The Entity Pt. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JPMMURPHY
JPMMURPHY
29 Followers

...the fire continues to burn here at the Waverly Hills Clinic in Los Angeles. Interestingly, the very clinic democratic presidential hopeful, Arthur Wright, visited less than a week ago.

One neighbor, awakened by the helicopter, says he watched from his kitchen window as the craft lowered onto the roof of the building, when a big explosion came up from below. He insists the helicopter didn't blow up...

*****

Linda kicked the charred wood and looked around. She knew no bodies had been found on this floor, or at least what was left of it, but she thought there might be something. Anything that would give them a clue about, Michael.

The twin Cray's in the basement were a total loss just like everything else in the building. The forensic team from ICB was pulling the storage units to see what they could find in their lab.

The fire marshal was convinced it was arson. ATF people were all over the place scraping soot samples off different surfaces, closing them up in small sample bags, and marking their location on the white label area with red markers.

Air and transportation people were waiting on the ground to start pulling parts of the Bell helicopter out of the building. Reconstruction would be done at an abandoned air force hanger to the east.

LAPD was consigned to the perimeter keeping the media and rubber-neckers out.

"What's this?"

Linda turned and saw Tammy stooped over what looked like a cracked piece of marble, un-burnt wood beneath it. Pushing her hand under the marble, she finally snagged the silver object that had caught her attention.

Linda looked at it as Tammy turned it over and finally said, "Camera. It used to be a digital camera." Taking it from Tammy, she dropped it into a black plastic bag she carried for any electronic evidence they might find.

Lifting the marble with the toe of her hiking boot, she spied something else. Kicking the broken stone to the side she stooped and picked up the small, square, metal box. Flipping it open, Tammy watched as she quickly flipped it shut and stuffed it into her pants pocket, instead of an evidence bag.

*****

It was after two in the morning when the Captain assembled the electronic forensic people in the ready room along with Tom, Linda, Tammy, and a few other hangers on.

"Okay, people. Let's see what we have." Signaling to someone in the back, the lights dimmed and a projection from some forensic guy's laptop lit up the whiteboard at the front of the room.

Tom took the podium and started explaining as bits and pieces of information flashed on the screen.

"Apparently the Cray storage units were formatted and wiped before the explosion. This in itself says a lot. Why would you format and wipe your information storage center?

"We did find a small server in one of the apartments in the residence area where the staff lived."

Suddenly lines of code started scrolling across the screen.

"Programmer notes found correspond with notes sent to us by the Entity several days ago. This room was determined to belong to Gerald, probably a principle programmer. His body was found in the rubble of his room.

"We also recovered a digital camera. The camera itself was a melt down but we were able to recover one photo from the memory card."

The color photo of a man, taken at close range, as if he'd tried to take a self portrait at arms length, or the camera had gone off accidentally, came up on the white board.

The shot was blurry, just the neck and head, of a black haired man. His hair was mussed and he was smiling. You couldn't tell the color of his eyes due to severe redeye from the flash.

Linda studied the photo intently, knowing she'd seen him before.

"That's it. We will be picking up on this Monday."

"Okay, people," the Captain barked, "That's it. And don't forget, we all have an appointment at City Hall at five later today when Mayor Rodriguez will be recognizing one of our own."

The room broke into a small round of applause before everyone started clearing out.

"Woo! Spalding! I want to see both of you in my office. Now!"

Tom followed them in carrying a folded laptop. Pointing at the two chairs, the Captain took the computer, flipped it open and pressed a few keys.

"I didn't want to show this in the ready room with everyone else present. You'll understand why in a minute."

Turning the machine around, Tammy gasped when she saw herself naked on an antique wooden bed smiling for the camera. Raising her hand as if to touch the image she said, "But how?"

Linda just stared as Tom reached over and hit the space bar, the next photo coming up.

There were five in all. Tom said, "Pay attention to this last one, Linda." Hitting the space bar, a close-up of a woman's hand came up centered on a diamond ring resting firmly on her ring finger. Linda gasped when she saw the stone. Holding her own hand up in front of the screen she finally said, "I don't believe it."

"Yeah. Tom, noticed the ring. He'd seen you wearing one just like it."

"But who is she?" Tammy finally managed.

Flipping back through the pictures, Tom said, "Well, if you look closely, you'll notice she's not as old as you. I put her about five or six years younger. Also, the freckle pattern isn't the same." Flipping to the next, he continued, "But the hair color is identical. Facial features are the same. Even hand size and shape is the same."

"But who the hell is she?" Tammy reiterated.

"Well," Tom began, "we don't know exactly who she is, but I can guarantee she's related to you."

"But that can't be. I'm the last of the redheads in the family. All my cousins are brunettes."

"Well, here's one more thing." Tom flipped forward to another picture they hadn't seen. An ear appeared in close-up. Tom walked around and pulled Tammy's hair back on one side. "This is in no way conclusive, but if you look at the shape and form of the ear, Linda, and look at Tammy's its almost identical.

"None of this is conclusive but the FBI would like to take a DNA swab to check against the bodies found at the scene."

Tammy just looked from one to the other and finally said, "Sure."

*****

Mayor Rodriguez beamed as he handed the small, open case to Linda. "Once again, San Francisco wants to thank the ICB, and more specifically you, Linda Woo, for your courage and perseverance in saving one of the city's citizens, saving a visitor to our fair town, and solving one of the most gruesome crimes we've had in a long time."

A large crowd was gathered on the steps, and sidewalk in front of City Hall. Both local and national TV had camera crews and reporters on hand and Tammy was the first to start clapping. Bringing her fingers up, she whistled like a longshoreman and whooped. Raising a fist she hollered, "That's my girl!"

Linda thanked the city and pointed out that she had only been doing her job. Anyone else would have done the same.

Finally finished with the handshakes and the press, Linda was able to make her way through the crowd and found Tammy sitting on a park bench across the street.

"I wanna see it!"

Handing the box over, Linda said it was all bullshit but blushed when Tammy said, "Way to go girl!"

"Can we get out of here now? My side is starting to hurt again."

"Sure. Do you want to stay home tonight? We can beg off with your parents and I can kiss it and make it all better."

Linda laughed, "I'm glad to see you've overcome your concerns about, well, you know."

Tammy grabbed her upper arm and leaned in to kiss her cheek and whispered, "Well, that's just it. I think we need to investigate, make sure it hasn't returned or anything."

"Hey, Slick! Congrats!" Tom and Mary were all smiles.

"Hey, Tom. Mary, this is, Tammy Spalding. Tammy, this is Tom's wife, Mary." They shook hands and everyone just stood around for a minute talking about the ceremony.

Sliding her hand around Tammy's waist, Linda said, "Hey, Mary, my parents are having a small celebration tonight. Food, wine and dancing. You and Tom want to come along?"

"Sure! I haven't been able to get him out of the house for over a year..." her voice trailed off when she realized the last time they'd gone out dancing, it had been with Michael and Linda.

"Great! We'll see you there. Our seating is at 9:30 in the wine cellar. My father has hired a piano and singer. Oh, and its long dress and dark suit. Masa's on Nob Hill. Can you still make it?"

"Sure we can. We'll see you there."

*****

They'd called Allessandra from the airport before leaving Los Angeles to see how she was doing. Fine, she'd said, but didn't sound convincing. Tammy invited her to the celebration dinner and she declined. "I think I need to pay penance a while longer."

"And what are you doing? I mean, are you going to go back to work?"

There'd been a long silence, then, "Well, I can't just mope around the house. But I'm thinking a dress maker's shop might be better. Maybe I can pick up some of the Hollywood trade."

"Hey, that sounds great! Come to think of it, do you feel like doing a rush job?"

Linda and Tammy now stood on the front stoop of the building where Linda lived in Allessandra's creations. Her father had been ready with the camera and demanded they pose.

Linda wore a straight cut, black lace on black satin, full length gown with small silver beads of different sizes sewn throughout the fabric. High neck and back, to keep her bruises and elastic wrap under cover. Black satin heels and a small black beaded purse completed the look.

Tammy stood beside her in an emerald green lace on matching satin, the same color as her eyes. It was Full length with small silver beads that matched Linda's and a slit up one side to her hip. Unlike Linda's dress, the front and back plunged almost to the point of indecency. Matching emerald green satin heels and a small matching bag completed the outfit.

"You look like such a slut," Linda teased as another picture was taken.

Tammy leaned in and whispered, "You look ravishing."

"Is that a promise?"

Linda's shiny black hair was pulled up tight into a knot, two small, red enamel sticks poking through at odd angles holding it on top of her head. Tammy's Ferrari red locks flowed down the bare skin of her back in a wide French braid.

Looking through the lens, Mr. Woo tightened up the shot framing their head and shoulders and snapped again. "Come on you two. I thought you were friends."

With that, they both smiled and Linda hooked her arm around Tammy, pulling her close. Another snap and Mr. Woo said, "That's it? People get friendlier than that on the trolley cars."

Linda admonished, "Dad!" and laughed into the camera, just as Tammy turned, leaned in closing her eyes and left very noticeable red lip marks on Linda's cheek. Snap!

"Perfect!"

The meal was wonderful. A six serving sampler of the best Masa's chef's could offer. A piano played and a lithe, curly headed brunette, sang requests, mostly for Mr. and Mrs. Woo.

"I have a gift for you."

Looking across the table Tammy smiled in anticipation. Setting a thin, metal box with Macy's in small gold letters on the top.

Tammy lifted the delicate bangle bracelet from the box and turned it in her fingers. Small round and baguette cut diamonds caught the candle light.

"Macy's was just around the corner from the hotel in Chicago," Linda hesitated, "You were mad when you left and I wanted to say I was sorry."

Tammy slipped it on her wrist and held her hand up to admire it. Reaching across the table, her hand found Linda's and nothing was said.

Several bottles of wine had been sampled from the 900 bottle wine cellar and the mood was warm and relaxing.

The Woo's had taken several spins on the small parquet dance floor, Tom and Mary, and Ben and his latest, as well. Ben finally pulled a protesting Tammy to the dance floor and they tried to do a Charleston to an old Glen Miller tune. It ended in more laughs than dancing. Tom drug Linda to the floor as well and tried a samba, which eventually turned into a snake dance, the entire table falling in to swing their hips.

Linda and Tammy chatted with everyone but each other, however, warm smiles and furtive glances flowed freely.

Finally, the candles were burning low and the waiters were emptying the last of the wine into everyone's glasses when Linda went up and whispered to the singer. She seemed to insist a little on some point before stepping back to the table, standing beside Tammy's chair, hand out in invitation.

Tammy blushed when she looked around the table to find they were the center of attention. Finally, a waiter stepped to her chair and stood, ready to pull it out. Taking Linda's hand, she followed her to the dance floor. The music started and there was a quick moment of confusion as they decided how their hands should go. Their bodies swayed gently as the singer started.

I've grown accustomed to her face
She almost makes the day begin
I've grown accustomed to the tune
she whistles night and noon
Her smiles, her frowns, her ups, her downs


Tammy leaned in and rested her head gently against the side of Linda's as they started to relax and enjoy the moment.

Are second nature to me now
Like breathing out and breathing in
I was serenely independent and content before we met
Surely I could always be that way again and yet
I've grown accustomed to her looks,
Accustomed to her voice
Accustomed to her face


Linda's hand was nestled between Tammy's braid and her bare back, her fingers tracing down Tammy's spine where they slipped into the small drape of material at the small of Tammy's back while they swayed.

Tammy sighed and pulled her closer, losing track of the lyrics to the second verse as she leaned close to Linda's ear and whispered what she'd asked Ben about at the meal that seemed so far away now, "Ai shiteru."

Linda pulled back, smiling and kissed Tammy softly, "I love you too, Tam."

*****

It had been two weeks. To Tammy, it had been two glorious weeks as she and Linda explored San Francisco, and each other. Pier 39 had become their favorite hangout as they enjoyed the sea lions and street performers.

They'd seen the exotic birds on telegraph hill and rode the trolley cars. All in one day. They'd spent two days in China Town, sampling the food and buying silk.

A morning at north beach sipping espresso and eating Italian pastry, then the afternoon walking the streets of Haight-Ashbury.

They'd fallen into a comfortable routine at Linda's place and avoided discussing what would happen to them. The plane ticket that sat on Linda's dresser was not talked about. They knew that Tammy had to go back eventually.

*****

ICB forensics had found more than they expected, but not enough to put all the pieces together. They were left with tantalizing questions, and huge chunks of computer code that wouldn't run.

FBI forensics had been shocking as Linda and Tammy sat in the office with the two agents and listened as autopsy reports and DNA tests were explained.

"Do you know why the building exploded?" Linda asked.

"We believe so. There was a fireplace in an apartment on the fourth floor. It had gas logs. The gas appears to have been left open for some time with no flame, letting the entire fourth floor fill with gas. A spark, probably something electric, finally set it off. It literally blew the top off the building. The fire spread quickly and eventually, the oxygen tanks exploded, spreading the damage."

One of the agents shuffled papers and said, "The DNA results are very interesting."

Walking to an overhead projector, he slid something onto it and flipped the on switch. A series of names and lines started at the top and spread down.

"We discovered that the two patients were related. They were found in separate patient rooms. We also got a court order to exhume a body buried on an estate in Los Angeles," the agent hesitated and seemed to fix on Tammy, "One of the bodies, the male, approximately thirty two, is an exact match for a body that was buried over seventy years ago."

Using his finger, the agent pointed at a name at the top of the projection, "Everything indicates we found the thirty two year old remains of this man, Thomas Lee Miller, in a patient bed at the clinic."

Tammy just stared.

"But how can that be?" Linda finally asked.

"Again, we're not sure, but we think he was cloned. We also think the other body, a twenty year old female, was his daughter."

Moving his finger, he pointed at another name, Theodora Elizabeth Miller, and continued.

"Through our investigation, we've confirmed with the security staff of Arthur Wright, the democratic candidate that paid a visit to the Clinic a week before the explosion, that he met someone claiming to be Theodora Elizabeth Miller – great-great-granddaughter to the woman on this chart. When shown one of the pictures recovered from the digital camera, they confirmed it was the same person."

"So the Miller family is cloning their relatives?"

"Not quite," the agent said, clearing his throat before continuing, "Theodora Elizabeth never married. She never had children, and until recently, was thought to be the end of the line for the Miller gene pool," turning to Tammy again, he continued, "However, recent documents and research tell us there is one person left that is directly related to Thomas Lee and Theodora. That would be a niece, three generations removed. That would be you, Miss Spalding."

It took a beat for the information to register, "What? I'm related to these people?"

"We did the DNA and have dug up documents in public records in Chicago. You are the last direct descendent."

Turning off the projector, the agent bunched his papers together and slid them into a folder, "Well, we've taken it one step further and confirmed it by DNA. Considering that, Miss Spalding, you have an appointment in an hour at the law offices of Lindsay, Lindsay and Bartholomew."

*****

"Who are these crazy people? I mean, cloning the dead and blowing up a building, killing everyone inside?" Tammy took a sip of water from the cut crystal glass and looked around the dark wood paneled meeting room of Lindsay, Lindsay and Bartholomew.

Linda sat beside her, a hand playing over Tammy's arm, while they waited.

A man in his forties walked in and said, "Yes, let's get started. I'm Arthur Lindsay, my firm represents the estate of Theodora Elizabeth Miller," looking at Tammy he continued, "And you must be Tammy Spalding."

They shook hands and Tammy introduced Linda.

"Good. So, we were all quite surprised to learn of your existence," Tammy felt like a bug under a microscope being analyzed, "The entire Miller estate had been slated for different charities. Having found you, the entire estate which includes several property holdings, stock portfolios, more than twenty six companies around the world," Arthur paused for effect, "and a whole lot of money, goes to you."

Tammy was dumb struck, her jaw fell open and she couldn't find words.

Mr. Lindsay just continued, "Of course it will be a year before everything is finalized. There's also estate taxes. We think we've got most of it sheltered, so that shouldn't hit you too hard. But you do have access to all your companies and holdings and can start getting involved, or, in the case of the properties, use them at any time. All things considered, we've decided we can give you one right now and the rest when probate closes."

Tammy still couldn't speak and crossed her legs again. Linda finally asked, "One what?"

"Oh! Right! That would be one billion dollars. We know it's not much given the total size of the estate, but it should hold you over for a year."

"May I ask what would have happened to the estate, had you not found Miss Spalding? You said something about charities."

JPMMURPHY
JPMMURPHY
29 Followers