The Champion's Companion Ch. 14

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

That Queen disappeared to make herself presentable. Kaarthen and her girls returned to the ambassador's residence to claim luggage to be moved. The Queen came down wearing a riding outfit of a thick linen dress with a leather cover and they left in a covered carriage to tour the grounds.

The boxy Guildhouse sat where the Queen described, on the edge of the warehouse district. It was similar in its rectangular shape to the warehouses around it. The streets around the buildings were relatively wide for the crowded city. The walls of the front were frescoed with strong men working in fields, harvesting, planting, cutting trees, working stone, and sailing ships. The circular speaking chamber stuck out of the roof and had a coned roof of shiny copper that matched the building. Along the sides of the huge cylindrical tower were stained glass windows similar to the frescos on the buildings front. The whole building was a richly dressed tribute to industry.

Across from the Guildhouse, a building of stone blackened with age stood across the wide road and the city's open sidewalk. The space between the two buildings was wide and triangular as the wide warehouse district streets paralleled and merged with the warren of the city.

The guild Headquarters had the obvious look of a trading house. It was five stories with a clean storefront façade. The upper levels were naked, aged, and blackened stone with simple windows. Carts were out front, pulleys were ready, and a neat entrance way with several displayed wares stood in front of the building like a simple general store. It was completely unassuming as the Guild's administrative headquarters.

"That will be enough." Marcos said.

"Are you sure? You only just looked." The Queen said puzzled.

Marcos saw her fear that he was giving up despite her practiced clipped tone.

"Yes I'm done here, and I think you were right, a fire would be best." Marcos said. Along the sides of the walls on either side trenches were dug in intervals. The wall extended down into the trenches forcing the airflow under and into the building. If a ceiling window was opened, it made a clever air conditioning system for hot days. The airflow helped ventilate the goods kept inside, or in this case the people and the fire. "I have men I trust. Could a servant take a note to the harbor? And I'll need thick oil by the cart and a bale or two of hay."

"I'm sure we can get it." The Queen said nervously. Marcos pictured one of her maidens making the purchase, while the others loaded it, and she drove the cart in her dress.

"Good. The materials may or may not be needed tonight." The Queen visibly relaxed. "I'll pay for it if you have to buy the materials from the guild. History loves irony and so do I." Marcos smiled.

"But how will you kill them all?" The Queen asked wonderingly.

"To get them together I'll need to tell them something about Menthino, or offer to make a complicated purchase on their behalf. They won't trust me to say I want to join. They won't want to be here for me to just insult them in person. Likely, I'll have them debate the merits of our imminent boycott and embargo. That's why I won't know how soon they'll see me." Marcos said looking over both buildings. He figured a tunnel below their feet connected the two.

"What plans will you have for the long term after you're done?" She asked hesitantly.

Marcos didn't figure she would be so adrift on this. Even commoners have plans of what they'd do with the crown, and right now she was confused about what to do with getting it back.

"Highness, what plans will you have when I'm done? Menthino has no ill will, or real interest for a place so far away. Pray on it, I beckon you. I won't let you resurrected the guild in your name. Nevertheless, If you balance things we'll help. You'd make a good ally in this region. Your neighbor, Dar Delis, is always happy to see a Queen on the throne. They will be quick to send sisters to advise you, or to your court to petition. They are watching what happens here closely."

"I wanted to know if..." She paused looking around. Marcos noticed suddenly she was without her maidens with him. "I want you to know you will always be a friend of the crown."

Marcos looked around, he felt like they were watched. "I never do well with emotions this complex. Queen Di Sellis, thank you. I travel much, and I will pass through again so keep a room ready, I'm rarely announced." He watched her closely especially her eyes as she listened to his words. He was still really bad with emotions of this nature and it could go fifty-fifty at times like these. His tower women didn't need excessive emotional encouragement anymore. It was too draining and even Kaarthen would burn him out if she needed it. He guessed the Queen needed a hug, and was glad she thought so too.

"Well let's go stir the hive shall we?" He said making her laugh.

As they turned, he noticed four men positioned around them. They wore very dark green cloaks, and had matching boots and the hint of a bronze chest plate hidden under their cloaks. They looked like real forest rangers. Since Sellis didn't have either forests, or an expert infantrymen-training regime for forestry, he had to guess at outside talent. Their flaw was they wore a uniform of sorts and as the street trickled with late morning business they were easy to track.

The men had covered the exits in one-man teams. A man at the street's exit little more than a hundred yards away, one halfway to the carriage in the middle of the street at seventy five, one behind the deserted carriage about twenty five yards, and one about halfway to them at ten. It was a clever tactic that distracted targets from those that one couldn't see. It meant the open windows facing them from the guild headquarters couldn't be ignored.

He was surprised by the guild's speedy reaction in getting men to them, but then of course they had their schedule.

Marcos half-turned to the Queen. "Did you ask someone permission to tour here?" Marcos mused.

"I had to ask a representative at the palace, it was very humiliating." The Queen answered. She was as oblivious as everyone else to the change from a midmorning business day in the commercial district to a prepared battlefield. He tried to act calm but it would be hard with what he had to do.

Marcos quickly checked their rear and saw the alley behind them was clear. He wouldn't run, even though the ones in the windows would be a pain to get at.

"Oh? Let's sit down for a moment." He guided her back by the arm. As soon as she took a step, he kicked her ankle, since the pain had to look real.

"OW! oh my, that hurt."

"Oh did it? I'm so clumsy, sorry Highness." Marcos hid his face in shame. As he bent down helping her, he raised his robes hem. "Here, I got you good, let's sit down here." Together they hobbled next to the Guildhouse and used a crate for her to sit on.

"Why don't you put this on Highness." With practiced ease, he disrobed and flipped the weighty garment over her. She slumped under the sudden weight of the armored cloth, her head poked out of the hood looking questioningly at him. "Stay. Behind. The crate. Taris." He ordered and stood.

She looked at him surprised when he used her name. He smiled, pulled his specialty sword from behind her, and turned to face his anxious playmates. He hoped she got the message as he turned back. He only had one sword to use but he could get more if they shared.

The appearances of armed masked men clear streets in commercial districts. Authorities are usually interested in those types of phenomenons too. Marcos, who has fears of enclosed spaces lacking access to pussy, is allergic to getting arrested.

He walked to the carriage. The driver and two guards were gone without a trace. If the men were here to scare him no harm no foul, he wasn't blood crazy. If they let him pass, they would be allowed to live. At less then two yards from the carriage the new friend asked him if he wanted to play.

"You got a price on your head easterner." The first playmate said. With his cloak closed, Marcos couldn't see what toys he brought. However, that was answered when the man drew a single faced axe backed by a spike on a studded two-foot shaft.

Marcos bit back a laugh seeing the tool. "I'm sorry that was rude." He muttered. He hoped this man was the junior member of the bunch.

The man saw his stifled giggle and raised his weapon. "You'll die!" he bellowed.

The odd sparkle at the guild headquarters' window caught his eye and Marcos caught in front of him the bolt the mercenary launched. It was off center but at almost fifty yards, it was nearing its limited range. It would have made him meat for the axe man if it got his shoulder.

"Not bad." He quipped, dropping the long tipped armor-piercing bolt.

Even the armor he had on the Queen wouldn't dissipate the energy very well from that. It would even go through his robe's chainmail and cotton while tangling in the silk causing lethal damage.

The man before him couldn't believe his eyes and stood froze as Marcos stepped forward with one foot and drew an exact line with his sword across him just above the kneecaps before stepping back and standing. The cut severed tendon and cut deep into the bone making standing a nightmare.

The strike drew first blood and lit the open street with a hoarse scream of painful distress.

"You'll live" he said passing the man and continued for the carriage.

He had to step around it for the next two men who tried to stand behind it to draw him into view from upstairs. If this lasted too long the crossbowman would be rearmed. Marcos considered styles and ways to engage them strategically. Pushing them twenty yards back to be under the windows would make it easier but the Queen would be open. If they were organized, and this bunch appeared good quality, they could snatch her as a hostage or even kill her.

"So you want my head is all?" Marcos knew after a particularly messy accident involving three idiots with explosives, that decapitation wouldn't kill him either.

"You gotta go, easterner, and the lady's gotta renounce her crown." The one on the right said drawing a sword.

In one sentence, the man just decided where he and his friend would die.

Marcos knew now that they had to kill him before moving on to the woman. Anything else could jeopardize both actions. That's what was trained by his men in small unit tactics. They didn't have the manpower to do more then fight him now.

The man on his left stepped up drawing a forged sword. The cheap metal was dull and was molded then hammered for shape. It was a cheap weapon desperate, cash-strapped armies used, not something for a mercenary to bet his life on. Marcos was getting disappointed in his playmates choice of cheap and unwieldy toys. They must have just gotten into town, or got a lot of money recently.

The pair attacked in tandem from the front trying to make passes on either side and keep clear of him. The one on the right led swinging low as he passed and high from behind as his partner came in. Marcos stepped in to the left, and brought his sword across catching the second man's pass. His low counter strike bounced the man's blade away and back out of his hands. Marcos flowed forward bringing the inside foot behind him and turned behind him continuing the movement by dropping the sword through his neck and out the armpit.

The first man jumped in and their swords crossed briefly, before Marcos slashed at his face with his gauntlet. The man barely dodged to avoid losing an eye and having his throat torn out. Pressed, the man backed up to the carriage and squared for a defensive fight hoping the crossbowman helped out. Marcos used the moment to lead with his left side holding the sword blade up along his gauntlet's outstretched thumb. The parry the man tried was caught by his gauntlet and the sword thrust caught him in the neck pinning him to the carriage. Marcos tugged and wiggled the blade clear and snapped his wrist bleeding the man properly.

He circled the carriage to catch sight of the Queen peaking out from behind the crate. The other man by the street approached him. Both his hands rested on pommels and numerous daggers were visible along his belt. He also wore thin leather armor on his chest that also held smaller throwing knives.

Marcos let him approach. They both knew his slow approach would let the crossbowman get a shot off. Marcos wanted to use the knives this man had to kill the crossbowman so he backed slowly around to the far side of the carriage making the man adjust to keep him in clear view. He stopped at the far end covered by the front of the carriage from the man in the window.

For a moment the mutters and moans of his first attacker was the only noise. Marcos was blocked by the man on top. By himself the dagger thrower knew he was dead if he got closer or was shielded by the carriage also.

"Did they pay you very much to hunt me?" Marcos taunted.

"Enough, easterner, enough. You fight well. My brothers are glad it was you who sent them off instead of a coward's nameless arrow."

Marcos grinned. "If your brothers fight tonight they will meet the metal monsters of Menthino."

The mercenary paused. "I have no more brothers after me. The merchant's coward is up there trying to fight you." He pulled two long daggers into his hands and touched the tips getting ready.

Marcos prepared himself also. "You don't have to do this."

"I'm not." He said smirking and raised both hands high over his head. "By the way, what is your name?"

"Marcos Panthi, the Immortal of Menthino, and Champion to the Dark Mother herself." He said with a smirk of his own.

The man charged making tight flicks with the daggers pushing Marcos back along the horses. After clearing the carriage, the clever merc hacked the harness chain burying a dagger in the carriage arm then jumped astride a horse hacking it completely free and rode off. He looked silly dressed for battle riding a harnessed horse with a royal seal and gay feathered blinders on its bridle, but he made it.

Marcos had to smile at the man. He wasn't ready to die yet and knew it. With a smile he tugged out the dagger left behind and slunk over to the guild house. Inside he stopped, wholesale goods of dry coffee, tea, flour, trinkets from everywhere, and fireworks were stacked all over. Marcos looked around the empty store. From his gauntlet he pulled a flint and a stone. He tumbled a load of fireworks onto the ground and ripped several sacs of flour over it. Under the counter he spied some black Duavian cigars. He walked around to them and ripped open a box and stashed another. He lit the fuse of a particularly large charge finally after having his fun in the store and gathered his weapons and spoils. Outside, the late morning sun was cooking up to a hot day. Inside the guild headquarters, at least one man was about to find out hot the day was going to be.

After the building started smoking up good, Marcos crossed over and checked the wide-eyed Queen. She had been waiting for him looking like a waif in the overbearing armor. Earth shaking booms and loud screaming whistles started up from the Guilds headquarters as the fire spread into the warehouse area.

"Come on highness, I couldn't help myself." He said offering a hand.

"You easterners sure do know how to fight." She said getting up and smoothed her skirts.

A muffled thump tossed burning debris from the torched building. Marcos handed her a cigar and used his gauntlet to pick up a piece of the burning building. They lit their cigars watching the building burn.

"To victory." He toasted chuckling.

The Queen held the cigar daintily and looked at it oddly. "Where too now?" The Queen asked as they watched the fire.

Marcos turned to her. "Do you want to ally with Menthino?"

She paused narrowing her eyes at him. For this situation she received a lifetime of royal tutelage so she could say 'yes' on equal understanding terms, or say 'no' knowing why.

She nodded slowly. "Sure."

Marcos continued. "Do you give rights for your allies to act on your behalf in this time of crisis?"

She gave him a suspicious look. "Yes, temporarily."

"Who or what is leading this revolt or crisis element?" Marcos said opening his hands.

"The guild and the unlawful king." She declared.

Marcos nodded soberly. "I understand. I under, temporary orders will aid the city of Sellis. Our actions will be directed towards the king and his assets, and the guild and their assets. I will go to the Senate and declare my intentions. But we'll need to grab my men first." He said un-harnessing the remaining horse.

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Kaarthen's routine day took turn for the worst the moment they returned back to the palace. The courtyard in front had a detail of soldiers waiting for them. Kaarthen and her angels stood transfixed as a man livery walked up. Behind them, the servants carrying their luggage turned and went directly to the stables.

He curtly stopped them and declared. "Excuse me but you ladies must come this way. The Crown is interested in your activities."

He led them to the palace and Kaarthen's three servants were taken to the prison. Out of propriety, the little servants of the priestess weren't searched, they were merely let in with a group of seven dirty men.

Kaarthen was brought to the same lounge the party was held in. She was restrained to a metal chair and left alone. In her mind, she idly wondered about the difference a day made on the appearance of the room. Lourndai was in the luggage far away. She chastised herself for leaving it not only at the party, but on the day after too.

She and the Goddess could see it through the walls and floors of the palace. The Goddess in its corner of her mind mused about creating another weapon of death. Kaarthen had numerous times thought how she wanted weapon that could shrink smaller then the wooden handled Lourndai. The weapon she made would have to be as lethal, and if possible, complementary to Lourndai itself.

The Goddess trolled through her thoughts and popped up with Marcos' gauntlet. Kaarthen had numerous times wished the cold metal were gone when she was with him, nearly as many times its harsh savage touch had brought her ecstasy during their love making.

If the gauntlet became a mundane bracelet or a ring when dissembled, she couldn't have that problem. The goddess' own decisions mingled with hers and together an elegant shoulder length gauntlet materialized on her left arm. Mists of sand appeared pulling the essences from her chair and surrounding exotic metals into the armor.

The gauntlet was formed beautifully, the first time she saw it she knew it was perfect. The silvery metal cupped her shoulder. Instead of loosely covering the bicep, an etched gold tinted diamond shaped sheet shielded the outside of the muscle. The curved plate's points wrapped into each other on the inside of her arm and connected the shoulder and elbow joints. Under the gold sheet, overlapping curved plates bound her arm in another layer of protection. Along the forearm, the overlapping plates continued and a spine ran along the outside of her arm to create an intimidating spine for a bash effect. Spikes studded her knuckles and claws accented her fingertips. At the wrist, elbow, and the side of her hand several spikes came out along the tops or sides to assist her if she needed to brush back an attack. The gauntlet's actuation was inscribed and constructed on a wide bracelet for her left hand.

Another ring on the middle finger gave the gauntlet a fixed sword extending from the wrist. Kaarthen pushed into it a fire effect but the goddess didn't want to cauterize people's wounds. Instead, a freeze effect of white flame would burn with extreme cold and double as a torch. The ring actuating the sword was attached by a thin silvery chain to the bracelet.