The Brass Statuettes Ch. 10

Story Info
Laughing of the Children.
5.3k words
4.57
7.6k
0

Part 10 of the 22 part series

Updated 10/15/2022
Created 12/24/2007
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter 10 Laughing of the Children

When Frank walked into the office the next day the New York financial markets were just opening. In his eagerness to start his workday he'd been a little brusque with Floyd, and that made him feel bad. The older man looked confused with the break in their daily routine.

Frank clicked on the internet and breathed a sigh of relief. Western's stock price had started trading unchanged and that meant that Murray Shoreham had stalled on passing a big block of shares at the opening. His brief visit the day before had been a success. Frank knew that he'd brushed the boundaries of the rules in leaving the copy of the 10-Q exposed. He didn't like doing it; he was in a fight and meant to win.

He'd just begun to lean back in his chair to savor his victory when there was a sharp knock-knock on his door. Before he could answer the door opened and Floyd ventured into the office.

"You forgot this, Mr. Bennett." He was carrying two cups of steaming coffee.

"Hi, Floyd," Frank answered. "I'm sorry I was short with you this morning. I didn't mean it. It's just that I had something on my mind."

Floyd set one of the cups on the desk in front of Frank and settled into a chair opposite. "That's okay, Mr. Bennett. I understand; you've got that troubled look."

"A troubled look for troubled times," Frank mused.

"Anything you want to talk about?" Floyd asked. "I'm a good listener.

"No, no; just the same-old—same-old." He threw his lips around the brim of the steaming cup to give himself an excuse for not elaborating further.

"It's about all that trouble in the stock market, isn't it?" Floyd queried. "Do they have any idea what happened?"

"No—nothing new. I'm getting to the point where I don't even care what happened. We've just got to put it behind us and get on with things."

"I suppose they'll start investigatin' and questioning everyone," Floyd speculated.

Frank chuckled. "Why do you ask Floyd? Getting nervous?" He laughed and Floyd laughed with him.

"Maybe a little, sir. I might better buy a book about the stock market and study up on it, because I won't even know enough to answer their questions if I don't." He laughed again.

"I tell you what," Frank replied. "We'll go fifty-fifty. You read it first and then I will. Then we'll quiz each other, because after everything that's happened I don't think I know much about the stock market, either." That brought a heartier laugh from the two men. They looked at each other with a 'what's next' look.

"You better get outta here before Jeannette comes in," Frank warned. "She's already caught me drinking coffee from you once. Besides, Mr. Warner wrote me an order and said I wasn't allowed to laugh until this whole thing was cleared up."

"Now I know you're pullin' my leg, Mr. Bennett," Floyd answered with a smile. "I've got work to do, anyway." He rose from his chair and picked the two empty coffee cups up from the desk and made his way to the door.

"Hey Floyd," Frank called out as Floyd was just leaving. He turned and waited for Frank's instructions. "Thanks!" Frank said. Floyd touched his right hand to his forehead in a casual salute and left.

*************

Not three minutes passed after Floyd left when Alvin walked into Frank's office and closed the door. He didn't say anything until he took the chair that Floyd had just vacated.

"Another complication," he announced. "We certainly don't need this, but I'm powerless to do anything about it."

"What's up?" Frank asked. "Complications are my middle name."

"Joke if you want to," Alvin said. "You won't like it when you hear it."

"Well, I haven't heard anything yet."

It's just this," Alvin explained. "Herr Mueller is arriving tomorrow. He's insisting on a special meeting of the Finance Committee."

"I'm not surprised," Frank said. "A lot's happened lately. He's sure to have a good dose of heartburn over the Wertheim deal falling apart."

"Heartburn doesn't scratch the surface," Alvin told him. "Jim Sweeney tried to put it off, but Mueller would hear none of it. Lambert is backing Mueller and he carries a lot of weight. Mueller doesn't have a quorum yet, but Jim thought it wiser to accommodate him before he started campaigning with the other Committee Members."

"Better to get everything out on the table sooner than later. If the Board starts splintering we'll have a hard time holding things together. Shoreham and all the others will bail out as soon as there's a whiff of it."

"You should be ready to brief the committee on the whole thing. You'll have to put aside anything you had planned. It would be nice if you had some good news on the Chase deal."

"I would consider that one all but dead," Frank said.

Alvin's jaw dropped. "That's not good. And you said yesterday..."

"I stretched it a little for Murray Shoreham. Officially, we can reopen it, but from the tone I got from my contact there, we shouldn't expect much."

"What're you gonna do?" Alvin queried, in a voice that was pleading for hope.

"We've got some options," Frank answered. "We can go to Chase's competitors, of course. I have a different idea, though. Chase was going to lay off the bulk of the credits to secondary lenders. If I can find out who they were, we can try to put the deal together ourselves without Chase's help. I thought we might layer the R&D needs in tiers and let them come in a layer at a time."

"Do you think that'll work?" Alvin asked, raising hopeful eyebrows.

"It's riskier," Frank said. "It would be easier for any of them to opt out before the process goes its full course. Except for that, it wouldn't be much different because we wouldn't be able to use all the funds at the outset, anyway. My hope is that in a few years Chase will see what they missed out on and ask back in—possibly as a guarantor."

"You'd let 'em" Alvin asked.

"Sure, for better terms."

"Sounds tricky," Alvin pointed out.

"First we've got to get that 10-Q released, and get the rest of this scandal behind us. After that, the big thing will be to perform on the goals for the first tier in order to free up the funds for the second, then the third, and so forth."

"And you're sure we can do it..."

"We need to get Jason back in the swing. He holds the key to the R&D box.. I suggest that you follow through with what you said and have him report to Blake. He'll keep his feet to the fire."

"The Committee will need to understand this," Alvin advised. "And if you haven't already guessed, Herr Mueller's agenda is completely different. I would expect that he's lookin' for your scalp."

"We should have Al Crossman meet with the Committee, too," Frank said, skipping past Alvin's warning.

"I'll be sitting in the meetings as Board Chairman, but I'm not actually a member of the Committee," Alvin continued. "I know that Jim Sweeney is behind you."

"I know I'm on the hot seat, Alvin," Frank finally acknowledged. "I've been expecting this. There's too much at stake to get caught up in it. If I let myself do that, everything will come apart anyway, so what use would this fancy office be to me?"

"I think you could get Murray Shoreham on your side, too."

"I'd rather not get Murray involved," Frank said. "He's as nervous as a whore in church. Another tweak might make him jump ship."

Alvin heaved a deep sigh and shook his head. "I was a fighter like you when I was younger."

"I'm not sweatin' it, Alvin, and I'm not givin' up, either. I think it'll be alright."

**************

With the Directors on the Finance Committee assembling in town, Alvin's chauffer was pressed into service on company business, which forced Gloria to prevail on Brenda for a ride to the Sunrise School. Brenda arrived early. She and Gloria had coffee before driving over.

"Sometimes I don't understand you, Gloria," Brenda said. "It wasn't very long ago that you were complaining about how Trudy was a thorn in your side and she had to be dealt with."

"I know, Bren. That was the old Gloria. I was unhappy then. I didn't think Alvin loved me. Now he does, and I look at everything differently."

"So, you think Alvin changed—just like that?" Brenda asked, snapping her fingers. "I don't think people are capable of changing."

"It wasn't changing, as much as rearranging things," Gloria answered. "All I had to do was not turn away when he came to me. It was all so easy. I would never have thought it was so easy."

"And you didn't have to change—or I mean rearrange anything of your own?"

"No, not really."

"You're drinking a lot less, for one thing," Brenda pointed out.

"Maybe just that," Gloria conceded.

"And then there's..."

"What should I have had to do?" Gloria demanded.

Brenda put aside her friend's indignation. "Well, there's Raul."

"Yes," Gloria admitted. "There is that. But otherwise, I don't see what you mean."

"So, you fired Raul?"

"No," Gloria replied. "Why should I? I still need a Personal Trainer to stay in shape."

"There are plenty of those," Brenda answered. "I just thought with Raul's history of doing double duty..."

"You mean you think I'd be tempted. Don't worry about that. As long as Alvin keeps wearing me out, there'll be no need for Raul's extra services. I can keep him around just to prove that I'm getting all I need from Alvin."

"Prove to whom?" Brenda asked. "To yourself? Maybe you want to prove it to Raul."

"No! None of those," Gloria growled. "Maybe I'll prove it to you."

"Why would it be important to prove it to me?"

"Because I said so," Gloria snapped back. "To you—to everyone and no one—just to prove it."

"Whatever you say, Gloria. Besides, if Raul's still around he could be a safety valve in case this thing with Alvin is short-term instead of long-term."

"Long-term, short-term; who knows what's the difference?" Gloria asked. "Tomorrows are just borrowed yesterdays. Let me know if you figure it out. I'm tired of trying to understand it and I certainly don't want to argue over it."

Brenda wasn't sure how to answer Gloria's riddle, so she shrugged and let it fall to the side. A change of subject was in order because she sensed that soon it would be her turn to reach inside herself and pour out some private emotion, wish or fear. She kept those elements locked in a safe place, releasing them on rare occasions when she chose to do so. She was very strict with herself about choosing the correct setting, and the moment at hand didn't qualify.

"So, where does Trudy fit into all this?" she asked.

"As much as I'm surprised to admit it," Gloria said, "I owe Trudy a lot. For one thing, she helped us straighten out the Foundation."

"What else?" Brenda asked. "You said 'for one thing'."

Gloria paused before she answered. Then she blushed and then finally grinned. "Alvin confided to me that it was Trudy and Frank's marriage that made him come to me. He wants some of what they have."

"So, you thought you'd treat Trudy to a visit to the school as a big 'thank you'?"

"Yes," Gloria acknowledged. "Lunch, too," she hastily added. "But don't say a word of this too her. It's strictly between you and me."

As Brenda prepared her answer the doorbell rang. They heard Juana open the door. "Señora Trudy!" she cried. "Weel-come. I weel tell dee Señora."

"Just bring her right out," Gloria yelled out.

"That's okay, I know my way," Trudy said.

Trudy walked out to the veranda where Gloria and Brenda awaited her. Trudy was smiling broadly as she approached them. Gloria stood and gave her a hug, and Brenda followed her lead.

"Café for Señora Trudy," Juana chirped. She set a steaming cup on the table.

"No thanks; I'm all set," Trudy said. "I had some before I left the house."

"Oh, have some," Gloria pleaded. "Brenda and I just started our second cup. Then we'll get started."

Trudy shrugged and sat at the round table where Juana had placed her cup. Gloria and Brenda found their places and sat down, too.

"I'm so glad you could come with us today," Gloria said as Trudy raised the steaming cup to her lips.

Trudy took a sip and set the cup down. "Thanks for inviting me. It was a total surprise. It should be a nice time."

"I thought you'd like to see what all your hard work helps to support. You did such a fine job getting the Foundation's paperwork straightened out. The children are a real treat. You'll see."

"It's been a while since my girls were in preschool," Trudy admitted. "I guess we're not getting any younger."

Gloria's sunny expression suddenly darkened. "Oh, yes," she mumbled. "I forgot—you have children."

"Maybe you can give us a few pointers," Brenda said, glancing at Gloria out of the corner of her eye. Gloria's eyes were cast down at the table.

"Like I said," Trudy replied, "it's been a long time for me. As I remember, there aren't many pointers to give. You just act naturally and the kids will do the same."

"What if that's not enough?" Gloria hissed.

"It's always enough," Trudy answered. She looked at Brenda for help, but Brenda detached herself from the conversation. "It's the only way. I'm sure that you've seen that for yourself, Gloria."

Gloria didn't look up and didn't answer.

"Of course," Brenda finally spoke. "If it wasn't for Gloria the children wouldn't have a school to go to."

Gloria's face brightened a little. Brenda had known that it would. She had the key to Gloria's moods—a power held by no one else. It was for Brenda to wind Gloria down at the proper time—and for her to determine the correct moment and means to do it. It was a responsibility as well as a power, and she employed it wisely.

*************

The three women finished their coffees and then quickly piled into Brenda's car to set off for Sunrise School. As Brenda drove she wondered to herself if it had been wise to invite Trudy for a drink from the grail. After Trudy's instruction about acting naturally with the children, Brenda was certain that they would be attracted to the tall lady with the yellow hair and broad smile who was, somehow, homely and pretty at the same time. It was a smile that lacked sophistication and discernment—Brenda knew that. Could one blame the children for not realizing it? If Gloria suspected that Trudy was gulping from the grail when only a sip was offered, things could get unpleasant. Brenda suspected that Trudy was the gulping type.

Along the way Trudy was chattering away. She asked Gloria how she had come upon such a wonderful idea to sponsor the school and admitted how fortunate they all were to have a chance to have a small part to play in it. Gloria ate it up with a spoon, of course. Brenda began to suspect that Trudy was more sophisticated—albeit in a sneaky way—than she had first assumed. It was obvious that she was setting Gloria up for the big fall. To what end was still a mystery. It didn't matter because Brenda knew that when it happened she would be in her usual place, picking up the pieces—putting them back together. The new Gloria would be no more. The real her—the old one—would come back to life.

"There it is," Gloria called out from the front passenger's seat. She pointed to the freshly painted stucco building. It had the Sunrise sign over the front door with the half-sun and the warm rays streaming from it. The brightly painted tan walls with the green and pink trim under the terra-cotta roof was the nicest building in the neighborhood of drab buildings of worn, muddy colors and overwhelming graffiti.

"Looks like a nice place," Trudy called back.

"It's important to make a positive statement," Gloria agreed. "Of course, it's only a matter of time before that wall gets some kind of graffiti sprayed on it. That's just part of the territory. When it does, I'll have it repainted."

"That could get expensive," Trudy warned.

"Maybe," Gloria agreed. "We have to send the message that we won't stand for anyone spoiling our dreams."

As Brenda parked the car Madeline appeared at the front door waiting for them.

"Hello, we're glad to see you," she cheerfully greeted them. Gloria introduced Trudy to Madeleine. "We were just about to do our ABC's," Maddy announced.

"Oh, can I?" Gloria pleaded.

"That's what we were waiting for," Maddy answered. They went straight to the Assembly Room where the young students were seated on the floor on their 'nap-mats'. Madeleine strode to the front of the class. Behind her there were cards mounted on the wall with the English and Spanish alphabets in upper and lower case letters. The three visitors stood to the side.

"It's time for our ABC's, children," she said. "I'll lead you through the Spanish letters first. Then, we'll do English. I asked Señora Gloria to lead us through those." The children all turned to catch a glance of their benefactor, standing with Brenda and Trudy.

"Good morning, Señora Gloria." Gloria blushed when the children chanted in unison as Maddy led them. Without waiting any longer she led them through the letters.

When they were done, Gloria hurried to the front of the class and took the baton from the teacher. "Do you remember the 'Alphabet Song', children?" she asked. Without waiting for the answer she started singing the familiar tune while pointing to the English letters on the cards. "A-B-C-D-E-F-G..." The children fell into the song, a little weakly. Gloria didn't appear to notice. To Brenda, it looked as though she was dreaming as she sang out the letters, imagining the children as she wanted them to be. Finally, they finished the song.

A precocious little girl stood up among the score of children. "Señora Gloria, who is that new lady?" she asked as she pointed at Trudy.

"That's my friend, Señora Trudy," Gloria answered. "I asked her to come with me to visit you today." The girl sat back down.

"Why don't we have Señora Trudy lead the children through the ABC's, too?" Brenda blurted out. She knew it was unfair surprise to pull on Trudy, but she thought Gloria's morale could use a boost and she would enjoy instructing the stumbling newcomer. The children shouted in glee. Trudy raised her hands to her face to catch her breath and then started to giggle in a sheepish way.

"I couldn't; I don't know how," she stammered, still laughing.

"Yes—yes," the children were yelling.

"They're insisting that you try it," Gloria called over. She held the baton out for her. "Everyone knows their ABC's."

The children were howling even louder and Trudy made her way to the front of the assembly. Her cheeks had turned a rosy red against shoulder-length flaxen hair her and she looked awkward as she stood a full head taller than her new mentor. When she finally arrived at her place she slowly reached out and took the baton from Gloria.

"Don't worry, dear. They won't bite. I was nervous my first time, too." Gloria hesitated a moment, as if she would stay and help Trudy, but then relinquished her place in the front and went to stand alongside Brenda and Maddy. "It'll be okay," she whispered to Brenda. "I'll rescue her if she falls apart."

At the front of the class Trudy paused, looking out over the collection of curious faces. The children had ceased their cheering and fallen into silent curiosity as they perused this new Anglo lady. "Well kids," she said with her abashed smile still implanted on her face, "I'm not sure I know how to do this. Would you like to try it a little different way?" The students answered with a resounding cheer. Trudy set the baton on a nearby podium. "Okay, then, let's go!"

Trudy hopped up into the air and landed with her feet spread apart and arms crossed in front of her chest. "A!" she called out.

12