I'm here so I left them back in Los Angeles; they were very angry with me about it but I'm the boss. Since it was personal, the military side couldn't really complain... too much. It's nice to travel by myself sometimes without the constraints they bring with them.

If you accept my offer, we're going to spend a tremendous amount of time together and you're going to be responsible for many millions of dollars, several billion even depending on what's going on.

The hours will be long, erratic and we're going to fly around a whole lot.

We've business offices in major cities around the world and properties in most of them and I've a little beach place in Hawaii which I use to kick back and occasionally take everyone there for vacations. However, with our satellite coverage we'd still be a moment away from the business, which is both good and bad.

Last year, I finished a new office complex just north of Malibu on some property bought several years ago. This is our new world headquarters and everything comes there.

The military liaisons are also there so you would see quite a few uniforms walking around.

I have a personal military liaison, Major Filomina Cottone, who's been with me for several years now. She would be your counterpart on the military contracts and she spends a good amount of time with me.

She and I leave from time to time on military contract discussions and other secret junkets, sometimes for weeks at a time."

I decided right then and there I would have to check out this 'Filomina' woman... but he had already said they'd been together for quite a while... weeks at a time, though, didn't make me feel very good about that.

Maybe he wanted a couple of women... who was going to be the one on the side? How could have I thought about it that way. I was so wrong.

Jim continued talking. "Miss Kaylyn, would you like to come with me back to L.A.? I understand that your life has not been the best. Neither has mine. I'm sorry for that, I really am.

All I can offer is that the future can and will be better if you want it, if you want to be with me."

'Oh... my... God...', I thought, 'he said, 'be with me...' not with the company, but with him...'

"I own the entire company. I am offering you the position of my executive assistant, not as a secretary, I already have several of those. You would be my second in command for the Corporation.

I'll train you so that you can run the place in case I can't. I can think of no other position that would utilize your talents better and we seem to get along pretty well here, I think.

Everyone working with us would always treat you with respect.

I like you... and... well, I... I would hope maybe that you..."

I saw that he was getting red in the face, looking for words that escaped him. Over the years, I've learned one thing: Men, even the so-called 'alpha' males, get tongue-tied when expressing their true feelings.

I refused to laugh. He's just poured out his heart to me. It almost sounded like a marriage proposal... maybe it was, in some deep mysterious, romantic way.

He was dead serious and I so wanted to leave the city... and I so liked him. I wasn't sure whether he was speaking from his mind, his heart or his pants but I was prepared to take whatever he offered.

12