The Council Ch. 19

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JazCullen
JazCullen
6,491 Followers

He braced himself against the hardwood headboard and settled his woman between his bent legs. Then he lowered her back gently until she rested against his chest. The moment their skin touched he felt a little less wild, reaching around her body to allow her to grip his hands tightly.

He kissed the side of her neck tenderly, feeling a measure of peace that she was wrapped tightly in his embrace. "Cedar said you'd blame me for this," he drawled softly, humour lacing his tone. "If you can manage not to crush every bone in my hands I'd appreciate it, darling."

Loretta snorted loudly, smiling as she rested against her mate. The pain didn't feel half as unbearable now he was with her. She'd been through worse and survived. With Andrei at her side she could cope with her stubborn daughter refusing to enter the world in a hurry. Something told her Liliana Rose Romanov was going to be a daddy's girl!

Luke glanced up and smiled at them, raising an eyebrow at how calm Andrei was being. Not that he was complaining, both he and Mallen were in one piece so that was all that mattered. That and coaxing this baby to be born.

"I can see the head," Mallen suddenly cried, looking up and almost laughing out loud at the glare Andrei shot him. He was the pack doctor for the newly formed Armand-Hanlon pack so he was used to being glared at by the vampire. He'd been doing it through every examination he'd performed on Loretta in the last two months.

"Hallelujah!" Loretta groaned, excitement shivering through her. Her baby was almost here, just a few more hard pushes and her daughter would be born. A wave of pain crashed over her and she heard Luke telling her to push. She strained hard, gritted her teeth and let out a tortured cry.

Andrei felt the bones snapping in his hands as the strength of Loretta's wolf rose to help her birth their child. He ignored the pain, tuning it out as he held his woman protectively as she pushed with all her might. His heart thundered, tears in his eyes at the sound of her pain. Any moment now his daughter would come into the world, his stunning, glorious mate easing their child into her new life. He had never been prouder of his Rose than he was in that moment.

*****

"You're certain that's normal?" Alexei growled as he listened to the sounds coming from the room. His was leaning against the wall, his arms wrapped securely around his woman as she leaned back against him. Lacey had arrived and was wrapped in Rafe's tight embrace, Millie and Jared hovering close to the bedroom door too.

"You should have heard me," Millie laughed softly causing Jared to growl loudly.

"No you shouldn't have," he countered with a little smile. "She called me every possible curse word you can imagine. I even learned a few that I'd never come across before. Believe me, Loretta's restraint is admirable."

The tortured sounds didn't appear very restrained to the vampire. He was trying to imagine how he would feel if that was his Cedar in there. It would drive him to insanity but he knew it would be something he would have to endure.

His mate was disappointed that she wasn't pregnant yet. It wasn't for lack of trying either. For some reason they had just assumed that it would be instantaneous as it had been for Loretta and Andrei and also the first mated hybrid couple millennia ago. But so far, Cedar still wasn't pregnant and becoming more disappointed as time wore on.

No one really knew how it worked. Luke had hazarded a guess that the wolf gene within the couple had to be aligned in some way. He had even gone as far as to speculate that it could be the female had to be 'in heat'. That had produced an angry outburst from the Weres.

Millennia ago the wolves had been ruled by the need to be in heat before they could produce young. It had kept their numbers low because not all mated couples produced young. Then there was the added problem of the Weres xenophobia which led to quite a lot of unmated wolves. Something had changed in their physiology at some point and Weres discovered they could have children at any time as long as they were mated. The thought of going backwards was immensely worrying.

Whatever the answer was, it didn't stop the fact that no matter how many times he loved his woman, pinned her to his body as they scaled the heights of their passion, he had so far been unable to give her what she truly wanted. A child.

Alexei's thoughts were interrupted as the door downstairs opened and people flooded into the ground floor. He had a moment's amusement as he watched them enter. Loretta and Andrei's child was something new but even so, it was almost as if everyone thought this was some kind of spectator sport the way the Alpha's house was filling up with vampires and Weres alike at four thirty in the morning.

"Is she here yet?" Ashleigh asked running up the stairs, her eyes shining with excitement. Nors was right at her back, Freya opting to stay down below. They were followed up by Caleb and Rhianna, Mara, and a very grumpy looking Demetri bringing up the rear.

"Almost," Rafe smiled, his gaze affectionate as he looked at the little blonde. Ashleigh was positively glowing, all hint of her previous weakness gone, and happiness shining in her eyes.

"Isn't it exciting?" she asked her mate, beaming up at him.

"Thrilling," Nors chuckled softly, wrapping his arms tightly around his mate, his smile so full of love that it didn't take a genius to guess that they had finally completed their mating. Rafe couldn't help smiling in contentment at the glow coming from them, relaxing now that Ashleigh had found the happiness she deserved.

"Exciting is not the word I'd use," Demetri grumbled, his tone acerbic as he scowled at his wife. "Explain to me again precisely why we're in a bloody wolf compound in the middle of the night?"

Mara laughed at his disgruntled tone reaching up to pull his head down for a quick kiss. "Council business, dear," she smiled. "This is the birth of the first vampire/Were child. The Council needs to be represented at such an auspicious occasion."

Demetri's expression darkened and he pinned her with one of his totally pissed off looks. "Second birth," he amended, "and the father is a Council member as is the uncle. Both, who I may add, are in attendance tonight."

"That doesn't count," she laughed softly. "Look at the state Alexei's in. Can you imagine what Andrei is like? They can't be counted on to give a precise account of anything to The Council."

Demetri's snort of annoyance only made her laugh harder as she wrapped her arms around him and gave him a tight squeeze. "Don't be so grouchy. I'll make it up to you later."

His expression lightened instantly and he kissed her hard. "Damned straight you will," he promised in his most intimidating tone though there was a hint of a smile on his face as he settled down to wait for the main event of the night to be concluded.

He didn't really mind being at the compound. It would have been preferable if Loretta had chosen to give birth during the day but he knew the events unfolding were of crucial importance to their people. It was also prudent to have the Ancients in attendance just in case there were any vampires who may have intelligence problems and attempt to cause some harm during the confusion of the birth.

He looked around suddenly and frowned in surprise. "No Aaron and Jen?" he had expected the new pack's second in command to be present for the birth. Aaron was fiercely protective of the pack despite his usual amiable personality.

"Jen's close to giving birth herself," Lacey answered with a smile. "Luke thought it wouldn't be wise for her to be in attendance in case she got the urge to 'push' herself. She has a few weeks more to wait before it's her turn."

A loud wail suddenly sounded from the room and everyone turned to look at the door. The cry was not Loretta's but that of a baby.

"She's here," Rhianna whispered breaking the silence, large tears suddenly overflowing and spilling down her cheeks. "The future is here."

Caleb looked down sharply at Rhianna who appeared unaware that she had even spoken. Her eyes had a faraway expression, brimming with moisture as she stared into the distance. He felt a little shiver run down his spine. His Annie was gone but only for a fraction of a second. He knew who had spoken and he knew his time had run out.

And then she blinked and a large smile crossed her face as she looked up at him. "Isn't it wonderful, Caleb?" she laughed softly, once more the woman he loved with all his heart.

He returned her smile, shielding his unease as he wiped at her wet cheeks. "It's wonderful," he agreed, sensing eyes on them and turning to see Rafe frowning slightly as he looked at his sister. No one else appeared to have noticed anything strange in Rhianna's words. No one except Rafe.

Caleb met his brother in law's eyes, saw the unspoken question in them and shook his head slightly. Now was not the time to be discussing this. There would be plenty of time to do so later.

Rafe dropped his eyes back to his sister, watching her face intently. For a moment he had seen something...he didn't know how to describe what it was. Maybe he hadn't even seen something, maybe it was more of a case of sensing something. For the brief period of time he hadn't recognised his sister at all. It was as if she had become someone completely different.

Caleb's expression told him he knew something about it. It had also told him that whatever was going on with Rhianna was not to be discussed in front of the others. Rafe didn't want to let it go but he knew he could trust Caleb, that he wouldn't allow anything to harm his sister. For the moment he could wait but he had no intention of waiting forever. Caleb Cullen would explain to him what the hell was wrong with his baby girl or he would be severely pissed at the vampire.

Cedar smiled at the sound of the child's cry relief rolling through her that the birth had gone well. Excited chatter broke out of the landing, everyone talking at the same time, celebrating the new life that was now among them.

She stiffened a moment later, feeling a sharp cramp in her stomach. A wave of nausea rushed through her body at the same instant Lacey stepped up to give Alexei a spontaneous hug as she congratulated him on becoming an uncle.

It was a testament to how much more at ease he was with accepting pack life that he returned his Alpha's mate's hug with barely any hesitance. He was adapting better than his brother was to being part of the pack as well as a vampire Council member. His time away accepting his fate had most probably something to do with that.

Cedar chose that moment to slip silently along the landing, her stomach cramping again as she hurried towards the bathroom. She'd barely made it inside when she threw up violently down the toilet.

She managed to drag in a couple of harsh breaths before her stomach heaved and she vomited again. A cold sweat broke out over her skin and her body heaved with the force of her retching. She felt like death, her limbs suddenly heavy and aching, her stomach roiling as she continued to vomit.

Alexei smiled at Lacey before he turned to Cedar only to find her missing. He was instantly alert, using his enhanced hearing and sense of smell to try and locate her. He was moving an instant later, tearing down the hallway and bursting open the locked bathroom door.

His woman was sitting on the floor leaning against the wall beside the toilet bowl, her blond curls plastered to her flushed face. "Cedar!" His cry was full of concern as he blurred fast to be at her side.

"Go away," she moaned turning back to the toilet and throwing up loudly. She couldn't believe he was there watching her being sick. It was so humiliating.

"I don't fucking think so," was his growled response as he dropped to his knees beside her and very gently gathered her hair back from her face as she vomited violently again. His heart with racing with fear as he watched his mate try to empty her stomach over and over again. She had nothing left to throw up but the horrible retching didn't stop.

"I'm going to get Luke," he announced but she gripped onto his arm and held him beside her.

"He's busy at the moment, and I'm only throwing up. It's nothing serious, nothing that compares to Loretta having a baby."

The instant she spoke, Alexei froze completely. He had a memory of Andrei's worried expression. Loretta had been throwing up violently, she had been running a temperature and was weak and fragile. His heart crashed loudly in his chest.

Cedar was throwing up, she sounded weak and disorientated. Her skin was clammy and she looked so miserable. Just as Loretta had looked. She couldn't be....?

Cedar sighed with relief as the last bit of nausea passed and she could tell that she would be getting a bit of a reprieve from throwing up. She rose unsteadily, flushing the toilet as Alexei watched her from his kneeling position of the tiled floor.

She turned to look down at him, irritation warring with relief that he was close by. "Wow, you can't make up your mind whether to look after me or sit there looking like a stunned rabbit," she grumbled moving passed him to head to the wash basin to rinse her mouth out and brush her teeth. She felt unsteady on her feet but not as bad as she had a few moments ago.

Her words broke Alexei out of his shock and he was at her side again in an instant. "Are you alright?" he asked concerned, running a hand gently down her back as she brushed her teeth and rinsed her mouth again.

"Just peachy," she growled, her displeasure evident in her tone. "You didn't need to break the bloody door down, Alexei. Jared's going to be pissed at the mess you've made. Anyone would think you'd never been around someone throwing up before."

Alexei growled low in his throat, turning her round to face him. "You have never thrown up before," he countered, his eyes intent on hers. "Where your health is concerned I'm prepared to demolish an entire fucking building to get to you so Jared can kiss my ass if he's pissed at his stupid door being broken."

"Alexei!"

"Shut up, Cedar," he interrupted her pressing her hard against the counter top, aligning his entire length against hers. He threaded his hands in her curls and brought her face to within an inch of his, never losing his connection with her eyes.

A slow smile spread over his face as he looked at her. "Remember the night Andrei called me to sit with Loretta?" he asked in a whisper. "Remember the meeting at Caleb's house the next night?"

For a moment she stared at him in confusion and then shock rippled across her beautiful face. Disbelief warred with hope as her eyes suddenly turned moist.

"Alexei," she breathed softly. "Do you think...?" She didn't dare finish the sentence, scared that they were on the wrong track.

"I don't know if it's too early yet," he sighed slowly working his hands down her sides to grip her hips. He knelt down, pressed his face against her stomach and inhaled deeply, scenting her sweet lemongrass fragrance which always made his head swim. He drew another long breath, searching hopefully.

A second later his hands tightened on her hips and his head tilted up to look at his beautiful mate. His eyes blazed with joy, his expression beatific.

"Alexei?" Cedar's heart was thumping so hard in her chest she thought it was going to burst out of her. He looked so amazed, so happy. Could it really mean? Oh God how she hoped so!

"It's so faint I thought I had imagined it the first time," he whispered, tears shimmering in his eyes, "but it's definitely there, sweetheart. The sweet scent of caramel."

A choked sound escaped her, her hands moving to tentatively touch her stomach. "Caramel," she echoed breathlessly. "Is it..?"

He rose, wrapping her tightly in his arms, joy surging through him as he laughed happy tears as his stunning mate wept against his neck. "One of those beautiful little girls we talked about," he confirmed, knowing that they had created the first of many daughters that he had imagined for their future.

Cedar cried, happiness overcoming her as Alexei held her so closely. She was pregnant at last. Her family was coming together, a beautiful daughter soon to be with them, completing her happiness. "We're having a baby," she suddenly managed to get out, shock and delight in her voice. "Alexei, we're having a baby!"

"I know, sweetheart," he laughed loudly, picking her up and swinging her around in his excitement.

Cedar let out a tortured groan. "Wrong move!" she groaned as her stomach roiled again violently. Her mate had her back at the toilet, supporting her tenderly as she heaved once more. This being sick part was a complete pain in the ass but it would be worth it when they held their child in two months time.

*****

Andrei was about ready to start busting heads when everyone finally decided to leave the bedroom and he finally got to have his family to himself. It had been chaotic from the moment his daughter had been born. There had been shouts through the closed door, Loretta had to be attended to and the baby had been taken to the side to be carefully checked over.

He had felt like a spare wheel, not knowing whether to hover over Loretta or go and protect his daughter. His dilemma was solved when Luke had expressed some concerns about Loretta haemorrhaging a little too much after the birth. Andrei had stayed with his mate to feed her a little of his blood to assist the healing process.

Once everything had been tidied up, he had a brief moment to gaze down at the sleeping babe in her crib. She looked just like her mother. Her face was blissfully serene as she slept, a shock of light brown hair dusting her tiny head. She was the most perfect little being he had ever laid eyes on. His precious Liliana.

Everyone had descended into the room at that point. He had given up his spot at the crib to let his Alphas greet the first member born into their pack. He had retreated to Loretta's side, placing an arm around her as she laughed and talked with her friends and her family.

Cedar and Alexei's announcement a little while later that they too were pregnant only increased the level of happiness within the room. The feeling of family, of belonging to all the gathered people suddenly hit Andrei like a sledgehammer.

It took him a little while to realise it but he suddenly understood that they were there not just for Loretta and Liliana, they were there for him too. Their happiness was an extension of his. He was considered part of their family.

He met Alexei's eyes and smiled at his twin. He saw something flare in his brother's eyes, it looked oddly like peace.

"Took you long enough, Andrei." Alexei's mental words resounded in his head and he knew what his brother meant. For so long he had only trusted three people in his life. Now he knew he could trust others and they would never let him down. It was a huge step for Andrei but one that helped him towards that peace he had seen in Alexei's eyes.

"You don't object to us naming her Liliana?" They hadn't told anyone what they'd intended to name their daughter, not wanting to tempt fate.

Alexei smiled such a beatific smile, his eyes turning moist. "Mama would have been so proud, Andrei. She would have adored Loretta and loved Liliana as if she were her own child. It is only right that the first born daughter should carry Mama's name."

Having Alexei's approval meant everything to Andrei. He could finally relax and enjoy the moment, secretly wishing everyone would go away and leave him in peace with his family.

Finally they did and he was left alone with Loretta firmly embraced in his arms. She gave a sleepy yawn, contentment oozing from her.

"Will you bring her over?" she asked softly.

JazCullen
JazCullen
6,491 Followers