Taking a Chance

Story Info
A woman takes a chance on love.
5.8k words
4.5
35.2k
16
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JessGabriel
JessGabriel
293 Followers

This story is entirely fictional. Any resemblance to real people, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

Chapter 1

"Damn rain!" Jane Bennington grumbled as she slogged through the puddles and mud coagulating on the sidewalk. It had been raining for three days straight and while Jane typically loved the rain, she was over it. Over it! Jane continued to grumble as she reached the bus stop that was thankfully covered. She squeezed in among the group of people packed into the enclosure and looked at her watch. She was going to be late.

The bus finally arrived ten minutes later and she gratefully took a seat and started digging through her backpack for her cell phone. She pulled it out and flipped it open only to find that it was dead. She had just charged it the night before, but the battery wasn't holding a charge. She let her head fall back on the headrest and rolled her head towards the window. She absolutely despised being late.

Twenty minutes later, and half an hour after she was scheduled to arrive, she finally reached the North Carolina State Library where she worked as a librarian. She wiped her feet off as best she could on the mat outside and cringed at her reflection in the automatic doors. Her Doc Martens were covered in mud and she looked like a bedraggled street person. She was assaulted by the air conditioning as she walked inside and shivered at the temperature difference.

"Jane! There you are. I was beginning to think that you weren't coming!" Jane's boss, Larry exclaimed as she made her way to the employee break room. Larry was in his fifties, wore his pants three inches too short and had gray hair that always looked like he had just rolled out of bed. He was the epitome of high energy and was always flitting from one place to another.

"I'm so sorry, Larry. It's been a hell of a morning."

"Hmm, yes, I can see that," he replied as he raked his gaze over her dripping hair and now-orange shoes. "Well, my dear, go get dried off and de-mudded and then head over to the research desk."

Thank God for Larry. He may be frenetic and occasionally, downright strange, but he was a good boss.

Jane dried her hair as best she could under the hand-dryer in the bathroom and rinsed her shoes in the sink. She grimaced as she looked in the mirror. Well, she no longer looked like a bedraggled street person, but she didn't look much better. She cleaned her glasses with toilet paper, took a deep breath and went to attack her day.

*****

Jacob Myers pulled his 20-year old VW Jetta into a parking space at the State Library and sent up a mental thanks that his car got him to another destination. It was still early, so he was able to get a space fairly close to the door. He got out and made a mad dash for the entrance, but still ended up soaked.

He had chosen to visit this library for the first time, as opposed to one of the libraries on the NC State campus, in hopes that he could find more books on South Carolina's history. Though he was attending school on a wrestling scholarship, he was a history major and planned to be a history professor after he got his Master's Degree. He was finishing up his Bachelor's Degree now and was looking forward to taking a TA position next semester.

He followed the signs to the Research Desk and got in line behind a man who was gesturing wildly, his high-pitched voice going on about books not being returned to the correct shelves and common courtesy. Jacob pulled out his cell phone and made sure that it was on vibrate. He didn't want to do anything piss this guy off and be forced to listen to another tantrum.

"Larry," the voice behind the desk said. Larry either ignored the female voice or didn't hear her.

"LARRY!" the voice said more sharply. Jacob could've sworn he heard Larry's teeth snap together. "There is a patron standing behind you, who I'm sure always puts books back where they belong," the voice said dryly.

Jacob covered his laugh with a cough. "Um, yes sir." Jacob had to cough again once he got a look at Larry's Mozart-like hair and thick round glasses.

Larry blushed and huffed, finally walking away. Jacob put his hands in his pockets and finally got a glimpse of the face that went along with the voice. The woman had her glasses in one hand and the other pinched the bridge of her nose. "Rough morning?" he asked in an amused voice.

The woman put her glasses back on and looked up. "You have no fucking idea."

He had to laugh at her candor. His laugh must have been contagious because now she was grinning as well. His laugh trailed off as he looked at her face. This woman was stunning. Or maybe adorable was a more apt description. Fair skin with chocolate brown eyes behind funky, purple glasses. Inky black hair with blue streaks (that was currently sticking up in some places), a pixie-like nose and the most luscious pink mouth with a line down the center of the bottom lip. It didn't look like she had any make-up on.

"You know, it's really rude to stare. I had to walk to the bus stop in the shit outside and I know I look drowning peacock."

"N...no! You look..."

She interrupted him, "Don't bother. I don't need a fake pick-me up from a jock." He could see her letting the professional librarian facade slide over her face. "What can I help you with, sir?" she asked with a wide smile that didn't reach her eyes.

Jacob shook his head to clear his mind. "Um, American History."

"Down the hall, to the right on the last cluster of shelves on the left. Have a nice day!"

Wow, she was certainly a feisty one. "I didn't catch your name."

"I didn't tell you my name," she replied cheekily.

He held out his hand to shake. "I'm Jacob Myers."

She reluctantly reached out and shook his hand. "Jane Bennington."

He caressed his thumb over her wrist, noticing that her nails were free of any polish. She jerked her hand away, giving him a contemptuous look.

"It was nice to meet you, Jane Bennington," he said, making eye contact, then turning and walking away.

Chapter 2

Jane stared at the counter in front of her, wondering what just happened. She was normally immune to the advances of either sex, few and far between as they were. She had no interest in dating and no interest in sex. She was perfectly happy with her books and writing her own erotic stories.

"Right Jane," she thought, "you just keep telling yourself that."

So, what was it that was different about Jacob? He was a jock for sure, so he probably fucked his way through half of the city and had an attitude more arrogant than an ass.

"Wait a second, don't you hate it when people assume that you're goth because of your fair skin and black hair? You're stereotyping him, just like people stereotype you."

"Oh, shut up Jane!" she grumbled to herself. But she couldn't keep herself from keeping an eye out for him. He was at least 6'4 -- more than a foot taller than herself -- and had the most piercing gray eyes that she had ever seen. He had a boyish face and chestnut brown hair. And those muscles...wow. She had literally felt goosebumps when he touched her wrist.

She found that she was staring into space and ripped herself back to the work in front of her. She couldn't afford to day-dream about something that she could never allow herself to have. Not after...no. She wasn't even going to think about that time in her life.

*****

It was several hours later when she saw Jacob come back around the corner. She took a deep breath and tried to force the professional facade back around her.

"Did you find what you were looking for?"

"I think so. You definitely have a bigger selection here than the library on campus." "Where are you in school?" she asked, cursing herself for prolonging the conversation.

"NC State," he replied. "I'm a history major."

"Really?" she asked a little too skeptically.

He frowned. "Yes, really. Let me guess, big muscles equate to small brain."

"No, I'm sorry, I..."

He interrupted, "And now we're even for the misunderstanding before," he said with a mischievous grin. "Jane, can I buy you a cup of coffee?"

She looked up at him with surprise on her face. "Um, no...I'm here until 6pm, but thanks for the offer."

"How about after you get off work?"

She shook her head. "Sorry, I have plans."

"Tomorrow then," he pressed on.

"It just wouldn't be a good idea."

Was that regret on her face that he saw? He wasn't going to give up that easily, but he would leave her alone for today.

He nodded at her. "Bye, Janey."

He noticed her disgruntled expression at the nick-name and just grinned, walking out of the library and back into the rain.

***** It was three days before he could go back to the library. He was going to wear Jane down.

"Not today," he said as he walked back out of the library several hours later after being rejected again.

He went every day he was available and she wasn't threatening a restraining order, so that was a good thing.

Two months later, he escaped from the heat and humidity of the summer into the refreshing air-conditioner, only to find his Janey at the front desk instead of the research desk. She was wearing a bright pink tank top that was holding in her tiny, barely-there breasts. The air-conditioner was making her large nipples stand out, however, and he noticed that the boy in line was enjoying the view while Jane's eyes were on the screen. He wanted to growl that those were his, but he figured Janey wouldn't appreciate a show of ownership.

She looked up when it was his turn in the line.

"Fine, Jacob," she said in a defeated tone.

"Fine?" he replied, hoping she meant what he thought she meant.

"You're as tenacious as a fucking bull-dog. One date. Got it?"

He tried not to smile too big, but he was jumping up and down inside. Though it was rumored that he was the romeo of the senior class, they were just that--rumors. Sure, he had a one-night stand every now and then. But he wanted something real. He wanted Jane.

"What time does your shift end?" he asked. He didn't want to take the chance of her changing her mind.

She looked at her watch. "Now, but..."

"Great!" he said, "Let's go. Although, I think iced-coffee would be the best choice."

Chapter 3

Jane waited for her mind to start protesting, but she felt her body gathering her things and following him out the door. She felt her hand enveloped in his and immediately yanked it back, glaring up at him.

"Let's get one thing straight, big boy," she said as sternly as she could get her voice to work, "no touching." She expected that this would turn him off and she would be free.

"Okay," he said.

Okay?

He held the door for her as they reached the near-by coffee shop. Though they had only walked a short distance, her tank was sticking to her and she could feel her hair frizzing from the humidity.

They ordered their drinks and chose a table under a fan. He seemed to sense her reluctance to share, so he told stories about growing up in Charlotte and setting up play-wrestling matches with his three brothers. He was the youngest and had several nieces and nephews, which he showed her pictures of from his cell phone.

"Did you grow up here?" he asked.

She felt uncomfortable with the attention being back on her. She didn't socialize much and she had always hated being the center of attention.

"No, I grew up in South Carolina."

"Really, where?"

"Just a tiny town that I'm sure you've never heard of," she replied evasively. Even thinking of "home" brought back memories that she didn't want to deal with in public.

*****

Jacob noticed the pain and apprehension in her eyes when she mentioned home. He wanted to take her hand, but remembered her 'no touching' rule.

"Let me make you dinner," he said suddenly.

"Why?"

He bit the bullet and reached over and took her hand. She tried to jerk away, but he he held her hand gently, but firmly. "Because I like you, Janey, and I want to spend more time with you," he replied softly.

Her hand relaxed, but she stared at it with a look he couldn't read. He was about to tell her that another time was okay when she replied so softly, he almost couldn't hear.

"Okay."

He gave her an earth-shattering smile and stood. "Can we go to your place? I'm sharing with one of my brothers for the moment."

She looked at him as if she was appraising him. "Okay," she repeated.

After a grocery store run for the ingredients for Chicken Parmesan, and her laughing at his constant fight with the air conditioner his car, they finally reached her modest house. It had a small, but neatly trimmed lawn and flower beds with bright Mums and Impatiens.

He followed her inside and instantly felt her personality in the space. Bright colors were everywhere. All of a sudden, he was assaulted by a big chocolate lab with a wagging tail and slobbery tongue. He tried to withstand the friendly massacre while not dropping the groceries.

Jane was standing there, wide-eyed, with one hand over her mouth. She shook her head and finally seemed to come to her senses.

"I'm so sorry!" she exclaimed, taking the collar of the smiling beast. "Al! Down!"

He smiled and wiped his mouth with his arm. "Al?"

"Alexander the Great," she replied, looking a bit puzzled. "But normally, he barks and growls at new people."

"I guess I'm honored then," he said, winking at her. "Lead the way to the kitchen."

After setting the ingredients out, they ventured outside to take Al for a walk. He noticed that she was loosening her armor. By the time they got back to the house, his arm was around her waist and she was smiling up at him, laughing at something that he'd said. He really wanted to lean down and kiss her, but knew that it wasn't the right time.

*****

As Jacob looked down at her, she almost wished for him to kiss her. As she realized the direction of her thoughts, she jerked away from him and preceded him into the house.

"So, what can I do to help with dinner?" she asked. To Jacob's credit, he didn't appear as if he had taken her rejection to heart.

"Can you make the salad?"

"I am the salad queen and I might even add some surprise ingredients."

"I look forward to it."

After about an hour, they sat down to eat. She told him about the amusing patrons in the library and the antics of Larry. He kept eye contact with her and seemed genuinely interested in what she had to say.

The evening wore on and they settled onto her comfortable, leather couch to watch a sitcom. They started out side by side, but she eventually put her head on his shoulder. She felt his head come to rest on top of hers and she felt content. She felt his hand come up to tilt her chin towards him and suddenly, his lips were touching hers softly. The pressure was gentle and his lips were hot and soft. She put her hand around the back of his neck and turned her body towards him. He moved his hand to her throat and she knew he could feel her pulse fluttering. She opened her mouth slightly and deepened the kiss. She sighed into his mouth and heard a little grunt from him.

*****

Holy shit, holy shit, holy shit. He was kissing her. There were no tongues involved and he was more turned on than he ever had been in his life. He was trying his hardest not to start whimpering. She was starting to tremble and he was terrified of pushing her too fast, so he ended the kiss and pressed his cheek to hers.

"Jake," she whispered.

He looked into her eyes and saw pain hiding behind tears. What happened to her that a kiss scared her like it obviously did. He didn't think she was afraid of him, but of the way she was feeling.

"You need to go," she said, looking away.

He turned her head gently to make eye contact with her again. "Okay, Janey, but I really like you and I'm not going anywhere."

She jerked her chin away and he could tell that she was trying not to cry, so he caressed her cheek one last time and left.

Jane listened to the door click quietly shut and curled up on the couch. She cursed her past and her inability to have a normal adulthood. She was 25 and still a virgin. She hadn't even been kissed since that night, ten years ago. She really liked Jake and felt safe with him, but she didn't know what he could want in her. She was too skinny, had a boyish body and no real social skills to speak of. She didn't go out and really didn't have any close friends. Not that people didn't try. She just didn't let them get close to her. It was easier that way.

She closed her eyes and relived the kiss. Oh, that kiss. It was tender and sweet and she wanted more. Maybe, just this once, she could take a chance . Chapter 4

Two days later, Jacob stood outside Jane's door and took a deep breath. It was 7pm, so he hoped that she was home. He knocked and heard Al yip inside.

Jane opened the door wearing a tee shirt and jeans that hugged her figure perfectly. Her dark hair was pulled back and she was wearing green glasses today. He fought the urge to pick her up and eat at her plump lips.

"Hi Jake," she said softly, "I wasn't sure that I would see you again." He looked at her with confusion. "Janey, I told you I wasn't going anywhere and I meant it."

She stood aside to let him in.

"Have you eaten yet?" he asked, reaching behind him to grab a fragrant bag.

Her stomach growled audibly. "Does that answer your question?"

He laughed. "I hope you like Chinese."

Her eyes widened and he swore he could see them saying, "Mine!" She cleared her throat and nodded.

He followed her to the kitchen and they both started sorting out the various boxes. The noises she was making as she opened each one were wreaking havoc on his cock. He gripped his control as tightly as possible, but couldn't resist leaning down for a kiss. And another. And another. He pulled her to him and mentally cheered as her hand came up around his neck and she tentatively parted his lips with her tongue. He growled and pulled her tighter against him, letting her explore his mouth. She gasped as his erection pressed into her stomach and he gently pulled away, not wanting to overwhelm her. He gave her one last peck before going back to the food.

That night started a pattern of sorts. Every few days, Jake would come bearing dinner and they would share kisses, but it never went further than that. She was falling in love with him and appreciated that he respected her boundaries.

She opened the door to his smiling face a month later and decided that enough was enough. It was time to move things forward. After a dinner of pizza and beer, she surprised him by curling up on his lap as they were watching a movie. She could feel his ever-present erection pressing into her butt. Not normally the aggressor, she turned to straddle his lap, tentatively leaned in, wound both hands in his hair and dove right into a deep kiss. He moaned low in his throat, one hand in her hair, the other caressing her throat. Their tongues twined together and she started panting and instinctively grinding against him.

Jacob thought he was going to go out of his mind. His little spit-fire was about to make him come in his pants. He broke the kiss. "Janey, baby, please...just stop for a second."

He saw the hurt in her eyes. "No, no, no, that was amazing, but if we don't stop for a second, I'm going to lose control."

The hurt in her eyes changed to something more mischevious. She laid her head on his shoulder and ran her short nails over his scalp.

"Baby, that's not helping."

She stilled and seemed to be thinking. She reached up and took one of his hands, sliding it around her front to her breast. They gasped simultaneously as he caressed her through the fabric of her shirt. He moved his other hand to the alternate breast and gently pinched the nipple. She cried out and arched into his touch. An astonished look passed over her face and her mouth dropped open. Her whole body stiffened and she let out a squeak, her pelvis thrusting. That was it. Jacob thrust against her just once and was growling into her neck as he ejaculated in his jeans. She was trembling as he leaned back to look at her.

JessGabriel
JessGabriel
293 Followers
12