The Bingo Man

Story Info
She's the big winner! 1st Prize...Love.
1.7k words
4.27
13.3k
4
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"What kind of man plays bingo?" Maryann asked with an exasperated sigh. "Where do you find all the men you've tried to fix me up with, Mother? I am not desperate; I like things as they are - just me and the kids."

"Fiddlesticks, you've been alone too long and you need some nice male companionship." Mrs. Redding replied to her only daughter.

She'd had enough 'male companionship' to last a lifetime, Maryann thought to herself. After too many unhappy years with her ex-husband, she was not interested in another relationship.

"Besides, Maryann, Roger doesn't PLAY bingo. He RUNS the bingo game!" Mrs. Redding said proudly.

Maryann groaned. "That's worse! A man who runs a bingo game for a living . I'm surprised! You always wanted me to date doctors or lawyers only."

"You're so silly - that's not his real job. Roger runs the game at St. Mary's as a favor to his uncle, the Monsignor . And he'd such a nice young man."

'A nice young man'? Maryann echoed. 'That's like the kiss of death!' she chuckled to herself.

"Humor an old lady and come with me to bingo this Wednesday. I won't try to push the two of you together. You can just check him out."

"Check him out?! Mother, what are you, 73 going on 17?"

"Sweetheart, you really must get out more. With a few exceptions, the only people you talk to are seven and nine years old. My grandchildren are, undeniably, talented and intelligent, but they're still children. You need to get out and mingle. Come with me to bingo."

Maryann knew she was fighting a losing battle. "Oh, all right, I'll come with you. But you have to promise - no matchmaking with your Bingo Man!"

The next day as Maryann raced through her morning routine, she thought about the 'bingo man' and started to laugh. She could just imagine him: short and tubby, a receding hairline, wearing polyester pants and a sweater knit by an elderly relative. 'But he's such a "nice man"' her mother declared. Ha! She dearly loved her mother, but that lady had questionable taste in men. After all, she'd liked Maryann's ex-husband.

All day, Wednesday, Maryann fretted. 'I'll go to that stupid bingo game,' she thought to herself, 'but I'm not going to enjoy myself and I'm not going to get all fixed up!'

Feeling restless, Maryann drove her mother to St. Mary's. "I'm so glad you decided to come with me tonight, sweetie." Mrs. Redding crooned. "I want you to meet all my friends." At Maryann's warning glance, she continued "and I promise I won't force anything between you and Roger."

Maryann relaxed a little. 'Maybe this won't be so bad.' she thought. 'I'll get to spend time with Mom and maybe even win some money at bingo!'

"Okey-dokey, Mom, we're here. Let's play!"

Mrs. Redding smiled, pleased at the return of her daughter's sunny disposition. 'I can't wait till she gets an eyeful of Roger!' she mused.

Armed with bingo cards and ink blotters, Maryann was ready. Spotting the bingo announcer, she chuckled - he was short, round and balding. 'Wearing sweat pants and no makeup was a smart move,' Maryann congratulated herself, not wanting to encourage the man by looking her best.

"Okay, Mom, I checked 'him' out. He may be a nice man, but he's not exactly a heart-throb. And, Mother, isn't that a wedding ring on his finger!" Maryann's shocked voice raised an octave.

"Oh, no! That's not Roger, that's Mr. Schroeder calling out the numbers and he IS married. There's Roger - over by the door."

As if in slow motion, Maryann turned toward the most gorgeous hunk of man she'd ever seen . Almost with a will of their own, Maryann's eyes greedily took in all 6'2" of him. When he headed directly to their table, she wanted the floor to swallow her up.

"Mrs. Redding, it's great to see you, again," Roger greeted warmly. "And this must be your lovely daughter, Maryann."

Maryann wanted to die. This absolutely gorgeous man seemed thrilled to meet her and she looked like a slob.

"Roger, it's good to see you, too." Mrs. Redding's smug expression turned toward her daughter. "And yes, this is Maryann. Maryann, this is Roger Peterson."

The rush of adrenaline pumping through Maryann left her nervous, edgy and speechless. No man had ever effected her that way. As Roger took the hand Maryann extended in greeting, she felt a powerful jolt of energy leap between them. Surprise registered in his eyes and she knew he'd felt it, too.

"Maryann, your mother's told me so much about you." Roger said, reluctantly releasing her hand. "We seem to have a lot in common."

"We do?" she looked at her mother, now thoroughly engrossed in bingo.

" If you don't have plans, how about going out for coffee after the game?"

Maryann panicked. 'What could he see in me' she wondered, her confidence fading. 'I'm just a single mother trying to make a life for my kids. On the other hand, what harm could come from a cup of coffee and some conversation? Roger seems so nice and so attractive.'

But she knew the harm - her ex-husband had seemed nice but turned out to be a louse. Roger was even more dangerous. The magnetic attraction she's felt toward him could mean serious heartache.

Her brain was protesting, 'I don't need the complication of getting involved with someone I could really fall for . .' while her mouth blithely answered, "I'd love to, but I have to drive Mom home, first."

"Okay, I'll follow you in my car." Roger agreed.

"That sounds great, Roger." although nervous, her voice sounded calm.

Maryann thoroughly enjoyed herself. Not only was Roger good-looking, but his sharp intelligence and keen wit matched her own. The loss of his wife to cancer several years earlier left him a single parent with two young sons. With so much in common, they laughed and talked for hours.

Later, walking arm in arm to her car, she wondered about a good night kiss.

"Thank you for going out with me."

"I had a wonderful time." They both spoke at once smiling into each others eyes.

The smiles faded as Roger slowly leaned down and brushed his lips against Maryann's soft mouth. What started as a chaste peck quickly ignited into a deep, soul searing kiss that left them breathless and stunned when Roger finally lifted his head.

As if in shock, Roger gently touched her cheek, "You are a beautiful woman, Maryann." He hesitated, as if he wanted to say more, but only said, "Goodnight" as he left for his car.

The ringing phone greeted her after work on Thursday. It was her mother. "So what to you think, dear. Do you like him?"

"Oh, yes!" She exclaimed with a sigh.

"When are you going out with him again?"

"He hasn't asked me, yet. Mom, I really like him, but my divorce was so hard on the girls. I'm not sure they're ready for their mother to date."

"Don't be a worrywart!" Mrs. Redding chastised. "The girls and I had a long talk last night. They know all about Roger and can't wait to meet him."

He seemed like a dream come true: a handsome, available man who loved children and who seemed very interested in her. 'If I'm dreaming,' she thought, 'don't wake me!'

Maryann waited all week for the phone call from Roger that didn't come. 'Wake up, girlfriend, he's not going to call,' she scolded herself. She decided to forget Roger.

Tuesday night her mother called. "Hello, darling. Tomorrow is bingo night, you're going with me, aren't you? I really enjoyed your company last week, dear. And I have it on good authority that Roger is going to be there."

"I enjoyed being with you too, Mom, but I don't want Roger to think I'm chasing him. If he'd wanted to see me he could've called, which he didn't.

"Don't be hasty. Just because you're going to bingo doesn't necessarily mean your hot for his bod."

'Hot for his bod?' she thought to herself. 'Where does she come up with these things?'

Sensing victory, Mrs. Redding continued, "My turn to drive, I'll pick you up at 5:00."

Dressing for bingo, Maryann took extra care applying make-up and selecting an outfit that highlighted her bright blue eyes. Smiling at her reflection in the mirror, she felt better than she had in a long time. 'Okay, Mr. Roger Peterson. Ready or not, here I come!'

It was the fourth game before she saw Roger who, as if sensing her stare, turned so their eyes met for the first time that night. He smiled broadly and eagerly approached her.

"Maryann, how good to see you!" Roger voice seemed heavy with emotion.

'I'll just bet,' sarcasm permeated her thoughts, 'if you're so happy to see me, why didn't you call;' Hoping to sound normal, she said, a little too cheerfully, "Hi, Roger! What a surprise!."

They chatted about the weather, the bingo game and their kids before Roger finally asked, "Maryann, would you consider going out with me again?"

Forgetting that she was in a public place, Maryann exploded. "Look Roger, you don't have to be polite and ask me out when you see me. I don't need mercy dates."

Roger's stricken look told her she had grossly misjudged him.

"May we speak in private for a moment?" Roger asked in a strained voice.

"Sure." Maryann answered quietly.

When they were alone, Roger looked deep into her eyes and tenderly touched his lips to hers. "I've been dreaming of doing that all week" he whispered.

She fell into his embrace. "So have to I" Maryann confessed with a sigh. "When you didn't call me, I thought you weren't interested!"

"I was only too interested but thought I blew it. I saw the shock on your face when I kissed you. I came on too strong and figured I pushed you away before we had a chance to get close. Besides, why would a beautiful, dynamic woman like you be interested in a single father who runs the bingo game on Wednesday nights."

"That wasn't shock you saw, it was the overwhelming sense of how right it felt to be in your arms. I feel the same way now," Maryann said as she reached up to kiss him.

"Bingo!" they heard a voice yell from the next room.

Startled they pulled apart slightly and looked at each other, laughing.

Maryann's laughter faded as she identified the emotion in Roger's green eyes. "That lady may have won the game." she told her new love, "but we've hit the jackpot!"