The Council Ch. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JazCullen
JazCullen
6,488 Followers

The colour drained completely from Andrei's face as Caleb's words sank in. His knees buckled and he sat down heavily on the sofa. "No way," he denied shaking his head wildly. "That was just this morning. There's no way Loretta could be......" He couldn't even say the word. If he said the words it would somehow make it more of a possibility.

"From what I was able to dig up it would appear that it is not only possible but has happened in the past, the very distant past I hasten to add," Caleb told him quietly. "It's not a pretty tale but there was one previous Vampire/Were mating about three thousand years ago. The female Were became pregnant almost instantly once the full mating took place and she was pinned.

Symptoms began showing almost immediately because for some reason the wolf gene inside the Were becomes more dominant and their gestation rate reverts to that of a normal wolf, usually around sixty three days. The Vampire Council at the time discovered it and they were all put to death, including the vampire involved. That was the start of the separation between Weres and Vampires. Our people decided this knowledge was not to become public ever again."

Caleb didn't think Andrei could become any paler but he managed to do so, the wildness in his eyes becoming more pronounced.

"They killed them?" Andrei whispered hoarsely, his hands tightening unconsciously into fists. His entire world felt like it was caving in on top of him as he struggled to come to terms with everything he was hearing. Loretta could be pregnant with his child. If she was, if it was really possible then her life was in danger from his own people. They would kill her and their unborn child. They would kill him too because he would defend his wolf to the death no matter who he had to take on.

"Caleb, what can I do?" he asked desperately. "How do I protect her? How do I protect them?"

He was long past caring that he was turning to the Ancient for help, that he was submitting to the other vampire. He wasn't too proud to get down on his knees to save Loretta's life and the life of their unborn child if she was in fact pregnant.

Becoming a father may not be something that he particularly wanted but he knew his wolf would be overjoyed at the news, that she would want their child and would love it unconditionally. He would learn how to love it too, for Loretta. If he could change enough to allow his wolf into his heart then he could adapt to becoming a father.

Caleb felt the last of his antipathy towards Andrei Romanov vanish as he stared into his anguished face. The arrogant man was gone to be replaced by someone who was so much more than he ever had been. His fear for Loretta was etched on his face, his willingness to protect her and his child clearly signalling that the vampire had come a long way in so short a period of time.

He was oddly jealous of Andrei and also Nors and Alexei. They would be able to have what he would never be able to achieve. They would be able to become fathers, to know the perfection of giving their mates the one thing that they wanted most in the world.

Since he had held Jared's children he'd had a deep ache within him to know the bond of a parent and a child. Since he had watched his Annie hold little Alicia so reverently, her face glowing with love he had known that he had taken something so beautiful and precious from his woman that he could never replace.

He sighed deeply and then he gave Andrei a reassuring smile. "You didn't think I was going to leave you pissing in the wind, did you?" he asked slightly drolly. "No one will hurt Loretta, Andrei. I have plans in motion to prevent that happening. I protect my family and to do that I have to protect the entire Hanlon pack. This information needs to be kept quiet, about the possible pregnancy at least. You can't mention it to Loretta yet. I need a little more time."

Andrei was starting to pull himself together again, the shock of all the revelations starting to wear off. The Ancient's unknown plans were getting his attention, dragging his mind back to what he needed to do with regards to The Council.

He frowned at the prospect of having to keep quiet with Loretta though. If she was pregnant then she had the right to know what was happening to her. He was amazed that he wasn't even stumbling over the thought of her being pregnant anymore. He knew he had to spend some time figuring out just how much he had changed physically to enable him to father a child but he didn't have time for that at the moment.

"What plans?" he asked quietly, his expression turning slightly suspicious even as he felt relief wash over him. Just knowing that Caleb had something up his sleeve soothed his worry a little. If he didn't have to deal with this alone then all the better.

"I can't divulge them just yet," Caleb answered with a little smile tugging at his lips because he knew it would annoy the hell out of Andrei not knowing. "For the moment, we need to organise a meeting with all the mated couples, the Ancients and also Jared and possibly Rafe too. It's time I explained about the matings so at least that is out of the way."

"But if you say Loretta will be having the child in around about sixty three days then it's not leaving a lot of time, Caleb," Andrei argued. "That's if she really is pregnant," he tagged on under his breath.

The Ancient regarded him intently for a long moment and then sighed softly. "Fine, I'll tell you what I'm planning, Andrei. But it is between you, me and Demetri. If you breathe a word of it to Alexei or anyone else I will personally gut you. Are we clear on that?"

Andrei blinked in surprise for a moment and nodded slowly. He shouldn't be surprised that Demetri was in the know with whatever Caleb was planning. Those two were as tight as him and Alexei.

He suddenly realised that he hadn't seen Demetri since he came back from wherever he had been with Mara. Just that one occasion at the Ceremony. Usually his friend dropped by to touch base every once in a while. Still, he had been busy recently with Loretta and he wasn't actually talking to his friend for screwing him over. He looked expectantly at the Ancient.

Caleb smiled slowly. "It's very simple, Andrei," he said in a dangerously quiet voice. "I'm going to bring down The Council."

There was a moment of stunned silence and then the breath whistled out of Andrei's throat in a harsh ragged sound. "I am the fucking Council," he hissed loudly. "You think getting rid of me is going to resolve this problem?" He couldn't believe Caleb was actually going to do what he'd threatened the year before. It would mean civil war for their people.

The cold, hard expression on the other man's face told him that he intended to do just what he had announced he was going to. "A civil war, Caleb?" he ground out. "You're seriously going to do this? It's madness! Thousands will die!"

Caleb rolled his eyes and snorted loudly. "You exaggerate, Andrei," he said softly. "Yes, I intend to bring down The Council. It is more than obvious it isn't working in its current form. But I intend to replace it with a new, improved Council. There may be some bloodshed but it won't be on the level you think. If I can do this right, the only vampires who will lose their heads will be ones you'll be perfectly happy to have do so."

He paused briefly to let his words sink in. "Your position on The Council is safe, Andrei. I will need Council members who will be willing to put the safety of the Weres first and foremost. I suggest you start looking for a new Enforcer though because Alexei will be becoming a Council member whether he wants to or not. I know both of you will be very diligent in ensuring your mates are kept safe."

Andrei swallowed hard and then swallowed again, his thoughts whirling madly in his head. Alexei would go mental at being ordered onto The Council against his will. He didn't have the same political leanings as Andrei did. But then, his brother would want to ensure Cedar's safety at all costs. Maybe he wouldn't be as reticent about it as he had first thought.

"That's all I'm prepared to tell you at the moment," Caleb was saying standing up. "Until I say otherwise, keep quiet about everything I have told you. Arrange with Alexei and Nors to come over to my house tomorrow night. I'll liaise with the Weres. They will be told about the matings being possible and how to achieve it and nothing else at this point. I'm sure I can trust you to do as I ask, Andrei?"

It was posed as a question but Andrei knew Caleb wasn't expecting any confirmation from him. He did nod though because he couldn't trust himself to speak. He had too much to take in, both on a personal and also a professional level. And he couldn't talk to anyone about it other than Caleb. He supposed he could talk to Demetri about whatever plans related to The Council but he had a feeling his friend would be just as tight lipped about it as the Ancient before him was.

Caleb was clearly dismissing him. He should have felt angry about it but he wanted to get home to Loretta. He wanted to see her so badly, to try and find out if there was anything different about her which would lend credence to what he had just discovered. He wanted to scent her deeply to see if he could detect anything different about her body, to see if he could detect a new life growing inside her.

He left the Ancient's house almost in a daze. Caleb was going to bring down The Council and Loretta could possibly be pregnant with his child. When he had come to Caleb for answers he had never dreamed he would have received the answers he had and would be leaving with more questions than he had when he first went there.

He was more in control by the time he finally reached his house. He hurried upstairs to find Loretta still sleeping and Alexei engrossed in a book. His brother looked up with an inquiring expression on his face.

"Was Caleb any help?" he asked with a touch of concern in his voice. "She hasn't woken since you've been gone but her breathing sounds easier now and she isn't as flushed as before."

Andrei crossed the room to stand beside the bed, staring down at his sleeping mate. She did look a lot better. His gaze roamed slowly over her and he tried not to allow his eyes to linger on her stomach.

"Caleb's called a meeting for all the mated couples tomorrow night at his house along with the Weres," he answered his brother in a distracted tone, his brown eyes finally settling back on Loretta's face. "Will you let Nors know?"

Alexei frowned slightly as he stood up and put the chair back where he'd gotten it from. "I take it you have no intention of sharing anything with me?" he asked in a disgruntled tone. He could see Andrei had a lot on his mind, that he was distracted with his wolf as well.

"Tomorrow," Andrei said quietly not even turning his head to look at his brother. He couldn't answer any of the questions that he knew he would see in his face. "Thanks for sitting with her for me, Alexei."

His brother's subdued tone of voice was actually concerning Alexei a lot. He wanted to ask again what Caleb had said but he knew he wouldn't tell him anything. When Andrei decided to keep something secret, wild horses wouldn't drag it out of him. Alexei had a feeling that Caleb had instructed his brother to remain quiet so it would be pointless to push him.

"Let me know if you need me again," Alexei sighed, rolling his shoulders to try and release a little of the tension which had crept in. "I'll take care of her for you anytime, Andrei. You know that."

Andrei turned then and managed a smile. "You always have my back, Alexei," he smiled. "You know I'd do the same for you."

Alexei smiled back at him and nodded his head. His brother turned back to his mate almost immediately so he turned and left the room knowing that his presence was no longer needed. He suddenly wanted to be with Cedar very badly. Andrei's behaviour was unsettling and he knew it related to the wolves and their mates. He just wanted to hold her close and make sure she was safe.

Andrei let out a slow breath as he heard his brother leave. He knew he wasn't being fair to Alexei but he had to keep quiet for now. That he couldn't tell the two people he loved most in the world what was troubling him made him feel very alone, something he wasn't used to at all. Always he could tell his twin anything. Now he had to keep secrets.

Loretta sighed softly and rolled onto her side, her eyes flickering open for a moment and soft dreamy smile crossing her lips. "Hey asshole," she said sleepily.

His heart thumped loudly as he lowered himself onto the bed beside her and pulled her gently into his arms. "Hey Rose," he breathed softly running a hand quickly over her brow and relaxing slightly at how even her temperature felt. "How are you feeling?"

She snuggled into him, brushing her lips against his neck and sighing contentedly. "Much better. That sleep has done me a world of good. Don't feel sick anymore." She pulled her head back to look up at him. "Were you talking to someone?"

"Yeah, Alexei was here for a bit," he smiled stroking the side of her face gently before brushing his thumb against her lips. She kissed him automatically and his smile widened. "I had to go out and didn't want you left on your own so he came and sat with you until I came back."

"You didn't need to do that," she groaned her face flushing with embarrassment at the thought of having someone looking after her in his absence. "It was just a little bug, Andrei. Nothing life threatening."

He hugged her tightly, burying his head in the crook of her neck as he inhaled deeply. "Yes, I did," he whispered against her skin. "You're too precious for me to risk your health, Loretta." He inhaled again, scenting her on a deep level, running his hand gently down her side, pausing at her hip before sweeping lightly across her stomach.

"Stop it," Loretta laughed loudly. "You're seriously ruining your reputation as a badass vampire here, Andrei." She snuggled against him smiling, secretly loving this tender side to her vampire.

"Only with you, my Rose" he answered lightly raising his head and tilting hers back so he could brush her lips gently with his. The hand on her stomach stroked lightly before it paused and tightened ever so slightly.

He kept kissing her as shock rocked through his body. Her scent was different. The sweet cinnamon scent was still there but it was enhanced with a subtle hint of lilac which hadn't been there before. He stifled down a deep groan, clutching his wolf more tightly as his kiss turned slightly desperate.

Loretta was pregnant. He was sure of it.

To be continued...

JazCullen
JazCullen
6,488 Followers