Tears of the Fallen Ch. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JazCullen
JazCullen
6,498 Followers

"Does someone want to tell me what you've discovered, and why we're gathered here?" Rafe's droll tone had everyone turning to look at him and it was Caleb who replied.

"I think your guess is as good as mine. When I went to bed, very little had really been discovered; however from Annie's expression, it appears she knows something more?" Caleb phrased it as a question, moving to sit down and help himself to some coffee. He poured a cup for his mate.

As Rafe and Ashleigh grabbed some food, Rhianna quickly apprised her brother of Anakatrine's rediscovered library and the books they hoped would help them deal with the European threat. The alpha's expression turned incredulous the more information she imparted.

"Dream Walking?" Caleb echoed, when his mate got to that part of her discovery. He felt a bubble of hope well up inside at the mere possibility of help for the injured vampires.

"I think Liam and Reasa should have this." Rhianna patted the leather-bound book on the coffee table where she'd placed it when she'd arrived. "I'll have to use a spell to translate the text into English so they can read it, but that shouldn't be hard. They are the ones who know most about their abilities. It makes sense that they would be the logical choices to read it through and determine what they can or cannot do."

"You're forgetting one little thing, Annie. Reasa is our prisoner, whether she is Liam's mate or not. No one knows what kind of harm she could cause with this new knowledge. From what I understand, you didn't strip her empathic abilities when you took her immortality." There was a healthy dose of caution in Rafe's tone as he frowned at the thought. He didn't even blink at the fact she was going to employ magic to perform the translation.

His sister frowned too, pursing her lips as she regarded him. "Yes, she needs to be watched. I'm not disputing that fact; but how is she ever supposed to integrate with the pack if she continues to feel like an outsider, Rafe? Reasa has a strong affinity for vampires even though she's no longer one. Providing her with the opportunity to help the casualties at the Praetorian Compound will give her a purpose. That's something she is clearly lacking right now. It will also give her the chance to work with Liam and get to know him as a person. It's a calculated risk in my opinion."

"She's already contacted someone outside the pack," Ashleigh countered. "We don't know the consequences of that yet. If Reasa can move around more freely, won't that grant her the potential to place Liam in harm's way? What if someone comes to rescue her?"

"I think we can all agree that Liam doesn't need any protecting," Caleb sighed, giving the younger woman a rueful smile. "On the contrary it's the rest of us who need protection from him. I'm in agreement with Annie. We always use the tools that fit the job, and this empathy thing is what Liam and Reasa do best."

Rafe nodded. Since the issue at Freya's, he had been reassessing what was best for the pack; it was clear to him that separating Liam and Reasa would only lead to another episode. He in no way trusted the former vampire, but it was hard to dispute Annie's reasoning. They would have to ensure that Reasa was closely monitored. That would mean putting their stronger-willed personnel on the task, and relying on Liam to retain enough pack loyalty to back them up if she proved stronger than anticipated. He'd already considered allowing them to go up to the Praetorian Compound.

"Fine, it's agreed then. Liam and Reasa will research the book. They'll also be permitted to go up to the Praetorian compound to see if they can be of any assistance. I want a Vârcolac presence around them though, just to ensure Reasa can't manipulate any vulnerable minds to attempt escape."

"Lily could be excused from kitchen duties," Rhianna suggested. "She will want to be there for Brandon in case he wakes. Kallum will also want to be present, as he's partial to the Praetorians. We could send Elina and Kothari too?"

"I'm agreeable to that," Rafe confirmed with another nod of his head. "I doubt any of the Vârcolac will have an issue with helping out."

They talked a little longer, finishing breakfast as they discussed the best timing for the trip to the Praetorian compound. Despite some concerns, there was an air of excitement in the room. Things appeared to be moving, swinging in favour of the pack-vampire alliance. Whoever it was in Europe that had orchestrated the current conflict had no idea the consequences those actions were about to unleash.

*****

The sound of shattered glass startled Cassia. Her head shot up, an annoyed scowl on her face as the sound dragged her away from the lab results she was perusing. One of the teenagers helping out in the lab was staring at the door, and whatever she'd been carrying was lying broken at her feet. The Vârcolac hoped it wasn't anything important that would set them back in their testing. She was about to speak when her wolf growled. Turning her head, it was all she could do to keep her face expressionless as she caught sight and scent of what had startled the youngster.

"Pietro, can I help you?" Mallen was already crossing the room towards the doorway where the vampire stood, looking around the laboratory with open curiosity on his face.

There was barely an inch of exposed skin in view, which was probably what had startled the girl when she'd turned around. Dressed entirely in black—a long coat, fedora hat, and matching sunglasses—Pietro looked like something out of a bad vampire movie. For a moment, all Cassia could do was stare as the urge to laugh bubbled up inside her. She dampened it down though, and chose instead to analyse what it meant for the reclusive vampire to have left his sanctuary.

"I would like a word with Cassia," Pietro answered, the dark glasses turning in her direction.

She could feel the heat in his gaze, and a slow shiver ran down her spine at the sound of his voice. How could something so simple sound so decadent? Was this how all mates felt towards each other? Her reaction to Pietro since that moment at the lake had intensified, to say the least. It mildly disconcerted her, even as she found herself incredibly excited by it.

Cassia smoothed a wayward curl as she rose from her seat and nodded to the pack doctor. "I'll be back soon." While she didn't really have the time to spare from her work, she couldn't refuse Pietro if he'd come looking for her.

Following him from the lab, she could hear Mallen talking to the girl about the failed experiment she'd dropped, his tone kind though instructive. She easily tuned him out, her attention fully on the vampire in front of her.

Stepping into the morning sunshine, Cassia freed her hair from the clasp at the nape of her neck and gave her head a shake. She was aware of Pietro watching her, a half smile curving his bottom lip.

"You look like a puppy when you do that."

"And you look like something out of a bad horror movie." The words came out with a hint of amusement, laced with a little annoyance. His alluding to her youth rankled a bit, but not enough to dent the excitement that he'd come looking for her. Cassia waited patiently for his reaction, wondering if she'd said the wrong thing and if he'd retreat again. When his lips curled more, she knew she would have seen humour in his eyes if he wasn't wearing glasses.

Pietro's gaze drifted down to look at himself. His smile turned into a lopsided grin so unexpected and endearing, that for a moment she forgot how to breathe. "I guess I do at that," he agreed, taking off the glasses and hat, and letting his hands drop to his sides. "I've never seen you in wolf form."

His response was not what she'd expected and she blinked at him in puzzlement. Where the hell had that come from, and what had he meant by it? She couldn't read anything from his expression and was starting to feel so off balance that she needed to get some kind of control over the situation.

Cassia opted to be practical and ignore his last comment. "Pietro, why did you want to talk to me?" Her tone held more confusion than anything, until a thought suddenly struck her and her voice turned to a whisper. "Are you hungry?"

He stiffened slightly; it was his turn to be surprised. For the space of a few heartbeats, they stared at each other and it was clear they were both reliving the moment by the lake. "No, I fed earlier before I came out," Pietro finally replied, a flicker of something mysterious that she couldn't quite decipher in his eyes.

His lips quirked again and he shrugged. "I have cabin fever. I wanted to go for a run and thought you might like to accompany me in case I get into any trouble. I haven't exerted myself since Europe. I have no idea what I am or am not capable of right now."

She could appreciate how difficult it must be for a vampire of his age to acknowledge being doubtful of his own strength. His admission surprised her; his decision to come to her for support made her wolf sit up and pay close attention.

Perhaps some time with Pietro is exactly what her wolf needed. It might help settle the animal down, one way or another. Cassia couldn't really afford the time away from her experiments, but she couldn't refuse him either; especially not after he sought her out on his own volition. She wanted to run with him...she couldn't deny that.

Making up her mind, she gave him a quick smile. "Catch me if you can." She shifted to wolf form a split second after she had spoken, her glossy golden fur rippling with brown accents as it shimmered under the morning sunshine. She chuffed at the vampire before sprinting off into the forest.

Cassia ran. The feel of the early morning breeze ruffling her fur, the morning dew dampening her paws was...heavenly. It had been a while since she'd taken some time out to be in wolf form and she had forgotten how much she missed it. The wolf could hear Pietro's pursuit and she howled in delight, completely determined to outwit the male chasing her.

She gracefully sailed over a fallen log as she wove deeper into the forest, searching for dense thickets to slow his advance. The vampire was very agile, almost soundless in his movements. To his credit, he was nearly undetectable as he stalked through the trees. Unfortunately for him, she was not a normal vampire or Were; her ultra-enhanced hearing easily tracked his movements.

The wolf halted, puzzled. Its hybrid mind clearly registered the vampire heading in the opposite direction. Where the hell was he going? Cassia was sure he knew exactly which way she'd gone, and yet he'd veered away from her. It didn't make sense. She turned to follow him when suddenly all sound and scent of him vanished.

Panic welled up inside the Vârcolac as Pietro disappeared off of her radar. She burst out of the copse running full speed towards his last known position. Had he fallen and hurt himself? Had his weakened body betrayed him and caused him to pass out somewhere? She had to find him, had to make sure he was okay...

The wolf howled in outrage as the vampire dropped from above them and landed square on its back. Pietro took her down to the ground in one swift move, his unyielding arms of steel covering her completely. One large hand had an iron grip on the scruff of her neck, pinning her head to the forest floor. In wolf terms, he held her steadfast in the submissive position. She had no option but to yield defeat.

"Sneaky bastard."

It was considered rude to speak telepathically with someone who couldn't respond back in kind, but the mental words exploded from her wolf form unbidden. She'd meant to think it not project it, but the slow rumble of laughter which erupted from the vampire told her she'd done just that.

"Yes, I am, Cassia, though a more polite term would have been adaptable." He didn't release his hold or shift his position, even though the wolf's body language made it clear that his dominance had been established. "It's always good to know both your opponent's strengths and your own weaknesses. That way, you can make plans to beat them accordingly. We both knew there was no hope in hell of me ever catching your wolf in a straight contest. I adapted the circumstances to fit my needs."

His hand softened on the nape of her neck and long fingers burrowed into her fur, slowly stroking through the golden mane. "Your wolf is beautiful; its fur is so sleek and soft, its muscles strong and powerful. Stay where you are, Cassia: let me know your wolf."

She couldn't have shifted if she wanted to. Her wolf liked the feel of his hands on its body, so much so, it was trying to purr! She lay there, allowing his hands to flow down her back, a slow heat building in both woman and wolf.

"Pietro..."

She'd projected again, her hind legs tensing as he trailed lower. It was too much for Cassia and she shifted form, gasping aloud as his hands flowed over her jean-clad bottom and down the back of her thighs.

Pietro moved back over her, covering her body once more, pressing his rock hard erection against her bottom as he raised her hands out straight above her head. His breath whispered against her ear as his tongue snaked out and took a leisurely swipe against her lobe. "Stay where you are, Cassia."

There was no mistaking the blatant demand in his tone, but she was feeling so weak limbed from his gentle stroking that it never crossed her mind to object to it. She was eager to see what he would do next.

Pietro stroked his fingers lightly down her side, before bunching up the material of her shirt in order to touch her skin. Cassia shuddered at the first touch of his fingers, as an electrifying tremor coursed through her body. How could something so delicate cause such an instant reaction? Her arousal was almost at fever pitch already, and he'd barely touched her.

"I lied when I said I wasn't hungry, Cassia. I'm ravenous—not only to taste your blood once more—but to taste all of you. I yearn for the touch of your skin, for the taste of you in my mouth and the feel of you wrapped around my cock. If you don't want this, then say so now; it will be too late if you allow me to proceed further."

Was he really asking her if she wanted this? Every nerve ending in her body was on fire from a simple touch. He had to be able to scent her instant arousal and know what he was doing to her. She opened her mouth to say something, but no words came out; her answer, instead, was to wriggle her bottom against his erection. The movement dragged a harsh hiss from his lips and a nip of his teeth against her earlobe.

"So be it, Niña," he growled, as his tongue snaked down her neck. His teeth snapped the fragile strap which held her top to her shoulder. Hot lips travelled to the end of her shoulder and then back again, until he was at the sweet juncture of her neck. Pietro licked the spot roughly, eliciting a deep moan. His hand slid under her body to yank at the button on her jeans.

The zip rasped down and his large hand burrowed under her panties to cup her mound at the same moment his fangs sliced the delicate skin of her neck. Cassia cried out, her body arching helplessly into his hand. He was pulling deeply at her life's essence, the incessant tugging sensation causing an answering spasm between her thighs. Three thick fingers found her opening and plunged deep into her body, the heel of his hand massaging the tiny bundle of nerves, intensifying her pleasure.

Pietro stoked into her in time to his suckling at her neck, rubbing against her relentlessly as he savoured the sweetness of her blood as well as her sexual hunger. Sensations overwhelmed Cassia, her need so hot and heavy she was crying out incoherently, her hips grinding as she tried to force the pace of his movements.

Her abandonment made his cock pulse with a heady desire, as his fingers demanded access, demanded the wanton response she seemed unable to control. Pietro took his time, refusing to give in to her muttered pleas for more, teasing her with slow, hard thrusts, taking a moment to graze her sweet spot and make her cry out.

It was the sexiest sound he'd ever heard and the sexist sight he had ever seen. A sense of male pride flushed through him as his beautiful blonde wolf gave her body to him to do with as he pleased. Cassia shuddered wildly as she pulsed with pure pleasure, liquid fire running through her veins. It was enough to fracture Pietro's tenuous control. He pressed into her hard, sending her tumbling over into her climax, continuing to suckle at her neck as she shuddered in his arms.

Reluctantly, Pietro eased his fangs from Cassia's flesh and lapped at the stray rivulets of blood that covered her sweet skin. His fingers remained buried inside her body, her scalding heat embracing his hand. He didn't ever want to move his hand from her. She felt so perfect gripping him.

As had happened when he'd lain with women in the past, a sense of possessiveness welled up within him. Only this time, it was stronger than anything he had ever experienced before. This time he wanted to beat his chest and scream MINE so everyone knew that this exquisite creature belonged to him. She was his—to touch, tease and make love to—whenever he so desired.

His body ached to be inside her, to be buried in the wet heat that bathed his fingers. He had sated a hunger he hadn't even known he was feeling. Now he wanted to satisfy the hunger that had compelled him to leave Andrei's home and seek out the stunning blonde wolf lying beneath him.

He knew he shouldn't touch her. He'd tried to resist her charms, but that fateful moment by the lake had rendered his defeat inevitable. Since the moment he'd first tasted her sweet essence, when she'd shattered so beautifully for him, his cock had been rock hard. He wanted—no, needed—to be sheathed as deeply as possible within her. His lust dominated everything. He would take her here and now, riding her beautiful body hard as he tasted her sweetness. He would worry about the consequences of their actions later. For the moment, all that mattered was claiming Cassia, and loving her so thoroughly that any other man would pale in comparison to what he could give her.

"Stay there," he growled, taking his time to slide his fingers from her body, giving in to the need to suck on them and flood his mouth with the flavour of her passion. She tasted so good, sweet and musky at the same time. Licking his fingers clean, Pietro stood up, a half smile on his lips as Cassia obeyed his command. He had no doubt this was a strange experience for her, but one she seemed willing to try.

There was too much spark to the wolf to be a true submissive. While compassion and maternal emotions ran deep in Cassia, there was a soldier within too; a warrior who would go toe to toe with any threat to her pack. No, she wasn't submissive, but she acquiesced because she knew it would bring him pleasure.

That realization made his heart thump hard in his chest and his body pulse with a deep need, something he couldn't ever remember experiencing before. He had to have her and it had to be now. Stripping off his clothes quickly, he knelt back down and lengthened his talons so he could cut the denim from her body. Salvaging her clothing was irrelevant; his impatience wouldn't allow for it, and he knew she could summon new clothes if needed.

Pietro ached to touch every inch of her perfect skin and he did just that, slowly tracing the back of her calves all the way up to her inner thighs. His mouth followed his fingers, licking and tasting each savoury inch. A low rumble resonated from his chest as his ministrations encouraged the sexist of sounds from Cassia's lips. He glanced up to see her fingers buried in the grass beneath them, as if she was holding on for dear life. Despite having come once already, there was no mistaking her body's responses; she was ready for more.

JazCullen
JazCullen
6,498 Followers