The Descending of Jessica Ch. 16

Story Info
Continuing the story.
19.9k words
4.77
11.3k
4

Part 16 of the 17 part series

Updated 10/11/2022
Created 07/31/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Jessie92
Jessie92
503 Followers

Sorry it took so long to get this chapter out, life has been overwhelming. The Amber series is about to start, and I may sporadically add to the Jessica series as well.

So, here's the thing; if you haven't read any of the previous chapters, you are bound to be totally lost. The story thus far is too long to explain, so I would urge you to read them first, or at least enough of them to get an idea of how we got to this point.

As always, thanks to my editor, Tangentjoker. If you aren't reading his stories you should start right now! Well, read this first, leave a nice comment, then read his. Leave him nice comments too!

Thanks for reading mine, and as always, feedback is welcome. It's about the only way I know if anyone reads it, and if anyone has cracked the code about the last letter in every paragraph in that one chapter.

----

After the tear fest with Alex in the den, we all settled back down. Alex relaxed in our company and Sarah began talking to him about what he liked to do. This often brought references to his mother as it seemed he had little social life outside their home. He had a few friends at his old school but it was apparently very cliquish there among the whites, blacks and hispanics. As he was an American of Honduran descent, most of the Hispanics had began to shun him as they entered middle school and he found little acceptance amongst others. He made it clear he would not miss his old school.

As to fun, he enjoyed movies, playing on the computer and fishing, although he didn't get to go often. He had joined the Boy Scouts at his mother's insistence and had gone with them a few times, as well as camping and hiking. Of all these, he liked fishing the best.

"Well, Dad," Brent said, "looks like you've got a fishing buddy."

"So it would seem. Good thing I kept the boat." Dr. Ron laughed.

Ron and Allison had a boat they kept docked on the river a half hour drive or so away but rarely used it. I had only been out on it once or twice. It was a small one room cruiser but was too big to ski from and I don't think he and Allison were ever really comfortable with me laying in the sun on it, nor was Allison a big fan of it in general. It wasn't that she didn't enjoy going out on it, she just enjoyed other diversions more. Ron had tried to get

Brent into boating but he lost interest as he couldn't ski behind it and, as I would find out later that evening as we talked at home, once he had seen me in a two piece it just tore up his teenage hormones too much to enjoy fishing when we went as a family.

"You have a boat?" Alex smiled, clearly elated.

"Yep, and now I have a reason to. Once the weather gets warmer lets you, Brent and me go get some crappie."

"That would be great! I don't have any fishing gear. Mr. Crawford always let us use his, but I've caught a bass and lots of bluegill," he said with pride.

"If you bring any home you better plan on cleaning them and cooking them yourself!" Allison exclaimed.

"Damita likes that." Alex smiled as he looked at Allison. She had been absentmindedly petting her for several minutes but had not noticed until Alex pointed it out.

"I like her too. I wish we could keep her here but you don't want to see me break out in an allergy attack," she said as she stopped petting Damita, apparently through conscious will alone.

"That's okay. I'm just glad she has a home and I can see her. I should take her for a walk, though. She's housebroken, but she has to go outside every few hours. Do you

have something she can drink out of? I think she's thirsty."

"Sure, I'll get her leash. Brent can walk her with you and I'll have food and water when you get back okay?" I answered.

"Thanks!"

"I'll go too!" Sarah volunteered.

"Don't you have homework?" Ron asked, to her enormous disappointment.

"Just some math. We're doing fractions and percents. I don't get it," Sarah confessed.

"I can do that. You show me where to walk Damita and I'll help you with your homework. Deal?" Alex asked, more to Ron than to Sarah.

"Deal!" Ron answered to Sarah's glee.

"Oh, dear. I remember the last time a boy helped a girl with math homework around here," Allison quipped.

Everyone snickered at this, except Sarah and Alex, who did not understand the inside joke.

"You mean when Brent helped me before Christmas break?" Sarah asked.

"No, dear. You run along. Help Alex walk Damita but stay in the yard, okay?"

"Okay. Come on, Alex. Brent, will you get us the leash?"

"Sure," he replied.

"Brent, why don't you go with them?" Ron asked.

"I was going to. Duh." He smiled.

Soon enough, they were on their way and I had food and water on the front steps for the pup. I then joined Allison and Ron again as the others walked Damita in the cool twilight. The sound of tweenage giggles filled the evening air.

"So, that went well," I said as I returned to the couch.

"Could not have gone better," Ron agreed.

"Can you believe how Sarah acted? I swear one day she's whining like a lost kitten and the next she's uh.." Allison stopped, trying to think of a good simile.

"The next she's the only one that knows the right thing to say?" I suggested.

"Yes. Exactly. So, let me ask you, Jessie, did you used to eavesdrop on us?" Allison grinned.

"No! I would have never... I mean, I don't know where that came from! Remember when you told me last night something I said was dumb, and you were all stressed out? She told us when she heard you she thought you were calling me dumb, and came back to defend me and then started hearing what we were talking about and listened. When we picked her up, she acted kind of odd I guess but I didn't really notice until she said she knew about Alex already."

"Well you know I didn't say you were dumb, I hope it didn't come out that way, you're as smart as anyone I know!" Allison pleaded.

"Oh! No worries! I never took it badly. You were saying something I said about Donna having a baby and making us jealous was dumb, and you know, it was dumb. I think she just heard 'dumb' and 'Jessie' and took it wrong. You don't have to apologize to me and I've already told her what that was about. She just misunderstood. Oh! But I have to tell you what she said! It made me cry. When we were in the truck talking to her, she was petting the dog and I asked how she felt about getting a new brother. She compared us - Brent, her, Alex and me - to being like the puppy in the shelter and how we were lucky to have a forever home. I nearly lost it. I couldn't believe that she had such insight."

"Wow." Allison said. "Its not really like that I guess, bu.,,:

"Yes it is. When she said it, I thought, 'All this time I've had all these confusing feelings, and she sums it up with a comment about a dog.' I'm telling you, she's the smartest of all your kids. At least, well, I would have never thought of that. It made me realize again I can't ever thank you enough for taking me in. You didn't have to, you didn't need me for anything, but you just did."

"That is pretty deep for her age, thank you for talking her through it all. And you never have to thank us. You being here has brought all of us so much joy. I hope someday you'll feel the kind of happiness that kids bring to a home. But we've been sappy enough for one day, don't you think? So, how are you feeling?" Ron asked.

"Good. A little drained emotionally at the moment, but I feel better everyday. It was nice to get back to class today and kind of

get a feeling of normal going. I think I need a routine right now with so many changes going on."

"I bet. You need a vacation. You're still healing, you know. You staying hydrated? Eating right? Avoiding stress?"

"Yes, yes, and yes, and I know I could use a few more weeks off to get adjusted but I have a wedding to plan, school is back, and I'm trying to start a marriage and a life together with Brent. I don't have time for a vacation right now!" I laughed.

"Well, just take it easy. How do your classes look so far?"

"Not bad. Carolyn and Andrew are going to be studying with us. It should be manageable. By the way, Spring Break is the third week in March, I think, if you two want us to take care of Sarah and Alex while you take off."

Both openly laughed at me.

"We were going to tell you two to take off!" Allison laughed. "Seriously, go to the beach. Get some sun!"

"Oh, that's nice of you, but we'll be doing the honeymoon after the wedding, and we'll have to figure out a way for you to either watch Damita or find a kennel that will take Alex, too. Plus, I can get a lot done then, and I think I would rather hang around with Brent and the kids than be at the beach right now. I think tomorrow I will get Brent to move the desk out of the office room and we'll start making a room for Alex there so he can come up this weekend with Sarah, if that's alright. That way, you can still cut out for the weekend, Sarah can get tutored by Carolyn and Alex can visit Damita. Brent and I will skip the dinner thing so Carolyn doesn't have to watch both."

"Oh, you don't have to do that. We'll stay here with Alex and..." Allison said before I interrupted.

"It's no big deal. I don't mind."

"No, honey, let your mother finish. If Carolyn can watch them both great, but if not, we'll stay here. We weren't doing anything special anyway. But the other thing is your study room. I think it's great to make a room for Alex's visits in it temporarily, but I was, well, Allison and I were talking, why don't we just finish the basement and make it into a den and spare bedroom for you guys,

then use the study room to put in stairs to the attic and finish it this spring, too. You guys take off for Spring Break and we can get most of it done I bet if we get the right contractors."

"That's too much! That's silly, we're only going to stay there through college!" I said.

"Yeah, but I can write it off and call it an improvement so there is an advantage to us as well. Plus, you know what our family motto is, 'I can't take it with me, and I'm not leaving it to you!'" He laughed.

"Ugh! You two! You're trying to turn Brent and I into spoiled brats!"

"Is it working? It doesn't seem like its working, Ron. She's still nice to people and driving a pickup." Allison smiled.

"Our experiment has failed," Ron said with a sad voice.

"Okay, I'll talk to Brent about it, but no promises. And I'll see if Carolyn doesn't mind Alex staying with her while we go to the dinner I don't really care about." I smiled.

"Jessie, I know you want to spend as much time as you can with Sarah and Alex but we want you to take some time for yourself, too. You need the rest. Look, I've put some thought into this. A lot of what's been eating at Sarah was nearly losing you. You two had just met a few weeks before but, from phone calls and visits, you had quickly become her best bud. I doubt she ever had someone like you in her life. You're more than a foster sister. She looks up to you as much as she does us. She's bonded with you and you have with her, too. You can't even pretend you haven't. And although you were not awake through it, she nearly lost you four times. She dreamed of having a big sister all her life, then gets one and spent weeks thinking you were not going to come back. We all did. We hoped and prayed we were wrong but especially her and Brent; well, they suffered even more than the rest of us. They both took it hard and I think thats why they are both so protective of you and why Sarah is still shaky a lot. She knows now we'd never give her up, and you two wouldn't either, but she is afraid you could seize again any minute and be gone. And poor Brent! He goes through all that, and you don't know how he cried, we all did, but Brent... well, he was ready to die himself if he lost you. We had the pastor talk to him and it did no good. If your readouts hadn't started looking up we were going to get him to a psychiatrist. So, if Sarah wants to cling to you and Brent seems overly worried, just let it be. There is only so much of you, and if you don't take care of yourself and rest; well, no one wants that. So please, take it easy, okay? For all of our sakes, but especially those two. You're irreplaceable," Ron said.

This was the first time Ron, Allison and I had been able to talk, just the three of us, since I woke at the hospital. I didn't really want to have this conversation but I knew my injuries had taken their toll on them and they deserved to talk to me about how it had affected everyone. They had every right to scold me about taking care of myself. It was just another way of saying they loved me.

"I know. I am getting enough sleep though, I promise. I do need some empty days, too, but it's just been so busy. Maybe after this week, once I have a routine back, it will slow down. Besides, hanging out with Sarah isn't tiring, and you're right. She's not like a foster sister. She's my little sis. There is nothing foster about it. And I can't spend time with her and spend the same time without her anyway. Brent made me give up thinking of him as my big brother but I'm never going to see Brat as anything except my little sis. I'm sure Alex won't be a burden to have up, either. He is adorable! Oh, and Brent is taking good care of me. I promise."

"Has the marriage thing we talked about last week worked itself out now?" Ron asked delicately. I knew he was referring to my fit of depression on my wedding night.

"Yes! Definitely!" I smiled.

"That's good. That had us worried, too," Allison said. I should have realized my fit of hormonal rage and self loathing would have been shared with her by Ron and, after a moment's thought, did not mind at all.

"You don't have to worry. Ya know, maybe for Spring Break Brent and I should get away for a bit. It might be nice to slow down some and have some romance time."

"Thanks, but we'll worry just the same. Its a parent's prerogative. And seriously, I think it's a good idea to finish the basement and attic while you're away. It will give you all the room you need. Hey, did anyone else think he pronounced her name, "Damn It Uh," the first time?" Ron asked.

"Only you, Ron, only you," Allison sighed as he smiled. From my smile and hers, I'm sure Ron knew we were all thinking the same thing.

We chatted a half hour or so until Brent and the kids came in with a re-energized puppy with them. Then Ron announced he was cooking dinner. This was a joke around the house which Sarah enjoyed explaining to Alex. Whenever we ordered carry out it was referred to as Ron cooking dinner. That night, he cooked pizza; which delivered. We ate together at the dining room table, which was not usual for such casual fare but it got Alex accustomed to they way things generally were around the house as that was where we normally ate and we didn't usually do carry out. I knew from my experience that sitting at the table eating dinner like a family was something to cherish after the wrecked childhoods we kids had shared.

After dinner, Allison cleaned up. I tried to help but was shooed away. Brent and Ron hung around the edge of the kitchen talking sports but, in reality, were keeping an eye on our math student and tutor to make sure what Alex was teaching was correct and that Sarah was learning. It was like reliving my own experience with math a couple years earlier when Brent had helped me pass high school Algebra.

Alex was quite smart for his age. He only had to ask a couple of questions along the way when he got stumped and Sarah was soaking it all up and seemed to be understanding it. It was hard to believe that she was a grade ahead of him but, just as I had, she came to the family and school district with a lot of catching up to do.

Once Allison finished, the kids finished Sarah's homework, and Damita was again walked briefly, it was early enough for the kids to pick out a movie for us to watch as a family. Ron keeps quite a few on DVD but Sarah wanted to show how the cable and internet accounts worked so, while she taught Alex, Brent and I curled up on the couch. Ron and Allison sat beside us after popcorn and drinks were served, again not allowing me to help. Sarah sat by Allison, and finally Alex found his place between Brent and Ron, both of whom were doting on their little fishing buddy.

Life was good.

The evening ended too soon and, as far as the drive back to our home went, too late. Damita was a bit upset about leaving Alex and he was a bit teary, too, until Allison suggested they stop by while shopping the next day so Alex could help Damita settle into our home. Alex went to his room, Brent's old one, and came back having changed shirts, and carrying the old and worn flannel one he had been wearing.

"Mom said she knows us by scent, so let her sleep with this," he said as he handed it to Brent. "It will calm her down. I always

let her sleep on my old clothes if she was upset or I was away at school. I guess it worked."

"That's a good idea, buddy" Brent said, accepting the shirt with a smile. I didn't know if that was true or not but Damita was calmer on the drive home.

The evening ended in a chorus of hugs between the six of us and Alex gave us all smiles, which was the best present he could have given. He was sad at losing his mom, and would continue to be, but I think he felt safe and cared for. I knew that soon he would grow to love our family and we would grow to love him. He wasn't as extroverted as Sarah, he was quite reserved in fact, but he was a wonderful, caring little boy and we just adored him.

Sarah protested that she wanted to go shopping, too, but Ron and Allison both nixed this. If she wanted, she could go after she got out of school the next day but you only got to skip school your first two days and she had already gotten hers. Plus, she would have more homework and it would need to be done. Ron and Allison were strict about our studies. They continued to be with Brat and would be with Alex, too.

"Well, can I go to see Sissy, Brent and Damita tomorrow with you?"

"We'll see," Allison said but we all knew she would be bringing them by after she picked Sarah up.

"Am I still spending the weekend with you?" Sarah asked me.

"Of course, why wouldn't you? Both you and Alex are. Mom and Dad need a break too, ya know!" I smiled.

"Jessie, we have a lot to do and you have your thing Saturday, maybe we should think about..." was all Allison got out before Sarah and Alex's grins cut her off. "Oh, all right. But you have to take it easy on Jessie. She needs her rest, understand?"

"We will, I promise" Sarah replied. Alex looked confused.

"You need rest?" He asked.

I knelt down to his height for one more bye hug, and said "Yeah, I was in an accident and hurt pretty bad. Everybody was worried and upset about me for weeks. I'm mostly better now but the doctors want me to get a lot of rest. Mom and Dad and Sarah worry about me a lot and poor Brent, too. It's nice to be worried about, though. It means people love you, ya know? Anyway, you don't have to worry about me. They worry enough and I need one family member who isn't scared I'm going to fall over. Okay?"

"Okay! But... are you going to fall over?" Alex asked.

"Brent will catch me if I do. He always has. I'm doing pretty good and Saturday morning I get to start running again and going to the gym. Do you like to run?"

"Yeah, I'll run with you. That way if Brent gets tired I can catch you if you fall." He grinned.

That got him a kiss on the forehead which, in turn, earned me the biggest smile a little boy has ever given me.

A little before 10 we were on the road. This cut into my plans severely as we had class in the morning but it was worth it to me. As to how Brent felt, well, he was so protective of me I doubt it would have come up had I not raised it after we merged onto the interstate.

Jessie92
Jessie92
503 Followers