The Fall of York Ch. 58-62

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"He's the closet thing I have to a father. It's only right that you should have to ask someone for permission to marry me."

A big smile grew upon Jacob's face. "Agreed! I'll talk with Major Orr in the morning and get everything settled. I wish you'd smile, Millie. A bride as pretty as you would be even prettier if she smiled."

Millie smiled, shyly. "Maybe you should go now, Jacob. We don't want the Croydens wondering where you've run off to or why. And the Orrs could be home at any time!"

Jacob brushed her chin with his thumb and then nodded glumly. He walked to the door, opened it and then Millie flew into his arms.

"What?" he asked in surprise, as he was nearly knocked off his feet.

She hugged him tightly and then turned her head up to his. "I am very happy, Jacob. I thought you wanted to tell me you were leaving for good and it's taken me a few seconds to adjust."

He leaned his face down and she closed her eyes. Their lips touched and it was like everything she'd dreamed it would be. She felt feminine and soft and many odd sensations shot through her body. She felt hot and her blood rushed through her veins. Millie wanted his lips to kiss her cheeks, her eyes, her throat and then every part of her. Then she blushed at the thought.

Jacob pulled away while Millie held still, hoping that he would decide to kiss her again. She opened her eyes and he licked his lips.

"Perhaps I had best go now. I wouldn't want to cause a scandal."

Millie opened her mouth to say her bedroom was just up the stairs, but instead she squeaked, "Yes, you're likely right." She knew she was still blushing and didn't care if he could see it. He was going to be her husband!

Jacob walked out the door and across the dark yard. He stopped at the gate and turned back to smile at her. She watched him walk all the way back to the Croyden's house and counted at least ten times that he turned to smile back at her during his walk.

Millie closed the door and stood with her back against it for a full minute. She was going to get married! She had so much to talk to Mrs. Orr about!

She was going to be a wife! She had a lot of questions for Mrs. Orr that she could only ask a married woman.

60

Lawrence waited for the final trick to be taken, then approached the table and tapped Abigail on her shoulder. She turned her face up, saw him and gave him a smile.

"Excuse me, ladies. I'm afraid I must bow out of the next game as my husband and I have some pleasantries to exchange." Abigail stood and took her husband's hand.

"Pleasantries?" asked one of the women. Lawrence noted that she was about the same age as his wife, perhaps in her mid-twenties.

Mrs. Powell spoke up, "They are but newly married."

"Ah," said the first woman as if in fond remembrance, "pleasantries." Lawrence found himself blushing, much to his surprise.

"Remember to drop by for lunch on Wednesday, Abigail," said the third woman at the table.

"I will and thank you for your gracious invitation."

Lawrence escorted his wife from the room, but he could feel three sets of eyes upon him. "I thought you didn't like cards."

"I don't. We weren't playing cards; we were talking." He gave her a look of disbelief. "Well, we were playing cards, but those three discuss heady matters while they play cards. The discussion was most interesting and it took quite an effort to keep up with both the change in topics and the game."

"I'm glad you've enjoyed yourself."

She sighed. "They are the first people I've met, aside from you, that I could really discuss subjects that I find fascinating. Barbara and the other girls near Queenston were pleasant," she winked at him, "but I always had to keep a face on. How was your meeting, dear?"

"Oh...very informative." He hoped she couldn't smell the brandy on his breath. He'd drunk down his first glass in celebration with the other men and then the Chief Justice had everyone's glasses refilled and they all drank to the King.

"You have precious little to pass on after such an intriguing meeting, husband," Abigail observed as they walked through a crowded room. One of the young ladies was playing some music in the corner, but neither of the Orrs had much interest in listening to it.

"It's a pleasant evening. Why don't we go for a walk in the garden?" Abigail asked

Lawrence led her to a side room which had a set of double doors leading to a patio and then the garden. They passed outside and closed the doors behind them. The air was pleasantly warm, the garden was dark and the stars twinkled above them.

"You look lovely, Abigail."

"Thank you, kind sir," she responded with some dramatic flair. "Yet, I cannot help but feel you are trying to put us off on a tangent. I know you have good news for me: what is it?"

He put his hand on her arm and led her a little deeper into the darkness. The sounds of conversation muted as they walked further from the Powell's home.

"His honour, Chief Justice Drummond Powell, will name me a magistrate in a couple of days."

Abigail clapped her hands. "I'd rather see you busy than sit idle in retirement, but you don't have any experience in law, do you?"

"No, and I never perceived any reason to be interested in it. But, Powell explained that they need a man of my experiences to sit in judgement over others. I have very definite ideas of right and wrong, but there is mercy within my heart it seems. I'm to be given one of Powell's star pupils as an aide to make up for my lack of legal knowledge."

"That is wonderful news, Lawrence. I'm so proud of you. But there is something more isn't there?"

"There was talk that I could eventually move from deciding law to making law at some point in the future."

"That would require your winning an election. Have you any interest in politics?"

"The Chief Justice described it in very eloquent terms as serving the people. He and the others were confident that I would be a very popular candidate in the correct riding. I've never been interested in politics, but times have changed and I'm keeping my options open. In ten years, who knows?"

Abigail frowned. "You are sure that they aren't offering you things in exchange for future favours? I find myself liking Mrs. Powell a great deal, but she could be a schemer. I don't think she would marry a man who wasn't her equal."

"Just like you. No, I think this is all based on simply finding me to be of like mind to them. There was no talk of favours. In fact, the Chief Justice implied that my taking the position of magistrate would be a personal favour to him."

"From major to magistrate. Is that a step up or a step down?"

"As if you really cared about that!"

"No, I mean...you seem to be rising so high." She interrupted him before he could respond. "I recall that you're the son of a Lord, but I'm just a doctor's daughter. Sometimes I feel a little out of my depth with you and the circles that you might find yourself in."

"That from a woman who has become instant friends with the Chief Justice's wife! Where I go, my dear, you go with me. It is only with the strength and love of my lovely wife that I am able to perform any useful service to my King and fellow man."

Abigail put her finger over his lips to silence him. "How is it that a man trained for mortal combat upon the battlefield can say such tender things to his simple wife?"

Lawrence nibbled the tip of her finger and they both went silent. She leaned against him and stared up into his face.

"You are anything but simple, my love," he said to her quietly.

She smirked and ran the fingers of her free hand through his hair.

"It's dark, warm and no-one is likely to leave the party. We could...", then he lifted his eyebrows.

Abigail stepped back and put a hand to her mouth. "Such a scandalous suggestion, sir! And to a married woman!" His smile widened in response to her playfulness. "Although...I suppose if we were another two or three yards further from the door it would give us sufficient privacy that you might enjoy your 'privileges of rank'." She took a couple of steps away from him and raised an eyebrow.

Lawrence lunged forward with his arms extended, but his wife stepped to one side and his fingers missed her. He took a quick step to his left and managed to grab her arm. She leaned back against a tree and a few blossoms fell around her in the starlight.

Lawrence inched forward until they stood chest to chest. The only sound was their breathing, coming faster and faster, in anticipation of their lovemaking.

He released her hand, leaned forward and kissed her. Her arms wrapped about his neck and pulled him against her. The fragrance from the blossoms blended with her own and Lawrence felt almost overwhelmed by the sensuality of the moment. He put his hands on her back and began pulling her down.

"Wait!" she disengaged herself from his arms. "The ground is moist and everyone who sees us afterward will know that you've ploughed my field."

"And sown it, with any luck. I don't care what other people think, but I can throw my jacket across your back..."

Abigail shook her head. "I'll not have people whispering about the carnal hunger of York's newest magistrate. And as for getting me with child, I think you've done that deed, Lawrence. I'll know for sure in a few more days."

"That's wonderful news, Abigail." He grabbed her and hugged her tightly. "Uhm, that is one more reason to celebrate so perhaps we should return home."

Abigail reached out and ran her fingers along the front of his trousers. "I think you are as eager as I and I have an idea." She unbuttoned his pants and freed him into the night air. Her hands caressed his length.

"If not the muddy sod, then...?"

"Lift me into that hollow there," and she nodded to where a low branch joined the trunk.

Before she could turn back to him, she felt his hands under her shoulders and she was lifted off the ground. He set her gently in the crook.

"Now, as I lower myself down, lift my legs and throw back my skirts," she suggested.

She wrapped her arms around some branches as he prematurely lifted her skirts. They gathered around her waist, hiding the lower part of their bodies from her view. She did feel his hands as they caressed each of her bare legs, from ankle to thigh. Then he reached under her bottom and pulled her from the tree a little.

Abigail made sure her grip was tight. She could feel him move between her legs and then squeeze between her thighs. Bending her knees allowed her to further separate her legs a little and then she felt his member testing her lower lips.

Lawrence struggled to aim his erection into the cleft but, despite the stiffness of his member and the moistness of her sex, he could not manage to couple. He released one of her legs and she obligingly wrapped it partway around his hip. With his hand, he slid his cock along the fleshy folds.

The teasing brought forth a stifled whine from Abigail. Her leg started to slip, so Lawrence plunged himself into her and she gasped. He lifted the slipping leg with his free hand and leaned forward until he was as deep into her as he could go.

Abigail huffed several times. He felt her muscles contract tightly around him and he withdrew a little. She shook her head and he plunged in again.

"Keep going!" she demanded.

He swallowed and then withdrew and thrust in a second time. Her vehement nodding told him what he had expected and he began to thrust at a steady pace. There was the repeated 'schlock' every time he went deeply into her. Blossoms fell around them.

Abigail's breathing came faster and faster. In the starlight, he could see her breasts heaving with their exertions, with the cleavage appearing and then disappearing in a fast but steady beat.

She bent her legs, trying to draw him in deeper, but instead he increased his rhythm. Her nails clawed into the bark of the tree and blossoms fell upon her face and hair. Lawrence was reminded of fair Titania and he chuckled at the question of whether he was more Bottom or Oberon.

Abigail heard the chuckle and glared at him for it had interrupted his rhythm. He regained his pace and felt himself losing control and thrusting harder and harder into her moist depths. He could feel a familiar and pleasant pressure building within him as his seed readied. Suddenly all thoughts of prolonging their pleasure fled as his hips bucked and his essence pumped through him and into her.

She let out a loud gasp that she muffled by clamping her mouth shut. She squeezed her eyes as he gave a second, almost painful thrust. All her muscles stiffened, then he slipped out of her. She gasped in disappointment, but she was still mid-orgasm and it was all Lawrence could do to hold her legs so she did not fall from the tree.

Lawrence bowed his head and tried to force his breathing to slow. He had a mild headache, but felt washed clean from the inside out.

Abigail's muscles relaxed and she seemed almost to sag into unconsciousness. He lifted and pushed her, so she was more firmly set into the hollow between the branch and the trunk, and then leaned against the trunk. Lawrence felt her hand seek him out and then she buried her fingers in his hair.

A sudden noise startled both of them from their very relaxed euphoria.

"I'm sure I heard some noise out here," said a man.

"I believe the Orrs came out here a few minutes ago. Maybe it was them?" asked a woman.

Lawrence and Abigail peered through the branches, but could not see the speakers.

"Oh, well. Perhaps it was an animal. And I cannot blame the Orrs for sneaking off early."

"Why is that?" asked the woman.

"Didn't you hear? Major Orr is to become a magistrate now that he's retired from the military. He fought beside General Brock, stayed to help defend York against the Yankees after Sheaffe fled, and rescued that poor American lad who was drowning in a river."

"Oh, the brave, young lad who duelled?"

"The same."

"Who told you all this, Eric?"

"Mr. and Mrs. Charles."

"Oh, let's go and learn more!"

There was the sound of the double doors closing, followed by the sound of Abigail and Lawrence releasing their breath. He helped her from the tree and then held her steady, as her knees were not as supportive as she usually found them. They adjusted their clothes quickly, so as to avoid any embarrassing surprises. Lawrence brushed away some of the tree bark that had been caught up in his wife's dress.

"Oh, let us go home, Lawrence," Abigail pleaded.

He offered his arm and she placed her hand upon it. "First, we say goodbye to our hosts."

"Of course. Mrs. Powell will understand and explain our early departure to any who ask."

Lawrence wondered exactly how much Mrs. Powell would understand, then upon reconsideration he prudently put the question out of his mind.

61

The next day, Jacob and Mr. Croyden came to visit Major Orr and the men secluded themselves in the parlour while the women stayed in the kitchen. Millie was unusually cheerful and Abigail put the puzzle pieces together quite easily. She kept the maid busy so the time would pass by quickly.

The women heard footsteps in the hall between the two rooms and Millie stopped her cleaning and stared expectantly at the door.

"Ah, ah," chided Mr Croyden, "you're not going to see her for the next few days, Jacob. Come with me, young man. We have preparations to take care of."

The women heard Major Orr wish his visitors a good day and then close the door. Abigail went directly to the kitchen door.

"Mrs. Orr!" gasped Millie.

"I know it's impolite to suggest that we could hear that their visit was completed, but I also know my husband, Millie. He will sit up there smirking until he believes that we can no longer take the suspense and only then will he come to give us the news. Come with me."

The maid followed her mistress through the doorway and down the hall. As they entered the parlour, the two observed Major Orr placing chairs back into their normal locations. Abigail stood with her hands on her hips, impatience radiated from her. Millie clasped her hands together and chewed her lip.

"Have a seat, Abigail. You also, Millie." The ladies sat on the couch and he then relaxed in a chair. "So, you can guess why they came to visit."

"For Jacob to ask you for permission to marry me, sir," offered Millie.

"Yes, I was a little surprised by that. I know I'm your employer, but Upper Canada is hardly an elite social circle where a servant must have permission to marry. Why did you tell him to come to me, Millie?"

"I don't have any parents. The two of you have been like parents to me and I hold your opinion in great esteem. If either of you thought I was making a mistake then you would forbid Jacob from marrying me." Millie raised her eyes and folded her hands upon her lap.

"Well, I think you two are a good match, Millie. And since you chose to honour us as if you were our daughter then Abigail and myself have some leeway in our generosity to you. The wedding will be the afternoon of July thirty-first."

"That's inconveniently soon, Lawrence," interjected his wife.

"Jacob is determined to return home as soon as he can. His one year of service expires on that day, so he and his new bride can leave the next day. I'm sure I can arrange some passage to the Niagara Peninsula. Barbara and your father, or perhaps my friend William, can help them cross the border safely."

"It still sounds dangerous, Lawrence."

"I would not have them try crossing the lake. I can get papers for him that will offer him protection while he's in Upper Canada. Once he's among his own people he said he'd find some way to establish his identity. I don't believe he'd put Millie at undue risk."

"He would never," Millie declared.

Abigail put her hands on her knees. "Well, we'll be very busy for the next few days then! Lawrence must make arrangements for your safe travel, and you and I," she said eying the young woman, "have many things to arrange for your wedding!"

"I thought that perhaps a minister could come here and we could invite the Croydens," suggested Millie.

Abigail rolled her eyes and Lawrence chuckled. "Young lady, we'll keep it to a small group, but I intend to make your wedding day as special as I can," the mistress of the house said.

62

The morning of the wedding began brightly, with a purple-pink sky in the east. Then the shout went through the town that the Americans were back.

Lawrence left the house for several minutes, while Abigail and Millie fretted. Upon his return, Mrs. Orr glanced once at his grim face and remarked, "So, it's true then."

Millie closed her eyes and tried to be strong. She feared that Jacob would be taken away from her mere hours before they were to be wed. She opened her eyes and went to the eastern window in the parlour, watching the goings on at the Croyden house. Jacob was busy putting belongings in a cart for the older couple. He didn't look over at the Orr house.

"Well, the wedding is still on!" declared Abigail.

Millie and Lawrence looked at her in shock.

"They've been here before and they didn't murder us all, so I doubt they're here to do that now. Maybe they'll leave some soldiers to hold York this time, but they have no reason to stop a wedding. Especially when one of their own is marrying a local girl," she explained.

Lawrence rubbed his chin. "I'll take Jacob and meet with their commanding officer. An explanation before the fact may smooth things over and ensure there's no trouble. He can issue orders that the wedding is not to be disturbed. In the meantime, let us have breakfast."

"How can you eat?" asked Millie.

"He's a soldier," explained Abigail. "While men can eat at almost any time of night or day, the soldier is a special breed that is able to eat and sleep at absolutely any time and under any conditions, sometimes simultaneously." Lawrence was grinning at his wife and Mrs. Orr winked at Millie.