The Best of Friends Ch. 04

Story Info
Keely and Craig realize their feelings...or do they?
5.1k words
4.73
18.3k
5
4
Story does not have any tags

Part 4 of the 5 part series

Updated 11/02/2022
Created 10/30/2005
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter 4 is ready for your perusal. I apologize for the shortness of some of my chapters. I write until I reach a stopping point or until my brain freezes, whichever comes first. In this case, it took a little longer than usual for it to freeze.

~*~*~*~*~*~

After returning from her week in California, time seemed to move so quickly for Keely. Her clientele had picked up considerably, and it was all due to word of mouth. Most of her clients needed evening and weekend appointments, so she spent some of her weekdays volunteering at her former school helping out wherever they needed her.

It wasn't until she noticed a sign for the Homecoming dance near the school's office that it dawned on her that fall was here. She was marveling at how fleeting time really was when one of her former students spoke behind her.

"Good afternoon, Mrs. Emerson. Are you planning on coming to the homecoming dance or are you checking the signs for errors?"

Without turning around, Keely already knew it was Rhianna. Though she would never admit it, Rhianna was probably her most favorite student of all time. After spending fifth period science with her during Rhianna's freshman year, there was no way Keely would have ever thought she would grow to care for the kid. In fact, had people told her that Rhianna would be her favorite in a few years, she would have laughed in their faces.

Keely turned and smiled. Rhianna was an independent young girl whose mother worked two jobs. While Rhianna was a freshman, Keely had spent many hours after school trying to keep her on the straight and narrow. It had worked. Standing before her was an honor society student with a passion for learning and a penchant for all things science.

"Rhianna! How are you, and how's your mother?"

"I'm doing well. I'm starting to feel a little overwhelmed by all the college applications, but I'll manage. Mom's doing great; she just loves the new job, and it pays enough and has excellent health benefits so she only has to work there now. No more second job! Plus, her boss has told her that if she wants to go to law school, he'll foot the bill as long as she agrees to practice in his firm when she's done."

"Oh, Rhianna," she squealed with joy. "That is wonderful news! How did your mom find that job? It sounds perfect for her!"

The young girl tilted her head at Keely and studied her quizzically. "You should know," she stated.

"I should?"

"Yeah, you should. Your husband gave her the job."

"What?!?" gasped Keely. "When did this happen? Wait, you mean Paul, my ex-husband?"

"What do you mean he's your ex-husband?"

"Explain the job thing, and I'll explain the ex-husband thing."

"Do you remember when you and Mr. Emerson drove my mom and me to scout out colleges last spring over break?"

"Yes." Keely recalled how Paul had been in a foul mood when they left because he hadn't wanted to go, but he had put on a friendly façade during the excursion.

"Well, when you and I fell asleep on the drive home, Mr. Emerson was talking to my mom. I guess she mentioned that she had paralegal experience and that all the jobs she'd were part-time. He took her number and promised that the next position open would be hers. She didn't really believe him, but a week later, his paralegal quit working to be a stay-at-home mom. Mom was the first person he called. I think he must have heard enough about us from you that he wanted to help out. Now what is this about him being your ex?"

It dawned on Keely that she didn't know because at that time, she was moving out of the home she had shared with Paul. The only words she had uttered were "I'm leaving," and she hadn't waited around to hear anything from Paul.

"I filed for divorce about two weeks after that trip. By the way, I'm back to my maiden name of Jacobsen. It's a story that I don't want to rehash, plus I don't think my former student should hear about my drama. You might envision me as less of a science geek. We can't have that happen." Keely winked at Rhianna, who let out a giggle.

"Oh heaven forbid we students see you as a real human," she joked. "You know, I always thought that you should have married Mr. Emerson's brother. I liked when he came as an extra chaperone on field trips."

Just as Keely was about to ask her why the young girl thought that, the screeching of the bell filled the halls.

"Oh, I better get going. I can't be late for physics. Bye, Mrs. Emer ... Jacobsen."

"Bye sweetie." Keely spent the rest of her morning in a daze over Paul's kindness and Rhianna's unexpected declaration.

********

As she drove to meet Darbie for lunch, her thoughts kept bouncing around in her mind. She couldn't get them to coalesce; it was too much shock over Paul's generosity.

She arrived at the restaurant fifteen minutes early. With time to kill, she pulled out her cell phone and dialed. On the third ring, he picked up his direct line.

"Paul Emerson here."

"Paul, it's Keely."

"Keely?" he cheerfully greeted her. "What did I do to deserve this call?"

"Well, I was volunteering at school, and I ran into Rhianna. She told me what you did for her mother, and I wanted to thank you."

"You don't have to thank me. Beth is a dedicated employee, and she's sharp. Sharp enough that I want her to go to law school and be a partner. In fact, I should be thanking you for making me go with you three to scout colleges and apologize for being an ass prior to that trip. It was a good experience, and it gave me the chance to talk to Beth."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

He sighed. "I believe, at that point, you weren't listening to a thing I had to say. Not that I hired her to placate you, mind you. In my mind, she was hired the day we drove home. It was just a matter of a vacancy opening up here."

"You know, you really are a good guy."

"Ah, don't forget to add, 'Despite the fact that you fucked up our marriage' to that sentence," he replied dejectedly.

"You know what, Paul?" In that moment, Keely had an epiphany: she wasn't bitter anymore.

"What's that, Keely?"

"Oddly enough, I've forgiven you. People make mistakes. It's about time you forgave yourself."

Silence greeted her. Keely would have thought he hung up if it hadn't been for the shallow breathing she heard through the receiver. It dawned on her that it wasn't breathing; Paul was crying.

********

Several minutes later...

Darbie waited across from Keely as she finished her call.

"Okay, we'll talk later. Are you going to be all right? Are you sure? Okay. I'll check on you later. Bye, Paul," was all she heard, but it was enough for Darbie to give Keely a stunned look.

"Stop giving me that look," Keely snapped as she put her phone in her purse. "Don't start jumping to conclusions."

"Then why don't you explain to me why you were so civil to him?"

Darbie listened intently as Keely detailed her morning encounter with Rhianna along with the phone call that just ended. When Keely was done, Darb gently asked if Keely was sure about forgiving Paul.

"Darb, it was like a total moment of clarity. I wasn't angry any more, and it wasn't because he gave Beth a job. Although, that did help me remember that he was a good person before his one indiscretion. One mistake shouldn't negate all the good choices he's ever made."

Darb gave her an appraising stare.

"Are you thinking of getting back together with Paul?"

"Hell no!"

"Why not?"

"Because, unlike my brother, I don't share well."

Darbie snorted. The comment wasn't meant to offend. It was just a simple fact. Keely had known for years that Darb led a less than 'nilla lifestyle and assumed her own brother was part of it, too. As long as they were happy, she didn't care.

"You never know until you try," Darbie winked.

"You've said that to me how many times now?"

"Maybe a million," Darbie mused.

"Wow, that's almost as many times as you've asked Craig and I when we are going to realize we love one another."

"Speaking of Craig, how is that sexy man? Has he figured out yet that he loves you?" Darbie flashed one of her killer smiles at Keely and batted her eyelashes.

"Yeah right."

"It's only a matter of time. Mark my words."

"Don't hold your breath. He's marrying Cat."

The glass slipped from Darb's hand, but she had the quickness to upright it before it spilled all over her and the table.

"When did this happen?"

"I thought I told you when I got home from that conference at the end of August."

"Um, no, I would have remembered something like that."

"You sure? I mean, you are getting older, Darb," Keely said with mock concern.

A roll of her eyes let Keely know what she thought of that comment. "Why the hell would he marry that bitch?"

"Opposites attract, I guess."

"Did you ever mention how badly she treats you?"

"Come on, Darb. What am I going to do? Tattle on her to Craig?" Splaying the fingers of each hand on her cheeks, Keely whined, "Oh Craig, please help me. Cat is being mean to me."

"I would advise you give Cat a dose of her own medicine, but that's just not your way. You're too nice. When is the wedding?"

"Craig wanted a winter wedding; he feels summer weddings are overdone and because winter is his favorite season. However, the Ice Queen wants a June wedding."

"Figures. Is Paul going to be his best man?"

"Yeah right. Craig wasn't Paul's best man at our wedding, remember? Paul had his closest fraternity brother be his best man. Despite having shared the same womb, those two are like oil and water."

"Then who is his best man?"

"You're looking at her," muttered Keely.

"Oh my God! Tell me you are joking. How on earth did he get the Ice Queen to agree to that?"

"I'm assuming he didn't ask. He just stated. That would explain the newest level of hell she is putting me through."

"How so?"

"She can't decide if she wants me in bridesmaid gown, a gown that resembles the tuxedos in color, or in a tuxedo."

"Do you realize how out of place you would look in a tuxedo? You'll look so..." Darbie trailed off.

"Manly," Keely added. "I think that is her intention. She has never liked me. Even when they dated in college, she was absolutely horrid to me."

"You know why, don't you?"

"No, but I know you're going to tell me. Go ahead."

"She's jealous."

"Of what?"

"I'm telling you: you and Craig have a bond that neither of you even realizes. People around you can see it, but you two are blind to it. Cat is aware of it, and she punishes you for it."

Looking up to the ceiling, Keely cursed. "Here you go again."

"All right, all right, I won't mention it."

"Don't forget to add 'today' to that."

Darbie smiled and forged on. "Now that we've addressed the crappiness known as your love life, let's talk about the week at the cabin. You're coming up, right?"

"Of course. Have I missed a November retreat yet?"

"No, but Alan and I were fearful that you would this year."

"Yeah, it's all good now. Who will be there?"

For the last decade, it had been a fall ritual to invite friends up to join them at the Jacobsen cabin. Keely and Alan's father had suggested it the year that he had taken their mother on a cruise during November. The entire family couldn't be there, but he had told them they should start a new tradition.

"Alan and I, of course. Craig is coming, but Cat has begged off saying work is more important. Oh, I invited Eli and his wife, Brigid, since Paul wasn't coming. That is unless you wanted me to extend an invite to him."

"No, that's quite all right. Besides, I don't think he wants to face Alan."

"Yeah, that wouldn't be good."

They stuck their heads together and went on with planning their annual vacation.

********

November...

Evergreen trees rushed by as Alan maneuvered the SUV higher into the mountains. Keely glanced at Darbie dozing in the passenger seat. Ever since they were kids, she would always be the first one asleep on a car ride. Something about the movement of the car always lulled her to sleep, and Keely had always given her hell for it.

Unlike Darbie, she couldn't fall asleep. Giddiness filled her as she thought about being in the cabin. Since she was a little girl, the cabin had been magical, and even in her adulthood, it still held the same allure.

Alan broke into her silent revelry. "We'll be there in twenty minutes, Kee. Not that I need to tell you."

Glancing up into the rearview mirror, she caught his smile and grinned back. Alan had always teased her about the cabin. He liked it, but he didn't feel that close bond with it like she did. Her gaze fell back to the evergreens going by.

The SUV had barely come to a stop in the wide gravel driveway when Keely threw the backdoor open and bolted up the steps to unlock the front door. She knew the cabin would be stocked because Jan and Mark, friends of their family, had retired early and opened up a little general store near the lake. Their cabin was a quarter mile down the road from the Jacobsen cabin. Keely's dad had known them over twenty years, so the couple had a key and maintained it during the winter months if no one was visiting.

Fresh pine greeted her as she opened the door. Jan had taken it upon herself to remove the slip covers and clean even though the cabin hadn't sat vacant that long. Keely made a mental note to take over some fresh baked goods to Jan later in the day.

Not wanting to shirk her share of the luggage duties, Keely hurriedly joined Alan and Darbie to bring in their suitcases and the extra food. The three of them worked in the kitchen to add their food to the bounty already in the pantry and had the groceries unpacked within fifteen minutes.

Alan and Darbie disappeared down the southern hall to put luggage in their room while Keely stood in the center of the kitchen and absorbed the cabin's energy. The kitchen, which sat at an angle in the west, had only a tall island that separated it from great room so she could view almost everything.

The eastern wall of the great room consisted mostly of windows that looked out over the lake. The railing of their wrap-around deck stood beyond the windows. Hallways were to the north and south. Next to the southern hallway entrance, there was a split staircase. One way led to the enclosed loft. That was always reserved for Keely's parents. It had never been stated, but no one ever went up there to sleep. The other way led to the game room downstairs complete with pool table, card table, and wood burning stove.

On part of the north wall was a huge river rock fireplace that easily heated the entire cabin. It was the focal point of the great room. It had enough room and furniture to comfortably seat ten people, and many nights at the cabin were spent near the hearth playing board games or just sharing mulled wine.

"Hey Keely," called Alan as he stepped into the great room.

"Yeah?"

"Which room are you going to use?"

Puzzled she looked at him. Why wouldn't she use the room that had always been hers? "Mine. Why would I want to use any of the others?"

"I guess I thought you might be more comfortable in another room," her brother replied as he shrugged.

"Seriously, I'm okay. It doesn't matter that Paul and I spent time here. The cabin still holds the same magic now as it did before Paul. Nothing will change that. Besides, I know Mom took down all the pictures that were in that room. Although they wouldn't have bothered me."

"Okay, whatever you say." He shook his head in disbelief.

At that point in the conversation, Darbie poked her head into the great room. "We figured we would put Eli and Brigid on our side of the cabin. That way you won't have to share the adjoining bathroom with a couple. We'll let you share a bathroom with Craig. He knows how you are; no need to subject Brigid and Eli to that."

"And exactly how am I?"

Alan and Darbie looked at each other then at her and replied, "You're a bathroom hog."

They proceeded to hoot and howl as she muttered all the way to her room.

********

At noon, Eli and Brigid arrived with Craig in tow. Darbie led Eli and Brigid to their room and told Craig that he was family and could find his own room. He muttered, "You probably stuck me with the bathroom hog."

"Hey! I heard that!" Keely barked as she baked cookies.

Craig just chuckled and left Keely to finish baking for Jan. She knew the older lady had a sweet tooth but would never bake for herself. It was a small way to show her appreciation of Jan's care of the cabin in their absence.

As she pulled the last batch out of the oven, she noticed that everyone had congregated in the kitchen. No doubt they were awaiting the cookies. Sighing loudly, she staked a claim on the cookies on the cooling rack for Jan. Then she opened the warmer and pulled out a plate of cookies she had set aside for them.

"I'm going to head over to Jan's. Anyone want to walk with me? It's only a quarter mile. There's a path that cuts through the trees."

"I'll go with you," volunteered Brigid. "We haven't spent much time together since, uh..."

"My divorce." She noticed the sheepish look on Brigid's face and added, "It's okay to talk about it. In fact, I've talked to Paul. We're good."

If Craig had snapped his head up faster, he would have broken something. Keely saw it out of the corner of her eye but didn't respond. Instead she focused on wrapping up the cookies. She didn't want to have to explain herself to him nor defend his brother. Even though they spent time together, there was some edginess to their relationship that she couldn't explain. It had gotten worse in the last month; most of their time together was spent snapping at one another.

"Hey Brigid, don't forget to wear your hiking boots and bring gloves just in case. It's not too cold yet, but I don't want you to get a chill."

********

As the two ladies made their way to Jan and Mark's cabin, Brigid broke the silence by saying she was glad that Cat wasn't spending the week with them at the cabin.

Devoid of emotion, Keely asked why.

"I don't know. I'm just not very comfortable with her. We've been to the same functions because the guys are business partners, and she has even been to our house, but there's just something off about her."

"So what do you think of the impending nuptials?"

"Between you, me, and the trees, neither Eli nor I can figure out what Craig sees in her. She's got great business acumen, but there is something lacking in her social skills. I see it as cold and artificial. I wonder if she's always been like that."

"She was like that when they dated in college. It was a torrid on again-off again relationship. Craig would get sick of her attitude and break it off with her, and a few months later, she would come back sweet as pie. It was interesting to watch, but I will admit it was horrible to take her attitude."

"To him?"

"No, to me. Granted, she never did it in front of him, but she's always been rude to me when he wasn't around."

"I can't see Craig tolerating someone he was involved with treating his best friend so cruelly."

"That's because he doesn't know. I've never seen the reason to go crying to him. I can hold my own. Oh, we're here."

Just before Jan opened the door, Brigid confided, "I just think Cat is mean to you because you're a threat. Craig may not know his feelings for you on a conscious level, but Cat sure does."

Before Keely could ask her to expound on what she had just said, Jan opened the door and invited them in. An hour passed with Brigid taking a tour of the house and Jan sharing stories of the area. Keely really enjoyed Brigid's company and was glad that Jan took a liking to her, too. Eventually, they headed back to the Jacobsen cabin.

********

The walk home had been enjoyable. Keely had forgotten to ask Brigid about her last comment before Jan opened the door, and when she finally remembered, they were back at the cabin with everyone. She made a note to ask her about it when they were alone again.

12