The Climbing Tree!

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Reggie ran home with a bloody nose that day, and never again did he call me out. His brat of a sister went with him.

Alice and Emma stayed with us in the park for a while. Emma recovering her composure and Alice getting to know all the local children, before they thought it prudent to return to the Vicarage themselves.

Theoretically that should have been the end of the incident, but of course it wasn't. That day was the beginning of a strange war that was to rage between my own family and the Arnolds, until my parents passed away. That is George Arnold, his two children and the Second Mrs. Arnold -- oh, did my mum have fun referring to her by that name whenever and wherever she needed to; even to her face!

Anyway George Arnold was round our house as soon as he got home from work that day, demanding that I be punished for bloodying his son's nose.

Having already heard the story of little Emma being stuck up the climbing tree and that Reggie and Susan had walked off and left her there; my father enquired of me whether Reggie had raised his hand in anger to me first. Bill, Sally and a couple of the other local children present, assured my dad that he had. So my old man turned around and informed George Arnold that his son, "Was a little shit! Who had only received what he asked for!"

From that day forth I was persona non grata with the Arnold's, even if I wasn't with Emma and Alice. To the two girls, I was... well both Bill and I were I think, tantamount to Knights in shining armour.

Of course Alice and Emma were forbidden to play, or even associate with Bill and I. But that wasn't really a very practical ruling, because whenever they went to the park and latterly to school... well, Bill and I were around.

Reggie and Susan though did steer well clear of Bill and me whenever they could manage it. Again they found it impossible in school and that was to lead to a few verbal confrontations between Reggie and I, over the years. However for some inexplicable reason, those... contretemps... always occurred when there were plenty of teachers around who could ensure that those shouting matches didn't escalate -- or degenerate -- into fisticuffs.

At the junior school Alice very soon teamed up with Sally. Bill and I had moved to the secondary school by then, where we ran into Reggie and Susan quite often.

To be perfectly honest I didn't see too much of Alice all that first winter, but as I've just said during that time -- at the junior school -- Alice became firm friends with Sally.

It was in the early spring of the following year that Alice and I became firm friends, when she fell into the river from the footbridge in the park.

To be honest with you, it wasn't really a river, it was a fairly large lake that had had a stone bridge constructed over it part of it, to simulate a bridge over a river. Possibly some ornamental landscaping left over from the large mansion that had once stood nearby somewhere.

To this day I do not know how Alice came to fall into the water, or if Reg (or Susan) had anything to do with it. But the pair of them, were on the bank that day; I saw them.

Once again it was young Emma's screams that attracted Bill and my attention. However, this time it was all down to me, because at that time Bill could not swim. And, I might add, it was obvious that neither could Alice.

By the way, Bill had something wrong with his ears, as a young child and he couldn't swim because his physicians forbade him to ever risk getting his head under water. Bill had a series of operations during his teenage years and only then did he learn to swim.

Kicking off my shoes, I dove straight into the river and swam out to the middle where Alice was floundering about. Dodging the panicking Alice's flailing hands as best I could, I grabbed hold of her by the plaits and towed her -- arms still flailing -- to the shallows, where Sally and Bill --- up to their waists in the cold water -- took her from me.

A police officer who had appeared out of nowhere, then hauled all three of us up onto the bank. We were then shipped off to the hospital post-haste where we were treated for hypothermia. Not that I really think anyone, but Alice, was really that cold.

The Arnolds never did thank me. George Arnold didn't even acknowledge that I'd saved his stepdaughters life when the local newspaper interviewed him about the incident. All he did do, was complain that the footbridge's parapet was not high enough. However no one else has ever fallen from that bridge to my knowledge, and the council did not raise the parapet.

I was of course fêted in the local weekly rag, which printed a picture of me, and declared that I was a local hero; it must have been a lean news week.

Whatever the notoriety that came from that, had fall-out at my school where I was publicly praised in a school assembly by the headmaster. And it also probably lead to my being selected as a prefect a couple of years later. I was never really one of the goody-two-shoes type who were usually on the receiving end of that sort of dubious honour, if you understand me.

On the Saturday morning of the weekend following the river incident, there was a knock at my parents' front door, and shortly after my mother showed Alice and Emma into our dining room where I was doing my homework.

Alice thanked me for saving her life and then sat there staring at me. Emma just sat there hanging onto her big sisters hand.

To be honest I was embarrassed, I weren't no hero! I'd just done what I thought I had to do. There was a pretty awkward silence for a while there, until my mother came in and served up ice cream all round. Once that had been consumed the two girls sat there in silence and watched while I completed my homework; somewhat to my embarrassment.

Look, I was eleven years old, I had no idea what hero worship even was; let alone how to handle it. But for the next few years I could do no wrong in either Alice or Emma's eyes. To me they were just a couple of the other local kids; to Alice and Emma it appeared that I had suddenly become guardian angel number one. But I really didn't understand that on that Saturday morning.

"What are you going to do now?" Alice had asked when I finally put my schoolbooks away.

"Go find Bill and Sal!" I'd replied.

"Can we come?"

Yeah well that was it, after that -- nearly every weekend -- Bill and my little gang had grown by at least one member, Alice. Often two, because if Emma was wasn't playing with friends her own age from school, then she'd tag along with her big sister. Never, so I think, did she ever hang around with Reg and Susan.

I say nearly every weekend, because -- since just after Alice and Emma had joined the Arnold household -- every forth Saturday or so, a car would drive in and out of the Vicarage's drive very early in the morning and Alice and Emma would vanish for the day. Sometimes that car would not return them until late on the Sunday evening.

It didn't take a genius to work out that their father was picking two girls up for the weekend when that car did show-up. Shortly after its first appearance, that car had become another clandestine (as far as us children were concerned) subject of discussion amongst our parents. Something else us children were not supposed to know about.

But for some reason, it was something that was not discussed amongst us children as well. Not even Alice and Emma would intentionally mention their father in normal conversation. Although, sometimes young Emma would refer to him in passing.

Anyway about a month after the river incident, one Saturday Bill, Sally, a couple of other children and myself were sitting in the climbing tree. I have no idea what we were doing up there that day or even what we were talking about. Sitting in the top of that tree just because we could get up there, was one of the things we did back then. Alice and Emma weren't with us that day because the car had paid a visit to the Vicarage that morning. By the way Emily had become quite a little tree monkey since Bill and I had shown her all the right, safe hand and footholds that would fit a child of her size.

Whatever Bill and Sally -- who were on the highest perch, from where they could see the river -- suddenly announced that Alice and Emma were "On the bridge with a man!"

I shimmied up to join them in double time; I suppose because I wanted to get a glimpse of the girls' father.

Sure enough Alice and the man who I now know for sure is her father were on the bridge. Young Emma was standing just on our side of the bridge, looking right back at me.

Then I saw her point to the tree, while turning and saying something to her father and Alice. Their father stared at me -- or the tree anyway -- for a while and then all three of them set off in our direction.

"What'd you going to do, Jeff?" Bill asked.

I looked back at him wondering what the hell he was asking me that for, but Bill went on.

"He's coming over to see you, probably to thank you for saving Alice's life the other week."

My friends were aware that I found my sudden celebrity a little embarrassing.

I quickly started down the tree, I think possibly with the intention of making myself scarce. But I wasn't quick enough and I arrived at ground level at the same instant that Alice and Emma led their father into the clearing at the base of the climbing tree.

"Jeff, this is our dad. He wants to speak to you!" Alice said, by way of introduction.

Then she and Emma -- much to her father's obvious consternation -- disappeared up said climbing tree like rabbits down a hole.

"Be careful girls." Their father called after them, a somewhat concerned expression on his face.

"They're fine Mr! Amongst the best tree climbers around here... for girls."

"So I see. They look pretty confident anyway. But familiarity breeds contempt young man; haven't you ever heard that expression before?"

"Yes sir, but Bill and I test all the hand holds before we allow the little ones... or the girls to go up there. That tree behind you, that looks pretty easy to climb, but it's rotten. That's what we painted the red cross on it for. No one tries to climb that."

At that moment there was a thump behind me; so I knew that my back-up -- in the form of Bill -- had arrived at ground level.

"Ah you must be Billy... William is it? The young man who got Emma out of this same tree I suspect... My god no higher girls!"

The girls father had looked up and... well looking back now I suspect he almost shi... Yeah well.

Anyway both his daughters replied "Okay dad!" Stopped climbing and settled themselves onto a large branch.

"I want both of you to promise me that you will never climb up there if Jeffrey and William here aren't here with you. I'm sure your mother would have a heart attack if she saw you up there. Does she know you go up there?"

"Reg and Susan climb up here all the time, when Billy and Jeff aren't here." Emma replied.

Emma habitually called Bill, Billy by the way. I have no explanation why no else ever did, with the exception of his mother.

"What those two do is their father's business, not mine! I want your solemn promise that you will never climb that tree if Jeffrey and William aren't here with you."

I kind-a figured that was an odd thing for him to say really. But it sort-of inferred that the girls' father trusted Billy and me would ensure that they came to no harm.

"We promise dad." Alice replied.

Then their father's gaze fell on me again. "Jeffrey may I speak to you in private, please?"

"Sure Mr..."

"Porter. But call me Frank, please Jeffrey; I think you and your friend here have earned the right to do that.

"Er sure... Frank... What can I do for you?" I asked.

"In private, please?"

"Yeah sure, no sweat!" I replied, then he let me lead the way to the edge of the copse. Bill remained by the base of the climbing tree, but he was within shouting range, if you get my drift.

Once out of all the other children's earshot, the girls' father thanked me for saving Alice from drowning. He somewhat overdid the praise part and I was more than a little embarrassed by it.

Looking back after all these years I have to suspect Frank Porter knew that I would be embarrassed and that's why we'd moved to where the other children couldn't overhear him.

Anyway somehow then Frank moved the conversation on to enquiring about -- as Frank put it -- my obvious proficiency at swimming.

I explained to him that before my uncle -- who'd been a lifeguard at the Country Club swimming pool just up the road -- had died in a car accident I'd been in the habit of swimming there several days every week, throughout the year.

"You said 'used to,' Jeff?"

"Yeah, my uncle could get me in for free. My mum and dad can't afford to join that place."

"So where do you swim now?"

"Just, in the sea, on our summer holidays. The council pool is right over the other side of the borough. Cost's an arm and a leg just to get there. My dad takes me there sometimes, when he can. Besides Bill's not allowed to swim because of his ears, and there's no one else much I'd like to go with. It's too crowded there anyway!"

"Jeffrey, I've been very lax. Alice's mother doesn't swim and consequently... Well, she was never enthusiastic for Alice and Emma to learn how-to. I realize that I should have pushed the point... but, oh well, you'll probably understand when you are older.

"Anyway after our scare with Alice last week. We... and both Alice and Emma have decided that it would be prudent for them to learn how to stay afloat, if nothing else."

"My dad says that all children should learn how to swim!" I said, trying to sound grown-up I think. Alice's father appeared to be talking to me as if I was an adult.

"And your father's right, they should. It was I who was remiss, Jeffrey. But Alice and Emma need someone who they have confidence in, to teach them to swim."

"Oh yeah you have trust your teacher. I was... well. The first time I went swimming it scared the pants off me. But my uncle used to swim in competitions, so he soon had me swimming like a fish, my father says."

"I can believe it Jeffrey, and now I'd like you to pass that skill in the water you have learnt on to Alice and Emma for me, if you will?"

"I don't know if I'd be a very good teacher Mr... Frank. They have classes at the public swimming pool the girls could go to."

"No Jeffrey, both of them want you to teach them how to swim."

"I can't sir, it costs a bomb just to get to the public pool."

"I was thinking more of the Country Club pool, Jeffrey!"

"Jesus that place costs the earth, and your dad has to be a member!"

"I'll sort all that out Jeffrey, don't worry about it. But you have to agree to teach them."

Now I do enjoy swimming, and the Country Club's indoor pool was a pretty swish place to swim. I'm not sure whether I agreed to teach the girls because I was flattered to have been asked, or because I was going to get access to the Club's pool again.

Whatever, my acceptance brought a smile to the man's face and our conversation to an end. We went back to base of the climbing tree and he called for his miscreant daughters -- who during his absence had climbed up much higher to join Sally -- to come down. Then after Frank Porter had said something about speaking to my father, all three of them left.

Bill and Sally were full of questions about what the guy had wanted, so I explained that I was to be Alice and Emma's swimming teacher.

"How much?" Bill instantly asked. Bill had a fixation with money at that time; he sort-of assumed I was going to get paid to teach them. To be honest, the idea hadn't even crossed my mind.

It took me a moment or two to realize what Bill was asking. But when I told them exactly where I was supposedly going to teach the girls to swim, the question was effectively withdrawn. Actually another student was added to the list; Sally asked me if I could sneak her in there for a few lessons while I was at it.

When she did, Bill went kind-of quiet for a while. I've explained that because of his ears Bill was not allowed anywhere where his head might inadvertently go under the water. No at the time I didn't know why, it was one of those facts of life that -- as children -- we had grown to accept. I think Bill was more conscious of the fact he couldn't swim than any of the rest of us children recognised.

When I got home that later day my parents informed me that Mr Porter had paid them a call and cleared the way with them, for me to teach his daughters to swim. My father didn't seem at all surprised that his eleven-year-old son was going to teach two girls to swim.

Neither did either my mother or father mention the fact that I was still persona non grata with the Arnolds. Well not outright anyway, and I began to wonder if Frank Porter was aware of the fact.

It seems that he must have been aware, because it had apparently been arranged that Alice and Emma would meet me outside our house at a specific time and we'd go on to the pool from there. I might add that the old vicarage sat back from the road on it's extensive plot and the front of my house couldn't been seen from the Vicarage itself. Damn it, thinking about it now, I doubt they could even see the road through all the trees and shrubs that shielded the place from the sight of all us plebs.

Monday evening when I arrived home from school, I discovered a brand new bicycle waiting for me in our garage. It seemed that Frank Porter had decided that I had deserved a reward. Whether for agreeing to teach his daughters to swim or for saving Alice that day, I know not. No one ever mentioned it.

There was a certain logic in the new bicycle though. The shortest route to the Country Club was along the main road, with its inherent traffic dangers. On pushbikes the longer route through the park and along the path that ran around the edge of the Country Clubs golf course became a practical alternative.

At the Club itself Alice led the way through the main entrance door. All my previous visits to the place had been sort-of clandestine affairs where I'd entered with my uncle by one of the other entrances. Not that the powers that be at the club and most of the other staff hadn't known I was there. I believe my presence had been ignored as long as none of the members complained.

Somewhat to my consternation, Alice marched right up to the reception desk and announced that she was Miss Alice Porter. But she needn't have bothered the woman was already sorting out some paperwork. She handed Alice and Emma cards that had "Associate Member" printed across the top of them. Them she handed me a similar one that had "Personal Trainer" emblazoned across it. Then she listed off a whole list of do's and don'ts, and can and can't's that were specific to my membership card.

No I didn't listen, I was far too busy reading my own name printed on the card.

When we got to the pool, I noted a sign warning other members that a private lesson had been booked that day and at what time. And on entering we were greeted by one of my uncle's old colleagues who would be acting as lifeguard for the session. The lifeguard being present when anyone under sixteen was using the pool, was club policy by the way. I have no idea whether Alice's father was aware of that fact, that those same lifeguards also gave swimming and diving lessons.

I wont bother going into any further details other than to say that, from that day forth every Tuesday and Thursday evening saw the three of us at the pool. Very strangely I thought, Emily very soon learnt how to swim and rapidly gained confidence. Alice on the other hand, seemed to pick up the floating and swimming side of things pretty quickly, but she definitely lacked confidence. Most of the time Alice insisted that I at least swim beside her whenever she was in the water. Very often, and for no reason that I could see, she'd suddenly start to panic and... well flounder I suppose you'd call it, and I'd have to grab hold of her to reassure her.