The Doppelganger Ch. 04

Story Info
Todd & Marty discuss their past.
2.6k words
5
5.8k
1
0

Part 4 of the 4 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 08/03/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

AUTHOR'S NOTE: This is the love story of Marty and Todd. It also includes several other characters as well as their storylines. This story will be submitted in several parts and is based off the hit soap One Life to Live, yet the "history" has been changed somewhat to suit the purposes of this story. Not all the parts of this story will contain erotic sex scenes as there is a plot. First and foremost, this story is a romance/drama, not a sex story.

Also, I'd like to note that I do not own ABC's One Life to Live or the characters and I will NOT be receiving any payment whatsoever for writing this story. It is intended for entertainment purposes only.

This story takes place BEFORE Marty attacked and killed her psychiatrist, stabbed Kelly, and pushed Natalie from the roof at Angel Square. In this story, those events will not happen. This is my take on the two-Todds story including Marty and with an eerie or supernatural twist. Hope you enjoy the story...

~*o*~

As Todd and Marty drove away from Llanview via Todd's "borrowed" car, he couldn't help the questions which bombarded him. Everything Marty had said the night before went rushing through his mind like a blazing inferno and for once in his life he had no choice but to admit to himself that he and Marty had unfinished business. They were two people still tortured by their tragic past and Marty had been right, they did need to face everything and deal with it head-on, so that they could finally heal and move past it.

"Marty, we need to talk," said Todd softly, almost hesitantly.

Marty glanced over at Todd as though she knew that this was coming. The questions. She had dropped a bomb on him last night. Of course he would have questions. She didn't mind to give him answers, although her heart had been encased in ice for so very long, stiff, silent, and frozen; and with every word that moved past her lips, it had began to thaw, now suseptable to the blinding pain she had kept hidden for almost two decades.

"It's okay, Todd. I am ready to talk... I need to talk," she answered, her voice just barely audible.

"Tell me about the baby," Todd encouraged, trying to watch the road when all he really wanted to do was hold his gaze on Marty.

"The Spring Fling happened on May 9th. And that summer, you had been sentenced to Statesville Prison. Not long after, I started... becoming sick. I had been taking my medication and following the doctor's orders, yet no matter what I did, I couldn't seem to get better. I started losing weight, and I was unable to keep food down, so I went to Larry for some answers. I was sure he'd say it was my Lupus, give me some more medication, and I'd end up perfectly fine ... but that's not what happened. He did some tests... and told me I was pregnant."

"Pregnant..." she said with a tiny laugh. "With my messed-up life, that's exactly what I didn't want to be. Immediately I thought it had happened from that horrible night, the night you and your frat buddies tied me to a bed and took turns raping me, and had that been the case, I would have terminated my pregnancy that very day without a second thought."

Marty took a deep breath, struggling with the intense emotions which gradually resurfaced as they were forever coupled with those long-ago memories. "But Larry insisted on an ultrasound and come to find out, I was too far along. I had been feeling so sick and preoccupied with the rape for so long, I had no awareness that I was even pregnant. But by then, I was already in the second trimester."

"There was no doubt about it, Todd. The baby was yours because there was no one else I had been with during the three months prior to the Spring Fling. I begged Larry to help me. I didn't want anyone to know. I had already been through so much. My health was fragile, and I couldn't deal with the constant stares and whispers should anyone find out I was expecting a child I had conceived with the man - the man who had... raped me," she said softly.

"With Larry's help, I managed to keep my pregnancy a secret. I kept to myself most the time, and nobody seemed to question it. I guess everyone thought I was entitled to some isolation, after all I had been through. I thought I was going to get away with it, that no one was going to find out... " Marty said as she struggled to control the anxiety brought on from the raw memories being awakened. "Probably no one would have, but I had an accident... and Megan found me lying at the bottom of the steps..."

"When I came to, I was bleeding and in so much pain. Megan was there, holding my hand as they took me away in the ambulance. I just kept crying, 'Please, please let my baby be okay.' I knew it was too soon. I knew that if I gave birth then, there would be no hope... The pain was so intense, so horrible... like nothing I have ever experienced before. When I got to the hospital, I begged Larry, 'Do whatever you have to do, but please... just save my baby.' Larry promised he would do all that he could, but despite all of his efforts, my water had broken and there was no way he could stop the contractions. The baby was coming and I was only 6 months along..."

Glancing at Marty as he drove, Todd looked horrified. The pain she went through struck him deep inside like a dagger ripping through his heart. "My God, Marty... the hell you must have gone through..." he spoke. "I should have been there..."

"You were in prison, remember?" Marty reminded as she drew in a ragged breath. At that moment when she had gone into premature labor, she had never felt so alone. Her parents were dead, her aunt was in Ireland, and the man she had loved during the time of the baby's conception was now in prison for having raped her.

"I had Megan there... and Larry didn't leave my side. It all happened so fast. All I can remember is blinding pain... and fear. I didn't think I'd survive something so entirely awful, but I did. I survived but our baby didn't..."

"I barely made it to the hospital and right when I got there, the baby was born. I begged Larry to let me see her... to let me hold her. I knew she wasn't going to make it, and I wanted to tell her good bye. I held her in my arms. She was so tiny and beautiful. I cuddled her and told her I loved her, and then a few moments later, she took her last labored breaths. Sh-she died," Marty said as hot tears stung at her eyes. "I guess after that, I sort of lost it. I just remember sobbing and screaming and begging Larry to do something, anything to make my little girl better... but he couldn't..."

"They practically had to pry her from my arms. I didn't want to let her go," Marty said in a soft little whimper. "Megan held me and we both cried. I cried until there were no tears left. And in that moment of clarity, I became frozen. I encased my heart in the thickest ice, because it was the only way I could stop the horrendous agony. My baby, our little girl was gone..."

"And I didn't want to think of it. I absolutely refused to discuss it, because I thought that was how I could protect myself. If I could pretend or convince myself it never happened, I could sheild myself of my own sorrow. Now I realize I was wrong. It wasn't until the loss of my baby with John that those memories I had kept frozen for so long came rushing back..."

For a moment Todd was speechless, not knowing what to say. His eyes stung with unshed tears, yet he had no clue what he could possibly say or do to comfort Marty. "I'm so sorry, Marty. So sorry," he heard himself speak, thinking those words sounded meaningless and lame. How could an apology now possibly give her any type of solace after the unbelievable suffering she had gone through?

Marty brushed away her stinging tears, looking at Todd. She too was at a loss for words. A thousand disjointed memories of that long-ago tragedy assaulted her as she struggled to take control of her raw emotions. "It's okay now..." she finally spoke. "It was a long time ago... and I made it through it, I survived. And today, we have other worries, don't we, Todd?"

Todd realized Marty was closing the door on that subject, at least for now. He let out a long, heavy sigh. "That's right we do..." he responded. "Just one more question. What was her name? What name did you give to our little girl?"

"Her name was Megan. She's buried beside Larry and Meredith's baby daughter," replied Marty. "Please, Todd. I can't talk about this right now. It's just too painful. And I've held it all inside for so long. Can't we talk about something... anything but this?"

"Alright, let's talk about what are plans are for today then," spoke Todd as they pulled up at a hardware store within a small town near Llanview. "We'll go in and get everything we need to bug the phone in my office. Then I suggest we get something decent to eat. We'll have lunch, then head back to Llanview. I want to see my kids, make sure everyone is okay. And I'd like to see Hope as well..."

"Todd, we have to be careful. If he catches us... well, if he does, I don't think it's gonna be good," Marty said nervously as they got ready to exit the car.

"HE better stay out of my way," Todd said with gritted teeth. "And if he touches you or does anything to harm anyone I love, I will kill him with my bare hands."

Marty's eyes widened, hearing Todd's words. She more than anyone knew that Todd would take whatever measures necessary to keep his family safe. She also couldn't help but notice that Todd had put her first in his statement, and she found herself suddenly wondering, *What exactly does that mean?*

"Todd, don't do something stupid," Marty warned, flashing him a look of almost-annoyance.

Todd said nothing as they went into the hardware store. A few minutes later, he paid for the necessary equipment he'd need to implant an audio surveillance device inside the telephone at The Sun. After they got the shopping out of the way, Todd drove them to a little drive-in restaurant across town. "I'll have a pizza burger, fries and an extra-large chocolate shake," said Todd as he placed his order.

"I thought you said we were having REAL food now," Marty said, gazing over at Todd while rolling her eyes.

Todd smirked at her. "Order a salad then if you want, Marty. No one's stopping you," he responded.

"I'll have a taco salad and a large Ocean water," Marty finally ordered as she did her best to curb the sudden urge to smack Todd. He continued to smirk, gazing at her in the short distance in between the seats of the car.

While they waited for their food, they made light conversation as Marty caught him up to speed about everything that had been going on in Llanview during his absense. He was interested in knowing about what had been going on with Jessica, his sister, Vicki, and everyone else he had been separated from for so very long. He had missed so much, and he didn't like it at all. He blamed the imposter as Marty continued to tell him everything he had missed. Why had that man stolen his life? And the thought of that ... that imposter putting his hands on Marty, making love to her, it made Todd want to pulverize the guy.

After their lunch, the returned to Llanview, and Todd headed straight over to Dorian's. "Be careful, Todd. All we need is for us to get caught. I'll end up in St. Anne's... and who knows what they'd do if anyone saw you..." Marty warned.

After parking the car, they approached the house on foot as memories started flooding back for both of them. "Remember the night you brought me here, and we...?" Todd started as he and Marty hid in the shrubbery out back by the pool.

"Shhhh..." Marty said in a whisper, softly pressing a finger to his lips. At that moment, someone opened the sliding doors out back, coming out to the pool. Todd's heart contracted, feeling Marty's touch upon his lips, his skin elecrified at her tender touch. For a second, he forgot all about why they were here, but then they heard voices.

"Let's play in the pool!" a little boy's voice called out. Todd looked over through the tangled leaves of the hedge, seeing Sam walk outside with his sisters.

"Dani?" Todd said in a soft gasp. "Is that my daughter?"

Todd continued to gaze at the teenage girl who was the perfect blend of himself and Tea. Immediately he wanted to go to her and introduce himself as her father and get to know her, but Marty held him back. She had grab him by his arm to keep him from going to his daughters. "Todd, please... don't get us both caught," she implored him.

Todd let out a frustrated groan, looking at Marty as he knew she was right. "Okay, we'll just listen," he said softly with reluctance.

Sam got into the pool, playing with a giant multi-colored beach ball as his sisters stood near the edge of the water. "What's going on with Dad and Jack?" Dani asked Starr.

"I don't know, but it isn't good. I heard them fighting this morning. Dad came to pick up Jack for work, and as usual Jack wasn't ready. Dad yelled at him and called him a 'little pain in the ass,'" Starr explained. "I know Jack has been frustrating... but Dad is out of control. Treating Jack that way isn't going to help the situation."

"No kidding," Dani agreed. "Dad yelled at Mom this morning, too. Something's wrong with him, Starr. Sometimes he scares me..."

As they listened to Starr and Danielle talking, Marty could hear Todd's breathing increase. Looking into his face, Marty saw a furious storm brewing in his eyes. "Come on, Todd," Marty urged. "We better go now." It was crucial she got him out of here now, before he did something they'd both regret.

"But I haven't seen Hope yet," Todd said regretfully as Marty tugged on his elbow as though to drag him away.

"I miss her too, Todd, but we gotta stay hidden," Marty reminded. "Please..."

Todd looked down into Marty's face, knowing they had been here long enough. "I want to go check on Tea next," he said as they were carefully making their way back to the car without being seen.

"Now isn't the time, Todd," Marty insisted as the two them climbed into the car. "You have a tapping device to get ready back in the motel room, remember?"

Todd nodded, although he didn't like it. Not one bit. That asshole had overtaken his life... and very soon, he wanted to take everything back. Everything that had once been his, Todd Manning wanted to reclaim.