Stephen King Drives a Brown Jeep

Story Info
Fainting spell causes bizarre dream.
7k words
3.75
10.6k
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She fought the sun that threatened to invade her sleep-deprived eyes with an exaggerated blink that crumpled half of her face. The alarm clock hadn't even gone off yet, she learned as she turned towards its' nuclear green numerals which also tried to coerce her into awakening.

She had so much to do today. She had to stop by the Post Office and mail out some overdue bills. Not all of them though, she wasn't that caught up yet. She had to make it to the office sometime between ten and two so she could pick up her paycheck so the checks she mailed out wouldn't bounce. Then she had an appointment at four. Thomas called during dinner last night to tell her that he was in town. During dinner, that's a laugh. How dare anyone interrupt her Spaghetti-O's in front of the TV with Bob Vila?

"Some things never change," Thomas chuckled.

They quickly made arrangements and didn't spend much time on small talk. Alyssa thought her cousin wasn't flying up for her dad's wedding until this Friday? Well, this Friday or last Friday doesn't matter now. He was home. New Hampshire will always be his home. It didn't matter if he lived in California until he died; New Hampshire would always be his home. He told Alyssa she just wrote the wrong date on the calendar. Still, if Thomas was in town a week ago she wished she had known before now.

Thomas said there was big news. Alyssa wondered if he and his wife were pregnant? She wondered if Thomas made Partner at the Agency? It seemed she would know soon enough. They're meeting for lunch today. Thomas told her to be ready for ten.

"I have a car now, you know." Alyssa rolled her eyes, not that she thought he could see, and sighed.

"Finally? Great! But I'm still picking you up." There was something in his voice that she couldn't identify. It bothered her all night. It still did. It was a mix of relief, disappointment, and something else. She couldn't figure out that something else part. It somersaulted on the diving board in her mouth and continued to bug her.

She looked on the counter for her planner. She had a lot to do today and needed to make sure she didn't forget anything. When she promised they'd do lunch when Thomas was in town, she thought she'd have at least twenty-four hours notice. Part of the perks to being family, she thought.

Although she never told her cousin why she wanted to see him, there was a need to make up for telling him to fuck off and for begging to be left alone to her nervous breakdown back in February. She could see now that he was only trying to help, but help was the farthest thing from her mind. She just wanted to be alone. She just wanted to cry and crawl under the rock of her life and wither in its darkness. That was then. She'd come a long way since then. She was struggling to get out of debt but she finally had a steady job. She was still a little depressed but at least she was finally off the meds. Still, there was the thrice weekly counseling that was mandatory for a year after she checked out of the center.

The doorbell rang and she realized that it was quarter of ten already. She fumbled with the lock and found her cousin on the other side. Thomas looked the way he did the last time Alyssa saw him.

California was obviously treating him well. It was October and he still had the soft golden glow associated with someone who is always outside. The only thing different was that he now sported a neatly trimmed goatee. That couldn't be a surprise, she'd been telling him for years that he'd get more women if he just relaxed with the shaver a little bit. She continued to wonder what the surprise could be. They said their hellos and Alyssa apologized for not being ready.

"I said I'd pick you up at ten because I knew you'd be late." Thomas quipped, looking at her bathrobe and stocking feet.

"Yeah, well. Some things never change." Alyssa smiled.

"We don't have to be there until eleven so you're lucky. But get moving," he nudged his way in and nodded in the direction of the bathroom.

Be where? She thought.

* * *

The drive was passed in relative silence. As Thomas navigated his way back through the streets of his childhood, Alyssa felt a strangeness in the car that was similar to the strangeness in her cousin's voice the night before, still a quality she couldn't pinpoint. The street signs that they passed meant nothing to her. Especially since Darlene lived in Goffstown. They were going to the mall to window shop. Alyssa thought that maybe Thomas had errands that brought him into this part of Manchester.

After making a left hand turn onto an almost hidden fork in the road, something did look familiar. The sign indicated they were on Donald Street. They slowed in front of a white and brown split-level ranch with a one-car garage. Alyssa recognized it immediately. What made Thomas want to drive to his childhood home? Thomas turned to Alyssa for the first time since leaving her house.

"Surprise!" He beamed.

"Huh?" She stared back at her cousin's amusement.

"The big news." Thomas plucked his key from the ignition and leapt out of the car before Alyssa could even ask him what this had to do with the big news.

He beckoned Alyssa to follow. What the hell, I know where I am at least. She stepped out of the car and followed him up the driveway through the open garage door although she didn't recognize the car parked inside.

They passed through a basement mudroom and Alyssa found herself unable to continue. Feelings of déjà vu, panic, and dread attacked her body and turned her stomach sour.

The walls are decorated by a motif identical to one she saw fifteen years ago. One she saw for what was thought to be the last time. The glossy white walls were the perfect canvases for the brightly colored and larger than life billiard balls, pool cues, and other game room accessories expertly painted in amazing detail. She dared to reach out and touch it's glossy surface to convince herself it was painted on and not a decal. In the corner was a Space Race pinball machine identical to the one that Alyssa had reached her highest score ever on at nine years old.

Thomas turned around to see that Alyssa was still stuck in the doorway to the game room. It felt familiar for him to retrace his steps and take his younger cousin's hand. As they walked past the pinball machine, Alyssa was again halted. Pressing her finger on the left paddle button, feeling the cool chrome of the side of game top against the heel of her hand. The flashing orange LED screen right above the Plexiglas game top became a curious sight. It showed the current High Score, flashing and scrolling repeatedly. AMD 02/19/86 SPACE RACE MASTER 99,148,235,670.

"Yes, your score is still the highest. Now let's get upstairs. Darlene is waiting." Thomas assumed the big brother role and half dragged her up the stairs.

"Tommy, didn't your parent's ship it to Uruguay when they sold the house?" Her own voice sounded so far away she almost wasn't sure whether she was really speaking.

"No they didn't, let's just go." He tightened his grip on her hand and continued to climb the stairs.

At the top of the stairs, Alyssa rested on the top step for a moment to clear her head. She closed her eyes and opened them slowly. Thomas was talking to her but only his lips were moving. The sound of waves crashing filled her ears and she closed her eyes slowly once more.

* * *

Alyssa saw herself slinging her purse over her shoulder. She clomped walked across the basement. The wall opposite the pinball machine was different. She remembered there used to be a built in bookshelf in the corner. Now there was a door. She ran her hand along its smooth white finish. Maybe Darlene had a closet framed out during her renovations? I thought. But she knew she was making excuses. She touched the doorknob and felt a tingle engulf her hand. The tingle slowly moved up her arm and warmed her body. She started to feel light headed again but fainting would not be the result this time.

Alyssa turned the knob slowly and found the door locked. She didn't really need to see what was in there anyway. After all, it was just a closet. She let the knob spring back into position and took a step back and glanced around the room to make sure no one was watching her act so fruity.

A subtle click sounded and she turned back towards the door. It was open a crack. She didn't hear her cousin upstairs. They're probably still in the attic, she thought. For a moment she felt foolish, why in the world was she snooping in a closet? This is absurd, she thought. She turned back towards the stairs. Curiosity took over and she turned back towards the partially opened door. After still not hearing anything from upstairs she dared to explore the open door. She was holding her breath. The reason was still to be determined. She placed her hand on the doorknob once more, she first felt and then heard a faint hum coming from the closet.

As she opened the door nothing could prepare her for what she saw. Nothing could prepare her for what she was about to experience.

Instead of the predictable clothes hanging from a rod, or boxes stacked on top of each other, she saw a narrow, curved, concrete set of stairs that reminded her of a passage leading to a dungeon. Instead of flaming torches on the wall, she found a single, bare, blue light bulb jutting from a little niche on the right side of the curved wall.

Alyssa was sure that one little peek wouldn't cause any trouble. Her cousin, whom she was supposed to be spending quality time with, was in the attic with his friend. Doing what, she neither had an idea nor cared.

As she stepped into the stairwell, the door closed behind her but the blaring blue bulb was enough to light her way. A few steps from the bottom she saw what looked like a door except that there was no handle. She turned around and climbed the cool, smooth, concrete stairs, and found that the door that closed behind her had no handle on its reverse side. Rather than panic, she slowly descended the stairs and upon reaching the bottom step, the door in front of her clicked and opened with a slow hydraulic hiss.

A high-ceilinged room with rows of fluorescent lights greeted her. Every surface within view was a dull, matte, industrial gray reminiscent of the painted cinderblock walls in an elementary school bathroom. She stepped out of the doorway to get a better look around and the door closed silently behind her. From this end, the whir of a generator or maybe the circulation system was all that she could hear.

Reaching a hand back towards the door, she found it locked as the door upstairs was the first time. She released the handle and took a step back, expecting the door to release like last time. When it didn't Alyssa looked around for another way out. It seemed like she was in an underground garage of sorts. Thoughts of the secret lab from her childhood wandered to the forefront of her mind.

She approached a door at the far end of the building with a bare red light bulb perched above it. Its bloodshot eye cast a threatening glare at all those who dared pass within its view. The lever turned easily when she applied pressure and opened, spilling the bright sun of high noon upon her unshielded eyes. She stepped out and looked around. She wasn't familiar with this part of the city. The door closed behind her with her purse strap caught on its inner handle. She tried to pull it free but the door was tightly sealed.

"What is with the fuckin' doors around here?" Alyssa shouted at no one. Tugging on her purse in a futile show of strength she looked like she was having convulsions against the door.

Not wanting to get caught for snooping, she just wanted to get back to the front of the house, sneak back through, get her purse. But first, she had to find some rocks to prop the doors open with.

* * *

Ok, where the hell's the car? Alyssa thought. It's been forever, why can't I find the car? She glanced at her watch and tilted her arm up to the light. The LCD display flashed 88:88. "This is a brand new watch." She growled beneath her breath.

She walked a bit further trying to find a friendly face to approach for directions. She was starting to get a bad feeling. No one would acknowledge her. No one would even look her in the eye.

She found an average-looking man sitting in his SUV reading the paper. She knew this wasn't the smartest thing she could do, approaching a vehicle, but it wasn't running so that was one positive in the situation. Still, she would take care to keep her distance.

"Pardon me, sir?" Alyssa stood an arm length from the vehicle and waited patiently to be acknowledged. When he looked up, she fought off an attack of giddy girlish giggles. She disregarded it as imagination; she was not going to succumb to the fanatic tendencies people develop in those situations. "I'm looking to get back to Donald Street. I know I'm close, if you could just point me in the right direction? That would be just fine."

"Donald Street?" The familiar stranger looked confused.

"Yes. I was just at fifteen Donald Street a few minutes ago. I just need to get turned back to the right direction."

"There's no Donald Street, that I know of, anywhere in Northdale. You're not from around here, are you?"

"What do you mean? I grew up in Manchester. I used to know this city like the back of my hand. What do you mean Northdale?"

The gentleman looked at Alyssa curiously before continuing. "Name's Steve. Get in, I'll help you clear this up." His hand was extended through the window; the newspaper he was reading was tossed onto the backseat.

"Really, that's kind of you... umm... Steve, but I don't need a ride. Just directions'll be fine. I don't want to put you out." Alyssa took a step back from the SUV and looked around. If she needed to make a scene, it would help if there were people around to witness it.

"Suit yourself. There is no Donald Street in Northdale. I have never heard of Manchester. That's all I can say. If you need more help, I'll be around." He reached for his paper off the back seat and returned to his reading.

"Okay then. Thanks I guess." Alyssa walked off down the street, her watch still blinking 88:88. She turned to learn the details of the vehicle, just in case he turned out to be a nuisance later. The license plate was missing from the front bumper but she was able to discern that it was a brown Jeep Cherokee. She could certainly remember what the guy looked like. He looked like Stephen King for Pete's sake. Imagine, bumping to Stephen King. For real. She couldn't even imagine the possibility but she found herself irked by the fact that this imposter was obviously milking the resemblance.

The clock on the nearby bank sign said 10:42am. How could that be? She had arrived, courtesy of Thomas, at Darlene's house at eleven am sharp. She should know better to think those signs were ever right. Still it would give her an idea as to how much time was passing.

Tom and Dee are going to be so mad. I can't believe I'm locked out. I am so dead it's not even funny.

She could feel the man at the newsstand looking at her. Every time she would turn to meet his eyes, he would turn away and continue fixing up his papers. She grabbed her sunglasses from her sweatshirt pocket and put them on. There was something unusual about this guy and she was damned if she would walk around oblivious. She had a bad feeling about this place. One that made the hair on her arms stand up and her stomach tighten.

The sunglasses helped a bit and except for the blue-gray tint they cast on everything she could at least see the people that were staring behind her back.

The man at the newsstand had unusual eyes. Even from a distance, they appeared red. If he would only step out of the shadows from his awning, she could see his face better. It was a moot point right now. She figured it was close to noontime. All she wanted to do was get back to her cousin and his friend and go for lunch.

* * *

Alyssa bumped into her friend "Steve" again when she neared what looked like a park. He was still reading the newspaper, still in his brown Jeep Cherokee, parked on the side of a different street.

"Hi there, Alyssa." He called when she passed his Jeep. She was hoping he would let her pass in silence.

"How do you know my name?" She shot back. She recklessly approached the Jeep, placed her elbows on the door before attempting her verbal attack. "I never told you my name. Who the hell are you?"

"Come on, Lyss. You know who I am. I'm the only one who knows what's going on around here. Why don't you come for a ride? I'll explain everything. They already know you're here so it's just a matter of time."

"What the hell are you talking about Steve? If that's your real name. Now you're just freaking me out. What the hell is going on here?" Alyssa pounded her fist on the edge of the window.

"It'll be dark soon." He whispered

"Just answer me and I'll be on my way." Alyssa crossed her arms over her chest and cocked her hips towards the jeep.

"Get in the car. Now."

The sternness in his voice made her drop her tough-girl act. She glanced at her watch out of reflex and found that it was still 88:88. Within moments, she noticed the sun tumbling from its apex to hover near the horizon. She looked through the window at the clock on the dash. She watched, as the digital numbers jumped ahead. First a minute, then an hour, then it read 5:45. Her day was becoming stranger by the moment.

First a secret lab.

Second, meeting Stephen King?

Now, six hours pass in ten seconds!

She crossed in front of the late model Jeep and opened the passenger door. There was a travel bag in the front seat. Steve pulled it aside and made room for her. His hand was already reaching for the key left patiently in the ignition, as if he had just been waiting for her with no other plans all day. Her anxiety slowly passed and disbelief moved in to take its place as he told her his story.

* * *

"Okay, now wait a minute." Alyssa interrupted. "You're telling me that this town is full of vampires?"

"Lower your voice. This is serious. They are joining to discuss their plans for you." Steve whispered.

"Who do I look like, Buffy the Vampire Slayer? This is whacked!" She scoffed.

"No, but you'll have to do. I have a plan but I can't do it by myself. Now listen. Listen very carefully."

Alyssa rolled her eyes and listened with disinterest. Until the details unfolded, she thought this was all a joke. Her back hurt. Her head was throbbing. There had to be a reasonable explanation for all this.

"Oh yeah, so I just stepped into some kinda worm hole? Is that what you're telling me? This is bullshit. Do you really think I'm that stupid? Lemme just get this straight. I walked into a time warp that brought me to a town that's run by vampires. You say you have the recipe for a secret elixir that will end their rule but you need my help to deliver the fatal doses? What kinda fool do you take me for? I'm outta here."

Alyssa reached for the handle to open the door when Steve pressed the door lock button on his armrest. She whipped her head in his direction and looked at him with an angry Elvis snarl. She toggled the lock on her door and released the latch.

"You know, I used to try to get every one of your books I could get my hands on. I thought you were cool. Now I just think you're fucked up." Before Alyssa was able to move any further, the red-eyed man from the newsstand flung her door open. She shrieked and kicked her foot at him. He appeared unprepared that she would defend herself. Steve grabbed her with one arm around the shoulders and drove off, leaving a black skin on the pavement.

"Alright, what do I have to do?" If the easiest way out of this nightmare was to cooperate, then so be it.

12