Star Ch. 01

Story Info
Lucky Star: a local government worker ends up in a film.
4k words
4.73
14.3k
10

Part 1 of the 6 part series

Updated 11/01/2022
Created 10/15/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Storm62
Storm62
355 Followers

The ultimate wish fufillment. Written in the form of an interview with flashbacks. Part 1 of 5

Part 1: Lucky Star

Interviewer: I'm talking with the star and co-star of Karen Carragher's 'Dirty Work', her first film since she finished the seven film series of 'Scholarship Girl'. Karen is also co-producer on this new project. So, I hear you two met before the film was even properly scripted?

Karen Carragher: Yes, that's right. I was doing some research into waste collection and I came across a blog on the net by Dave. It was very articulate and thought-provoking with a lot of insight into the job he was doing. When I read his profile and found out that he had been doing the same job...

Dave Gerrard: Or variations of the same job!

KC: Yes. Doing the same job for over twenty years, I thought maybe he would be able to provide me with the depth I needed for the role I was going to play.

Interviewer: The young woman determined to succeed in a job dominated by men?

DG: I'd just like to say that women aren't unwelcome; they just don't like the job. Probably the smell, or thought of it, puts them off. That's only my opinion though.

***

I wasn't sure what to say when I was told by my supervisor that some film people wanted to come and pick my brain about my job. It was just my job, and although I thought about it a fair bit and even put those thoughts into a blog I'd started, that's all it was. I didn't consider myself the fount of all knowledge regarding waste collection. In any case, I agreed and was pleasantly surprised when the only person that turned up on the appointed day was Karen Carragher, the film star. I'd watched her grow up throughout her films in the 'Scholarship Girl' series, we all had. From a cute ten year old to a highly attractive twenty year old, all under the eyes of the world. I was almost expecting her to be aloof, just going through the motions, but I was wrong. She wanted to learn about what life was like collecting people's rubbish. The first day she just sat in my RCV with me as I drove around and asked questions: about the attitude of the public, about the attitude of other bin men to women who worked on the collections. Just background stuff really. She made copious notes and I was expecting more of the same on her second day with us. Karen however asked if I could show her how we worked, she wanted to load bins. To help her out I ceded my driving seat to my second driver and worked the lifts with her for the day. I explained how to load a bin and tried to explain how to load two bins at the same time.

"You just line them up."

"But how? Not everyone can do it, I can see that."

"I can only tell you how I think I do it. It's been so long since I started I can't remember exactly what process I used in the beginning."

"Okay, go on."

"All right. I line up the right hand bin so that the right hand corner is up against the right edge of the lift and then the left hand bin should be about the width of a fist away from it. If everything is correct, when you tip them forwards they should both go up together."

"Sounds simple."

"Well, to me it is, but I've had a hell of a lot of practice." I smiled. "Not so much these days though, as my loaders will tell you." I watched as she painstakingly tried to follow my advice. To her joy and my surprise it worked first time, and then second time. In fact it was nearly ten minutes before she failed to get two on at once, overconfidence finally striking.

Karen was wonderful to work with. She didn't moan once in the three days she worked with me, even when it rained on the third day, soaking all of us. I'd shrugged and said that was something we all got used to, even if we didn't like it. When we finished that day I wasn't expecting to hear from her ever again. I thought that meeting her for three days was great, but never thought that it would lead to anything else.

***

Interviewer: But it did?

DG: Yes. About three weeks later Karen called me. She asked if I was available to be the Technical Advisor for 'Dirty Work'. I had to tell her 'maybe', it all depended on whether my leave entitlement would cover the period they wanted me.

KC: When I told him that we'd need him for at least four months he said he couldn't do it. I had other ideas though. (Grins)

DG: (Smiling) Yes. She went to my line manager and told them that the production company would pay for my replacement for the duration of the filming. For some reason, only I would do.

KC: Well, I felt that the production, especially the actors and maybe the scriptwriter, needed some specialist guidance and because of the way Dave was able to give me some insight during my brief visit, I was confident that he was the man for the job.

DG: (Laughing) I'm glad someone was. When they told me I was going to be the 'Technical Advisor', I panicked. I mean, what does a Technical Advisor do?

KC: (Huge smile) Dummy!

DG: (Blushing) Yes, I know now, advises on technical issues, obviously.

Interviewer: But that still doesn't explain how you ended up in the film?

***

So there I was on the set of the film. They were setting up some sequences of the RCV working. I had just spent a week working with the scriptwriter, polishing the finer points of waste collection operation with him, but here on set I felt overawed, like a fish out of water and a little alone. I wasn't sure exactly what I was supposed to be doing here, so I went and had a look at the RCV they were going to use. Here at least was something familiar. As I was poking around the binlifts, Clint, the director, came up behind me.

"This will be fine for the job won't it?" He asked.

"It's a bit newer and cleaner than the one I'm used too." I smiled. "But it should be fine." I leant back against the big solid side of the truck. "Can I ask one thing though, why am I here?"

"Karen thought you should be on set." He shrugged.

"Miss Carragher? But to do what exactly?"

"To keep an eye on how the waste collection ingredient of the film looks. We don't want all your mates phoning up and telling us that its rubbish, no pun intended."

"All right, I understand that." Now I had an idea of what I was supposed to do. "How do you want me to express my displeasure? Should I run out shouting 'No, no, that's all wrong'? Or will a tap on the shoulder be enough?" Clint put his arm around my shoulder and laughed.

"Karen was right about you. You are a sharp one. Just tap me on the shoulder and as long as it's possible, we'll do it your way."

I watched the first two takes as they loaded bins onto the truck down a winding street and then had to tap Clint's arm.

"What's up Dave?"

"This driver character is supposed to be popular with his workmates, if I read the script correctly?" He nodded. "Well, he wouldn't be very popular with his loaders if he kept pulling up like that all day and made them walk so far with heavy bins."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean he should either pull up just past the bins so all they have to do is push them onto the lifts, or pull up roughly equidistant between the bins either side of the road." Clint gave me a puzzled look. I sighed. "I don't suppose this driver is a real bin man?"

"No, he's the driver who brought the truck from the hire company."

"Thought so. Knows how to go forward, but not when to stop. Let me show you what I mean."

"Go on then."

I trotted up to the RCV and indicated that the driver should move over. I slipped into the driving seat and began to adjust things like the seat and the mirrors.

"Don't worry mate, I know what I'm doing." I said as I slipped the truck into reverse and shot backwards up the twisty street to the entrance, using only one hand as usual. The company driver gave me a dark look. Ignoring him I wound down the window and stuck my head out to tell the extra's what to do. I turned on the radio and sighed. Now it felt right. I moved to the first pair of bins, and then the second...

"That was quite astonishing." Clint said. "They barely had to move."

"Well, loaders deserve something. The driver is in the dry if it rains and in the cool if it's hot, so the least he can do is put the truck right next to the bins for them."

"I told you he was good." Karen said. I hadn't noticed her come onto the set.

"I could probably do it quicker with practice." I blurted out before I realised that it sounded like boasting.

Clint and Karen looked at each other.

"How quick?" Clint asked.

"For the street? Maybe five minutes."

"Okay. Go and practice and rehearse the extras at the same time." The director said. I trotted off; oblivious to the frantic signalling that was going on between the two I had left and three or four other people nearby.

***

Interviewer: So you had no idea what was going on?

KC: Same as usual. (Laughing)

DG: Cheek! (Pokes her arm with his finger) No, I didn't know what they were hatching. I just assumed that they were going to alter the camera positions or something. I mean, it was the first time I'd been on a film set, so I just took everything at face value. In any case, I was enjoying myself shuffling the RCV up and down the street.

Interviewer: At what point do you realise that Karen and Clint had something different planned for you?

DG: It was when Clint came over to where some of the film crew had gathered, betting me that if they coned off half the street I couldn't reverse up it.

KC: He bloody did though! Smart Alec!

DG: (Reddens again) It's easier than you think. Anyway, Clint came across and asked me to come to the trailer in five minutes.

Interviewer: And you still didn't suspect?

DG: No, I thought I'd pissed him off by showing off in the truck. I said as much when I went in. Karen and the scriptwriter were there too, all three of them looking at me in an expectant way. They told me that they wanted me to take the part of the driver 'Pip' that hadn't been cast yet. I was a bit stunned. Having read the script, I knew that 'Emily', Karen's part, was supposed to fall in love with him.

***

"You're changing the ending then?" I asked.

"No." Said Clint. "Except to change 'Pip' to 'Pops' the script stands."

"But that's ridiculous. Twenty year old girls don't fall in love with middle aged men unless they've got money."

"You're an expert on twenty year old girls then?" Karen asked sweetly smiling.

"No. But I am an expert on middle aged men, and I've never been that lucky!"

"Maybe your luck's just changed." Karen said, a sly look on her face now.

"Besides which, this is the movies." Clint said waving his arms wide. "Anything can happen!" He put his arm around my shoulder. "Do you want the part?"

"I've never done any acting." I said. I still couldn't believe this.

"That's the easy part for you. You just have to be yourself."

"So this 'Pops' will react how I would?"

"You got it."

"Please Dave. I know you can do it." Karen gave me the 'scholarship girl' look, and batted her eyelids.

"All right." I sighed. "On the condition I can take some pictures of what's going on. It's the only chance I'm going to get."

"Sure." Said Clint. "Everybody does that anyway these days." He went to the trailer door. "I'll just go and tell the crew what's happening." He turned and said as he left. "At least we won't need a stunt driver for you."

Karen took my unresisting arm and led me towards the commissary truck.

"Come on. We need to discuss a few things about our roles."

***

DG: I did find acting as myself fairly easy most of the time, on the set I mean. But when it came to the romantic scenes with Karen, it became difficult.

Interviewer: Why was that?

KC: I must say I never noticed any difficulties.

DG: It had been a while since I did anything romantic, and about twenty five years since I'd romanced a twenty year old. (Smirked) Anyway, the big tender scene two thirds of the way in? I couldn't get a handle on how to play it.

KC: I thought you were messing it up purposely, so you'd have to kiss me again!

DG: (Laughing) No, honestly, it wasn't on purpose. I was having problems with why.

Interviewer: Why Pops was in love with Emily?

DG: No, the exact reverse in fact. Why was Emily in love with Pops? I knew I could be in love with a twenty year old. I was acting opposite one who I'd been attracted to since her fourth or fifth film.

KC: You never said.

DG: Why would I? Anyway, for all of that day, I couldn't get a handle on why Emily would be in love with Pops. Clint gave up in the end, saying we'd shoot it later.

Interviewer: But that scene is wonderful! How did you solve the dilemma?

KC: The night before the re-shoot I took him out to dinner and we discussed how the scene should play.

DG: That's not exactly how I remember it.

***

Karen had asked me to dinner. She said there were some things we needed to get right before the re-shoots, especially the major scene that I'd kept messing up a couple of weeks ago. I knocked on the door of her hotel room feeling overdressed. Suits don't sit well on me, I look awful in them, but I was dining with the beautiful Miss Carragher, so a suit it had to be. Or so I thought. She opened the door and just stared.

"Didn't I tell you not to dress up?" She asked, indicating I should come in. She was wearing a rock t-shirt, and a pair of tatty jeans.

"I thought you meant not to wear a tuxedo." I replied, my face going red.

"I said we'd just order some room service and then try and work out what we need to do with these re-shoots. At least, that's what I thought I said."

"You did, but I've never had a meal with a famous actress..."

"We eat together all the time!"

"On set snacks are not the same thing." I protested weakly.

"What is your real problem here? Is it the same one that's causing you to mess up in some of the romantic scenes?"

"I... I don't know how to act around you." I saw the smile on her face. "Poor choice of words."

"Sit down while I order some food." She sighed. I did as I was told. I slipped the jacket off and stuffed the tie into the pocket and instantly felt more relaxed. Karen handed me a drink.

I sipped at it gratefully.

"You know, I am going to be the envy of every bin man in the country."

"And why would that be?"

"Because I get to kiss you."

"So why do you keep getting it wrong?"

I slumped down, realising I was going to have to tell her why.

"Inexperience and disbelief."

"What?"

"It's been a long time since I had to kiss a pretty girl, and never one as pretty as you. And I still can't get my head around why a young woman would fall for an old man."

"Oh, you're an old man now?"

"Don't tease Karen; this is messing up the entire film. So unless I can believe in a reason, it'll take some nifty editing to get something out of the scene."

"Do you believe in me?" Karen looked at me earnestly.

"Yes." I replied, but reddened. "But you're a very good actress. Very convincing."

"Thank you, but that's not what I meant. This film is my project, something to show I can act as something more than a clever schoolgirl. It was me who wanted you in this film, because..." She faltered. "Well, because you're kind, honest, and funny. And a person like that should occasionally get the breaks."

"But giving me that break is stuffing up the filming!"

"You are not listening. If YOU can get THIS role, then POPS can get EMILY."

I was dumbstruck. She was absolutely right. Maybe miracles can happen, and if I just ran with it, it would work. Karen saw the sudden understanding flash across my face. "Get it now?"

"Yes, yes. I can see how I can make it work now. Thank you." I reached up and held her hand, kissing it gently.

***

Interviewer: So, with that one piece of advice you got it right?

DG: Well, more or less. It still took about three or four takes, but it wasn't just me messing it up this time. It was madam here as well.

KC: I kept getting the giggles. And that was his fault.

DG: Me? How?

KC: You'd finally convinced Clint to put in the number plate scene earlier in the day, and I kept remembering it at the wrong moment.

Interviewer: I'm sorry, I don't...

KC: It's okay. It's only a quick cut scene. There's a car number plate that starts BJ08 and Pops just says 'Am I the only one who thinks that says...' and then we cut to another scene.

DG: Its part of the 'getting along with the crew' bit of the film, where Emily is starting to be accepted by the other workers. I asked if we could add a little 'bin man' humour in. And yes, it is all as bad and smutty as that.

Interviewer: Workplace humour doesn't change much wherever you work does it? (Laughs). Now a last couple of questions about some rumours from the set. The first one concerns the car chase near the end.

DG: The truck pursuit?

Interviewer: Yes. The rumour is that you drove the truck yourself as Pops chases Emily before she can leave town.

KC: Oh yes, I can confirm he did. The stunt driver couldn't get it right, but Mister Genius here did it much more smoothly and safely.

DG: (Reddening again). It was pretty easy really. I'm used to driving an RCV and had been driving that one in particular throughout the shoot, so I knew where to put her.

Interviewer: Her?

DG: The truck. Sorry if that sounds silly or offends anyone. But honestly, any other experienced RCV driver could have done it.

KC: I still don't believe you. You did it in one take, for goodness sake!

DG: Karen, I'm not the greatest driver in the world. Hell, I know I'm not even the best in my own yard. I'm telling you, that chase was easier than the reversing up the coned off street. Everything was choreographed, and I just had a better handle on how the truck moved than the stunt guy.

KC: (Mutters). I still think you're being modest.

Interviewer: Anyway, the other rumour concerns some romance on the set.

DG: On the set? (He looks puzzled.)

KC: Between some of the actors? (Also puzzled.)

DG: That guy, Steve, playing the other loader with Emily and Pops. He was always talking with that nice girl who was playing the admin assistant.

KC: She's his wife Dave.

DG: She is? It's a good job I decided not to chat her up then!

Interviewer: (Smiling) No, The rumours concern the two of you actually.

KC: (Astonished.) US!!?

DG: I think some people saw more than what there actually was between us. Karen is a very good actress, and I've already admitted I'm in love with her from her earlier films. She also spent a lot of time helping me. Perhaps they saw that and came to the wrong conclusion? Sorry to disappoint you.

Interviewer: I'm not sure I believe you.

DG: I'm not that good an actor; the whole crew will tell you that. (Grins)

Interviewer: Karen, Dave, thank you for your time.

***

The man from 'Film Today' left and I collapsed in a heap on the sofa of the hotel room.

"I'm glad that's over. I didn't like lying to him about us though."

"You didn't lie, just misled him a little. I'll tell you what, when we announce our engagement after the film opens, he can be the one we tell first. That will make you feel better."

"A kiss from my lover would help too." I grinned. She kissed me. "I still can't believe this you know?"

"Which part can't you believe at the moment?"

"Well I'm prepared to believe that I've just made a film which is apparently getting some reasonable reviews, I'm even prepared to believe that I don't actually ruin the aforesaid film. What I still can't believe is that I'm dating the star of that film."

"Why ever not?" Karen kissed me again, putting her arms around my neck. "I practically told you right at the beginning."

"You did?"

"Does the phrase 'Maybe your luck's just changed' ring any bells?"

"Good grief! All the way back then? I thought it was because of all that kissing we were doing for the big scene."

Storm62
Storm62
355 Followers
12