The Boys in Blue Ch. 18

Story Info
War and romance.
6.2k words
4.78
19.4k
3

Part 18 of the 20 part series

Updated 10/30/2022
Created 10/23/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
RobinLane
RobinLane
337 Followers

When the C17 landed at Kandahar, the four made their way to Operations to report in. There was a message for Robert, report to Wing Commander Gorman at 1400 hundred hours. He just had time to shower and change before the meeting.

Steve was there along with Mike Conway, after the usual pleasantries Steve began.

"I'm afraid that I'm the reason for your change of orders Robbie, you'll understand in a moment.

It's no secret that we failed last year to locate the main base of the opium. Consequently it got out, and the Taliban's war chest is now in credit, so you can expect them to be more active this year. That's the bad news; the good news is we may have a good lead for this year's harvest."

Mike took up the briefing.

"Last year the Taliban made a serious error; they raped a farmer's thirteen year old daughter. The farmer could do nothing about it, not withAK47 stuck in your face, he had to stand and watch.

The girl subsequently died in childbirth along with the child. Now the farmer has six other children, so he's not likely to refuse to grow poppies, not with the cash coming in from the Taliban. But once he's been paid he doesn't care what happens to the opium resin. Now his farm is the hub for the local growers, the resin is picked up from there in small batches of 2 or 3-kilo bundles. He's agreed for a cash sum to insert one of these," Mike produced a small metal disk about the size of a large button, "deep in to those bundles, it's a tracker relay, with a range of about a mile dependent on terrain, and the life of the cell is around a month, he has four of them."

Steve took over, "The idea is that when the Taliban pick up the bundles we can track them using a Predator UAV 'unmanned flying vehicle' it's almost undetectable and has a forty hour endurance, so we can keep one in constant contact with the opium, without having any ground assets that may tip them off. Once we have a central storage location, that's when your boys take it out.

Off course that's only the bones of the plan, we'll add flesh to it as we receive more information nearer the time. The main thing Robbie is that this has to be your main priority, when called for."

"When do you expect the harvest to take place?" Robert asked.

"It's been a mild winter," Mike replied, "so the experts are saying late May early June, they won't hang around with it long, but try and get it over the border to Pakistan as soon as possible."

"We are supposed to end the tour in July, let's hope it happens before." Robert replied.

Once back at Camp Bastion Robert gathered the other three pilots into his office explaining what Steve and Mike had said to him and that if orders came through that it would be their top priority to take down the storage base.

He'd arranged with Steve that one of the four would report to him each week for any update personally, rather than receive radio communication, thereby keeping security to word of mouth. This also meant that they would have to overnight in Kandahar enabling them to contact their girl.

During the rest of March and April things were reasonably quite regarding Taliban activity, most of their missions were the usual escorting Chinooks or the ground convoys re-supplying base camps.

The information he was getting from Steve indicated that the Taliban was helping the farmers with the poppy crop. He had managed to contact Terry once over that period; she had just arrived back from Barbados with her family. They had talked of this and that, and she had informed him she was pressing the recording company to start a new album so to have it completed, before he returned. He was due to return to Kandahar on the third week of May, but the week before Tim told him on his return that some of the fields were being harvested according to Steve.

On his arrival at Kandahar, he was asked to report to Wing Commanders Gorman's office as soon as possible.

He'd changed when he knocked on Steve's door, on entering he noticed a large map table had been set up inside, maps and aerial photographs covering it, Mike Conway was with Steve.

Steve got down to business right away.

"The first package of opium resin has been sent out; we've been tracking it for the past four days,"' he indicated for Robert to join him at the map table, "at the moment it's here, and it hasn't moved in the last twenty four hours."

Robert looked at the area Steve indicated; the contour lines of the map indicated a valley set in the mountain range of lower Helmand to the South East, the lines almost converging at the end of the valley.

"As you can see," Mike added, "it's a valley, but in the end the cliffs almost close it. The area was checked out a couple of years ago by ground troops apparently there's only a narrow path way in the end. Just enough room for say a donkey, but the interesting thing is that there are caves in that end."

Steve showed him some aerial shots of the end of the valley; Robert looked at Steve, Steve smiled, "I know what you're going to say, that you couldn't take it out if it's in there."

Robert nodded.

Steve continued, "Well we still need more confirmation that it is the main storage area, although it all fits. There are three more trackers to be sent out, the farmer has been instructed to put the last tracker in the final package. When that sets off, we know we have at least three days to get set."

Mike took over, "It's less than forty miles from that end of the gorge to the boarder. But to reach it, they have to travel almost twenty miles across the open valley floor before hitting the next mountain range, which separates them from the boarder. There's a road of sorts from the gorge to the boarder. The RAF intelligence experts have studied the aerials and have detected tire tracks."

"Robbie," Steve said, "our best chance of destroying the opium is when it's on that twenty mile stretch of track. What do you think?"

He hesitated, to look at the map. "I think it's our only chance," Robert replied, "but it will require careful planning, if it means that much to the Taliban then they are bound to take precautions, they'll need to know that all our air assets are engaged somewhere else before making a run to the border."

"Our thinking too," replied Mike, "can you devise a plan with your chaps and we'll meet again in two days' time."

Robert was looking down on the map, gauging the terrain, mentally working out timetables; finally he spoke.

"There's one other thing," Robert said, "the LAC, who gives the word, has to understand what the A10 can and can't do. This mission is too important for any foul-ups, so I'll be taking over as LAC for the mission."

They both looked at him for several seconds, "if you're sure," Steve said, he glanced at Mike who gave a small nod of his head, "then agreed,

I've put together a map and a copy of the aerials for you to take back to Bastion I don't need to tell you security is paramount," he said closing the meeting.

He managed to get through to Terry that night; as usual she was concerned about his welfare.

"Bobby are you eating enough you look thin in the face," was her opening remark.

"Yes darling" he chuckled "service food is supposed to keep you lean and mean."

"Some chance, you haven't got a mean bone in your body."

"Oh, but I have, well not exactly a bone, but it can get mean."

"You bloody fool," she laughed "how are things over there?"

"Like general," he replied, "bloody boring, for what good we are I may as well be on the beach in Barbados."

"Good," she said, "keep it that way, I started a new album last week, I've managed to get the company to start it, and if everything goes according to plan I should have it wrapped up by the time you return from over there."

"So I'll have you all to myself."

She nodded her head, "Oh, god, I miss you so much, it gets worse rather than better when you are not here, some nights I cry myself to sleep," a tear forming in her eyes.

'Hay less of that, it won't be long now just a few more weeks, and we'll be together.

I don't think I'll be able to contact you after tonight; we'll just have to see,"

they chatted for a few more minutes before the signal died.

As soon as he landed at Bastion he called a meeting of the others detailing an RAF Regiment soldier to stand guard at their door. Once they had filed in he asked Tim to lock the door. He'd cleared his desk once the door was locked he unrolled the map and placed the aerial photographs on to the desk.

He outlined what had been said with Steve and Mike; ending by saying we need to make a plan of attack, so let's have a think tank. How would you think if you were the Taliban?

They stood staring at the maps and photographs for several minutes, mentally absorbing the images.

"Well," said Tom, "you are right in saying they'll try to tie up our air assets; then you can bet that they'll have both Bastion and Kandahar under observation to ensure that there all in use.

"We know they don't have radar," said Tim, "but they do have eyes and binoculars so if it was me I have some of them on here and here," indicating two of the highest peaks either side of the gorge, "looking North West with one of them in contact with a cell phone to give the all clear."

"Good point Tim," said Robert, "so assuming they do, we would need to have our A10s somewhere below their point of view waiting."

"How much opium are we talking about Robbie?" Bill asked

"Best guess is around four tons," he replied.

"So," Bill continued, "If they use their standard Toyota pickups there going to need a least six to transport it, that's allowing just over 13cwt's per truck, so what sort of speed do you think they can make over that track with that sort of weight."

"They won't want to hang around, so with that weight but due to the track condition, no more than 40mph, so following your thought Bill," Robert said, "they have 30 minutes to clear that 20 mile stretch, we would need to hit them within 15 minutes of their setting off to be on the safe side."

"Well that narrows down our loiter point," said Tom, "it has to be a maximum of 15 minutes from the target."

They all studied the map for several seconds; Robert pointed to a wide valley that cut into the mountain range from the desert, checking the distance with a ruler.

"That could be ideal, its a thousand feet below their point of view and the mountains would baffle what little noise the engines make and only six miles from the target say nine minutes, what's more, within range of the Hellfire's."

"Okay, so how do we make the attack?" Tim said.

Robert gazed at the map thinking.

"When you get the go, one A10 climbs fast to clear the mountain and when it gets lazar lock fires the Hellfire at the track, the second A10 fly's straight for the target trucks, hopefully the Hellfires will have hit the track slowing them down, and it can strafe them with 30mm canon shells, by which time the first A10 can finish the job off, how's that sound?" Robert asked.

They all nodded, Robert continued, "it's going to take about twenty minutes, say twenty five to get on station from Kandahar as you will have to head North initially before turning South once out of sight of the airport. Two A10s can take up station and loiter there."

"Fine," said Tim "but how long do we have to loiter; we'll have probably four possibly four and half-hours of fuel before having to refuel. Do the other two A10's relieve us?"

"The A10s won't take up station until they get the word that something is about to happen that will leave one A10 has backup, has I'll be LAC on this mission." Robert announced.

A howl of protest came from the other three.

"No argument gentlemen it's my decision, and I've made it, when the aircraft gets to thirty percent fuel, it can return to Kandahar to refuel but not before warning the third A10 to take off to take up station, obviously you'll all head North before swinging South once out of sight of Kandahar. The third A10 can fly directly to the target has the balloon will have gone up by the time it's needed. Tim you will be in charge of forming a time table of who is doing what and when, we'll be using Wild Boar call sign's."

The meeting broke up, but Tim stayed behind after the door shut.

"Robbie you don't have to do this, I can handle the LAC job, you're a married man for god's sake, and you know all hells going to break out when we destroy the target."

"Thanks Tim," he replied, "but it's no more dangerous than what you'll be doing, and you'll be a married man shortly."

"Tell that to the Marines Robbie, but I'm the sap who has to face Terry if anything goes wrong."

"It won't go wrong, trust me, I have the best pilots in the RAF backing me up," he said ending the conversation.

The next day he returned to Kandahar. Once in Steve's office he related what the others had discussed the day before.

After he had finished Mike said

"I take you point about them using lookouts. To bring you up to date, the second package arrived two days ago, and the third is on its way, we expect the last one to leave in the next forty-eight hours. Robbie we need to get our teams in tonight to take up position overlooking the mouth of the gorge. You will go in tomorrow night; I'm afraid it means a four mile hike up the mountain with a pack on your back, but someone will be there to guide and help you. Is there anything else you can think of that needs to be done?'

Robert thought for a moment, "If you have men on the ground is it possible for them to place a lazar reflector about here' indicating a point about eight miles from the end of the track, it would help enormously for the Hellfire's to lock on to. All so, I'll need radio contact with the flight back at Kandahar in order to tell them when to deploy."

"Radio has already been sorted, Flight Lieutenant Burton will be receiving one tomorrow, it's a special encrypted set that matches the one you will be carrying, needless to say, the Taliban can't listen in with it. They will receive orders to come down to Kandahar, supposedly to service the aircraft. Regarding the reflector, I'll have the men going in tonight take one in and set it up. Robbie," Steve said, "we have a company of Para's who have taken up position at the head of the valley, unfortunately we, couldn't get them any closer than five miles away in case they were spotted. There's also a company ready to insert through Chinooks once the balloon goes up, they'll come in at the gorge end. But it's going to take up to forty five minutes for them all to get there, up till then you and the six man team will be on your own, I don't need to tell you what that means." He paused to let that information sink in. "Well if there nothing more I suggest you have an early night you may not get any sleep later, don't worry about your pack that will be done for you.'

Robert returned to his room; he toyed with the idea of contacting Terry on the laptop, but decided against it, she could read him like a book, and she would guess something was wrong. Instead, he typed out a long letter, and down loaded it on to his memory stick, taking it to the communications annex he had it printed out, after signing it he sealed it and just wrote Terry on the front. He would give it to Tim; to pass it on to her if the worse happened.

The next morning he watched as the A10s circled breaking off to land one after the other, the ground crews rushing to refuel them. He waited in his room until he heard their footsteps trooping in to the compound.

Tim was the first to enter his room, "I'm ordered to report to Steve, he said something about a radio".

Robert explained about it and told him about the laser reflector.

"Tim I'm going in tonight, it sounds like it's going to kick off within twenty four hours," he handed him the envelope, "if I don't make it will you see Terry has this, and my personal effects," he handed over the Rolex, wallet and gold signet ring, "don't let anyone have the photo case but Terry."

"Robbie won't you please reconsider and let me go," Tim pleaded.

He shook his head, "when you have a squadron, you'll have to make tough decisions too, just make sure you're there when I call you."

Chapter 39

He was called to prepare himself; an SAS Corporal helped him change into desert camouflage handing him a 9mm Glock automatic pistol that he strapped to his leg. He then showed him the basics of the M16 rifle, and the setup of the radio, before putting his body armour on; he left the Kevlar helmet off for the time being. He winced when he felt the weight of the Bergen rucksack.

"You have a radio in there Sir with spare batteries, also ten magazines for the M16 and four for the Glock. There are four bottles of water and a forty-eight hour pack of self-heating rations plus a medical kit. You also have 10x50 binoculars in there. We've kept the kit down to just the bare essentials to reduce the weight for you."

"Thank you Corporal," he said wondering what a normal load consisted of.

At nine pm he was led out to a black Lynx helicopter, which once he was on board it took off, dropping him off an hour later and quickly departing.

He was stood struggling to get the Bergen onto his back when a figure materialised out of nowhere, "Squadron Leader Barlow," the figure asked quietly. "Robbie's fine Corporal," noticing the chevrons on his tag attached to his body amour' he knew with these men rank didn't cut it, only ability. The camouflaged face smiled, "Its Bert Robbie, follow me carefully."

After the first two miles his back ached, then his legs, by the time Bert stopped every bone in his body was protesting, and he was covered in sweat.

Bert had stopped at what appeared to be a ledge, he could see down to the valley below through the moonlight breaking through the clouds.

"Come here and get down," he heard a voice whisper it seemed to come from the rock face behind him. Bert guided him to one side and then he saw that the rock face was, in fact, cut back at the base revealing a shallow depression two men were laid in it. A camouflaged net cunningly placed to give the effect of solid rock face.

He shrugged of the Bergen and entered; the men moved over to give him room.

"Robbie this is Walt and Jim." Bert said; he nodded to them noticing that Jim was a Sergeant.

"Well, Robbie," Jim said, "you had better check your radio."

He undid the Bergen, finding the plastic case that contained the radio, on the case was a card with the various frequencies he would use A10, Kandahar Opps and Para. It was set for Kandahar Opps he extended the small umbrella type aerial and fitted the head phones to his ears, switching on the set he waited a moment as a soft glow steadied. He depressed the transmit button twice paused then twice again; he heard three bleeps in his headphones before closing down the radio, Kandahar would know he'd arrived.

"You had better get some sleep while you can," Jim said.

Robert didn't need any urging he was worn out; he placed his head between his folded arms and was asleep almost instantly.

He felt his arm being shaken, blinking several times before getting his eyes into focus. Jim was staring at him a finger across his lips; Robert nodded understanding, Jim removed the finger replacing it with two fingers pointing to his eyes, and then he pointed to two points across the valley the finger pointing upwards. Robert moved his head slowly, and then he saw them; two figures on each of the two highest points of the gorge exactly has Tim had predicted.

He reached for his binoculars focusing on the nearest pair who was 650 meters away. Both men, had AK47 slung on their shoulders, one had the black Taliban head turban, but the second one had no head coverage; Al Qaeda Robert guessed. The one with the turban was sweeping the skies to the Northwest with powerful binoculars the rising sun out lining them clearly. He focused on the farthest pair some 900 meters away; again, one was checking the North and West approaches.

RobinLane
RobinLane
337 Followers
12