The Cowboy Way Ch. 05

Story Info
The new job brings him Ashley Scott, and the end of Britney
7.5k words
4.74
25.2k
3
0

Part 5 of the 11 part series

Updated 09/23/2022
Created 05/27/2002
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Let me give a brief re-cap for all of you who are just tuning in to the story. Ryley Hale, our cowboy, was betrayed by Britney Spears, whom he thought he was in love with. So he left her and found a job in southern California, patrolling a large ranch where dozens of celebrities keep their horses. Ryley met up with Brooke Burke, an old love of his and they re-lit the fire they had once shared. They came close to running off together but Ryley dissuaded her from doing so. Enjoy this chapter, and I’d like to persuade you to email me your ideas and ask you to vote so I get an idea of the overall attitude towards the story- the cowboy

Ryley walked down the stairs from the loft he had been living in at the ranch. The warm, musty smell of the horses reached his nose as he opened the door from the stair well and stepped into the main causeway that ran through the barn. He placed his Stetson on his head and brushed off his faded jeans, trying to make himself presentable to the half a dozen curious female faces that turned towards him.

Walking down the row of stalls, Ryley looked in at each and every horse, admiring the sleek and powerful lines of some very expensive animals. Several of the horses that had come to know Ryley stuck their heads out, earning a quick rub down from Ryley. Eventually he made it out of the barn, despite the looks of some very good-looking girls.

For some reason Ryley wasn’t interested in them. It wasn’t that he didn’t like women or the ones that cast him the looks they did. But he could tell they saw him as a toy, something to play with, have their fun and then put back where they found it. Sometimes that was fine, but Ryley wanted something more, a relationship, romance and affection. These were thoughts that Ryley kept to himself most of the time, because a guy like Ryley was supposed to be free, a rebel, you know a cowboy.

Well Ryley definitely was a cowboy, but he needed a woman, someone he could give his heart to. But at the moment he needed to clear his head, so he pulled the keys for the Camaro out of his pocket. Rounding the corner of the barn he saw the car, glistening in the early morning sun. Climbing into the driver’s seat, he started the engine and shifted into gear.

He flipped on the CD player, cranking up the music so he could hear it over the sound of the motor. Ryley drove slowly down the driveway and onto the road. Once he had the rear tires on asphalt, Ryley gunned the motor and guided the car into a long, loud and graceful sideways power-slide. Straightening the car, he drove hard and fast along the back roads, which cut through a very rolling, rural area.

Ryley drive so hard and so precariously that every turn was accompanied by the sound of squealing tires. He hung the car on the edge of control, daring physics to take control of the Camaro. This was a dance, one that Ryley knew well and always lead.

Finally, Ryley turned onto a four lane county road with other cars, houses and businesses. He cooled down, dialing back his speed for the sake of those around him. Sitting back in his seat, Ryley stopped at a red light and watched the cars crossing in front of him along with some pedestrians.

From behind the Camaro, Ryley heard the sound of a nicely tuned engine and he swiveled in his seat to see what it was. Waiting right behind the Camaro was a metallic blue 1967 Sting Ray. Ryley could clearly see the big-block hood, so he knew the car had a 427 sitting in the engine compartment.

The driver was a middle-aged man, who smiled at Ryley and revved his engine, the deep-throated roar proving that the car had a big block. Ryley revved his engine, letting the Corvette driver hear the turbo’s spool up and the wicked whistle of the blow off valves releasing the compressed air. Ryley saw the man raise his eyebrows and give the thumbs up.

In the next moment the automotive serenity that surrounded the Corvette and Camaro was shattered by the incessant buzz of a souped up import. Ryley turned to his left as a white Supra rolled to a stop. The window rolled down and Ryley saw . . .

“ Son of a bitch,” Ryley said.

He couldn’t believe it. It was the same kid that had raced Britney the day they had gotten her Camaro. The kid sneered at Ryley, obviously not remembering who he was. He obviously didn’t hear the subtle whine of the twin turbo LT4 either.

“ Nice Camaro, man,” the kid called.

Ryley nodded.

“ Wanna see how fast it is?”

Ryley smiled. “ I know how fast it is.”

“ Okay, then how about if it’s faster then my ride?”

Ryley nodded. “ Sure, when the light turns green.”

The kid smiled and revved his engine. Ryley shook his head and merely brought the RPM’s up in the Camaro, holding it steady. He watched the opposing light and when it turned orange he fed the Camaro more gas, spooling up the first turbo.

The green light flashed on and Ryley dumped the clutch. The rear tires of the Camaro went up in a haze of smoke, as Ryley knew they would. The Supra, also spinning its tires jumped ahead by a car length, as Ryley eased up on the gas pedal. Now freshly heated, the rear tires of the Camaro caught the pavement and propelled the car forwards as if shot from a cannon.

Shifting quickly into second, Ryley pulled abreast of the Supra and passed the car like it was standing still. Ryley heard the engine of the Supra roar and the car passed him after inhaling a healthy dose of nitrous oxide. Working the gears, Ryley began to pull again on the Supra when the car suddenly swerved into his lane.

“ Fuck!” Ryley swore and slammed on the brakes.

The rear wheels locked up at eighty miles an hour, throwing up twin plumes of dense white smoke and filling the air with the sound of squealing rubber. Ryley struggled to control the Camaro as it turned ninety degrees to the left, forcing Ryley to counter steer wildly. Ryley now faced the very real possibility of the Camaro crashing into a building and injuring or killing an innocent bystander. As he struggled to control the Camaro he saw the kid in the Supra flip him the bird.

That did it; Ryley’s instincts took over. He whipped the steering wheel to the left and downshifted, gunning the motor. The rear tires spun, viciously and the Camaro spun counter clockwise, now facing the way it had been going. Ryley brought the car back under control and fed the beast, watching the speedometer climb past ninety miles an hour.

The scenery around him began to change, becoming more rural, the road surrounded by fairly flat plains of scrub grass and sagebrush. Up ahead, Ryley saw the Supra still cruising at a fairly high rate of speed. Gritting his teeth, Ryley punched the accelerator and the Camaro roared up alongside the Supra. Ryley glared over at the other driver whose face had gone deathly pale.

Ryley pushed the Camaro past the Supra and cut across the other lane. The Supra swerved to avoid the Camaro, fishtailing wildly. Suddenly the Supra spun out of control and went right into the ditch alongside the road. Sticking his hand out the window, Ryley flipped the kid in the Supra the bird. Smiling to himself, he brought the Camaro back down to a more acceptable speed.

Suddenly, the Corvette that had been behind the Camaro at the stoplight before, roared up next to Ryley. The driver was shouting something over the roar of the engines but Ryley couldn’t hear him. Putting in the clutch and letting off the gas, Ryley lowered the noise from the Camaro.

“ Pull over,” shouted the driver.

“ What for?” Ryley shouted back.

“ I need to talk to you.”

Ryley nodded. “ Follow me.”

The Corvette fell back behind the Camaro and Ryley drove for a few more miles until he saw a roadside diner, with a few gas pumps. Ryley pulled into the parking lot and stopped the Camaro next to a row of motorcycles. The Corvette pulled up next to the Camaro, also cutting its engine.

Ryley stepped out of the Camaro and closed the door. The other guy also climbed out of his Corvette. Ryley saw he was wearing a pair of jeans, boots and a sport coat. He smoothed his hands through his short gray hair.

“ So what’s up?” Ryley asked.

“ That was some of the best driving I’ve ever seen. Where did you learn to drive like that?”

“ It’s a long story.”

The man nodded. “ Buy ya a cup of coffee?”

“ Why?” Ryley asked.

“ I have a business proposition for you.”

Ryley walked into the diner and sat down at the counter with this guy. They each got a cup of coffee and Ryley ran the guy through his entire career of building and racing cars. The man actually took out a notepad and jotted down a few notes, which amused Ryley to the point where he had to suppress a laugh.

“ So were you in control of that slide the entire time?”

“ I’m sorry, what’s your name?” Ryley asked.

The man extended his hand. “ Steve Benedetti.”

Ryley shook his hand. “ Ryley Hale and yes I was in control of the entire slide.”

“ Would you like a job?”

Ryley gave the guy a look. “ Doing what?”

“ Driving cars.”

“ Mister, I just told you that I was black flagged, except maybe for a miracle I’ll never drive again.”

Steve shook his head. “ I didn’t mean on a race track.”

Ryley grew suspicious. “ Look, I’m not a wheelman, okay?”

Laughing, Steve shook his head. “ Listen, have you ever been to a movie?”

“ Of course.”

“ Have you ever seen a music video, or a commercial.”

“ Yeah.”

“ Have you ever seen how many car chases, power slides, burnouts and road races there are?”

Ryley began to understand. “ Yeah, a lot.”

Steve nodded. “ I’m an agent. I represent several celebrities, but my main area of expertise is representing stunt doubles and stunt men.”

“ Okay, go on.”

“ So right now I’m looking for a driver. I have a couple, but none of them have ever exhibited the kind of precision and control that you just did.”

Ryley thought about it a moment. “ What would I be doing?”

“ Well I get contacted by producers and they tell me what they’re looking for. I send you. You’ll work with them; advise them on anything related to the scenes they want you for. Then you’ll set up the cars if need be and then shoot the scene. Some jobs take longer then others, but the pay is extremely generous.”

“ And what is your take?” Ryley asked.

Steve sipped from his coffee. “ Four and a half percent.”

Ryley looked out the window, running his hand over his goatee.

“ Ryley, it’ll get you back in a car doing what you’re good at,” Steve said. “ Who knows it might even open up the doors and get you back on the tracks.”

“ Can I use my own team to help me?”

“ You can use whoever you want, but the pay won’t change.”

“ Will the money be enough to support a pit crew?”

Steve thought for a moment. “ I would think so. As your reputation spreads then the monetary amounts will grow as well.”

“ All right,” Ryley said. “ I’ll do it.”

TWO WEEKS LATER

Ryley guided the Camaro carefully through the throng of people outside the entrance to the set of S.W.A.T. These people had been gathered there in large numbers for the past three days. This aspect of the film was one of several scenes that involved high-speed chases.

The past few days Ryley, TJ and the rest of the crew had managed to pull off two very long and rather elaborate police chases. Those scenes had been heart pounding as they were filmed in the rather densely populated streets of LA. Now the job was almost done, the only thing remaining was a scene where one of the lead characters, played by Colin Farrell, was racing along some back roads trying to get to the scene of an impending bank robbery.

As Ryley cleared the edge of the screaming throng of fans, he could see the row of trailers and actors. Security moved the wooden barricades aside and waved him through. Gunning the motor, Ryley roared across the dusty parking lot and turned into a spot alongside TJ’s trailer. Climbing from the car, Ryley adjusted his sunglasses and looked over at the throng of actors, actresses, producers, the director and extras.

Closing the door to the car, Ryley walked over to where TJ and the crew were busily modifying a maroon Caprice cop car. Ryley propped his foot up on the bumper of the car and looked under the open hood. He nodded in approval.

TJ had done some simple modifications, which would allow the car to breathe better, hence make more power. The other boys were busy checking tire pressure and making some final suspension adjustments. Pushing his creeper out from under the car TJ smiled up at Ryley.

“ Mornin,’ boss,” he called, as he stood up.

Ryley smiled. “ Don’t give me that boss shit.”

“ Well you are.”

Ryley nodded. “ Maybe, but I don’t need that title. So are we ready to roll?”

“ Hell yeah. She’s got a lower rear gear so you can get her sideways better and the camera can pick up that screamin’ LT1. Suspension is tweaked, so she won’t rock as much and the tires are some nice, brandy new BFG’s,” TJ said, slapping Ryley on the back.

“ Good. Let’s do this so we can get paid and go party.”

“ Yeah, no shit. Oh and by the way, she’s staring at you right now.”

Ryley smiled. “ Where is she?”

“ Over your right shoulder, other side of the Camaro. White top, black leather pants.”

Ryley nodded, then turned and walked back towards the Camaro. Standing on the other side of the Camaro, obviously staring at him was Ashley Scott. She was the female star of the movie, a former model and played the ‘huntress’ on the WB’s hit, ‘Birds of Prey.’ Ashley’s eyes had been glued to Ryley since the day he had set foot on the set.

At first Ryley had thought nothing of it. He had already known he would be somewhat of an oddity in the world of Hollywood celebrities. The producers had thought he was incapable at first, but his knowledge pertaining to vehicles was invaluable. Ryley had quelled any doubts about himself within two hours of showing up on the set.

However, showing up on set in cowboy boots, faded jeans and T-shirts was definitely one way to stand out. Actually, aloof would be a better term to describe how effortlessly Ryley mingled with the big-ticket celebrities on the set. He moved around Samuel L. Jackson, Colin Farrell and others with an ease that was almost unnerving.

The only person on set he had avoided with a subconscious intensity was Ashley. His first day there, Ryley had stepped out of the still smoking M3 he had just thoroughly abused while filming the first chase scene. Slamming the door shut behind him, he turned to face the producers who running over screaming Ryley’s praises. Right behind them was Ashley.

Her dazzling blue eyes were fixed on him with a predatory gaze that Ryley held for a moment. That gorgeous face of hers was framed by her dark hair while she chewed lightly on the end of her sunglasses. Ryley had turned away after a few moments, but the meaning of the look they had exchanged was very obvious.

Since then he had purposely avoided speaking with her, which should have been easy considering they had never spoken, but that had proven difficult. It seemed that every moment Ashley wasn’t filming she had bumped into Ryley somewhere on the set. So far Ryley had done a good job of being needed somewhere else, but now Ashley was leaning on the roof of the Camaro with a highly pissed off look on her face.

Ryley popped the trunk open and opened his duffel bag. Ashley stepped around the side of the trunk and leaned on the quarter panel. Inadvertently, Ryley’s eyes dropped down to her leather clad, incredible ass and long, luscious legs. Blinking, Ryley looked up to her face as she pulled her glasses off rather seductively.

“ What’s up, Ashley?”

She glared at him. “ What’s up is: this is your last day filming.”

“ Yeah, just about done.”

Ashley straightened up. “ My point exactly. You’ve ignored me for the past three days. What’s your deal?”

Ryley looked down as he pulled on a pair of black leather driving gloves.

“ Come on, Ryley Hale,” Ashley said. “ Are you afraid of me?”

He looked up, his eyes locking with hers. “ Maybe.”

She nodded. “ I’m not Britney,” she said, then turned to walk away.

“ Ashley wait,” Ryley called.

Ashley stopped and looked over her shoulder.

“ Me and the boys are going out to that bar right around the corner tonight. If you weren’t busy, maybe you could stop by and have a drink with me.”

Her eyes swept over his form, then she slid her glasses back on. “ Maybe.”

Ryley smiled as she walked away, her ass swaying provocatively. The night would definitely be interesting.

THREE HOURS LATER

Smoke was still pouring off the brakes, tires and from various other parts under the car when Ryley stepped out of the Caprice. A celebration of sorts was underway amongst the cast and crew of the film, who stood a short distance away at the cluster of trailers and vehicles. They waved at him, saluting him with beers, glasses of champagne and bottles.

Smiling, Ryley waved as the camera cars and chase vehicles pulled to a stop alongside him. TJ climbed out of the lead chase vehicle and gave a whoop of joy. He rushed over and clapped Ryley on the back, handing him a bottle of beer.

“ That was some of the best driving I’ve ever seen, Ryley,” TJ said.

Ryley took a long swallow from his beer, blinking in the late afternoon sun.

“ Yeah, it was pretty hot,” Ryley commented.

Through the crowd, Ryley saw Ashley talking to Colin. As she listened to him she looked over his shoulder and right at Ryley. She smiled at him, her eyes sparkling as they regarded him. This time, Ryley smiled back before he and TJ joined the boys at their trailer to begin packing everything up.

A few hours later they were all gathered in the smoky atmosphere of a country-western pool hall, dance hall, restaurant and bar type place. The sound system of the expansive dance floor was cranking out Kenny Chesney’s ‘Young’ video. Ryley, TJ and the rest of the crew was standing at the bar or sitting at a nearby table, drinking beer and eating steak dinners.

The successful completion of their part of the filming process was a special occasion for the group. This was the first time they had worked together on a project in years and it held a special meaning for them. Basically it was an unspoken statement to the world to the effect of ‘we’re back.’ All in all they were in high spirits as they ate and drank, reliving some of their old memories.

Ryley had almost forgotten about his invitation to Ashley, at least until he turned around and she was right there in front of him. Her gorgeous face was framed perfectly by her dark hair and her blue eyes were filled with a barely contained desire. She wore a pair of hip hugging black pants that flared to encase her legs, but did nothing to hide their shapeliness. A light blue, sleeveless top showed off her nicely shaped breasts, and nicely toned, tan arms. By the time Ryley had taken in her outfit, his eyes reflected the same look that was in Ashley’s.

“ Hey, Ashley,” Ryley said.

She cocked her head slightly. “ Hello, Ryley.”

They stood there for a moment, each regarding the other.

“ You wanna get out of here?” she asked.

Ryley smiled and pulled his car keys from his pocket. Ashley turned around and began making her way through the crowds of people along the bar. Ryley followed her, his eyes shifting down to her ass, as it shifted inside of her pants while she walked. He shook his head, wondering what she had in mind for the night.

Suddenly, a large hand reached out and grabbed Ashley’s arm, stopping her and pulling her back on her heels. Ryley looked up and saw a man of about his own age, with a few days worth of beard on his face and a hungry look in his eyes. Ashley tried to pull out of his grasp but he was having none of it.

“ Let me go,” Ashley ordered, her voice ice cold.

“ Aw, c’mon, sweet cheeks,” slurred the man. “ How’s about stayin’ and havin’ a couple drinks with me an’ da boys?”