Spoils of Victory: A New Beginning

Story Info
A week is a long time if you're falling in love.
10.8k words
4.72
51.3k
9

Part 2 of the 4 part series

Updated 08/30/2017
Created 02/29/2004
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Alex De Kok
Alex De Kok
1,363 Followers

This story follows on from the events recounted in my "Spoils of Victory" trilogy, but this one stands on its own, so you don't need to have read the trilogy for it to make sense. Of course, if you haven't . . .?

She phoned me Sunday evening, just after I'd got back from my weekend away. I'd thrown my soiled clothes in the wash basket, grabbed a beer from the refrigerator and checked the answering machine. Two business messages. They could wait until Monday. I was just finishing making a note to remind myself when the phone rang again. I let the answering machine kick in as I wrote, and was taken by surprise by my caller.

"Hi, Bob. Um, it's Julie, Julie March. Aunt Elly introduced us at Teal Island, remember? You'll be wondering why I'm phoning. Um, I have the chance to borrow a sailboat next weekend. I don't know anyone else interested in sailing, and I was wondering, wondering whether maybe you'd like to come with me? Maybe show me the ropes? Oh, that sounds corny, doesn't it? I'm sorry. You know what I mean, I guess. Obviously, you don't have to come - "

I picked up the handset and pressed the stop button on the recorder. "Julie? Hi. I just got in."

"Oh. Hi, Bob." Her voice was hesitant. "I hope you don't think I'm being pushy, I mean, I know you can sail, and I have this offer of a boat next weekend. I'd love to accept, but apart from the couple who own the boat I don't know anyone except you that actually knows which rope to pull." There was a nervous chuckle. "No compulsion, of course. It's just I have to let my friends know this evening. If I want to borrow the boat, I mean."

"Julie, I'd love to go sailing with you. Tell you what, why don't we have a drink sometime this week and discuss it?"

"Oh, yes! That would be great! I'm free any evening." Any evening? Interesting. What kept a good-looking girl like her indoors all week?

I glanced at my watch. Seven-forty. "Would that include tonight?"

There was a pause. "Yes, it would." There was a note of surprised pleasure in her voice.

"Where do I collect you?"

"Drake Building. Tenth and Vine. Apartment seventeen."

"Give me twenty minutes. I'll collect you at eight."

"Eight-thirty would be better. A girl needs more time," she said, a teasing note in her voice.

"Eight-thirty it is. See you then." I hung up, whistling. Just time for a quick shower.

I was a little early, maybe eight twenty-five, but she answered immediately when I rang her number on the speaker-phone gizmo at the entrance to the apartment block.

"Hi, it's Bob."

"Stay there, I'll be right down." She was as good as her word and gave me a bright smile as she came out.

I led the way to the car and seated her, rewarded with another flashing smile. Once in my own seat I looked across at her. "Where would you like to go? Do you want a meal, or just a drink and a chat?"

"I'd just eaten when I phoned you, so I'm not hungry, but if you'd like to go somewhere where I can just have a drink, and you a meal if you like, that's fine."

"Any suggestions?"

"There is a place," Julie said, hesitant.

"Tell."

"The 'Torch Bar'. There's live music tonight, and the food's good."

"Torch it is, but you'll have to direct me, because although I've heard of it, I don't know where it is."

It was down a side street, well off the main drag, but I managed to get parked within a couple of blocks and we made our way back to the Torch. There was a sign by the doorway, telling us 'Tonight and Tomorrow - Ellen Demaris.' I gestured at the sign.

"Do you know of her? The name's new to me."

"I do. That's why I wanted to come here. You don't mind, do you?"

"Of course not. Come on, let's go in."

The bar was only two-thirds full and we got a table near the tiny stage. Piano, drum kit, guitar on a rest. No players. I ordered drinks and a steak sandwich, and Julie and I just chatted for a while. Feeling each other out, I guess. We'd been introduced by Julie's aunt, Eleanor, at a nudist camp of all places, so there was none of the conventional wondering about what a new date might look like without clothes. I'd seen Julie naked, and I knew that the reality was pretty stunning. What we didn't know about each other were the conventional social things. Likes, dislikes, job, school, things like that. Although naturally reticent, Julie was open enough that I soon felt as if I'd known her longer than just two days. As we chatted, and I ate my delicious sandwich, the lights dimmed, a drummer and a guitarist slid into their places and a figure at the side of the stage was spotlighted. He raised a microphone to his lips.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the Torch Bar proudly presents, Ellen Demaris!" There was a spattering of applause as a blond woman in a black sheath dress took her place at the piano and launched into 'Ain't Misbehavin'. Ellen Demaris was good. A throaty voice that hit the notes bang on, a sure touch on the piano keys and a couple of accompanists who kept the beat and rhythm going without ever intruding. She did a dozen or so numbers and then announced that it was time for a break.

"I have to see an old friend, too," she said. I'd noticed when she came on, as soon as she was relaxed and had the feel of the audience, she'd looked around, and I was sure she'd recognized someone when she looked in our direction. She didn't know me from Santa Claus, so it had to be Julie, and sure enough, as she moved away from the piano she came over to our table. Julie stood up and hugged her and turned to me. I stood.

"Bob," said Julie, "I'd like you to meet an old college friend of mine, Ellen Demaris. Ellie, this is Bob Archer." Ellen held out her hand and I shook it. There was a spare chair at our table and I gestured to it.

"Sit down, please." The waitress was hovering and I touched Ellen's arm. "A drink, perhaps?"

"Just a mineral water, please."

"Got it," said the waitress.

"We were at college together," said Julie. "We used to sing as a duo, but my voice doesn't last enough for more than a couple of nights, so these days I just sing in the shower."

"A great pity, too, Bob, because Jules has a lovely singing voice, purer than mine. We made a good duo." Ellen smiled at her friend, and turned to me. "So, Bob, how long have you known this lovely lady?"

I laughed. "About thirty-six hours, I think. Her aunt introduced us yesterday."

"And here you are, out together to listen to me."

Julie laughed. "Bob had never heard of you, Ellie, it was my idea to come here. I was going to come tomorrow. Now I can come twice."

Ellen laughed. "Yes, you can." She flicked a glance at me, before turning back to Julie. "Chuck?"

Julie shuddered and her face tightened. Ellen reached out and took her hand. "Sorry, Jules, I shouldn't have said anything."

Julie shook her head. "It's okay, Ellie, he's out of my life, serving time for assault and kidnap now."

"Good," said Ellen. The waitress had returned and she took her glass of mineral water. Julie stood.

"Excuse me for a moment, please. I must visit the ladies' room. No, don't get up. I won't be a moment." She was off in a swirl of skirt, moving easily through the crowd.

Ellen turned to me and we chatted for a while. The usual things, the trivia that strangers use to make conversation, and then she fixed me with a look. "She tell you about Chuck?" she said abruptly.

I shook my head. "No, but her aunt told me she'd had a bad time."

"He was a charmer, Chuck, but a real poisonous snake. To hear he's in jail is very reassuring and not a bit surprising." Ellen looked at me, head cocked. "What about you, Bob?"

"What about me?"

"You and Julie. You going to be good to her?"

I looked at her but all I could see was concern for her friend. "We only met yesterday," I said, and a smile escaped me before I could stop it. Ellen picked it up straightaway.

"Where?"

Neither of us had noticed Julie's return and it was Julie who answered as she slipped back into her seat. "Teal Island."

Ellen frowned. "Teal Island?" Her eyebrows went up. "Isn't that the, um -?"

"Nudist camp?" said Julie, grinning at her friend. "Yes, it is, and, yes, that's where we met."

"I didn't know you were into the skin thing," said Ellen, grinning at us.

"I have been since early spring. Bob's still a cotton-tail," Julie said with a smile.

Ellen looked puzzled for a moment, then exploded into laughter. "Oh, my, yes! I can just see what you mean." She chuckled to herself, and then sobered. "Maybe one day, but I tend to burn rather than tan." She sighed. "Back to work. Are you going to stay until I finish?"

"When's that?" said Julie.

Ellen made a face. "Midnight."

Julie looked at me. "Bob?"

I nodded. "Fine by me. I don't have to be up early."

Ellen nodded. "Great, we can talk again for a while." She got up and went back to the piano, playing a few trills, waiting for the drummer and guitarist. She played a couple of numbers and then she stood, taking the microphone from its stand.

"Ladies and gentlemen," she said. "When I first started in this business, I was part of a duo, but my partner quit after a few months because her voice couldn't take the strain of performing night after night." Ellen held out her hand towards Julie. "She's here tonight, and I'd like her to join me for a couple of numbers. A big hand, please, for Julie March!"

Julie looked at me. I nodded, grinning. "Go!" She smiled and made her way over to Ellen. There was a brief heads together discussion and Ellen sat back down at the piano, launching into the introduction to 'Cry me a river.' I'd only ever heard the Julie London version of the old classic, but Julie March sang it as if it was her own. Ellen was right, Julie's voice was true and pure and she wrung every nuance out of the lyrics. The applause from the audience was genuine, and again after a duet with Ellen and another solo number, before she took a bow and made her way over to sit with me again.

Her eyes were sparkling as she slid into her seat. "I enjoyed that," she said.

I reached across and squeezed her fingers. "You were great." She smiled and turned her hand to squeeze mine.

We stayed until Ellen finished and chatted with her for a while, but at half-past midnight, although the bar was still open, it was time to go, as Julie had to be up for work in the morning. I work from home most of the time, so it wasn't so critical for me, but I was tired, too, and didn't argue. Ellen gave me a kiss on the cheek and a hug, and a whispered, "look after her." She turned to Julie.

"Coming back tomorrow? Tonight, I should say, I suppose."

Julie nodded. "Yes, I'll be here." She turned to me and I shook my head.

"I have a meeting with a client at seven-thirty. Get here by cab, and I'll join you as soon as I can get free, and then I can give you a ride home, if you like?"

Julie smiled with pleasure. "Please, Bob. I'd like that."

When we got back to her apartment block I walked her across to the door. She paused, hesitant.

"Go," I said, "it's late."

"You don't mind?"

I shook my head. "Why should I mind? You're a working girl, you need your sleep. I'll see you tonight, won't I? And we need to arrange when we're going sailing, too."

A look of horror crossed Julie's face. "I forgot to tell Jack I wanted to borrow the boat!"

"Don't worry. If he's loaned it to someone else I can borrow Charlie's. He won't mind."

"Are you sure?"

"Of course. Now, get yourself in and get some sleep. I'll see you in the bar tonight."

She paused, and I could see the hesitation. I leaned in to her and her lips came up as her eyes closed. The kiss was gentle. A promise, but I could feel tension in her, and found myself angry at whoever had hurt her so much she wasn't able to enjoy a kiss, but she broke away, smiling. "Good night, Bob."

"Good night, Julie." She opened the door and went in, waving goodbye as she did. I walked back to the car and took myself home. I stripped naked and poured myself a large scotch, sipping it as the shower warmed, draining the glass as I moved under the shower-head, soaping myself, watching almost abstractedly as my erection thickened. I smiled as I grasped it and began to masturbate to the memory of the naked and lovely Julie as I'd seen her on Teal Island. I came hard.

I was busy all of Monday, as I wanted to get ahead. I was prompt for my meeting with the client, the meeting went well, and at nine-forty I was parking the car. When I got into the 'Torch' Julie was up on stage again with Ellen. I just enjoyed the music for a while until Julie came off and I made my way towards her. A guy in front of me I think was going to make a move on Julie but she spotted me over his shoulder and smiled. He could tell the smile wasn't for him, glanced over his shoulder, then shrugged, smiled and moved away. A good loser, I figured.

"Hi, Bob," said Julie, stretching to kiss my cheek. "When did you get here?"

"Part way through 'Smoke gets in your eyes,' so I stood at the back and just watched and listened. You were great."

"Thanks. It felt good, but I could feel my throat getting tight on that last number."

"It didn't show."

"I'm not usually so throaty singing that one," she said, with a grin.

"It sounded good. Have we a table?"

"We have. Max, he's the manager, reserved us one."

"Great. Have you eaten?"

"No. You?"

"Not yet. Want something here?"

"Yes, please. I liked the look of that steak sandwich you had last night, but I think I'll get the smaller one, with some salad."

We ordered, ordered drinks, and watched Ellen for a while. During a lull between numbers, I remembered the boat.

"Julie, did you ask your friend about the boat?"

She nodded. "Yes, this morning. It's a go. We can have it from noon Friday until ten on Monday morning, if we want."

"Sounds good. What kind is it?"

Julie screwed her face up, remembering. "Jack said it was a Bermuda cutter, thirty feet, and it has bunks and a galley if we want to sleep on board." Julie flushed, but her smile was genuine. "Does that sound about right?"

"Sounds good. Do you? Want to sleep on board, I mean?"

She shrugged. Nervous, I think. "I dunno. What about you?"

"It would mean we could anchor anywhere that looked and felt good, but it's your call. I have a couple of sleeping bags we can use, if you wanted to sleep on a beach or something."

Julie smiled. "That sounds good. I'll get some food together for Friday."

"Only if you let me pay at least half," I said.

She nodded. "Dutch it is. Have you any dislikes in food?"

"Can't think of any. You?"

She shook her head. "As long as it isn't still alive, I'm fine." She glanced across at the stage, where Ellen was just starting another number and by unspoken consent, we kept our silence and gave Ellen's performance the respect it deserved. Ellen announced a break after the number and, like the evening before, came to join us.

"Hi, Bob," she said. "Did you catch any of Julie's set?"

"Last three numbers," I said. "It was great."

"But the voice was going, wasn't it, hon?" she said to Julie.

"Yeah," said Julie, making a face.

"Never mind, hon. You were a hit anyway."

"It was fun, but I know I'll never be more than a party singer. I'm used to the idea now."

"At least you get to sleep in your own bed at nights," said Ellen with a laugh and a sideways glance at me. "I don't get home again for another three weeks."

"You enjoy being on the road, admit it!" said Julie.

Ellen grinned. "Yeah, most of the time." We chatted for a while, nothing serious, just friendly gossip, until Ellen drained her mineral water and stood. "Some of us have work to do," she said, kissed Julie's cheek, and made her way back to the stage. We stayed until she finished, chatted with her for another half-hour or so and then left, again well after midnight. Julie was fighting yawns as I drove her home.

"Straight to bed for you, miss," I said.

"Sorry, Bob. I guess two late nights are catching up with me. Will I see you tonight?"

"Sorry, but no. I have to leave town for a day or so, so I won't see you tomorrow either, but Thursday, I'd like to take you to dinner."

"I'd like that, very much. Any thoughts on where?"

"What do you like?"

"All sorts." She paused. "I like cooking, too, so how about instead of taking me out, I fix us dinner at my apartment? We can discuss what we'd like to do over the weekend, too."

"Sounds like a plan. What time?"

"How about seven? That gives us plenty of time to chat afterwards."

"I'll come by cab, then we can have a bottle of wine and I don't need to risk a DUI."

"Sensible. Okay, Bob, dinner here, on Thursday. Anything special you'd like?"

I shrugged. "Whatever suits you. Something with fish might be nice."

She laughed. "My specialty! Fish I do best, so bring white wine, Bob."

"I will." We'd reached her apartment block now, and again I walked her over to the door. There was no hesitation this time. She came straight into my arms for a kiss, and there was a definite promise in hers. Eventually she broke away, a smile in her eyes.

"Good night, Bob, and thank you. See you Thursday."

"Thursday. Goodnight, Julie." There had definitely been less tension in her when I kissed her goodnight this time, but I could still feel it.

I masturbated in the shower again.

Tuesday and Wednesday were boring. Okay, I met up with my client and we agreed a deal that would bring me a lot of money, but the hotel room was lonely and I realized I was really missing being with Julie. I took a mental step back, almost surprised. I liked her, yes, I liked her very much. Was there more? Maybe I was falling in love. I didn't know, I'd never been in love before, not to the extent of wanting to spend the rest of my life with a particular woman. I'd always backed away before, or the women I'd known had been like me, happy to enjoy good sex, but with no ties. Here I was, thinking serious thoughts about a woman I'd only known for three days. I laughed at myself. If it happened, it happened.

Thursday evening was fine, a warm summer evening, and I got the cab to stop at a little mom-and-pop mini-mart I knew, where I knew the wine was both good and reasonably priced, and at five to seven I was ringing the bell at Julie's apartment.

"Hello? Bob? Is that you?"

"Large as life and twice as ugly."

She giggled, and the door lock buzzed open. I grabbed it before it could lock again and made my way to apartment seventeen, on the third floor. Julie was waiting at the door for me, stood aside to let me in and suddenly was in my arms as the door closed. The kiss was an invitation, an invitation I'm not sure she intended, at least, not that early, as she broke away, flushing and looking a little flustered. I pretended not to notice and held out the bag.

"Two bottles of white wine. Best get it in the refrigerator. It's chilled, but it's a warm night."

"Thanks, Bob. Take a seat in the living room. I just have to finish the sauce, then we can relax for twenty minutes until it's ready."

I looked around her living room with curiosity. A room can give a clue to a person, and I wanted to know the real Julie. A comfortable couch, a little battered, faced a modestly sized TV, an armchair to the side. Coffee table, magazine rack, a small entertainment center, and a big rack of CDs and DVDs. Curious, I looked closer. A very eclectic mix!

"Pick one you like," said Julie, coming up behind me, silent on slippered feet.

I glanced at her, amused. "Testing my taste?"

She grinned. "Of course."

I took a CD out and handed it to her. "This one."

She looked at the CD and nodded. "I like this one, too." She slid the CD into the player and Madeleine Peyroux began to sing "Dance me to the end of love." Julie gestured to the couch and I sat, while she perched herself on the armchair. "Dinner in fifteen minutes."

Alex De Kok
Alex De Kok
1,363 Followers