The Boyfriend Test

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I never gave a thought as to how you were seeing things. I guess I'd forgotten all about Holly and what she did to you. However, be that as it may, I'm still going to put in my two cents worth. Cara does love you and it is killing her that you have turned your back on her. Search your heart Frank. See if you can't find just a smidgen of forgiveness in there."

I thanked her for the apology, but didn't comment on the rest.

Saturday I was sitting at the bar at the Wheel and talking to Benny who was working behind the bar for a change when in the mirror I saw Bill Anderson and Debbie come in and take a booth. Debbie noticed me and said something to Bill and he looked over my way, said something to Debbie and then slid out of the booth and walked over toward me. He slid onto the stool next to me and Benny came over. Bill pointed at my PBR and ordered two and a white wine. Benny, being swifter than the average bear, set the two beers down in front of Bill and me and then took the white wine over to Debbie. Bill raised the beer, said "Mud in your eye" and took a pull on his beer. He set the bottle down on the bar and said:

"Can we talk?"

I nodded a yes and he said, "I'm going to touch on a sore subject, but hear me out. I know you are pissed over what you saw at Jill's party and I can't say as I blame you, but that said you need to know that nothing was going to happen. Not that I wouldn't have liked for something to happen, but there was no way that Cara was going to let it.

"You know that before you met Cara that we were tight. We had been together for six years and I had asked her to marry me. She had said yes and I had put a ring on her finger and then I went and got stupid. I got drunk at a party, made a pass at Beverly Holbrook and she took me up on it and led me off to a bedroom. I was in the saddle and going hell bent for leather when Cara walked in on us. She didn't say a word. She walked over, took the ring off her hand, grabbed Beverly left hand and pushed the ring onto Beverly's ring finger and then turned around and walked out of the room.

"I loved her Frank. I still love her, but I killed what we had and she made it clear that what I'd killed was never going to be resurrected. All I can say about the dance that you saw is that I was so glad to have her in my arms again that I danced with her the way I always had. If I had to guess I would say that she went along with it so as not to make a scene at the party, but she damned sure let me know where the bear shit in the woods when I tried to kiss her.

"After that Wednesday night at the Wheel I can understand what your mindset was and I can see how it could cause you to think what you though, but for what it is worth Cara was not going to do anything with me that night or any other night."

"Why are you telling me all this?"

"Maybe to keep you from being stupid and losing her like I did. She wants you so you still have a chance if you are smart enough to take it."

He waved Benny over and told him to give me another PBR and then he slid off the stool and went back over to sit with Debbie. I finished my beer and went home.

Over the next couple of days I thought a lot about what Bill had told me. I won't pretend that I didn't miss Cara because I did. On the other hand Cara should have known better than anyone else what it would do to me seeing her dancing with Anderson the way she was or even being told about it if I hadn't been there to see it. She should have known because she was the one who pulled me through the aftermath of Holly's betrayal.

My head was a mess. I missed her, I wanted her, but the image of her dancing with Anderson was burned into my brain and every time I thought of it or the memory flashed through my mind I had to ask myself if she knew what was going on and allowed it because it was what she really wanted. Was Anderson in the past as much as he thought he was? He was the one who told me how tight the two of them were for six years. If I took Cara back in six months or a year would she be stepping out on me with Anderson? Holly's cheating damned near killed me. Could I go through that kind of hell again? I didn't think that I could and that thought alone kept me away from Cara. Could I overcome it? Maybe, but not in the hear future.

+++++++++++++

Monday afternoon I was replacing the front axle on a Logan two horse bumper pull when my cell phone rang. I didn't recognize the number on the display, but I answered:

"Hello?"

"Is this Frank?"

"Yeah, that would be me."

"My name is Harry Wingate. I believe you know my wife Betsy."

I didn't quite know what to say, but before I could say anything he went on:

"Becky told Betsy what you told her so I'm calling to let you know that I'm okay with her enjoying herself when she is up your way. Hello? Are you there?"

"Sorry. This call has taken me quite by surprise. Not at all the sort of call I'm used to receiving."

"I can imagine. Anyway, I'm okay with it. Betsy would like to talk to you."

"Frank?"

"Yes Betsy."

"Are we covered now?"

"I guess so."

"Good. I should be up there late Thursday or early Friday. Save me some room on your calendar okay?"

"You got it. Just give me a call when you get close and forget about staying at the hotel."

"Okay baby; see you soon."

She disconnected and I stood there looking at my phone and thinking, "Now don't that just beat all."

+++++++++++++++

The rest of the week it was just work and go home. I skipped hitting any of the local watering holes. It was nice knowing that I was going to get lucky at the end of the week and wasn't going to have to go 'hunting' for it.

Betsy pulled in at five on Thursday afternoon and waited for me to punch out and then we headed for my place. Betsy wanted a shower after her long drive and I of course had to get in the shower with her and scrub her back...and her sides...and her front and, well, we didn't get to dinner until eight.

We walked into the Wheel at nine and I had only planned on staying a couple of hours since the next day was a work day for me, but Betsy was having so much fun that I didn't want to slow her down. She wanted to be out on the dance floor for every tune. Naturally there were several of Cara's girlfriends there and of course I got nasty looks from all of them.

We left around eleven-thirty and as soon as we were in my truck Betsy slid over next to me and her hand went to my zipper. She worked my cock out and said:

"I want you as hard as a rock when we get to your bed" and she bent and took me into her mouth. That was the start of a long night and I was barely able to stagger out of bed in the morning. Over breakfast Betsy told me that she didn't have to leave until the next morning and she asked if we could go to the wheel again that night.

"We don't have any good country western bars where I live and I just love to dance."

How could I refuse?

It turned out to be a weird night. We got to the Wheel early and grabbed a table. Ten minutes later Jill and Ron showed up and they asked to join us. Phyllis and Todd were next and they pushed a table over against ours and sat down and then Angie and Dave joined the group. Sally and Greg pushed over a table and joined us. While Betsy and I were out on the dance floor Anderson and Debbie took two of the empty seats. There were two open seats left when I got up and went to the bathroom and those two seats were filled when I got back.

By Cara and one of her girlfriends.

As every couple joined the group introductions were made and I guessed that Betsy had been introduced to Cara by the time I got back to my seat. I got a confirmation of sorts when Betsy gave a slight nod toward Cara and raised an eyebrow. I gave a little "yes" nod and damned if she didn't smile at me.

I'd briefed Betsy on who would likely be there and I'd given her the rundown on Cara and Anderson so she would know what was going on if some of the women there started getting catty with her. Luckily Cara was sitting at the other end of the assembled tables and I was pretty much able to ignore her.

About two hours into the evening I had to go to the gent's room again and when I got back Betsy was out on the dance floor dancing with Anderson. Jill saw me coming and she got up from the table, grabbed my arm and pulled me out onto the floor.

"Don't go crazy on us Frank. She asked him to dance; he didn't ask her."

The number ended and Jill and I walked back to the table, but Betsy and Anderson stayed out there for the next number. I was sitting there staring at them when I felt a tap on my shoulder and I looked up to see Cara standing there.

"May I have this dance?"

I glanced around and saw that all eyes were on us. I didn't want to ruin the party mood for everyone there so I stood up and Cara and I moved out onto the floor.

"She's very pretty" she said looking toward Betsy.

I made no comment.

"Frank, I'm sorry. Until you stood up on open mike night I thought you were being totally unreasonable. I felt that you were overreacting to something that meant absolutely nothing and were just being a dick about it. I never once thought about how you would have looked at it. Looking back on it I realize I should have apologized for my behavior and asked that you would please overlook it instead of acting like it was nothing and you were just being a twit. I'm sorry Frank; I really am."

She pulled away from me, hurried back to the table, grabbed her purse and headed for the door leaving me standing on the dance floor with the music still playing and everyone at the tables looking at me and thinking "Now what the fuck did you do to the poor girl."

I walked back to the table and got there just as the music ended. Betsy and Anderson came back to the table and Betsy sat down across from me and gave me a big smile and winked at me. Obviously I didn't have a clue as to what was going on. I was in the mood to leave by then, but before I could communicate that to Betsy she ordered another beer, took a pull on it and then pulled me up off my chair and led me over to where the line dancing was taking place.

There wasn't any way to talk to each other while line dancing except to talk loud enough so that everyone could hear so all I could do was smile and dance. Betsy kept me out there through three tunes and I finally grabbed her and pulled her out onto the floor when they played a waltz.

"What in the hell is going on here? What was the deal with you and Anderson?"

"I'll tell you about it when we get home. Right now I'm here having fun."

"You might be, bu..."

"Not now Frank! Just dance, okay?"

I wasn't happy, but I let it go. We drank and danced and I did loosen up a bit, but Betsy dancing with Anderson still bugged me. She danced with other guys at the tables and I danced with their wives and girlfriends. Her dancing with the other men didn't bother me at all, but I was pissed that she danced with Anderson even if it was her that asked him and not the other way around. I know it was irrational of me, but I blamed my problems with Cara on him. I know, I know, it takes two to tango but still, it was him with Cara and to see him with my date for the evening just torqued me.

I was smart enough though not to let my mood ruin my plans for the rest of the evening with Betsy. She would know that I was curious, but I wasn't going to let get a glimpse of my black mood.

At one I told her that it was time to leave if we wanted to have any kind of night at all before she had to leave on Saturday and she smiled at me and said:

"Decisions, decisions. Stay and dance or leave and play."

She chose 'play' over 'dance' and we said our goodnights and left. We got in the truck and she slid over next to me and reached for me zipper as she said:

"Don't say a word. I'll tell you in good time, but first I need to do this.

Her hot mouth surrounded my cock and I decided that my questions could wait. I only lived five minutes from the Wheel so Betsy was still working on me when I pulled into my driveway. I said we should take it into the house, but she ignored me and since I was no longer having to pay attention to my driving she got a little faster and in another minute or so she was gulping down her reward. When I was limp she took her mouth off of me and said:

"I needed to get that one out of the way. Feel better now? Dark mood gone?"

Before I could answer she had opened her door and was out of the truck and heading for the house. I followed her trail of clothing into the bedroom and when I saw her naked and spread out on the bed I decided for the second time in ten minutes that the questions could wait. Betsy turned me into a worn out husk and when she could not get me to answer the call anymore she said:

"Okay. You might not like it, but here it is. I'm a romantic at heart lover. I can be a slut sometimes, but I'm still a romantic. Your ex couldn't take her eyes off of you tonight and I could see that it was upsetting her that you were with me and not with her so I decided to be a busy body. One of the things you don't know about me is that I am a natural born bullshit detector. It is impossible to lie to me. There is just something in my makeup that can tell when I hear an untruth.

"I asked Bill to dance and I told him that I was really your cousin and not a girlfriend and then I told him I was concerned about how you were acting and behaving since your breakup with Cara and I asked him if he could shed any light on the subject for me. I got the whole story from him lover. Cara did nothing except get a little too comfortable while dancing with someone she used to care for. Bill wanted more and would have taken it if he could have gotten it, but all he got was slapped. He didn't lie to me lover. I can promise you that what he told me was the God's honest truth."

"I don't understand Betsy. Why would you want to involve yourself in this?"

"Simple lover. I want you for myself, but before that can happen I need to know that you aren't always going to have a thing for Cara. I want you lover, but I want all of you not just most of you."

"Are you crazy Betsy? You are married."

"A condition that can be changed by something called a divorce. A fairly common occurrence I'm told."

"You don't even know me Betsy. This is only the second time that we have even been together."

"Who says that you have to know someone for years and years before you can fall in love? I felt an instant connect that first time. It was so strong a feeling that I even told Becky when I saw her that I would consider leaving my husband for you. We don't have to get married next week or even this year, but I know that we will be good for the long haul. For it to work though I have to know that Cara is one hundred percent history. I'm willing to share you, but only with my sister Becky.

"On the other hand I would like for you to be happy and if Cara is the one who will do it for you I want you to have it. That's the romantic in me."

"You could leave your husband just like that?"

"My marriage is a marriage of convenience. It was passionate enough when we got married, but over time he was seduced by the dark side."

"The dark side?"

"He fought it most of his adult life, but he had bisexual tendencies and he finally gave in to them. He admitted it to me and asked me to be understanding, but I'm afraid that I couldn't do it. I told him I would be his camouflage, but our sex life was over. In this day and age of HIV and Aids I wanted no part of a relationship that involved homosexual activity. My price for staying his wife was his agreeing to let me play on my trips and just so you know that is a freedom that I have rarely exercised."

"Why would you stay in a relationship like that?"

"I did love him enough to marry him and as long as I could get my urges satisfied I saw no reason not to help him."

"Help him?"

"He is on the city council and is planning on running for county commissioner and in our conservative district his sexual proclivities were they to become known would keep him from being elected dog catcher."

"Wouldn't you divorcing him kill his chances?"

"If I divorced him for cause it would, but if he divorced me for cheating on him and did it publically enough he would come across as someone who wouldn't put up with shit and he would probably get the sympathy vote from the undecided independents. Sleep on it lover. When we wake up I'll ring your chimes one more time and then leave you for a week to think about it."

She woke me with a blow job, followed through on her threat to ring my chimes, and then headed for New Mexico to pick up three horses leaving me with more thoughts in my head than I needed. Betsy did light my fire, but so had Cara and being honest with myself I did see more of a future with Cara than Betsy. Probably because Cara and I had been together a while and Betsy, her love at first sight not something that I put a lot of credence in, had only been with me on three occasions. Yes indeed; I did have a lot to think about.

++++++++++++++++

I spent the weekend working around the house and thinking and on Monday I bit the bullet and called Cara and asked her to meet me at the Wheel after work. I laid it all out for her especially my fears about Anderson.

"Taking my reaction to the dancing because of my experience with Holly out of the equation that dance was still too suggestive of a romantic attachment that still might exist at some level and I'm worried that it might flare up sometime in the future."

"What you are telling me is that you don't think that you can trust me."

"What I am saying is that it worries me."

"Why are we here Frank? Why did you set up this talk when you have already made up your mind?"

"I haven't made up my mind about anything Cara. I'm asking questions of you and of myself. I'm looking for some kind of reassurance."

"Bullshit Frank. You have already made up your mind that you won't trust me anywhere around Bill. In your mind it is a given that something is going to happen between me and Bill sooner or later. Every time I run into Bill and it is bound to happen often in this town you will just know that it wasn't an accidental meeting. If you see us talking you will just know that we are setting up something. Even if I never say a word to Bill again for as long as I live you will just know that any time I'm late coming home or take what you think is too long to shop you will just know that I'm off somewhere with Bill. If this meeting is to talk about our future together I have to say that I don't know if it is possible anymore.

"Yes, my dance with Bill at Jill's party was inappropriate and I regret it very much. I'm sorry as hell that I let it happen even though it didn't mean squat. But it has planted a bug in your mind that will probably never go away. I'm not sure I want to go through the rest of my life with you looking over my shoulder just waiting for what you just know is going to happen."

"I guess that has to be your choice Cara, I don't really believe that I'll be as bad as the picture that you paint, but you are right that your dance with Anderson is firmly planted in my mind and I'm not sure that it will ever fade completely."

"So where does that leave us Frank?"

"I guess that it is up to you Cara. I'm of a mind to put us back together, but it sounds like you aren't so sure. You decide and let me know."

+++++++++++++++

It hasn't been easy. It took a while, but we have been able to make it work. Even though she is based out of Colorado now and has turned one of our bedrooms into an office she is still on the road a good bit. The 'goodbyes' before she leaves and the 'hellos' when she gets back are probably going to kill me some day, but oh Lord, what a way to go. Right now we are living together until her divorce becomes final. In order for her to get it I had to go down to her home town one weekend so her husband could 'catch' us in a local motel.