The Champion's Companion Ch. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You would do all that?" She asked rolling over and lying back onto him

"Yes, similar plans are put forth if the King ever visits other capitals on rare occasions. I do believe however that we'll be quite capable of defending ourselves and our intentions while we're there." He side idly running his hands over her body.

A soft tap roused them and Marcos cursed and rolled for the door. He opened it enough to intentionally show his state of undress as an unmoved grey maid handed him a note and departed.

Grumbling he dressed. "I must be present at the courts, several of today's swindlers and cheats have a hearing"

Kaarthen turned to him. "I see. Will you take the prince?"

"Yes, why?" Marcos said shuffling on pants, blouse, swords, and his robe.

"Perhaps Rinis should take a turn watching him." Marcos raised a brow. "Ein seems to think violence against him is not worth deterrence. Perhaps some time for her to cool would be best."

"Sounds fair. Not professional, but then most people don't actively work against their bodyguard and Ein isn't trained to be a wet nurse." Marcos said chuckled ruefully.

Outside, Marcos told Ein of the changes and collected Rinis and the prince. The municipal complexes they bordered were easy walking distance. The prince however still balked when the Manor's door opened revealing the sunny street and not a waiting carriage.

"We can't walk! What is this? Menthino had a carriage for us earlier!" He said looking around for the tardy carriage. "We are forgetting our...my station as prince, walking separates us from them." He said pointing at the same impassive grey maid who stood at the door.

Marcos tugged him through the door and Rinis followed with perhaps a tiny grin. The walk was not worth two minutes of unabridged lectures, pleas, and curses. Marcos wondered for the innumerable time just how a sickly boy could talk for two minutes straight till he was red in the face about his health, the injustices of the day, and the inequality of the literally pedestrian means forced on him. He resolved to get a trust worthy physician to make a look and get this settled.

The tirade sputtered out as they walked into the door of the Customs Courthouse. The city had its own court but offenses of bilking the Crown were served by the Crown. They got directions, turned after consulting the reception clerk, and walked down a hallway to the right. They stepped into an office that held an older officer, Princess Ruegin, and her Hjordis who stood off to the side. They both rose as he entered, not for propriety, but to make entreaties of opinion.

The princess started first. "Four men were caught today. One had some small stones in one of his bags of pears. Two others had large obvious rocks in their sacks of poms and the bags were tied so they had to be cut open to be weighed. Another man tried to repeatedly pass off several sacks of rocks onto different check stands. In my opinion all are subject to punishment under equal law." She said waving signed and sealed papers for him. "The court officer is respectfully proposing to execute the family man and his pebbles, or give him a lighter sentence. Something about socially just. I on the other hand, want him forgiven at the Harvest ceremony when they let out the pardoned before the execution."

Marcos smiled inwardly and turned to the pouting prince behind him. "Did you catch all that?"

"Thieves and liars, send them to hang." The prince said thoughtlessly. He was as predictable as rain Marcos thought.

The princess protested. "This is highly irregular, he is not within means, or title for passing judgment."

"Well it's advice I count highly, and I can judge freely upon his statements." Marcos said dismissively and turned to the boy.

The princess blinked at him. She knew Marcos too well to take situations at face value. She knew if Marcos got the prince involved then Prince Monto was the target. Quickly she understood what she needed to do the prince himself had said it.

"Prince Carthin, the law states in capital punishment the executor is chosen by the agent or office that has jurisdiction." She said turning quickly onto the presiding officer who paled. "Would you pick the noble who can execute under clear conscience please?"

The Officer stiffened for a moment, and Princess Ruegin's hand twitched slightly. They stared at each other and unspoken words were passed.

"I will freely choose the nominated executor as the duties of my office are entitled." He stated clearly with flat formality.

Princess Ruegin relaxed slightly and turned to the prince with a faint grin. "Prince Carthin," she said exaggerating the name. "The facts are as previously stated. Will you state, for the required annotation, the judgment for the four?"

"Hang them, what's with all this?" He said, not even vaguely understanding his error. With two words, he dug himself deeper into an embarrassment.

"In Cardin they don't use rope for execution. You will have to execute by blade at the end of ceremonies at the Harvest festival." Marcos said quietly as the princess and officer looked at the floor. "Be happy, in some places execution is by assisted drowning." However, not in Menthino he didn't add. Any executor who did it once quickly retired.

The prince paled slightly and straightened. He tried to mentally distanced himself from the truth and used the distance of time to take some comfort. "Well...I guess... they could still be..."

Marcos clapped him on the shoulder. "This is the first day of Harvest. Why wait two weeks? I feel that we may need to start the process now. Bring the prisoners out to the wall." Marcos said airily, and shattering the prince's illusions as he dragged him out.

The 'wall' was an old execution site used for the other times of the year. Nameless smugglers and traffickers of all things died on the grounds. They walked out quickly to it and stood silently as the four men were escorted in. They had a moment to note the funereal atmosphere the shaded dank corner seemed to have. Blacken splatters of blood on the wall and crows overhead made the area come alive with morbid creepiness. The prisoners were led in after a moment from the opposite side. They had been shackled by the wrist and were all connected by a dark chain. They all were dirty looking and wore homespun or linen shirts and pants of various shades of brown.

The one in front was tan and rounded from living the farmers' lifestyle. The other three were noticeably less tan and were stringy. The middle two seemed related, but the one in back had a hard cold look about him. He was steely-eyed and knew what the place was before the men were made to kneel.

After they kneeled, the prisoner escort locked the ends of the chain to the wall. Rings on the wall connected to both sides of the chain. It created an illusion of strapping them down. The effect was psychological for the prisoners. Like prison bars, they were restrained and held back from freedom by the cold metal they could see past but not cross. Like jailed prisoners in a cell, the middle two tried to push away the chain and fight to extend their world. The prisoners already felt the separation from the living.

The farmer sniveled and cried on his knees pitifully. Marcos hoped he would be the sacrifice to make a Prince who could save thousands as a King. The others were mere criminals and Marcos wanted Prince Carthin to see the difference before he killed them.

He drew his straight sword. The prisoners all flinched. He smiled inwardly, turned, and elaborately offered the blade to Prince Carthin who reluctantly took it. Everyone watched him for his expression, posture, actions, or words.

His lack of training showed, and he almost dropped the blade before using two hands. He stood aghast staring at it like a phallus of death extending down and away from him.

"Have the prisoners been questioned?" Princess Ruegin asked stepping forward. She still had more moves to make. The prince was left the furthest back as everyone stepped forward.

"You," She said indicating the obvious farmer. "What were you caught with?"

No one who stood moved or spoke further, as the despondent man simply wept. The other three prisoners shuffled on their knees to look at him. They thought if he had a chance maybe they had a chance out of their unfortunate predicament.

"Hurry I have a harvest to administrate." She said trying to urge him.

"I ...was....I didn't know...the...rocks were in the bottom I guess... Highness, I didn't know."

"The rules say nothing extra for just this type of reason," Princess Ruegin said coldly. She turned to the next prisoner.

"You two had bags tied and sewn shut. They were full of fist-sized stones. You tried to sell half a cart of dirt to the Crown." She said equally coldly. "There is no question of your intentions. What would you say on your own behalf?"

"We don't deserve this highness. We are just trying to get along. The war forced us out here. We're not farmers."

"I don't doubt it, rock farmers don't live too long" She turned and looked at the next scruffy fellow.

Normally her Hjordis would keep men of his sort back. Here in the gallows, she could walk right up, look down, and examine him as close as she wanted.

"You tried to sell your 'goods' repeatedly to make money and it was found you were passing off nothing but rocks," She said and square up to him. "I don't know what to call you."

She turned on her heel. She motioned to the officer who brought a signing board up and handed it to her. The board had writing and title implements. Provided were a old fashioned quill, ink well, a blue stick of wax, a roller to dry signatures, and four unsigned execution orders.

"Prince Carthin," She said formally with a small smile as she looked upon his blank tormented eyes and pale face. "These are the orders for the men before you. If you would be so kind as to check their names and sign, we'll get on to the execution."

He looked at her in silent disbelief. He looked at the sword in his hands and back at the quill. Marcos had to laugh at his realization of one of the oldest adages in the world.

"Yes Prince, the pen is mightier," Marcos commented. "They aren't dead till you sign for their lives."

"Don't tarry," The princess said holding out the board. "Read out their names and sign after confirmation." She used one hand to flip the pages.

"Nnoel Sangarnis." He said shakily and flinched as crow overhead seemed to mock him.

"I am here, but this..." The third man said before a guard stepped up and raised his headthumper.

"Garen Sangarnis." The prince said only a little easier.

"Aye." The second man said numbly.

"Bassul Maggon." The prince called out.

The forth man only nodded.

"Young prince it would be merciful to allow a man freedom. This is the typical custom during festival executions." Marcos said now. The prince turned to him hollowed eyed with a pitiful look of pleading. The prince looked like he was the one to be executed.

"Perhaps that farmer, he has been productive for us." Princess Ruegin said moving up and standing to block his sight of all but the farmer. "What is his name?"

"Rath Noggill." He said numbly.

"Sounds perfect, give me his paper Monto." She said expectantly. The prince moved slowly as he did as she said. Lifting with one hand the paper and giving it to her.

Marcos noted he wasn't handling the stress well and seemed only capable of following orders at the moment. "Rinis, have the prince sign the papers." Marcos ordered.

Silently, she moved forward prepared the quill, folded it into his hand, and moved it onto the execution order. Almost unconsciously, his hand moved and signed. Halfway through, his bowels released. Everyone was surprised at what they were seeing. Rinis took the signing board as Princess Ruegin backed away. Rinis as usual, was untouched by her surroundings. Back in the Manor, Ein was on the floor laughing with Mara.

"Wait, wait, stop." Prince Carthin protested. His hand continued and dotted the 'I's and crossed the 't's.

Rinis continued as if nothing smelled and moved onto the next page. Again he signed and cried large tears of confusion as he continued down the path laid out for him.

Rinis moved onto the next one, but he balked freezing in place.

"Prince Monto will sign." Rinis said in flat voice, her face showed no emotion as she plainly commanded him. She grabbed his hand again and they struggled to place his hand onto the board.

"Prince Monto will sign." Rinis said again. They all watched as he stared stuck at her and complied.

She released him and returned the sign orders with the board to the officer who smiled gratuitously and quickly stepped back to where Princess Ruegin stood along the back wall by the door.

"Well, that was dramatic." Marcos said. He motioned for the guards to move in. "Bring farmer Noggill to a liaison officer who can take him back to his family."

The three criminals sat back in repose. The prince was in a trance. Rinis had around come to the prince's side mimicking the princess' Hjordis and looked satisfied.

"Is their any information you all have that could perhaps spare your lives and get you out of the country?" Marcos asked. He stepped forward to them for the first time.

A cacophony of voices rang up as they spouted some of the worst conspiracies he'd heard. They didn't know names so Marcos could tell thing were hurried jumbles of non-sense. Besides no one leaves men like these alive after a conspiracy, and if they did live they would've been smarter and likely better paid.

"Interesting. Please take a moment to quiet yourselves and meditate." Marcos said bored of the noise.

After a moment, he turned slightly. "Rinis have the prince execute the three. Beheadings are the most humane." He said and stepped back to watch.

Rinis touched the prince forward. He was by now catatonic and drooling slightly. His wet pants squished as he took three steps forward. She stepped to his right and with soft fingertips she raised his arm, bent his elbow, and turned his wrist. The sword was raised and the razor edge was dropped. Marcos and even Kaarthen were surprised at the results.

She had pushed and pulled the prince's body like a rag doll but could only sever Garen's neck partially. The cut was definitely mortal. The blood from his neck splattered the prince and other two men and painted the wall. After a moment, the body keeled over and sagged in the ropes oozing out blood.

Marcos snickered from behind them. "That won't do Prince. Guards, have these men present themselves face down, this is too complicated." Marcos ordered. The guards stepped in daintily around the soiled prince and used the head thumper on the other two men to get them to go with the flow for the last time.

Rinis corrected and two cuts later, they had slaughtered the whole lot. Rinis it seemed was an excellent puppetmaster herself.

"Excellent. Rinis take the prince out the side gate we will meet you out in front of the complex." Marcos ordered. He joined the Princess in giving wondering looks at the retreating Prince but was happy for the silence whether Prince Carthin's mind was broken or not.

"Officer, I have messages to send to Mavvus." Marcos said turning to the shaken officer.

"Yes, of course. You can write it with this." He replied pulling the execution papers out from the board and sliding in fresh sheets from a slit in the bottom.

He scribbled orders for an audit of all information on Sellis. The audit would alert Leethon of his intent and get the military into gear. The King is old and at sixty he wouldn't do more than ride out to the border. He would be required to lead any action, but for now, they had to begin the planning and make recon.

He wrote another note to Augussi for a quick hunt on any knowledge or rumor coming out of the west in regards to Sellis, the 'Guilds', any kind information on leadership, the activity of their Royals, and a standby order for safe houses from Leethon to Sellis. He was glad the girls didn't need too much extra consideration. He wouldn't go to all the safe houses but his gear wasn't always as durable as he was. He would find out over the next two weeks if the prince could come along.

The princess made a request for a carriage to come to the Manor to pick her up. Despite her happiness with the events, it was early in the day still. Several stocks would be in that evening and at least one needed to be completed. Menthino needed much to be done for a proper harvest.

Marcos left the office and joined the others outside. The princess was staring at the prince with an ear to ear grin. With simple orders, the prince was moved back to the mansion and brought to the door. The gray maid stopped the little troupe when she saw the dirty prince at the door and quietly mentioned a fountain for dirty things.

"Rinis take the prince around to the right of the building to the fountain. Strip him of anything dirty and have him washed. If the clothes do not come clean, hang them. Bring in the prince once he is clean, and bathe him properly." Marcos said and stepped in past the maid. Princess Ruegin followed with her Hjordis and they went up to find the rest of the party.

In the lounge, Princess Ruegin stepped in with her relation of events.

She chattered quick and excitedly. "That idiot lost his marbles. He was all pissy when he came in and made his orders like the fucking Emperor himself. Lord Panthi showed him. He had the boy communicate the execution and carry it out. Monto shat himself signing the order. SHAT HIMSELF!" Princess Ruegin paused at the hilarity and covered her eyes. "His bodyguard had to swing his hand like a puppet-master. He's out there being washed in the fountain like an invalid vagrant. Look!" She said opening a window and holding the curtain for them to see. "He hasn't spoken since. The idiot's mind broke." She laughed. "I hope it stays broken. The law says an incapacitated noble can't get married." She continued jovially.

She was likely at that moment the happiest person in Cardin. "It's still early but I'll return and want to celebrate tonight." She said clutching her hands to her breast and looking around the room at them. Tears watered her eyes as she smiled at each of them in turn. Her eyes finally stopped on Marcos. "Oh thank you lord Panthi! Even if this doesn't stay, I have witnesses that say he may have nerves that would be a liability. No one wants frayed nerves in their children. If stress turns out to be a cause I'll never get married I just know it." She said burying her face in his chest.

On Marcos' other side Princess Nossin mimicked her sister. After a moment, she looked up at him and an odd blank grin came to her face.

The grey maid came along and hustled Princess Ruegin out for her carriage. Princess Nossin stayed locked onto him as he moved over to comfortable seat and sat.

Despite her Hjordis' sudden coughing fit, Princess Nossin sat in his lap and cuddled into him. Marcos didn't do anything improper, he simply hugged Princess Nossin and rubbed her back paternally. They sat just like that for quite a while as the princess dozed.

Prince Carthin came in led by Rinis who was led by Kaarthen. They found the prince's room and put him to bed.

The gray maid came in again and Kaarthen had her bring soup for the cracked up prince when dinner was served.

"I think Rinis should stay with him." Kaarthen said finally.

"I think Ein should help her do the thinking. It would be bad to have something happen because they weren't looking around." Marcos said.

Kaarthen though about it. "That sounds like a good idea."

"Oh, before I forget. I will be taking him out with me tomorrow." Marcos said quickly looking out to the prince's door.