The Divorce

Story Info
Family law rule.
3.8k words
3.77
89.8k
21
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Beep...Beep...Beep...

The rhythmic beat of Danny Effron's heart filled the CCU room. He stirred, slowly regaining consciousness. Opening his eyes he waited until he could focus. He was in a hospital room. The pain screamed though his nerve ends. He had just wanted them to let him die.

"Let me go."

Pip...pip...pip...pip...

"Please just let me die."

Pip...Pip...Pip...

"I'm sorry Sam. Please, just stop the pain."

Pip...Pip...Beep...

"Sam, help me."

Pip...Beep...Beep...Beep...Beep.

Danny woke suddenly. He shivered. Sweat soaked the sheets of the bed. The nightmare had come again. This time, though, it had changed, moved on from the gas station to the hospital. Slowly he brought his breathing under control. Seeing Sam sleeping peacefully he slid his legs over the edge of the bed. He paused and then moved carefully so as not to disturb her. In the kitchen he poured himself a glass of milk.

"Hey!" said Sam softly as she padded into the kitchen

"I'm sorry if I woke you."

Sam shook her head. "I woke up when I didn't feel you next to me."

Sam had located a house two days after the confrontation with the parent units. The viewing was that afternoon. It was a fixer-up; a three bed and three bath detached unit that had been a foreclosure. Danny only had to look at Sam to know that this was where they should be. Sam had made enquiries and discovered what the bank was asking for the house. They bid $45,000 under the bank's asking price. The bank accepted the offer immediately. Gayle completed the contractual details.

Sam took two pieces of furniture with her when she moved out; Jessica's cot and the leather armchair from the kitchen. She had bought the armchair whilst at university; she had found it in a second hand store. She couldn't really afford it but it turned out to be the best $25 she had ever spent. Before moving in they had spent two weeks redecorating the kitchen, one of the bathrooms and the master bedroom. They purchased new furniture starting with a solid oak framed king size bed in the master bedroom. An identical queen size bed was sitting in its wrapping in the second bedroom.

Sam moved Danny's hand and then climbed on to into his lap. Unconsciously she tucked up her legs and rested her head on his shoulder. The hem of her hockey shirt slid off her thighs revealing her white panties. He felt his cock pulse. Yet he only wrapped his arms around her and held her close.

If there was any guilt Sam felt none as she sat in court knowing that she was nursing Danny's cum inside. Serenaded by the dawn's chorus they had made love on the kitchen table that morning.

Secrets and lies, they would be revealed. Sam had one that she hadn't confessed to Danny. It was a fear rather than a secret. They told each other everything. It had started with Danny. Strangely Sam remembered that it had been a Thursday. Danny had looked troubled. After dinner he had taken her by the hand and led her to the living room. Sam didn't interrupt as he told her of the nightmares. She was shocked when he told her that he had met with a police department psychologist. He had further shocked her when he asked her to be there. Sam saw the next step in their relationship.

It was during one of the twice weekly sessions that the psychologist took her to one side and explained how Danny was building up a relationship with her based ultimately on love but also on trust. By including her in his innermost thoughts and fears he was giving her his unreserved trust. It was the same bond that solders in the same unit established between one another. That same bond of trust existed between an undercover agent and their handler. Danny was offering the same to her.

As she looked into his eyes she made a vow that no matter what happened she would tell him her fears. She saw it in his eyes. They were a mirror of hers

"We'll talk later," he said privately. Sam nodded, slightly puzzled that he knew what she was thinking.

They had been sitting in the court room for over twenty minutes when Chris, Henry Martindale, his attorney, Michelle, Bob and Mary entered. Danny had sensed them enter the room. He didn't look up when they hesitated in the aisle before moving in the bench seat opposite to sit behind the defence table. From time to time they would sneak looks across the courtroom.

"All rise!" Danny moved to his feet as Judge Margaret Rolling of the 17th District entered the court. Rolling caught his eye. It was the barest of moments but she had made him aware that she knew of his presence. The gavel was rapped on the small wooden pad and Rolling called the court to order. Sam had filed divorce papers first. Gayle was the prosecuting attorney.

"Council, please call your first witness."

Gayle spoke clearly. "We call Daniel Effron to the stand."

Sam's head jerked up. She was expecting to be called to the stand. It was not to be as Danny walked slowly to the stand. The bailiff moved to the stand and Danny swore the oath.

"Daniel, have you ever slept with your sister."

"Objection," roared Martindale. Gayle had just usurped her opposite number. "Relevance?"

"It will soon become evident, Your Honour."

"Overruled but please get there quickly Ms Demmy."

"Yes, your Honour."

Danny was silent.

"I can't answer." Danny saw Martindale silently punch the air.

"Why?" asked Gayle.

"I don't know if I have a sister or not."

"Objection, your Honour." Martindale was on his feet in an instant. "Mr Effron has two sisters, Samantha Dettmer and Michelle Davis, as he well knows."

Danny turned in his seat.

"Your honour, may I finish?"

"Yes." Rolling waved Martindale back to his seat.

"I'm adopted, as is Samantha. Michelle Davis is the Effron's biological daughter. We are only related through the adoption. Biologically we are not related." He paused. .

"When Sam confronted Mary and Bob Effron about the affair between Chris Dettmer and Michelle Davis they disowned us. You can see by where they have chosen to sit, who they are supporting in this divorce, their daughter's lover. "

"If they consider us to be no longer part of their family then I am no longer their son. By logic I cannot be a brother to either Michelle or Samantha."

Gayle waited as a snap conversation between Martindale and his client filled the room.

"Your Honour, if the opposite council requires a recess so that he can speak with his client then would he ask for it or hold down the noise."

Martindale coloured at the rebuke.

"Daniel, have you slept with Samantha Dettmer and Michelle Davis?"

"Yes."

Gayle spoke to Martindale, "Your witness."

Martindale jumped to his feet.

"So you admit to sleeping with Samantha Dettmer."

"Objection, your Honour. Was there a question in there? I seemed to have missed it if there was."

"Daniel..."

"Objection, Council does not know the witness, so will refer to the witness without familiarity."

Gayle was pushing Martindale's buttons.

"Mr Effron, have you slept with Samantha Dettmer."

"Yes."

Martindale walked confidently back to his seat. He had what he wanted. "I have no more questions."

Gayle waited.

"Daniel, please explain to the court when you started sleeping with Samantha." Gayle was carefully setting her questions. She had been tipped off that Martindale was planning on an offensive strategy making out that Samantha was the adulterer.

"I've been sleeping with Sam since I was two years old. Mary Effron discovered that I never had nightmares when I was with Sam so she had my mattress put in her room."

"Have you slept with Michelle Effron?"

"No."

"Have you slept with Michelle Davis?"

"Yes."

"Objection!"

"When did you last sleep with Michelle Davis?" asked Gayle, dismissing the objection out of hand. She wanted momentum.

"She came to my room the night before Chris Dettmer walked out of Sam." Martindale dropped into his seat. "We were both staying the night at the Dettmer house."

A strange thought crossed his mind. Michelle had come to his room after hearing what she thought were Chris and Sam fucking in the room next door. She hadn't been cold. She wanted to escape.

"Is it true that Michelle Davis asked you to move into her apartment with her?"

Danny nodded. "Yes, we were sitting around the kitchen table when she asked me to move in with her."

"You said we, could you state who was present?"

"In the room were Samantha, Chris Dettmer, Michelle Davis, Mary and Bob Effron and me."

"There is only the one bed at Michelle's place, is that correct?"

"Yes." Gayle returned to her seat to collect her legal pad.

"You now share a house with Samantha, is that correct?"

"Yes. It made sense to get a place together."

"Is that the only reason?"Danny looked at Samantha.

"No, Sam is my only family."

Gayle moved across the courtroom. "How can she be family when you have already stated that you don't have a sister?"

"The day that we were disowned by the Effrons we swore an oath to be there for each other."

"An oath? Is that like a marriage oath?"

"No. Marriage is a legal oath that some don't take seriously. We made an oath to each other." Sam felt tears in her eye as she recollected the conversation with the psychologist.

"When did you first learn about the marriage break up between the Dettmers?"

"Sam and I went to collect my new truck. She was quiet; too quiet. When I asked her what was wrong she told me that Chris had told her that he had met someone else and wanted a divorce. Sam then told me that he was leaving her and Jessica after the Holidays so that he could be with his lover."

"When did you next see Chris Dettmer?"

"One hour later. He was waiting at the house when we returned."

"Would you tell the court about the two conversations you had with Chris Dettmer?"

"The first conversation occurred before we entered the house. I told him that if he had a gift for Jessica then I would meet up with him and I would make sure that she would get it."

"What was his response?"

"To quote him, he said the bitch wanted a kid; she can keep it." Gayle waited. She was using her courtroom skills to their maximum.

"Could you tell the court about the other conversation?"

"That took place inside the house. He had just come down stairs with his bags. I asked him to leave his keys on the hall table. He threw the key at me."

"Would you repeat what he said to you before leaving the house?"

"He told me that Mikey was a better fuck." There was an audible gasp in the court room. He didn't need to look across the court to know that it had been Michelle.

"Is that the moment that you learned of the affair between Chris Dettmer and Michelle Davis?"

Danny didn't answer immediately.

"Danny?" Gayle watched him closely.

"No," he answered, taking Gayle by surprise. He looked directly at Sam. "I'm sorry; I should have realised what was going on sooner."

Gayle appeared calm. "Please explain to the court when you realised that they were having an affair."

"The night I got back into town I called on Mouse...I mean Michelle Davis. It was late. She wasn't home so I was thinking of heading back to my hotel when a cab pulled up. It was Michelle. I was waiting on the front porch. She saw me and called me Chris."

"Then there was the time we were at the Mall. One of her work colleagues approached us and asked if I was the guy that she had told them all about. Michelle shushed her work colleague before she could say more."

"Danny, you said early that you just got back into town. When did you last see your family before the Christmas just past?"

"I've missed the arrival of Jessica and I missed Michelle Davis's wedding and subsequent divorce."

"So this time was very important to you."

"Yes, though it turns out to be something very different."

"I have no more questions for this witness."

Martindale started to rise.

"No questions your Honour."

"You may step down," said Rollin. "It's also good to see you again Officer Effron."

"Likewise, Your Honour."

Rollins banged her gavel. "I'd like to see both Councils in my chambers. Court is in recess."

Danny returned to his seat. Sam turned around in her chair. They spoke quietly.

"Don't you dare say that you are sorry for not realising that they were cheating on us. " Danny was shocked at the use of the word us. "I've been living with him for months and didn't know until he told me."

They sat together. Danny was sitting just behind Sam. Across the court Chris was talking with Michelle and Mary and Bob. Neither Danny nor Sam cast a single glance their way.

"What do you think is going on in there?"

Danny looked up on hearing a door open. He nodded for Sam to look over her shoulder. Gayle and Martindale had re-entered the court. Danny saw the stern look on Gayle's face.

"What's going on?" asked Sam before Gayle had a chance to take her seat. Gayle was looking at Danny.

"You didn't tell me that you knew Judge Rolling."

"I still can't," he answered. Gayle understood.

Rolling looked at Gayle.

"Call your next witness Ms Demmy."

"We retain the right to recall our witness before summation, Your Honour." Danny could see that Gayle had surprised even Rolling. "We rest our case."

"In that case, call you first witness Mr Martindale."

"We call Chris Davis to the stand."

Danny watched Gayle demeanour as Martindale went through a carefully rehearsed witness questioning. During the questioning she made notes on the legal pad set out on her knee. Martindale was making him out to be the injured party.

"Mr Dettmer, do you deny having an affair with Michelle Davis?"

He shook his head.

"No. I didn't plan to fall in love with Mikey but these things happen."

"Then why are you fighting this petition in court?"

"My wife wants an equal division of the house. The house is in my name. The mortgage payments were paid from my account."

"But you were the one who left the house."

"I was told to pack my belongings and leave by Danny Effron." Martindale turned and walked back to his seat.

"One more question. Did you feel threatened by Mr Effron?"

"Yes, I did."

Gayle remained seated.

"Mr Dettmer, when did your affair with Ms Davis start?"

"November 2009."

"So, the two of you have attended three family Christmases at Mary and Bob Effrons and countless other family occasions since that time."

"Objection, Your Honour; relevance."

"Withdrawn, Your Honour." Gayle had made her point.

"Was Michelle Davis married at the time your affair started?"

"Yes."

"You were in fact the reason why she was divorced by her husband on grounds of adultery?"

"I said yes."

"Did you inform Samantha Dettmer that you were planning on leaving her so that you could be with your lover?"

"Objection, Your Honour."

"Does Council want me to call her a slut?" Gayle's expression was stone faced.

"Objection is overruled. Ms Demmy I don't want to hear that word in my court again." Gayle nodded.

"I apologise to the court."

"Do you want me to repeat the question Mr Dettmer?" Gayle asked faultlessly.

"No. It is true. I did tell Sam that I would be leaving after Christmas." Gayle moved to her feet. Danny saw the change in her body language.

"You stated earlier that the house was in your name, correct?"

"Yes."

"Is it not true that the mortgage was taken out through your employer and that it was proviso that the house is in your name only."

"Yes," Dettmer answered.

"You also stated that the mortgage payments were made through your account, correct."

"That's correct."

"Is it not correct that the money for half on the monthly payment was paid into that account by my client?"

"We used that money for all the joint household bills," Dettmer answered.

Danny felt Martindale groan.

"I'm done with this witness."

Martindale moved swiftly to recover. Gayle didn't challenge any of the questions.

"We call Bob Effron to the stand."

Martindale continued the carefully rehearsed questioning. He was aiming to paint Danny as violent.

"Bob, werdid you feel threatened by your son, Daniel." Gayle didn't object to Danny being referred to as Bob's son. She didn't need to.

"Yes, it was the night that Chris left the house. We, that is Mary my wife and my daughter, brought Jessica home. When we arrived Sam came to take Jessica from us and we waited for her to return. Michelle went to the kitchen to talk with Daniel. She was very upset by what went on and ran out of the house. We then went into the kitchen to confront Daniel. It was in the kitchen that he threatened me."

"Your witness."

Gayle was instantly on her feet.

"So you wnet to confront daniel?"

"I..."

Gayle wasn;t about to wait.

"This incident when you felt threatened occurred in the kitchen correct?"

"Yes."

"The conversation became quite heated, correct?"

Bob nodded. "Please answer yes or no for the court."

"Yes."

"Did you feel protective for your wife?"

"Yes."

"So, you took a step to protect her."

"I don't remember."

"But you do remember being threatened?" asked Gayle, maintaining the intensity.

"Yes."

"Do you remember what Daniel actually said to you?"

"He said don't take me on and that he would arrest me for assault on a police officer."

"So you did, in fact, threaten Daniel and Samantha first?"

"Objection. Already asked and answered."

"It's funny how the witness can remember what was said but does not recall stepping forward. It sounds very convenient. Withdrawn."

"Is Daniel Effron a police officer?"

"Yes."

"So you did in fact threaten a police officer." Bob didn't answer.

Gayle moved away.

"Did your wife tell Samantha and Daniel that Mr Dettmer and your daughter would be staying at your house whilst during the divorce?"

"Yes."

"So, you disowned them."

"No, we never said that."

"But you did tell Daniel and Samantha that you put a roof over their heads."

"I'm not sure."

"Would loving parents say that to a son and daughter?"

Bob was silent.

"I'm done with this witness."

Martindale started to rise. "No re-cross your Honour. We call Mary Effron to the witness stand."

Mary Effron sat upright on the witness stand.

"Mrs Effron, do you love your children?"

"Yes, I don't like them very much at times." Martindale laughed. It sounded false to Danny.

"You gave your love bringing Samantha and Daniel into your family, isn't that so?"

"We gave them what we gave to Michelle."

"Then, can you explain Daniel Effron's statement that you and your husband disowned both him and Samantha. "

"The thing about putting a roof over their heads is true. But we gave them more. We gave them love. We gave them hope."

"Did you turn your back on them?"

"Michelle came to us and told us about the affair. What were we supposed to do? Turn our backs on her."

"No," Martindale answered.

"Your witness."

Gayle paused. She turned and looked over her shoulder. Danny shook his head.

"No questions Your Honour."

Rolling looked across the court. "You may step down."

"Call your next witness Council."

"We rest Your Honour."

Rolling banged her gavel. "I'd like to see Council in my chambers." Gayle and Martindale were gone for seven minutes.

"Anyway as a result of Daniel's testimony Judge Rolling told Martindale to speak with Chris. She is of the mind to give you sole custody of Jessica."

"I accept."

"That's not all. She is also of the mind to split the house 50/50."

"He can have the house. I just don't want him to have any access to Jessica."

"Do you want me to make a deal?"

"Yes."

Danny just let Sam be. She had been quiet since leaving the court room. The ride home was made in total silence. The case had come to a premature end. Dettmer had finally agreed to Sam's conditions and had given up all rights to Jessica. Home he had left her alone. Sam had taken Jessica upstairs. He had returned several minutes later to stand at the foot of the stairs. He could hear Sam singing a soft lullaby to Jessica.

12