The Basics of Slapstick and Other S

Story Info
Why don't more people write comedy?
785 words
3.9
8.1k
2
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Humor, especially Slapstick comedy, is a largely forgotten category on Literotica. That is sad because everyone needs a good laugh now and then. But it is understandable why Humor is not written. There are two main reasons for this.

This thesis will only deal with Slapstick. There are many different forms of comedy ranging from the Slapstick of the Marx Brothers to the non-comedy humor of Jerry Seinfeld. Some types are twisted versions of reality; others are situational.

First, writing Humor is, in some ways, harder than the other categories. In order to write Loving Wives, BDSM, Romance and so on, all you need is a vocabulary that includes "Cock," "Pussy," "Hard-on," "Tits" and so on. Coupled with an idea these make a story. The reader can fill in the images from there using his own experiences.

On the other hand, Humor requires a vast amount of imagery because this genre twists reality in a way that none of the other categories do. The rules are simple. The hero is always horny, but never gets laid. Instead, he makes some fantastic faux pas that ends up in a big pratt-fall and is left nursing his hard-on while everyone around him is "doing the nasty."

My own version of Slapstick comes from the old vaudeville acts of an age past. In those days all the women had enormous boobs, accentuated butts that moved enough to give you a headache when they walked and short skirts that barely covered their pubic regions. All the men were homely, almost a grotesque version of the horny old wino seen jacking off in the park. Together they made a wonderfully funny pair, with him trying his pathetic best to get into her pants.

There were classic routines that played in the vaudeville houses. My favorite, which I was honored to see replayed some years ago, was "The Doctor and the Nurse." That skit was so twisted in the way it was done that the audience was left with tears. And, of course, the horny old doctor was left "unsatisfied," so to speak because the Nurse is so much smarter than he.

While the mainstream fair on Literotica leaves much to the imagination of the reader, Slapstick Humor cannot. The reader of most categories has some experiences to draw from. The reader can remember his first hand job in the back seat of a 1958 Chevy. He can remember the unbelievable time his girlfriend at the time actually agreed to spread her legs for him. He can even remember the first time he awoke with that useless piece of meat between his legs got hard and how great it felt to stroke it to the gut-wrenching climax of orgasm.

But Slapstick Humor plays only on the repressed memories of adolescence. The memory of "Wendy" grabbing his cock for the first time and blowing his load all over her prom dress at the first touch is not the kind of thing one wants to remember.

Because of this, it takes more craft to write Slapstick than any other category. The words must be chosen carefully, to specifically excite only those repressed memories the reader would sooner forget. The images must be clear to the reader. The words have to summon images in the mind of the reader so he can see the action even though on a deep and dark level, these are exactly the images he has repressed most of his life.

The second reason Slapstick is forgotten is because it is a visual thing. The man who steps on a banana peel and does the famous Jack Bunny (no, it is spelled correctly) slip where he flies four feet in the air to land on his back on the sidewalk is hard to write but easy to see on stage or film. The same goes with Larry swinging a board on his shoulder to smack both Moe and Curley as he turns in a Three Stooges skit. Slapstick is physical comedy. In order to write it the author has to stimulate the visual and put it into words on the page in such a way that the reader can see it in his mind.

So, to dredge up those life images the reader would love to stay buried in his subconscious while bringing a smile to his face is the basis of the craft. It can be done and is done. I would suggest you try it. Writing Slapstick has done more to improve my own skills as a writer than anything else I could have done. If I bring a smile to the face of the reader, then I have done well. Votes do not count, chuckles do.