Surprise Of A Lifetime

Story Info
He searched five years to find her.
7.1k words
4.21
26.7k
6
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He was standing at the corner of the town square, watching her cross the street from the parking deck. She held her stomach carefully as she walked, holding her clothes away from her skin, even as she hugged the coat closer to her body against the autumn chill. Oh yes, he remembered, she'd had surgery this summer, and the scar was still sensitive. He'd heard the news through the grapevine, just when his plans were ready to set in motion. He'd had to wait almost three months, but it was worth it. Soon all the waiting would be over.

There is that guy again, she thought, as she walked toward her office building. Lucy knew she'd seen him somewhere, but just couldn't remember where. Not for the first time this month, she wondered why he was always standing on the corner when she arrived at work.

Casually looking over her shoulder as she reached for her keys, she studied him. He was handsome, in a rugged, middle-aged way. Very tall, about 6'4" and sturdily built, with dark wavy hair, a little sparse at the tonsure, deep amber eyes and lots of muscles, but not the kind from the gym. These muscles were from working hard, outdoors, every day. He appeared respectable, employed and well groomed - not your average stalker, she laughed to herself.

Lucy thought to ask her co-workers if they recognized him, but reluctantly she admitted that she didn't want to share him with anyone, yet. Now that she was back to work after that dreadful emergency surgery, all she wanted was for people to stop discussing her personal life. "Enough drama, already!" she groaned, after the fifth 'checking in' call she'd received last night.

Not one to shy from a challenge, Lucy decided that the best course of action, if she saw him again, was to confront him, make him tell her why he was watching her. It would probably scare him off, but it might help her understand those disturbing sexual dreams that started soon after she'd first noticed him. The dreams were so real, so intensely satisfying, but they also frightened her. She didn't like feeling out of control, especially since the surgery, when nothing had been within her control for months.

The man watched her vanish from his sight into the building, as she did every day. He quickly walked to his office to make the most important call of his life. Thankfully, he had the cooperation of her boss and co-workers to help his plan succeed.

The office today was in its usual state of crisis, and it was several minutes before she realized that she had yet to remove her coat. She hung it on the hook and suddenly the déjà vu hit-she remembered the guy! He was one of the men she had dated in Indiana before meeting her last boyfriend, Joshua.

"What was he doing here? And what was his name? Alec, or Alex, or Allen Something, oh yeah, Alex Cardwell. Well, that mystery solved, but leaving the more important question - why is he here?"

Her thoughts raced as she tried to recall their one date. He'd taken her to the most expensive restaurant in that small Indiana town, but they both agreed the food was awful. They drove around the countryside, found a small ice cream stand and shared a banana split. When he drove her back to the lot where she'd left her car, neither one wanted the evening to end. They talked for hours, but she was reluctant to ask him to her place on the first date. It's not that she was a prude or anything, but she didn't want to screw up such a nicely budding relationship with sex too soon. Her past history of failed relationships proved the consequences of that action. When they finally said good night, he asked her for a second date the next evening - dinner and dancing in Dayton. Her body had tingled at the thought of being held tightly in his arms on the dance floor. The timbre of his voice, the intoxicating smell of his cologne, and the endearing dimple that was his smile's constant companion combined to convince her that a second date was definitely called for.

Back in the present, the phone rang, startling her from the sexual reverie that had begun to build deep in her belly. She ignored the ringing, knowing the receptionist would take a message.

Continuing down memory lane, she flashed back to the last message she'd received from Alex, and frowned. The hopeful spark of new love was extinguished when she read the email from him the next day.

"I must go out of town immediately for some personal business," he wrote stiffly. "I'll write you when I return."

Alex had never written back. His personal business was probably a wife, she had thought bitterly. Three months later she'd met Joshua. She wrote Alex a final, no-nonsense message that she was involved with someone and didn't want to hear from him, and blocked him from her address book. She firmly believed in only one relationship at a time, and only with single, unattached men.

Sandy, her office mate, shook her from her reverie with a phone message flapping in her face. "Guess someone didn't wake up yet this morning," Sandy said teasingly. "This message was waiting for you at the front desk."

Sandy watched curiously as Lucy unfolded and read the note.

Dear Lucy, Do you remember our banana split on that sultry July evening in Richmond? I have just moved to town and you are the only person I know in Illinois. Could we meet for lunch today? Call me, please? Alex

Sandy tried to read the note upside down and gave up. "Well," she cried, "who's it from?"

Lucy laughed at her brazen curiosity and told her briefly about what she remembered of Alex. "Do you think I should go?" she asked.

"Hell, yes you should go," cried Sandy, "It's your first date in a year, right? Call him!"

Lucy gave in, "Okay, okay, I'll go. I'll call him right now." Nervously, she counted the rings, and her hand shook when she heard his voice again. Even after almost five years, the deep, soothing baritone resonated in her memory.

Alex was elated! His heart pounding, he forced himself to speak calmly to the woman he'd searched five long years to find. She sounded nervous, he thought, but was trying to put on a brave show, as he knew she would. She asked if they could go to a downtown restaurant, since she had appointments in the early afternoon. He balked, startled at the request. He needed her to get into his car if his plan was to succeed. He heard Sandy come to his rescue, telling Lucy that both her afternoon appointments had cancelled. Alex laughed silently when he heard Lucy swear under her breath, knowing how much she disliked her routine upset.

"How about I pick you up at 12:30pm and we'll go to Carlucci's." He held his breath until she agreed.

At 12:15pm, Lucy brushed her teeth and combed her hair before putting on her coat again. She couldn't believe her reaction to his voice. Her legs felt wobbly and her panties felt tight. Angry with herself for reacting this way to a man who'd so callously ignored her five years ago, she harnessed that feeling. Anger helped deflect the feelings of rejection. Confident she was in control of her emotions, she prepared for her lunch date.

"Have a great time," Sandy yelled as Lucy marched out the door.

"I won't be gone long," said Lucy. She heard Sandy chuckle, but didn't stop to ask what was so funny. As she walked downstairs to the office mailboxes, Lucy was surprised to see her boss and some other co-workers standing around.

"I thought you'd all be at lunch already," she said.

"We just wanted to see what someone being treated to Carlucci's for lunch looks like," her boss joked.

She feigned indignation that Sandy had told everyone, but teasing was par for the course; her co-workers were her friends. They cared about her, and knew her loneliness since her breakup with Joshua. Not than any of them liked him, but they tried to be supportive as she worked through the doomed relationship. She told them all she'd bring back a doggy bag for them to share. Everyone laughed, but then her boss said the strangest thing as he shooed her out the door.

"Take as long as you like, Lucy, even the rest of the day if you want."

Lucy smiled a bewildered thank you, and headed for the steps. Looking out to the street, her jaw dropped. There was Alex with a LIMO, for God's sake, and a bouquet of flowers in his hands. She heard a sound behind her, and blushed to know that her friends had followed her out of the building and were watching the scene.

Alex walked up the steps to meet her. He handed the flowers to her as he leaned in to kiss her cheek. She blushed even more, but the smile growing on Lucy's face told him she liked this attention. Taking her hand, he led her down to the limo. Looking back, Lucy saw her friends waving as they drove away.

"It worked!" Alex thought triumphantly. He could hardly believe it had been so easy. "It certainly pays to make friends with the boss," he thought to himself. "Now for the hard part, convincing her I'm not an axe-murderer or kidnapper."

Watching her face carefully as she examined the inside of the car, Alex smiled at the dumbfounded expression she wore.

"I've never been in a limo before," she told him shyly. "I can't believe it's really you, Alex. I thought you'd forgotten all about me. What's all this about? How did you find me? I don't understand what's happening."

The anxiety in her voice told Alex he had to get a grip on the situation. He gently grasped her hand to calm her.

"First, I want you to know that your boss knows what we're doing today. Your friends at work helped make this happen for us," he told her. "Second, I'll explain everything, but you have to be patient. We'll have lunch, and afterwards I'll answer all your questions. Until then, sit back, relax, and let's get to know each other again, ok?"

"Okay," she agreed, "but..."

"No buts," said Alex. "Promise to be patient, and I promise to explain it all."

She promised, but in her head she was starting to worry. "Why didn't I get that cell phone!" she thought frantically. "I could have had 911 on speed dial instead of putting all my trust in someone I dated one night five years ago." She looked into his face and saw nothing but sincerity, and a good deal of amusement. It occurred to her that she should be more scared, but realized that in her heart, she knew he would never hurt her.

"What's so funny?" she asked grumpily, ashamed at her wariness.

Alex answered, trying not to laugh out loud. "I love watching every thought flash across your face," he said. "You are a little frightened. You think you want to call for help, but since your boss knows where you are, there's no need, and that makes you grumpy. Who needs TV with your beautiful face to entertain me?"

"Glad I'm so transparent," she grumbled.

He brought her hand up to his lips to kiss. "I wouldn't have it any other way," he said. Her perfume wafted to his nose, triggering a flash of memory. "She still wore the same perfume," he groaned inwardly, "the one that makes me hard every time I walk by the perfume counter of a department store." He forced himself back to the present as the limo pulled up to the front door of Carlucci's restaurant.

Alex hopped out to open Lucy's door. The maitre 'd escorted them to a private table behind a velvet curtain. Alex watched Lucy closely. Her face was a picture of surprise and delight. He had prepared the room himself. On a side table sat a vase for the flowers he'd given her. He took the flowers from her unresisting hands to place them in the vase. The dining table was decorated with beautiful autumn flowers and set with the most delicate porcelain and sterling he could find. He led her to a chair, and chuckled again at her expression.

"Stop laughing at me," she complained with a smile. "Honestly, Alex, what's all this about?"

"Unh, Unh, Unh," he whispered, "Patience is a virtue. Eat first, then talk."

Oh my God, she thought, I'm so freaking out! The dishes on the table were a set she'd drooled over in the local antique mall, but at $800, they were not destined for her cupboards. And the silver! Did he know that it was her grandmother's pattern? "My God, you've been talking to my mother!" she accused. "Alex, this is scaring me a little. What's going on here?"

She searched his face, fearing to see some horrible joke being played out, but saw nothing but honesty and caring, and that irresistible dimple. She closed her eyes, drew a deep breath and told herself that patience was indeed a virtue, but one she sorely lacked. After all this effort, he deserves a little slack, she reasoned.

Lunch was finally over, and Lucy had actually relaxed enough to truly enjoy the swordfish with mango salsa, Waldorf salad and crème Brule. One cup of coffee, a quick trip to the loo, and they were back in the limo. Alex composed himself for the verbal onslaught he expected from Lucy, but she was strangely silent as they buckled their seat belts.

"Lucy, honey," he began. She looked up at him with those beautiful green eyes. "I..., well, I guess it's time for some explanations. But before I get started, I need you to agree to this one thing."

"What thing?"

"If you'll look out the window, you'll see the limo isn't headed downtown. It's headed to the freeway," he stated calmly.

"Oh, shit, I knew it," she cried. "Turn it around now!"

"I can't do that, honey."

"Why the hell not?" she demanded.

"I can't turn it around because I don't want you to leave me. Ever. There, I said it."

"Well, get a grip, buddy. I have no intention of staying with a kidnapper!" Lucy banged her fist against the glass partition in the limo. Tears of fear and frustration formed in her eyes, blurring her vision and making her hands shake. She saw Alex reach for her and plunged across the car to the other seat. "Stay away from me," she cried.

Alex cringed at the fear in her voice. "I've blown it," he whispered dismally, "but I can still fix it. I know I can." He reached for her again, and caught her hands just before they raked his face.

"Lucy, darling, listen to me for just a minute. Do you think your friends would have let me take you if they didn't trust me? If you don't like what I have to say, I'll take you back to work immediately, okay? Please? Please?"

He took her silence for acquiescence and began his long planned arguments as the limo continued its journey north. "Lucy, remember our first date?"

"Our ONLY date, you freak!" she shouted.

He put out his hand to quell her outrage and continued. "Our date was the highlight of my life, and has been until today. That day I knew that I had found the woman of my dreams."

She snuffled angrily, but stayed quiet, mollified by his calm, soothing tone and the soft caress of his thumb against her hand.

"I had no idea that I could fall so passionately in love with someone in just a few hours, but it happened, and it was real. I loved every thing about you, from your beautiful smile to your gorgeous full body. But more importantly, I fell in love with your quick wit, your obvious passion for your career, and your ardent, if somewhat uninformed left-wing politics. I loved your self-critical moments, the insecurity about your appearance, the tender way you talked about your dog as if she were your child, and I loved the truly passionate way you responded to my kisses. I knew that I'd found the right person for me, against all hope." He watched her face carefully, noting how her tears had stopped, and her expression softened from anger and fear to bewilderment.

"Go on," she said.

His relief at her response was unbounded. "I'm finally getting through to her," he said silently.

"In our conversations that evening, you told me things about yourself that I know you had never revealed to anyone before, and I found myself desperately needing to hear more. I was shocked to hear myself doing the same thing, telling you intimate details of my life like you were a confessor, yet without any feeling of shame or judgment. That's when I knew you and I belonged together forever. I believed in my heart that that night was only the first of the rest of our lives, and I left you at your car knowing I'd see you in less than 12 hours to begin our new life together. Then, as I began to drive away, my cell rang." He stopped talking and closed his eyes, as if remembering a moment too painful to bear.

Lucy felt her heart swell at the sight, and reached out to grasp his hand. "It's okay, Alex. I'll stay to hear the rest," she said gently. "Who was on the phone?"

"It was the police. They found my daughter's body in the car I'd given her for her sixteenth birthday, two weeks before. The note said that she couldn't bear being the cause of her parent's divorce. She killed herself, Lucy, and I was so involved in my own life, I couldn't see her pain."

Lucy watched the tears stream down Alex's face. She vacillated between feelings of fear and compassion, and then slowly moved to sit beside him. She put her arms around his shoulders as his head slowly sank into her lap. The sobs choked him, racking his body in spasms until, finally spent; he lifted his head and looked into her eyes. Lucy's eyes were filled with tears of empathy and caring, just as he imagined they would be.

"Tell me the rest of it, Alex."

He gazed at her in amazement and hope, realizing that after five years, he'd finally, finally been able to cry over Janice's death.

"Her mother and I had divorced over two years prior to her death, and it had nothing to do with her. It was my ex-wife's cheating that broke up the marriage. Her infidelities made me question my worth as a man and a father, which Janice apparently felt. In my grief, I believed my inability to care for my daughter's emotional needs meant that I was unworthy of love. I was afraid to start a relationship with you until I could believe myself worthy again. Then I got the message about your new boyfriend. I was devastated, and abandoned any hope of a making a life with you."

"I lived with this terrible guilt for two years, until my brother forced me to go to counseling. Once I began therapy, I realized that I had punished you by not asking for your support. I knew that I had to find a way to apologize. I had to find you and explain why I never wrote back or called. It took three years and a lot of phone calls, but I finally found you."

He sat back on the seat. "That's it. That's my explanation. I'll take you back to work now."

Lucy lifted his chin to look into his eyes. "I don't want to go back to work now," she said with a small smile. "I want to know where we're going." Her smile broadened at the gasp of astonishment on his face, and then she gasped herself when he pulled her roughly into a giant bear hug. "Easy, boy. Easy now. Breathing is a good thing." She felt him relax his grip instantly, but he didn't let her go. Her scar was aching dreadfully, but she didn't want to shatter this delicate moment for any reason.

Thinking about the surgery made her tense up, and she began to think of what was possibly to come later. In all that had happened so far today, she had yet to consider the consequences of the events. Now her insecurities and inhibitions came crashing down on her like a brick shower. The 'Lucy in control' mask was failing her miserably today.

Alex was still hugging her, but his breathing was slowing and his grip was slackening. "He's falling asleep, and no wonder, after all this drama," she thought to herself. She allowed his hands to slip from her waist and gently turned him to lie along the seat cushions. With his head returned gently in her lap, she rubbed his temple and caressed his chest and arms until he took a huge breath and fell deeply asleep.

She settled more comfortably into the seat and, in her meticulous way, started to itemize the things that could go wrong during the next several hours. He had told her he loved her, and she had no idea how to respond. Even after all the weight she'd lost after the operation, she was still fat, an obvious turn-off. Her physical attributes, while never many, had dwindled with the surgery to a tiny few in her mind. The scar she toted was 20 inches long, from breast to pubis, red and twisted, thick as twine in some places.

12