The Farmer & Dale Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
dlmercer
dlmercer
425 Followers

"It's us isn't it?" Rick murmured.

"To us, baby, to us. That's why I wanted you to hear it."

Dale again took Rick's hand in his. "I know you're afraid Rick. Afraid of what's going to happen today. Afraid of these feelings we have for each other and where they'll lead us. I am too, but like in the song, we can't go back or undo it. We both know that's no longer an option. I don't think it ever was." He held Rick's gaze with his own, his mossy green eyes, serious and sincere. "What we have is special. It’s meant to be. There are a lot of unknowns in the future but we'll find the strength in each other to face them. Together." He gave Rick a sweet, loving kiss, "I love you, I'm here for you."

Rick took a deep breath and nodded, turning, he walked through the kitchen and out the back door. Dale was surprised when a few moments later he returned, carrying a ringed binder filled with papers.

"I've been carrying this around the last few days, debating on whether or not to ask you to look at it." He handed the binder to Dale, "I'd be honored if you'd read some of it and give me your opinion." He gave Dale a quick kiss. At the doorway he stopped and looked back, "I love you
Dale, I'll be back in a little while."

Dale nodded. He sat down on the sofa, listening for the sound of the backhoe. It was fired up and by the sound, he could tell it was on the move.

Curious, he settled back and opened the binder. Inside was a series of short stories. Dale began with the first one and was soon engrossed. He was touched by the writing. The stories were interesting, the characters well drawn. By turns he laughed and cried and was amazed by this outpouring of a talent Rick had apparently kept hidden. He was unaware of the passing time until Rick entered the living room. Dale took one look at his face and stood, going to him, wrapping his arms around him for a hug.

"Tell me, angel." he murmured softly, as he drew back to study Rick as he spoke.

"Mom...she didn't take it too well. She hit me, Dale. Momma's never hit me, not once in my whole life." Rick spoke mechanically, remotely, "Dad, he didn't say anything, not one word. After Mom left the room, crying, we just sort of stared at each other for a minute. It was like we were strangers. Finally, I told him if he needed to reach me, I'd be here."

He looked at Dale, his eyes seeming to focus away from some distant point "See, I told you I'd be back," he said with almost child-like simplicity.

Dale bit his lip, Rick was in shock, "I know you did baby, I'm glad you're home. Let's get some ice for your cheek."

Rick nodded and followed Dale into the kitchen, waiting patiently as he filled an old-fashioned ice bag with cubes from the freezer. Dale kept the bag for occasional headaches, usually brought on by sinus. Keeping his head half frozen was the only way he got relief from headaches that sometimes lasted for several days.

Bag filled, Dale led Rick upstairs. Once in the bedroom, he had him sit on the edge of the bed, so could remove his shoes. He urged Rick to lie down and sat down on the edge of the bed beside him. He placed the ice bag on Rick's red and slightly swollen cheek.

"How does that feel, baby? Better?" he asked.

Rick nodded and shivered slightly. Dale reached for a blanket and pulled it over him, tucking it tight. "Close your eyes, love, relax." He tenderly combed Rick's hair back, a slow, soothing act that calmed and reassured both of them. Rick yawned. Dale smiled, "Go to sleep, baby. It'll be all right. Go to sleep." he crooned softly.


***

"Dale?"

Rick's almost panicked call, brought him instantly alert and to the bed.

"I'm right here, Rick. You ok, babe?"

Dale had held the ice-pack to Rick's cheek for nearly half an hour, as he slept. The place where his mother hit him was reddened, though the swelling seemed to have gone down. He'd left him for a moment, going downstairs to retrieve the binder that contained Rick's stories. Returning to the bedroom, he settled himself comfortably in one of his grandmother's chairs, opening the binder to read and wait for Rick to wake.

"I'm ok, Dale. I was a little out of it when I got here, but I'm ok now." He sat up and sighed,
"I'm glad you're here."

"So am I." Dale sat on the bed. They hugged, rocking gently, "I'm sorry Rick. Sorry things turned out the way they did."

Rick drew back and nodded, "So am I, but damn it, I'm not going to cry about it." He blinked back the tears that threatened. "This shit has got to stop."

"What shit?" Dale questioned.

"All this emotional upheaval. I haven't cried this much since I was twelve and my dog died. It's not dignified."

Dale snorted, "Since when have you been concerned with dignity?"

"Since right now." Rick retorted. "Lets go out. I'm not going to hang around the house and mope the rest of the day and night. I know, let's go on a date. Dinner and a movie, what do you say?"

"So, you're asking me out?"

"Yes, I am. Will you go out with me, Dale, please?"

Dale felt a shiver of pleasure, "I'd love to go out with you."

Rick gave a whoop and jumped out of bed, his grin at full watt. "We've got plenty of time to get ready. Let's drive into Springfield, I know this little Italian place that has the best manicotti you've ever eaten. Then we'll catch a movie, your choice. Does that sound ok?"

Dale nodded, laughing as Rick grabbed him up in his arms and danced him around the room.

***

Rick had kept his cheery attitude and made their date a rousing success. Dinner was ambrosial, the movie amusing and their lovemaking on their return home, explosive. Rick's amorous mood had lasted through the night. He kept at Dale constantly, almost desperately, it seemed. Dale was certain some of his urgent need had to do with what had happened between him and his parents. He was desperate to be assured that Dale loved him, needed him.

Dale was more than happy to comply, returning Rick's passion with equal fervor. Though concerned with Rick's insecurities, he wasn't about to stop and try to engage him in meaningful conversation. Rick was in rut. Dale reveled in it.

Morning found them sleeping late.

The next couple of days, they worked around the house and outside. Rick was a man who needed to stay busy and did. He did maintenance on the mowers and tiller that were stored in the garage.

The grass had gotten tall and he spent some few hours mowing. He took over the care of the ground that had hosted the now defunct poplar grove. He arranged for some soil to be delivered to fill in the holes. With the tiller he worked the ground, blending the new soil with the old. The area was soon prepared and ready.

He and Dale made a trip into the local nursery, where they picked out four, tall, sturdy oak trees and three, showy, scarlet maples. The trees were of a size that they needed to be delivered, Rick helping the nursery man to set them in when they arrived. He and Dale gazed at their new grove with satisfaction. The trees were spaced to allow plenty of room for growth.

"Just think how these will look a few years from now." Dale spoke with satisfaction.

Rick threw an arm around his shoulder and squeezed, "Those maples are going to be something to see this fall, they'll add color the oaks can't. But the oaks... there's something timeless and reassuring about oak trees. They stand so tough and steady, unshakable and constant, as the years pass."

Dale squeezed Rick by means of the arm he'd looped around his waist. "You have a poet's soul, my love. Which reminds me, I want to talk to you about your stories."

"Okay...do I want to hear this?" he asked with some trepidation.

Dale laughed and released him, ducking from under his arm. "Well, I'm not sure." he began walking back to the house, Rick anxiously on his heels.

"What does that mean?" Rick asked suspiciously.

"Maybe we should just forget I brought it up." Dale teased.

"Dale." Rick growled, in warning.

"What?"

"Tell me."

"Make me." Dale threw over his shoulder and sprinted away.

"You little shit." Rick cursed and took off in pursuit.

The two of them ran around the house, Dale dodging Rick's determined pursuit. Dale would have been fine if he hadn't started laughing. He was clearly the faster of the two. He led Rick on, reversing direction, rounding the barn, when his amusement tripped him up. Weakened by laughter, he fell victim to Rick's flying tackle.

They rolled in the soft, fragrant, padding of grass, Rick making sure he came out on top. With
Dale pinned beneath him, Rick began a determined tickle attack that had him shrieking and begging for mercy. At last, winded, and satisfied he'd doled out sufficient punishment, Rick ceased. Dale sucked in deep drafts of air. As his breath steadied, he bucked under Rick's imprisoning weight.

"Get off me, you fiend."

Rick declined to comply. "Not until you tell me what you thought about what I wrote."

"Ok, ok. I give up." Dale took another deep breath. "You're stories are wonderful. I want to introduce you to my agent and have her read them. Have you ever thought about writing something longer?"

Rick was stunned, he rolled off Dale and collapsed in the grass, "You're serious aren't you? You're not just saying that because we're lovers. You really mean it don't you?"

"I'm serious all right, I wouldn't waste my agent's time, she'd skin me." Dale levered himself up and leaned over Rick. "You have a real talent, Rick, it would be a shame to keep it hidden. You should be published so others can enjoy your writing, not to mention the fact that the money can be damn good."

Rick lay still, watching the clouds move slowly across the sky. Dale lay back next to him.

"What do you say to a trip to New York? I'll call my agent to arrange a meeting. I want her to verify what I think, that you have a lot of raw potential. I'm not saying you'll see a book in print with your name on it in the next few months, but I want you to have the opinion of a professional." Dale explained. "Afterward we can spend a couple of days cruising around the Big Apple. It could be fun. Might be a good thing to get away for a few days or even a week or two.

Rick remained silent for a moment or two, then sat up. "Lets do it. I've never been to New York, never been to much of anywhere for that matters. I think it's time I expand my horizons." He stood and offered a hand to Dale, pulling him to his feet. "Right this minute though, I feel something else expanding. Let's go back to the house." He nuzzled Dale's neck. "This grass is nice, but it's a little damp. I want you on your back, in our bed, while I make love to you."

Dale shivered with anticipation. He held out his hand, "Come on." he urged. Together they walked, arm in arm, back to the house.

They were just heading up the stairs when they heard a vehicle pull into the driveway. Rick looked out the window by the front door. It was his dad.

"Oh shit," he whispered, his erection deflating.

From his perch two steps up, Dale asked, "Who is it?"

Rick turned a look filled with uncertainty and anxiety in his direction, "It's my dad."

Dale leapt down the stairs, coming to stand at Rick's side, "He's not armed is he?"

"Dale." Rick admonished.

Dale shrugged, "Well, I don't know him, Rick. I'm just being cautious. Where are you going?"

Rick had opened the front door, unlocked the screen and was preparing to step out, "I have to see what he wants, Dale."

Dale frowned, but finally nodded. "Don't go off the porch. I'm staying right here just in case."

Rick gave him a rueful smile, "All right, mommy."

He walked out on the porch. By that time, his dad had exited his truck and was now mounting the steps, coming to meet him. He stopped a few feet from Rick and uttered one word.

"Son."

Rick answered with a choked, "Daddy?"

His dad nodded, "Come here, boy."

Rick stepped into his arms.

Dale watched them, his eyes filled with tears of relief and happiness. Rick's dad rocked him as
Rick cried, his own eyes bright with tears, a few of which rolled slowly down his tanned, weathered, cheeks.

"I'm sorry son, I'm so sorry." he murmured.

Rick got hold of himself and pulled away, wiping his eyes, "What are you sorry for, Dad? You didn't do anything."

Gerald Hunter shook his head, "I should have defended you. I was just so damned surprised. I never suspected that you had such inclinations, you were always going out with this girl or that one." He heaved a sigh, "I watched for it, I watched your brother too, but I missed it. I didn't know you were like me."

Rick's eyes widened in stunned surprise.

"Can we sit down someplace? We need to have a talk, son."

"Yeah, of course, Dad, come in." He opened the door, letting his dad proceed him. Inside he introduced Dale. "Dad, this is Dale Vaden, my partner."

Dale's nerves were jittery. He gave Rick a sweet, grateful smile and held out his hand, "I'm pleased to meet you, Mr. Hunter." he said firmly.

Rick's dad shook his hand without hesitation. "I'm pleased to meet you, Dale, call me Gerald. I wish we were meeting under easier circumstances, but I hope things will get straightened out eventually." He looked around curiously, "You young men wouldn't happen to have a cup of coffee, would you?"

Rick's grin was beatific, "Dad, you sure came to the right place. Wait till you taste Dale's coffee!"

Dale fixed the coffee and they settled at the kitchen table. Gerald took his first sip, a look of surprise and delight spreading over his face. He gave his son a stern look.

"Don't let him get away from you, son. A man could put up with a lot of aggravation for coffee like this."

Dale grinned and blushed, as Rick and Gerald chuckled at his embarrassment.

Gerald sobered, "Your momma's awful sorry she hit you, son. She cried all night, kept saying how she couldn't believe she did that to her baby."

Rick's throat tightened, unable to speak, he nodded. Dale took his hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze. Rick grasped his hand firmly, keeping the needed contact. Gerald smiled briefly at their display of comforting unity and affection.

He continued, "She was shocked, Rick. It was like the past had come back to haunt her."

Rick frowned, "What do you mean, Dad?"

"When I was a young man, I discovered I liked not only women, but men as well." He took a deep breath. "I'm bi-sexual, son, just as I suspect you are."

Rick flushed and nodded. It was disconcerting to be ‘outed' by your own father, especially when he confessed similar inclinations. This was a side of his dad, Rick would never have guessed existed.

"When I was eighteen, I had my first sexual experience with a man. I'd been active with girls and enjoyed the hell out of it, but I still found myself drawn now and then to a man. Not anyone in particular, mind you. It was more like if some good looking guy would catch my eye, I'd wonder what it would be like. I found out. I'm not going into the details, just suffice it to say that sex with women was sweet and hot. Being with a woman made me feel strong and protective, but being with a man was totally different. There's was something wild and primitive about it. It was just pure lust and pleasure with no worries about emotional entanglements."

Gerald wiped at the sweat on his upper lip and grinned, "It's gettin' a little hot in here."

Rick and Dale chuckled, sympathizing with his feelings.

"Anyway," he continued, "After that first time, I felt the itch every few weeks, so I went into Springfield to scratch it. I met your momma when I was 21. We started dating and it wasn't long before I was sure she was the one for me. You see, even though I liked sex with men, I still preferred women. When your mom came along, well, I was sure I could put all that other behind me." He paused, lost momentarily in memories. "Then I met Steve. That man affected me in ways no one ever had before. I was fascinated with him, he was older than me and very experienced. We did things..." He cleared his throat and glanced at his rapt audience, reddening slightly.

"Never mind what we did. What I'm trying to say is, my relationship with Steve began to affect my relationship with your mom. I knew I loved her and didn't want to lose her, so I asked her to marry me. Even after we became engaged, I couldn't break it off with Steve. Your mom began to suspect I was seeing someone and one day she caught us."

"Oh shit," Rick murmured.

"Oh shit, for real." his dad agreed, "Steve was in town and I called your mom to cancel our date that night, telling her I wasn't feeling well. Like the good woman she is, she brought me chicken soup. Steve and I had just finished up our first round and were fresh out of the shower, both wearing only towels. We were headed for the kitchen and a snack when the doorbell rang. I had this sudden, awful premonition, but before I could warn him not to answer it, Steve opened the door and there stood your mom."

Gerald shook his head, the guilt and remorse of that moment still had the power to disturb, even after so many years. "I'll never forget the look on her face when she saw us. I knew then and there, I'd lost her. She didn't say a word, just turned and walked away. I was in a total panic, I fell apart. I'd never told Steve about your mom. He made me tell him everything. Afterward, he shook his head and told me I was a fool. He said it was obvious where my heart was and if I didn't get my head out of my ass, I was going to regret it for the rest of my life."

Tears filled Gerald's eyes, "To this day, I still love that man. Not in the way I love your mom, son," he added as Rick seemed about to protest. "But Steve was a good man, totally unselfish and giving. I never saw him again after that day. I hope and pray he's had a good life, he deserves it. He surely saved mine. I was able to patch things up with your mom and I vowed to her I'd never be unfaithful again. It's a promise I've kept, even though it was damned hard."

He gave both young men an uncompromising look, "That's something you'll find out. The male animal isn't built for fidelity. More than likely, at some point, you'll be tempted to stray, no matter how much you love each other. But take my advice, you'd better think long and hard about what you're putting at risk for a little physical pleasure."

Rick and Dale squirmed like guilty schoolboys under his fierce regard. "We'll remember what you said, Dad," Rick assured him. "So, what happens now? Is Mom prepared to accept Dale?"

Gerald shook his head, "Not yet son, but I'm working on her. She loves you. I know, given time, she'll accept your decision. Like I said, all this just brought back the past. It's quite a blow for a woman to face infidelity from the man she loves, but to face what she did was doubly hard. Your mom has a lot of strength and character, you know that son, and she's fair. She's never had a bad word to say about gay men and relationships. If anyone could have worked up fear and hate on that subject, she certainly had cause to, but she didn't give in to it."

"Give it time, Rick, just give it time." Gerald sighed and pushed his chair back, standing, "So, have you two been making any plans? Dale, I don't even know what you do for a living. Are you going to be able to take good care of my son?" he teased.

Rick grinned as Dale rolled his eyes, "Now I know where Rick gets it from"

They all laughed as they walked out on the front porch. Rick explained to his dad, their plans for the trip to New York and the reason.

Gerald shook his head in mock resignation, "Son you're just one surprise after another. It wouldn't surprise me now if you turned up pregnant. If any man could do it, you could. And, if that happens," he turned a warning eye to Dale, "I'll be down here with a preacher and a shot gun."

dlmercer
dlmercer
425 Followers