Taken

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Over and over again, the strangers investigated the cells, the sounds echoin down to where I held what little breath I had left. Wet tears spilled down my cheeks. I was unsure if I wanted em to find me or not. I lay still, watchin the door and waitin fer the inevitable, certain that they would kill me when they did find me. What else would barbarians do?

"And the last one?"

The door rattled. "Ha! Tis locked. Do ye still have those keys ye found by the stairway?"

"Aye. Ready yer sword just in case. Tis been good knowin ye if this is our end."

A key turned in the lock, there was a moment of silence, and then the door flung open. Two burly men raced into the room yellin, "Fer Lord Bryce!," their swords raised high. I closed my eyes and prayed my end would be swift. I heard their boots scufflin as they stumbled to a stop, their gasps loud in the otherwise silent room.

I felt the heat of their bodies as they crouched down.

"Is she alive?" one man whispered, his voice shaky.

He sounded more scared of findin a dead lass than a room full of live soldiers. I wanted to laugh. But my body was stiff from havin lain in the same position fer so long. I could barely draw a breath anymore. Maybe I could just pretend... They would leave me alone to die in peace.

One of the men gently grasped my shoulder, his quick breaths rustlin my matted hair. He rolled me onto my back, and I groaned in pain. He jumped back, releasin his hold.

"The keys, Godfrey! Go! Git water and a blanket! Dun let Lord Bryce know." There was a jangle of keys. The rough voice softened as he spoke to me, "Ye'll be alright now, lass. I willna hurt ye."

My breath escaped in a ragged whimper. Tears filled my eyes once more. I knew not what awaited me outside that door, but it had to be better than the torture of bein left to die like a wounded animal in a fergotten trap.

Large hands lifted my wrists, releasin the metal that had secured em fer so long. I felt weightless as he laid my arms at my sides and moved down to release my ankles.

Godfrey returned, pantin. "Marie is waitin fer us. She has a room where we can take the lass."

I moaned as thick material covered me. Then I was risin from the floor...floatin. Bein held tight against a hard but movin surface. A warm surface. Thoughts drifted through my hazy brain that I had been saved. And then nothin existed anymore except peace.

###

I sighed, no longer feelin any pain and wonderin if I had finally died.

"Welcome back, lass."

My eyelids fluttered open at the sound of the cheery, feminine voice. A round face with blue eyes, ruddy cheeks, and a wide smile hovered over mine. Was she an angel?

She smiled. I smiled.

And then I blinked, her words registerin. Welcome back? Back to where?

Instinct kicked in. I dug the heels of my hands and feet into the soft mattress beneath me, pushin away. Where was I? Who was this woman?

"Dun be afraid!" The woman's hands touched my shoulders.

I screamed, the sound scratchy and foreign to me.

"Please calm down. He'll hear ye!"

I screamed, louder this time, not carin who heard me.

A door slammed against a wall nearby.

"Explain this confounded racket!" a masculine voice roared.

My eyes darted around to find the source of the new voice. The woman gasped, and then er face was replaced with that of a man. A firm jaw with a dustin of dark stubble, green eyes above a narrow nose, and a mouth set into a hard line stared back. He slowly looked over my face, his mouth twistin now, his head tiltin to the side.

I choked back another scream and tried to move away, only to hit a wall with my head. Findin no escape, I curled into a ball and whimpered.

"Ye're scarin er, my lord." The woman's voice was no longer cheery but shaky.

"I'm scarin er? She screamed when she saw ye." A deep laugh echoed over my head.

"What are ye doin down here, my lord?"

"Tis my castle! I can go wherever I please," he growled. "The walls talk. Lots'a whisperin from yer lasses upstairs. I knew ye was hidin somethin from me. Who the bloody hell is she?"

"Tristan and Godfrey..." was all the woman got out before the man roared again.

"I'll deal with em first, then ye!" he shouted and then stomped out of the room.

"And that, my lass, would be Lord Bryce." The woman sighed, shakin er head. She dipped a cloth into a bowl, wrung it out, and then approached with a familiarity like she was used to takin care of me. Before I could stop er, she gently wiped the rag across my forehead and cheeks.

I wanted to close my eyes from the warmth of the cloth, but I was afraid to lose sight of this stranger, as kind as she seemed to be. Could I truly trust er? I had no means to defend myself if need be. Yit I didna feel as if my life were in danger. And I felt rested. More than I ever had in my life.

"Do ye have a name, lass?" The woman brushed a strand of hair away from my forehead and smiled at me. "My name is Marie."

I blinked at er, opened my mouth to speak but nothin came out.

She turned and retrieved a cup from the table beside the bed, then held it up to my mouth. "Drink, lass. Tis just water."

I obeyed, my throat suddenly parched. Water spilled from my lips, and I held my breath, my eyes dartin up to Marie.

"Tis okay." She dabbed at my mouth with a dry cloth and held the cup to my lips again.

I gulped down the lukewarm liquid, finally closin my eyes in relief. A moan escaped as the cup was removed and I sunk back into the soft beddin.

"Sleep, sweet lass." Marie's hand was warm against my cheek. "Ye'll be safe here."

###

I could hear his heavy breathin.

It took every ounce of strength to feign sleep and not shoot upright in fear. I was on my side, my back to im. And while it would have just been easy to lay here until he left, I felt a cool breeze against my legs. Knew that the covers on the bed no longer covered em, and the clean, nightdress I wore had bunched up. I wondered how much of my skin was revealed, but I dared not move to find out.

A door opened and closed. I slowly let out my breath and prepared to grab the blanket again, but there was a gasp and a loud thump, as if a body had backed up against the wooden door suddenly.

"My lord! I didna know ye were here." Marie's voice was barely a whisper.

"Tis my castle." The soft tone belied the strictness of the comment.

I swallowed a growl of disgust. It was his fault I was here!

"Aye, my lord. Would ye like me to leave?"

I sucked in my breath, my eyes open now, starin at the far wall. No! I wanted to tell her his men had kidnapped me and locked me away. That if she left, he'd only return me to the dungeons to die.

"No. Marie, who is this lass?" Lord Bryce asked, his voice low and even. He sounded...curious, not angry as he had when he'd first found me.

"We dun know, my lord. Tristan and Godfrey..."

"Aye, I know. They found er in the dungeon."

"Surely they didna willin leave er—"

"Surely they did. Why else would she still be here?" He groaned. "So I've inherited a prisoner as well as a castle from my dear brother. My brother who has abandoned his senses as well as his lands."

His brother? I was utterly confused now. Lord Bryce was not responsible for my current state? I didna understand this inheritance he spoke of.

"The bastard!" Marie's curse was whispered but I heard it loud and clear.

"Has she spoken at'll? A name? A reason?"

"I'm sorry, my lord. I'm surprised she's alive at'll, as malnourished as she was. Do ye know how long ago yer brother disappeared?"

"No. The messenger just said he was returnin from deliverin a message to another kingdom and the castle was deserted. He'd been gone several weeks. I cana imagine what my brother has done. Why he would have a young lass like er in his dungeon. Surely he knew she wouldna survive alone."

"Maybe they forgot she was there." Marie's voice sounded hopeful, which was odd that anyone would hope someone like me had been left behind to die.

"But why? There was evidence of other prisoners at one time. Why take the rest but leave er?" Lord Bryce's voice drew closer as he spoke.

I slowly let out my breath and prayed he thought I was still sleepin.

"I dun know, my lord." Marie's voice was closer as well.

I felt like a bug bein examined by curious children. Would they torture me? Force me to explain?

I didna know the men who had captured me. And I didna know the men who had raped those lasses and paid to take em away. I only knew why I was left behind. But I wasna about to tell em that. Not at least until I got a better grasp on my new situation. Especially since it was his brother's castle. Who knew how close of a monster this Lord Bryce was.

"If she willna speak, if she willna give us answers, then put er to work once she is well."

"Aye, my lord."

Someone sat on the bed beside me, and the door opened and closed again.

"He is gone, ye can stop pretendin, lass." Marie pulled the blanket up over my hip and patted me there. "He's not all that bad. More bark than bite. But tis his castle now, so what he says goes. I'll find ye some clothes. Somethin easy to do to keep ye away from the soldiers. In the meantime, get some more rest. I'll bring ye a bite to eat. Ye'll be fine with us. Oh, and we must give ye a name soon. It will be no good callin ye 'dungeon lass' as the other servants have begun to. No, that wun do at'll."

###

Within two weeks, I was seen to be fit enough to get up and be put to some use. I stood in the open doorway to one of the dozens of cells in the dungeon. This was the only job they could find fer me? Cleanin out the cells where I'd been imprisoned fer God-knew-how-long until I was left fer dead?

I sighed and shuffled forward, draggin a pile of burlap bags and a pitchfork. At least they had given me the ring of keys. It helped to settle my mind that I wouldna get trapped in one of the rooms against my will again.

I spent the mornin shovelin smashed, rotten hay and filth into the bags, tyin em off with rope and leavin em in the hall outside the door. Men would come later and clear em away. Then I swept the dirt, sprinklin evergreen needles along the edges to freshen the air. When a room was completely cleaned out, I locked the door and moved on to the next one.

At dawn each mornin, I was roused from the same room and bed that Marie had nursed me back to health in. I was summoned at noon fer a meal. I worked until evenin when I could eat supper with the rest of the staff, and then worked some more until we would all retire to bed.

Despite still bein bound to the castle, twas a better existence than livin in the dungeon. I had clean clothes to wear, two solid meals a day, a soft bed to sleep in at night, and a roof over my head. Plus I had Marie lookin out fer me.

She had decided to name me Laila, insistin that I musta had a guardian angel lookin over me. I dared not to argue as I sometimes wondered so myself. And I didna speak besides the required courtesy when spoken to—which was rare. Most everyone just left me alone.

Some of the lasses insisted on callin me 'dumb dungeon lass' behind my back as a result. I didna let em know how much their words hurt me. Those same lasses stared down their noses at me as if they were more noble than I was. How silly of em. At the end of the day, no matter if we slept in the dungeons or a bed, we were all still slaves to Lord Bryce.

###

I had finished the cells in the East Hall the previous evenin. I was to start on the North Hall this mornin. Twasn't a horrible job, but it did bring back horrible memories. I cried the first several days as I cleaned up the hay, wonderin about the other lasses who had shared my cell. Were they still alive? Had they recovered from their torture? Were they livin as wives or concubines or been sold off again? And I wondered what I was to do after all of the cells were clean.

I was tyin an apron around my waist when a young lass with er hair hangin down over er shoulders, not braided and up, rushed into the servants' hall callin Marie's name over and over.

The older woman turned with a sigh from where she was discussin somethin with Cook. "Kenley? Ye had better hurry to yer station er I'll tan yer hide. And put yer hair up and cap on. Ye know how strict Lord Bryce can be if he sees ye like that."

"Tis Magge! She's violently ill! She cana stop throwin up!" Kenley, pressed a hand to er chest, er breathin loud and fast.

I hid a smile. I had met Kenley and Magge, but I didna know their actual responsibilities. Though I had heard enough through the normal chatter that they thought pretty highly of themselves fer workin in the upstairs while most of the women staff remained downstairs in the kitchens. They were also the two main lasses who disliked me fer some reason. I felt some justification that Kenley might possibly get in trouble fer not bein presentable to Lord Bryce.

"Oh bloody hell." Marie pushed away from the table and started toward the servants' quarters. She paused suddenly and turned back. "Kenley, take over Magge's post. I'll see to er shortly. Laila, grab that bucket. Fill it with water and follow me."

Kenley gaped at me, er eyes wide, er cheeks flushed. She stammered a bunch of gibberish as Marie shooed er away and glanced at Cook.

Cook just nodded, dipped a bucket in the trough, and handed it to me with a smile.

I smiled back, my way of sayin 'thank ye.' Ever since I had recovered after my rescue, I had felt a connection with er and Marie. Twas as if they had adopted me. They were my new family. And yit I wished they didna treat me so well. I dreaded the day when they would be ripped away from me.

I had never been upstairs except fer the short time when I had first been brought to the castle. I had lost count of the days since I'd been taken from my family and home. Since I had been found half-dead in my cell. Yit I was in a new cell of sorts, banished to the lower levels of the castle and forced to work. Now, twas like bein set free all over again.

My footsteps slowed as we ascended and passed an arched doorway leadin into the Great Hall. I caught a glimpse of colorful tapestries flankin a tall fireplace. A long wooden table with dozens of chairs on both sides filled the room. I dared to peak my head further into the room.

"Laila! Hurry!" Marie grabbed my arm and pulled me after er. "We must prepare Lord Bryce's room before he arises."

I gasped and tripped up the stairs, splashin water onto my skirt. Surely she didna expect...

Yit we continued to a third level and down a hall of closed doors. At the very end, before a narrow window lookin out onto the courtyard, Marie turned to me and lowered er voice.

"Do ye know how to start a fire?"

I nodded, my heart thumpin in my ears.

"Good. Light the fire, open the curtains, and fill the pitcher with water so he can bathe. The soldiers are boarded in the North Hall. Do the same in their rooms. Ye'll need to refill the bucket. Use the trough in the kitchen. Cook will help ye. When yer finished, return downstairs. Ye will be perfect fer the job as ye dun make a sound. Lord Bryce can be a brute if woken too early from his sleep. I'll worry about er other duties later."

Once more, I nodded and then reached fer the doorknob. I paused, though, when I felt Marie's hand on my arm.

"Ye'll do fine, lass. Ye're our blessin and savin grace today." She patted me on the cheek and then disappeared down the hall.

I took a deep breath and eased the door open. The room was dark and cool, yit not uncomfortably so even with the stone walls. But come winter, it would be a bitterly cold place to be without heat or the warmth of the blankets. I closed the door behind me then moved toward the fireplace, tryin not to glance at the massive four-poster bed.

The chamber was silent. I wished he'd snore so I knew he was still sleepin. I couldna imagine doin this while he watched me. Shivers raced up my back at the thought.

I swept away the ashes from last night's fire and gathered kindlin and wood from the basket on the hearth. After locatin the tinderbox, I struck the steel against flint with a shaky hand only to have the flint fall into the arranged pieces of wood. The second try was more successful. I closed my eyes fer a moment to regain my composure, and then rose to complete the rest of my duties.

The water jug filled, I pulled the curtains aside, tyin em off with the rope hangin from a hook on the wall. I knew I shouldna dawdle, but I couldna help starin out the window at the sunrise peekin over the far hills. Somewhere out there was my village. Or whatever remained of it. Had anyone survived the raid who had not been kidnapped?

I looked down and saw the courtyard was quiet. Yit there were plenty a soldiers millin about, still on duty from the night watch. If I tried to escape, there would be no chance fer me to get to the gate, much less past it, alive.

With a sigh, I stooped to retrieve the water bucket and continue on to the other rooms. Half of em would be occupied with the soldiers who would be wakin to start the day watch. The others would be empty, waitin for their occupants to return to sleep. I would have a fire ready for both groups of men.

"Ye're not Kenley."

The deep voice made me stumble back against the window with a loud gasp.

"Ye frighten easily. Come closer."

My knees wobbled as I approached the bed where Lord Bryce sat up, watchin me. The bedclothes were bunched around his waist. His upper half was bare and mostly cast in shadows, as was his face. Yit I could see that his mouth was pressed into a twisted line, as if he were contemplatin somethin. Then the corners turned up ever so slightly.

How long had he watched me? My hand automatically went to my head, and I frowned. I didna have a cap on, and my hair hung down. At least it was pulled into a braid. Maybe he'd forgive me this one time.

"Ye're the new lass, are ye not? What do they call ye?"

I swallowed and opened my mouth, but nothin came out.

"Speak up, lass."

"Laila, my lord," I managed to say. My voice was raspy. I wished I could scoop a drink of water from my bucket.

"Aye. Laila. Where is Kenley this mornin?"

I lowered my eyes to the floor. "At Magge's post, my lord. Magge is ill."

"Hmm. Ye have other duties, yit I am in need of some assistance. Please, complete whatever Marie has instructed then return here."

Fer just a moment, I almost said I was to return downstairs when I was finished. But somethin in the back of my mind told me that Lord Bryce's instructions trumped Marie's. And twas better to suffer er wrath than his.

"Aye, my lord." I nodded, grabbed the handle on the bucket, and hurried out of the room. The door swung closed a little too fast and smacked me in the arse, makin me jump.

Somehow, I made it to the North Hall and lit all the fires, filled the pitchers, and opened the curtains without wakin any of the soldiers. The bucket now empty, I returned to the East Hall and knocked on Lord Bryce's door.

"Enter."

The room was much warmer now that a fire burned brightly. Lord Bryce was still sittin up in bed. I left the bucket in the hall and closed the door. Then I stood with my hands clasped at my waist and waited.

After several long minutes, Lord Bryce finally said in a low whisper, "Come here, Laila."

My feet suddenly felt heavy, and twas an effort to move forward.

"Stop, just there. Turn to yer left. Relax yer arms. Good. Now, dun move."

There was a rustlin sound from the direction of the bed. I stared straight ahead at the fire, feelin the waves of heat against my face. Fer the longest time, nothin happened at'll. But then I heard the strangest noises. Low moans floated over the cracklin of the wood. But in between, there was another noise. I closed my eyes and strained to listen. It sounded like...slappin?