The Best Move I ever Made

Story Info
Unemployed young man wins Looto and how his life changes
3.7k words
4.44
86.2k
28

Part 1 of the 3 part series

Updated 10/30/2022
Created 01/30/2005
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Rellik04
Rellik04
149 Followers

Life sucks, for two years now I have been unemployed. 30 years of age and I can't get past the first door; interviews; I've had that many interviews that I can almost write the script for what were to be asked and said at them, they are nearly all identical.

I live in a single room flat, which is all I can afford on the unemployment payment I receive from the government. Every year the conditions of entitlement get harder and harder. In winter I can't afford to heat the flat, so I sit wrapped in my bed quilt, watching the TV, which I managed to retrieve from a bulk refuge collection day, outside a house nearby, if I never had my TV I would be lost. I have enough money to pay the rent and one meal a day. I manage to pay for the energy I use, but only just. In the summer here, when the temperature goes up into the high thirties or even forties Celsius, I open all windows and just sweat it out.

New clothes are out of the question; I go to the opportunity shop and get replacements, when I can manage to save enough. This has resulted in my dress appearance getting scruffier and scruffier, which in turn puts off any prospective employers from hiring me. It's a vicious circle. Hope, I can tell you is slowly dwindling.

I couldn't afford a lady friend, I have no money to spend, and even if I do meet one, they are driven away with the one thing most men crave for, a big cock. Mine is nine and a half inch long, and I have often envied the chaps who were born with a normal sized penis.

Anyway that is the background, now for the story.

I was returning from another rejection of employment, walking of course, for I couldn't even afford the bus fare. They will reimburse the fare if I apply for it, but I must produce the ticket. I can't afford the ticket, so how can I get a rebate? As I said I was walking back home and I saw all these signs for a Super Draw Lotto of $30 million to be held on Saturday.

Lying on the pavement outside one of these shops was a $5 bill and like a vulture I pounced on it and clutched it in my hand; to me this was a fortune windfall.

I walked away clutching this precious note in my hand, afraid to let it go in case it vanished. I kept thinking maybe it was a sign to play the coming lottery. So at the next Lotto Agent I went in and asked what was the least I could play and was told four entries for $1.80. I went to the counter with the tickets and chose four lots of six numbers, anywhere on the ticket. It was chance and every number has an equal chance, well that is what they keep telling us. I got my tickets authenticated and received my entry ticket. I handed over my fortune and clutching the change I headed for home.

Saturday I sat waiting for the numbers, and watched them being drawn one by one, and on one ticket the numbers coincided. My heart nearly stopped after I got four, then five and finally the whole six numbers. I couldn't believe it, in my hand was the winning ticket, or at least one of them, for in these draws people form syndicates and usually they get about a million or so each.

A million, if I get a proportion of that I'll be in heaven. I carefully put the ticket away in a drawer and almost every hour I checked that it was still there, I couldn't watch TV, sleep, or anything, and my mind was going round and round.

To say that I had a stressful weekend would be an understatement. Monday morning I watched the clock, I knew where the Lotteries Commission Building was and how long it would take me to reach there. I was determined to be there as the doors opened at nine. The ticket I had put in a small plastic envelope, put it in my shirt pocket then sewn the pocket up, I wasn't going to loose this ticket.

To pass the time I put on my small radio, which was part of my clock and the news came on. 'There is only one winner in this weekend Lottery draw and no claim has yet been made'. The announcer said. God am I the only one, did I get the numbers right, these things buzzed through my head. A multi-millionaire, if I am, I'll damn well not squander it, I've been through the mill and I will watch every cent, but I'm getting ahead of myself, calm down I kept saying to myself.

The journey to the Lotteries Commission Building took less time than I had estimated. So I was standing outside watching everyone in case they were going to pinch my ticket. Everyone was a suspect, how silly could I get, yet that was the way I was thinking. I was shaking with excitement so much that I just couldn't keep still.

As the doors opened, the lady who opened them gave me a smile, but I ignored her and went straight to the counter, took out my small penknife and cut the threads on my pocket. The person behind the counter didn't seem to bother; maybe she had seen all this before. Anyway, I handed her the plastic envelope with my ticket inside. She put the ticket in her machine, and the bells and whistles started.

On hearing this, a number of officials came out of their offices and congratulated me on being the only winner. It was correct, I had won. I sat down on the chair offered and for a minute I was lost to this world.

I was handed a cheque for the whole $30 million and a certificate to say I was a Lotto winner. I was offered a drink of fizzy alcohol, which I refused and made straight for my bank. The teller just stared at me when I handed it over.

"Can I deposit that in my account and draw just a thousand?"

"No I'm sorry it will take three working days before it can be cleared, then you can have as much as you want."

"It's from the Lotteries Commission here in town; I even have a certificate to show I am the winner."

"We can get 24 hour clearance but that will cost you $25, but must be paid in cash now."

"I suppose the bank gets 3 days interest on the $30 million as well, you're worse than robbers."

Someone in the back must have heard and a supervisor came out.

"What's the problem here?" he asked in a stern voice.

When the teller told him and showed him the cheque he spoke to me.

"I'm sorry but that is the Banking rules."

"I'll wait the three days and I'll be back Thursday to withdraw."

"Friday sir, three full working days."

"Well Friday then and I'll be looking elsewhere to conduct my banking."

I stormed out of that place furious, then I remembered I still had my bank card. I never used it, as I couldn't afford the payments; I had a $5,000 limit on that. That cheered me up; at least I could buy a complete set of clothing, so that I could feel comfortable once more.

I only purchased enough clothing to give me three changes, I will get more once I know what I was going to do, and anyway I felt on top of the world. As I made my way home, I went into the supermarket and bought six frozen meals, plus other essentials like milk and bread all paid by credit card. Why not by the end of the week I will consider this expense pocket money.

I returned home with my groceries and new clothing. First I was going to have a decent meal, so one went into the microwave and the others into the freezer compartment of the fridge. This was the most I have ever had at one sitting in the two years and I enjoyed every morsel.

Next I showered, and put on my new clothing, all my other stuff, and I mean all, were put into the bags I got with my new clothes and put in the dust bin. Nothing of the past, as far as clothing went was left.

I really like living in a high rise building, so I decide I would buy an apartment, a real upper class one. But some had wild parties and I hated noisy neighbours, for even in these places where the young, fast and wealthy live, they have noisy parties. I know, I spent three years as a policeman, and some of these were as bad as the state housing areas.

So this afternoon dressed in my new clothes, I strolled into the biggest estate agents in the state, and told them what I wanted. It took showing them my lottery winning certificate before anyone really took notice, but then they couldn't do enough for me. Here was a big fat commission, and anything Sir wanted, Sir would get.

First they showed me photos of the available apartments, and I was surprised there were so many available, many with vacant possession.

We then spent until 7pm going through some of the ones I had chosen from the list; I called it a day at this stage and said we would continue to-morrow.

"When would you like to start?"

"Let's start early pick me up at eight, then we will have time to really look at the remainder."

This was after he had taken me back to my present flat. I was beginning to find out what power one has once it's known you are wealthy. Anyway I have to pass three days doing something.

That night I wrote to the authorities who paid my unemployment benefit, told them I am no longer looking for work and to stop any further payments. I liked doing that, it gave me real satisfaction, when I thought, 'no longer looking for employment', God that was a great feeling.

We spent the next day and half the following inspecting units, there was nothing I felt comfortable in, or knew it was full of the jet set and they would be partying to all hours. I was wondering if I would ever get one I really liked. It was then I spotted a high rise block about seventeen stories high. Close to the city and overlooking the river, somehow I was attracted to this place and deep down I knew that this was the place I wanted.

"How about that building, is there any apartments for sale in there?" I pointed.

"Yes, but it's almost all elderly owners, there are three apartments for immediate occupation, one is the penthouse."

"Lets go and see them," I said knowing deep down that this was my destiny, after the lottery win I now took note of signs and feelings.

Walking into the reception area of the building I knew that this was home. We went up to the fifth floor in a whisper quiet lift. I knew this was not my unit, but the agent opened the door, which was opposite the lift and we went in. They were huge really, and very deceptive on their size from the outside. There were three bedrooms two bathrooms a study room, lounge and dinning room, a nice neat kitchen and laundry, which I was surprised was totally fitted, same with the laundry.

"Why didn't you want me to look at these units?" I asked outright.

"They aren't cheap but because they are predominately elderly owners, significantly cheaper than some of the apartments I have shown you. I thought you would rather live in a community predominately of your own age group"

"These seem roomier and with a better layout, and the whole building has a better feel about it. Let's look at the other two," well eventually we reached the penthouse unit, this was mine, I knew on walking in and it had a fantastic view of the river and city."

"This is it. How much?"

"As you can see it hasn't been occupied and I can tell you it is a real bargain for $700,000, you've seen the others they are in the millions."

By this time it was after 8 pm and still the view of the city and the river was great. I could see the ferries and the traffic flowing with their lights. It's going to be great living here after my hell hole.

"You start the procedures; I will be in to-morrow to pay the full price plus all the other add-ons. Thank you, you have done me a great service. You must know a good interior designer who would decorate and furnish this for me."

"As a matter of fact I do I'll have her at the office at eleven to-morrow. If you could come early we can get all the documents signed and completed by then, so you and she can sort out what you want."

"By the way who is she?"

"My wife!"

"I like that, I like doing business with you. Keeping it in the family." But somehow I thought it funny he being married. After spending nearly three days with him, I was certain he was gay.

The morning following as I walked into the bank a man dressed in pin striped trousers and a black jacket rushed to meet me.

"I'm the assistant district manager; I believe there was a bit of misunderstanding on Monday."

"There sure was, I think you are the most tight fisted lot I have ever met, you know that that cheque would be honoured, yet you deliberately talked down to me, and made me feel a right nerd. All I wanted was money to at least have a good meal, but no, you wouldn't let me have a small amount of the $30 million you held in my name. No, you would rather I starve than release a part of that money. Well I am going to seek financial advice, but not from you lot. I want a cheque book now, as I have an important appointment."

He was trying to usher me away from the other customers who were listening to every word and he was getting flustered.

"Please come in here and I will arrange a cheque book right away." He spoke to a clerk who was near by, who dashed away to the back.

"Please reconsider, the three people have been severely reprimanded over the affair, but we had no way of contacting you."

"I know, for I had no money to have a telephone installed."

"In the case of Lottery winners we usually allow a small advance."

"Well I got nothing, and I will never forget that."

The clerk came in with the cheque book; I signed for it and left, saying no more.

The Estate Agents were really efficient; they had everything under way with the cheque in their hands, while Mrs White that is the Interior Designer, was waiting with her husband for me to complete the transaction.

"My name is Wilma; my husband said you wanted someone to outfit your new apartment."

"That's right Wilma, do you want to come and see it?"

"I already have, I spent almost all of last night looking at it and from what my husband told me about you, I made some sketches what I think would be appropriate."

"That's efficient, let me see the sketches?"

She and her husband had got me right; there was none of the gaudy modern crappy chrome and glass, that isn't me at all, but a lovely comfortable looking environment.

"You are brilliant, that's just it and I like the wide flat TV screen, I want Pay-TV installed, and a broadband Internet connection."

"I have taken all that into account, even though the apartment has never been occupied I suggested a slight colour change to the walls."

"Right go ahead, I want to move in as soon as possible. When will you be ready?

"To-morrow if you give me a deposit now."

"To-morrow, that quick?"

"Yes we are used to this, we have people who work through the night, I can assure you it will be completed by 8am to-morrow morning."

"Here's a cheque for $15,000, will that do."

"No I would rather you gave me $5,000 and the balance, after the work is done."

"If that is how you want it, see you to-morrow morning. Do you want the keys?"

"No I have the second set, they will be left inside after we have finished. Thank you for trusting us."

Now I had to get myself a car, and a mobile phone. I'm not getting an expensive car; the hoons will only target it. I'll buy a standard family car, which will do me fine. I could have asked Mr White to take me to a car dealer, but I needed to get some cash and I have never used my account card at an ATM for so long I just wanted to be able to use it once again. Freedom from debt was wonderful.

I withdrew the maximum of $500 and if felt an enormous amount compared with what I had a week ago. Alongside the ATM was the telephone company shop, so I went in and got myself the simplest mobile handset that took prepaid, which suited me fine and arranged for installation of the telephone in my new address, but I found that Mrs White had already even arranged that, but instead of having to send me the forms to sign I signed them there, so that was now finalised.

I hailed a taxi and asked him to take me to a Ford dealer. Once there I asked the sales man if I bought a new car how long before delivery."

"Two days, at the earliest," he replied.

"I need one now to get around in."

"We will lend you a Demo model, if you purchase a new one."

We started dealing and I got a six cylinder car with all the extras, which I paid for by cheque, there and then, no good waiting. I wasn't getting any interest from my cheque account, so it is better the dealer gets it, by doing this I felt I got a better deal. The model they lent me was the same model as I had purchased with all the same extra's, so I got acquainted to where everything was, which would be the same on mine. Now I had wheels, and a new home. I sat in the car and using my mobile gave notice to the estate agents I rented the flat from, telling them that I would be vacating the flat by 8am to-morrow, and the key would be handed to the caretaker. I had a bond to be returned for I had paid four weeks in advance so when I gave them the address to send my bond too, they asked twice for confirmation.

"I've just bought an apartment there and moving in to-morrow." That will get them talking, from the low end of town renting, to the expensive end of town buying.

I drove to my old flat, collected all my personal things, which fitted into a single suitcase and went to see the caretaker, who was a pensioner doing this job to get some extra cash, I think he got free rent. He was a nice old man and his daughter stayed with him. I just called him Pops.

I handed him a hundred dollars and told him I was moving out and could he get someone to tidy up the flat for final inspection, which he did anyway. He sure was grateful, and said he would confirm that everything was correct. Also he could have anything of mine I left for himself.

I put the suitcase and my clothes in the trunk and drove to a five star hotel where I was going to spend the night.

My New Life

I was met in the reception of the apartment building, by the manager and Mrs White, who had just come down from my apartment. I never realised there were so many rules in Strata title dwellings, but they all made sense and lent themselves for consideration for other tenants. He welcomed me and kept calling me sir, which I had to get used to as I noticed that even the bank staff calls me that now. My three parking bays in the basement were by the express lift, which serviced the top ten floors, others only had two. I was told that my name had already been painted on them. After all the hand shaking etc Mrs White and I went up to my flat, on the slow lift which to me is fast enough.

When I opened the door it was like a show house, and I loved what she had done to it, I walked through the rooms and they seemed great. The study had a desk and a high back chair and I noticed a safe with the door open which was built into another cupboard, so that it looked like a set of drawers. This was my new home, I just couldn't believe it.

"Right you have done a great job when do I pay you?"

She handed me the account, I couldn't believe she done all this for the cost shown."

"Is this the final account, and I just have to pay this amount the difference?"

"Yes that's it."

"I made a cheque out and added an extra $500 to it and handed it to her."

"This is too much."

"The extra is for you, for your very efficient work."

I could see she couldn't help herself for she took me by the arms and gave me a kiss on the cheek, then realised what she had done. "I'm sorry I got carried away."

"Oh don't be sorry, I liked that."

To be continued

Rellik04
Rellik04
149 Followers