Talisman Ch. 5: Victoria Grace Tilden

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JUDO
JUDO
138 Followers

Now a hotel, Mena House had once been a hunting lodge situated far from the city, but now the city had grown considerably and was extending even beyond the hotel's property. Just thirty years before, Princess Eugenie of France had driven the road outside to witness the great pyramids. The Ottoman ruler, Ismail, planted her beloved acacia trees along it. But so much had happened since the opening of the Suez. British rule here and in the Sudan. The horrid Boer wars in the south - when for the first time, the apparently invincible British army had been reduced to impotence and near defeat by an improvised force of farmers. Only within the last year had law and order really been stabilized in the region. Moreover, Eugenie's trees were mostly gone; some replaced by eucalyptus.

But the hotel remained dutiful throughout with all of the entrapments of its European counterparts - walnut bar and card room, murals in the lobby and dining rooms, crystal chandeliers ­- an amazing bit of work that. And largely transported here on the backs of camels and caravans.

In the smoke-filled bar, Winthrop pushed his chair out and plopped his great backside into one of the handcrafted walnut chairs at the card table. Berringer breathed a sigh of relief to be off his feet. He had to get out of these dusty clothes and riding boots soon somehow.

"Feels good to finally sit, Sir Winth - Ceril."

Winthrop smiled. "Tell me of this bride-to-be, Berringer. Can she really handle our needs?"

A barman approached with a silver tray and drinks, placing them quietly as they continued talking.

"Absolutely. She has wanted to be involved in fieldwork since she was seventeen. She heard a presentation by Sir Peter le Page Renouf at the Royal Society and was rapt on the subject of ancient Egypt ever since. She's a smart girl. She has had private tutoring her entire life and until last year, studied with Peltrie at University College."

Winthrop almost spit up his beer. "Flinders Peltrie? The archeologist?"

"Yes, yes, of course. Not only that, she's been his assistant these last several months proofreading his new text on methods of archeology."

"I must say this is incredible. How did such a…a wonder woman get involved with a cad like yourself?" Winthrop brushed the foam off his mustache and sipped some more of the amber ale.

Berringer laughed at Winthrop's jest and downed some of the beer at last. "Oh, that's good. Can't believe they'd have this here." He lowered the glass and looked out the window overlooking the tennis courts. "We met at the Spring Cotillion two years ago. She was the picture of loveliness, if you don't mind my saying so."

"Not at all, not at all. Do go on."

"She stole my heart instantly. I'd never seen such a beauty, a full flesh and blood woman, sir. After we'd met her parents and shared our minds, I loved her even more. I can not believe that she is going to be right here with us."

"Has she traveled before?" Winthrop gave him a concerned look.

Berringer looked puzzled for a moment. "Well, I…I don't…I hadn't thought about that. She has a strong spirit, Sir Ceril, I…"

"Don't worry yourself, Berringer. I'm sure she's no delicate flower or you'd never have suggested it. But mind you this…" Winthrop leaned in close. "We're not in England now, boy. Where a woman's concerned, you can't trust Johnny Foreigner. Stay close to that fiancée of yours whilst she's here. There are a thousand snakes lurking in the dark, so near to so much treasure to be found. Mark my words."

Berringer's surprised look softened a bit as he sat back and drank the last of his beer.

"I say, Mr. Kranar!" The bartender smiled as Winthrop raised his voice. "Did you mention a game was to be had at this table, sir?"

* * *

Victoria slumped in the saddle as she batted at the low-hanging tree branches. "Sarah, do you imagine we could get the young boys leading the camels to attempt to avoid all of these eucalyptus trees?"

"Sorry, Miss Victoria, I don't speak a word of their colorful language, but hang on, we're almost there. Do you see the trees leading out to the right just beyond that rise?" Sarah pointed at a distant double-row of trees behind some nearby houses.

"Yes, I see them." It was hard to make out in the haze and the heat. The trees danced above the horizon as though on fire.

"Now, look immediately to the left of that."

Her eyes looked left, but saw only more sky. "I don't see to what you are refer… Oh my Lord! That's not…"

"Oh, yes it is, dear."

Slowly, but surely, the angled crown of the pyramid of Cheops crested the hill, followed quickly by its two brothers nearby. Victoria's mouth hung open as she stared. She had waited six years to see them and here they were in all their glory. In her mind, she had witnessed this event a hundred times over, but never could she imagine the feeling that rushed through her veins just now. It was easy to put herself in the place of the ancient traveler, arriving at the great city for the first time, four thousand years before, marveling at the structures now standing before her.

"How ominous they look. So foreboding - almost monstrous. So magnificent."

Sarah chuckled. "I think they look dusty and dirty, but then I'm not an Egypto… Egypto… What was that word, dear, that your professor friend used?"

"Egyptologist." She couldn't take her eyes off the pyramids glistening in the afternoon sun.

"Oh, and here's Sir Ceril's accommodations for us."

As the city fell away past the rise in the road, an oasis appeared, painted with greenery. Gardens of flowers, trees and great lawns covered the grounds of an enormous palatial estate beyond.

Victoria's heart jumped. "I had been expecting tents and campfires. I had no idea…"

"I left it as a surprise for you, Miss Tilden. Our quarters will be tents on the dig in two days time, but for now, welcome to Mena House!" Sarah clapped as they approached the main building down the road.

"Is that a golf course?"

Sarah continued to applaud their destination. "Oh, yes, two golf courses, tennis, cricket and a outdoor bathing pool. We'll be quite comfortable."

Victoria had imagined all sorts of vague tortures of camp life, but she never imagined such finery could appear out of the desert. "The richness of Nile delta surpasses even the wildest stories I've ever heard."

* * *

Sarah entered the lobby, dusting her clothes. Porters followed her carrying bags, trunks, hatboxes… As she approached the front desk, she glanced around at the other guests, who obviously had been here for a while, dressed in fine suits and cotton dresses intent on their conversations or plans.

"Good afternoon, sir." She steadied herself against the beautifully inlaid lobby desk and registry.

An older British gentleman straightened his waistcoat and turned from the mailboxes. "Good afternoon, madam. Just arrived?"

"Yes, McAuley and Tilden to register, please."

"Yes, madam, we've been expecting you." He gestured to one of the bellboys. "Hamid, the two young ladies are to be taken to the southern wing, down the hall from Sir Winthrop's rooms. Here are the keys." He turned the giant registry book towards Sarah and tilted it, handing her a pen.

"Sign in here and here, Miss McAuley." Sarah blushed at the man's attentiveness as she signed.

He turned to the mailboxes and pulled out a letter. "Oh. I've almost forgot. There's a note for your party. Here."

At the front door, Victoria stiffly entered, still stretching her back against the corset stays that had bit into her sides during the long ride. As she entered, she caught sight of herself in the large mirror facing the doorway and jumped, clamping a hand over her mouth. The image in the mirror was covered head-to-toe in dust and her hair was a frizzled mess hanging down around her ears. She looked around, quickly noticed the nice dress of other guests and thought of hiding.

Sarah grabbed her arm and she jumped again. "My, aren't you a bit tight? Here, this will raised your spirits." Sarah held the note out for her.

Victoria pulled the letter from the envelope and read it.

Dearest Victoria,

I can not tell you how thrilled I am at your arrival. Please dine with us at dinner in the private dining room of Sir Ceril Winthrop's this evening at eight o'clock.

Your devoted fiancé,

Michael

Devoted? A hound was devoted to its master. Shouldn't a potential husband be loving or something? Victoria's thoughts played across her face as guests moved past her and Sarah in and out the lobby doors.

She looked up and saw Sarah staring across the room, holding her breath.

A young, pretty Egyptian maid crossed the lobby with fresh towels in her arms. She brushed a long strand of hair from her cheek and caught Sarah's eyes. Slowing her walk, she returned the gaze of Sarah and smiled.

Grinning, Sarah grasped Victoria's hand. "How does a hot bath sound?"

Victoria smiled wryly. "You old conjurer. You've read my mind." Arm-in-arm, they followed the bellboy to their rooms.

* * *

Finally in her room, Victoria supervised a young maid in unpacking and placing her clothes in the dresser, vanity table and armoire. The maid finished, tidied up the room and stood by the door.

"May I assist madam in any other way?" The maid was Egyptian, but her accent was decidedly French.

"Well, first of all, it's mademoiselle, not madam."

The young maid curtsied and bowed her head. "Oh, please do forgive me, mademoiselle. I am new to the hotel and not very experienced."

Victoria smiled at the young maid's manner. She was dark-haired, brown-eyed, slightly built and very exotic looking, nothing like the Irish women who served at home. "My name is Miss Tilden. My traveling companion in the next chamber is Miss McAuley. And you are…?"

"Aziza, Miss Tilden."

"Well, Aziza, I understand inexperience and I will do what I can to assist you in these affairs. Now, I am very dirty after my long journey here. Can you draw a hot bath for me?"

"Yes, Miss Tilden. Right away." She quietly entered the bath.

Victoria unlatched the last chamber on her steamer trunk and removed her dinner gowns. Inspecting them closely for any damage, she was pleased to know that she would be wearing this wonderful dress this evening. The same dress she had worn the day Michael proposed. The maid returned.

"Your bath is ready, Miss Tilden. Do you have a need for any assistance?"

"Yes, please, remain outside the door until I summon you."

"Yes, mademoiselle." The maid went out the door, locking it behind her.

Victoria removed her jacket, then unbuttoned her shoes. Dust was everywhere. As she undressed, she noticed that pockets of dirt had collected along her arms and between her breasts. Disgusting, she thought. The smell of the bath salts wafted into the room. She couldn't wait to get into the waters.

She unbuttoned her blouse and dropped it on the trunk, then undid the fasteners and stepped out of the skirt over her knee-length knickers, but no matter how hard she tried, she could not reach the ties of her corset. She threw on the robe, tied it and opened the door.

"Aziza, could you give me a hand for the moment, please?"

"Yes, Miss Tilden." The maid entered, closed and locked the door.

Victoria untied the robe and dropped it to her waist. The maid's eyes took in her garment, looking from the cleavage of her breasts to her face and back again. The garment pushed her breasts up high, making them bulge obscenely.

"Untie me, Aziza. I couldn't reach."

"Where, Miss Tilden?"

Victoria turned her back to her and pointed over her shoulder. "In the back, just there. Do you see?"

"Oh, yes. The lacings. Pardoné mois, mademoiselle, but I've never seen one of these English bustier before." She untied the knots gently.

"A corset. We call it a corset. This is one of the latest fashion, complete with the ribbons, pleats and tucks and here - there is boning to hold in the figure."

The maid smiled and touched Victoria's side, just beneath her left arm and ran her fingers along the boning until she reached the breast. At her touch, Victoria sucked in her breath and stiffened.

"Oh yes, I can see that it is a very fine undergarment, mademoiselle. Very beautiful." The maid finished releasing the lacings and the corset sagged under its own weight, exposing more of Victoria's breasts. Her eyes lingered there. "Isn't it hot, mademoiselle? Our weather doesn't really accommodate."

"Well, yes, but without one, I mean, it just wouldn't be fashionable. No corset, no figure…" She stopped and stared at the young maid for a moment. "You've never seen a corset before?"

"Mais non, mademoiselle."

"Then what are you wearing under… Under… Oh, never you mind." Victoria blushed and looked at the ground.

The maid's fingers went to her own collar and began unbuttoning.

"What…? What are you doing?" Victoria was shocked.

The maid opened her collar and unbuttoned the top buttons on her blouse, revealing a silk garment that held her breasts. It was so sheer that the young woman's nipples protruded rudely through the material and you could see the color of her areola. "It is not a problem, mademoiselle. After all, we are both women."

"Stop that. This instant."

The maid stopped and stared.

"I will not stand for such a - vulgar display. Leave my chambers at once!" Victoria was embarrassed, but adamant.

The maid curtsied, closed her blouse and left the room. Victoria locked the door. "My God, some people have no sense of propriety. What a Godless lot." She threw the key on the nightstand and entered the bath.

She took off the robe and laid it in on the back of the vanity. She began tugging at the corset until it was loose enough to slide off. Mirrors lined the walls of the bath and she stopped for a moment, looking at herself.

"I'm so dirty. My God, I'm glad Michael didn't see me in this condition." Her eyes traveled down her body. She rubbed at the places where the corset had bitten into her skin. She turned side-to-side looking at herself. Her breasts jiggled against her chest and she frowned. She bent, pushing the knickers off her legs and threw them beneath the chair. Her eyes traveled down the curved length of her legs to the turn of her ankle and back up to her shoulders. She looked down at herself and brushed her fingertips through the bushy tuft of dark hair growing up her tummy from between her legs. "I look like one of my Uncle's French oil paintings…only dirtier." She giggled and stepped towards the bathtub.

* * *

A knock rang at the door from the hallway just as Victoria was applying the final touches to her blush at the vanity. A voice mumbled through the door. "Miss Victoria, it is I, Miss McAuley. Is it convenient to see you?"

"Just a moment," Victoria called. "I'm not dressed yet." She stood up from the vanity table and opened a drawer, dropping the blush inside. She entered the bedchamber, grabbed her linen wrap from the bed and pulled it around her shoulders. A quick glance in the mirror, and she opened the door.

Sarah stood there in one of her housedresses. "Oh my, Miss Victoria, you look positively radiant!"

Her bracelet and matching earrings flashed gold in the hall lights. She'd reset her hair high on the back of her head so that little ringlets could drop around her ears and along her shoulders. Her dress was exquisite - a forest green silk brocade evening gown cut low and daring topped with the finest linen wrap.

Victoria smiled and took Sarah's hand. "Really? Do you really think so?"

"Yes, miss, just like a princess. Mr. Berringer will be stunned."

The two women laughed as they locked the door and descended the stairs to Winthrop's dining room.

Reaching the bottom, they turned right and passed under an archway as two servants opened doors for them to enter. As the doors parted, they revealed a long table filled with candles, silver dishes of entrées and crystal goblets shining with liquid. Around it all, men stood about in high spirits, bantering amidst their drinks. Now attired in tuxedo and dressed to the nines, Michael Berringer jumped up from his chair and ran to Victoria.

The young man could scarcely contain himself, panting and stuttering. "Miss Tilden, may I express my gratitude that you have honored me by accepting my invitation?"

She smiled warmly at Michael as he kissed her hand. "And I'm so very pleased to be here at your invitation. It's been much too long. Mr. Berringer. My companion, Miss McAuley and I were very pleased to have received your invitation to dine with you and Sir Ceril Winthrop."

Sarah cleared her throat and Victoria turned quickly to her.

"How remiss of me. Allow me to introduce my traveling companion, chaperone and friend, Miss Sarah McAuley. Sarah, this is my fiancé, Mr. Berringer."

"Very nice to make your acquaintance, Mr. Berringer. Miss Tilden has told me you are a nice young gentlemen and I can see that she didn't exaggerate."

Michael bowed and smiled. "Miss McAuley, how good of you to accompany Miss Tilden on her difficult journey. I am so pleased that you've joined us." Then, courtesies aside, he looked longingly at Victoria and reached for her hand. "May I?"

Victoria smiled and nodded.

Michael put her hand in the crook of his arm. "Would you like to see the view from the balcony outside?"

"Certainly, Mr. Berringer, as you wish."

Sarah started to follow them.

Victoria turned towards her. "We won't be a moment, Sarah." Then, she looked back to Michael's handsome face.

With a surprised expression, Sarah stopped awkwardly as Michael pushed the doors aside, leading Victoria outside alone.

A full moon still eclipsed by its approximation to the horizon lit the imposing desert landscape before them with its bright cold light. Excavations of Giza surrounded the base of the three pyramids, the shortest of which was barely visible among the sand dunes. Michael gestured across the horizon as he led his enraptured fiancée to the balcony railing. "Victoria, this is your Egypt."

"Oh, Michael, it is exactly as I have always dreamed. So beautiful. So mysterious. So ancient and wonderful." She rested her elbows on the railing and took a deep breath. "It even has its own fragrance, a mixture of our Scottish loam and India spices, yet nothing like them."

Michael embraced Victoria from behind, placing his hands on her shoulders. Victoria jumped at his touch, placing one hand on his and looking up. Seeing him enjoying the same view as she, she relaxed.

"It is wonderfully mysterious as you say." Michael closed his eyes and breathed deeply. "But the only fragrance I can smell tonight is yours, my darling. It has been much too long."

Smiling, Victoria turned into Michael's arms and hugged him, burying her cheek against his chest. "Oh, Michael, it is so good to see you again. And now we'll be working together."

Michael pressed his arms about Victoria and pulled her body tightly against his own. Victoria felt the air pushed from her lungs as her breasts crushed against his chest. Michael pressed his lips to her hair.

"Darling, that's too tight."

Michael pulled her hair back and lowered his lips to hers, kissing her. Surprised, Victoria pushed at Michael and tried to speak, but could only mumble. Against her thigh, she could feel a hard lump pressing against her. A long, hard lump at Michael's… His penis was erect!

Now, she remembered her mother's other, unwelcome reason for marriage. She pushed frantically at him until he let go. Glaring, she stepped back. "How dare you, sir! You presume too much. Such animalistic behavior might be acceptable among your Egyptian diggers, but it is not welcome here."

JUDO
JUDO
138 Followers
123456...8