The Fighting Finnegan's Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
davidpaul
davidpaul
116 Followers

Jack hurriedly dialed the phone number.

"Jack is that you?"

"Hi Ernie...it's me. Are you ok?"

"Jack you have to get to the hospital now! You're Dad has had a massive heart attack and they don't know if he will survive."

Jack dropped the phone and raced out of the house past a startled Scott and Eve. He grabbed Scott's car keys and raced towards the hospital.

"Hang on Dad...I'm coming." Jack said to himself

--------------------

Billy was talking to Peter Johns. It was turning into a long conversation.

"Peter I'm telling you we have to get Ernie signed and then get rid of my old man as his trainer."

"Christ Billy...you are one cold bastard... that's what I like about you."

"Well we need this fight and I'd like nothing more than for Ernie to wipe the floor with that smug bastard. He's just a paper champion. Have a read of this list I've quickly put together on available trainers."

"Impressive Billy. I'll read over it later tonight."

"Well we'll speak tomorrow then. I'm taking Bianca out for dinner, but she's starting to wear me out with her incessant talking. Thank Christ she's good in the sack."

Peter Johns just laughed. Billy Finnegan was indeed the coldest bastard he'd ever met but he sure did produce the results for IMG. If this was the way he treated his family I'd hate to be his enemy. Those were Peter's last thoughts as Billy left for the day.

--------------------------------

Jack rushed through the emergency doors of the hospital and was directed to the nurse's station. Jack spotted Ernie in the waiting room and rushed over to speak with him. Although they hadn't met in person before they had talked numerous times over the phone and got on well.

"Ernie, what's happening?"

"Jack ...I don't know they haven't told me anything. I think Gary had a heart attack but I'm not sure. They promised me that the Doctor would come out soon"

"I can't believe this is happening. Were there any signs?"

"Well to be honest Jack he has been under a lot of stress for a long time."

"What do you mean?"

"Well I don't know if it's my place to say but Billy has caused your Dad a lot of professional, personal and financial problems. There has been many a surprise or two in the last couple of years. To be honest Jack I don't think much of your brother but that's just my opinion"

"Billy.....Dammit I should have known. Where the hell is that Doctor?"

"Look Jack I'll go and see if I can find out where he is."

"Thanks Ernie. I have to make a few calls."

Ernie left to find the Doctor. Jack phoned Scott and apologised for taking the car but he explained the situation. Jack could hear Eve in the background telling Scott she was getting her car out of the garage and to tell Jack they would be getting to the hospital pronto.

Jack wondered if he should call Matt & Vera but they were overseas so he thought he'd wait until he knew more. Jack decided to hold off calling Billy, not that he'd care Jack thought bitterly.

Ernie came back followed by a Doctor in his white coat.

"Jack this is Doctor McCarthy,"

"Hi Jack... nice to meet you. I'm looking after your Father."

"Hello Doctor McCarthy. Please tell me what is happening?"

"In simple terms Jack your father has had a heart attack and we had to put him into a medically induced coma."

"Why a coma for a heart attack?"

"Well we have some concerns as there is swelling on the brain. This could mean potential brain damage but it is too early to tell. It appears the swelling was from the heart attack itself as the brain was deprived of oxygen during the attack."

"Will he survive?"

"Again it's too early to tell at the moment but your father is on a ventilator and is resting comfortably. We are monitoring him very closely.

Look Jack I have to get back so please leave your number with the nurse's station and we will call if there is any change during the night. Otherwise you are welcome to stay in the waiting room."

"Thanks Doc."

Jack was still in disbelief and had a lot of information to digest. He decided to stay at the hospital for the night. Ernie agreed to stay with him. Scott and Eve soon arrived and as Jack explained the situation they said they would wait as well. However Jack talked them into coming back in the morning and would call them if there was any change.

"Ernie are you sure you want to stay because it's the same deal for you. . I can call if there is a change."

"No mate...I want to stay. He's my best friend and like a Father to me. I want to be here."

"Ok Ernie...and thanks."

"I guess I should phone Matt & Vera first, and then Billy I suppose."

"Mate I think you might have to call a couple of other people as well."

"Who Ernie?"

"Lyn and Cathy Reilly."

"Why would I do that?"

"Jack your Dad was going to let you know tomorrow but considering the circumstances I better tell you."

"Tell me what Ernie?"

"Jack your Dad has a very special relationship with the Reilly family. A lot has changed in the time you've been away."

"Well I know Lyn worked for Dad and they've been family friends since I was a kid."

"Yeah well it's more than that now Jack."

"Ok lay it on me Ernie."

"Well for starters Lyn and your Dad are going out and are extremely close. I think its love mate."

"Shit why didn't he tell me?"

"I think it was going to be a surprise but there's more."

"He's real close with Cathy as well."

"Why...because of Lyn?"

"No mate because of his grandson."

"Grandson? Oh fuck...it's Billy's kid isn't it?"

"Yeah but Billy won't have anything to do with him and just pays his child support. There are some issues there I guess but that's what I meant by Billy being a real thorn in your Dad's side."

"That son of a bitch... Why didn't anyone tell me I had a nephew?"

"Mate I think your Dad wanted you to just focus on your boxing but you'll have to ask him why."

"Gee Ernie what a mess. Well I'll make the calls. Thanks for the information."

--------------------

Jack phoned Matt & Vera McEwan's hotel in Hawaii and left a message to call him as soon as they could. Jack then had the unpleasant task of phoning Billy it went straight to voicemail. Jack calmly said he should get to the hospital immediately as his Dad had a heart attack.

Next he phoned the Reilly house. He hoped Lyn would pick up and not Cathy.

"Hello Reilly residence."

"Lyn its Jack Finnegan."

"Oh Jack how are you darling. We watched the fight; well done love...we are all so proud of you."

"Lyn I'm sorry to call like this but I'm at the hospital."

"Are you ok?"

"It's not me...its Dad."

"Gary....what's wrong with Gary?"

"Lyn...he had a heart attack plus there is swelling on the brain and the doctors put him in a coma."

Jack heard an almighty screech and sounds of sobbing as the phone hit the ground. The phone was picked up.

"Hello this is Cathy Reilly. Who is this?"

"Cathy its Jack Finnegan."

"Jack? Why is mum crying?"

"Cathy...Dad's had heart attack, there is swelling on the brain and he's in a coma."

"Oh God no. We will be right up I just have to arrange a sitter..."

"No bring him with you. I'd like to meet my nephew."

"You know?"

"Ernie just told me."

"Ok...we'll be there in 20 minutes."

--------------------

Jack returned to the waiting room. Ernie and Jack killed a bit of time talking boxing and Jack was impressed with Ernie's knowledge and love of the sport. Jack was just getting a coffee from the machine and turned to find Cathy only metres away.

Cathy was more beautiful then he could remember. Standing but wobbling next to Cathy was an adorable little boy no more than 2 years old. Lyn was being comforted by Ernie.

Jack came back into the waiting room and Lyn looked up and rushed into his arms.

"Oh Jack it's so good to see you. Promise me Gary will be okay."

Jack said all the right things and told her everything Doctor McCarthy had said. Lyn then sat back next to Ernie. Jack knew this would be an awkward moment but he turned and faced Cathy.

"Hello Cathy."

"Hi Jack."

"You look good."

"Thanks...so do you."

"Well are you going to introduce me?"

"Jack this is Richard Jack Finnegan your nephew. We call him RJ."

The little boy held out his hands and Jack picked him up. Up close there was no doubt he was from Finnegan stock. Jack hugged him and the little boy hugged him back. Jack fell in love with RJ the minute he picked him up.

"Cathy he's beautiful."

"I know Jack...I know."

Jack cuddled little RJ and they both fell asleep in the waiting room. Cathy watched them with her heart breaking; the man she loved holding her child. It was almost too much to bear.

--------------------

Around 2am that morning everyone decided to head home. Doctor McCarthy had reported no change and insisted the hospital would call if there were any problems. Jack decided to stay with Ernie at his childhood home. They all left together in Cathy's car as Scott had taken his SUV home with him.

Jack was really disgusted with Billy as not even a phone call to the hospital was made to check on his own Father. Even Matt had frantically called from Hawaii every few hours to check on Gary's condition. Matt & Vera were getting the first plane home and cutting their vacation short.

Jack figured Billy's time to pay the piper was coming.

--------------------------------

Billy was drinking heavily as usual. The date with Bianca hadn't gone well. Who cares if he called her Bridget a few times? Well she did and had stormed out of the restaurant and left in a Taxi. Billy had paid the bill and then went to his favourite bar not far from his apartment.

His mobile phone had rang a few times so he just shut it off, work could wait. He decided he would have one more drink and then head home to face an angry girlfriend.

--------------------------------

Jack roused early but had never really slept. He phoned the hospital and was told his Dad was still in a stable condition. He had some breakfast and it was only just 6am. Still too early to go to the hospital Jack figured. Jack scribbled a message telling Ernie he had gone for a walk. Jack then headed out to look around the old neighbourhood.

The neighbourhood had changed in the last couple of years. The streets seemed cleaner and by the look of front yards and the toys left on the lawns a lot of young families had started moving in.

Jack found himself out the front of Harry's Gym. Jack didn't even recognise the place, it was much bigger, not the Gym he remembered pounding those bags all those years. Things change, that's just the nature of life Jack figured. He started walking back and decided to go by the Reilly house just to look.

Jack found himself standing outside the Reilly house. At least not everything had changed although the place needed to be repainted and the guttering needed repair. Jack heard movement inside and thought it best to move on. He was just a little too late and he heard the door open as he turned to walk away.

"Jack?"

"Good Morning Cathy. What are you doing up this early?"

"Well I have a 2 year old but the truth is I haven't been able to sleep."

"True....stupid question eh"

"Jack come inside."

"Ok...I guess I can."

Jack entered the Reilly house for the first time in years. There were some new furnishings and of course children's toys but it was still as he remembered it. Cathy offered Jack some coffee but he opted for tea instead.

"What time are you going up to the hospital Jack?"

"Probably around 10am."

"Can we go together?"

"Sure as long as you bring RJ along."

"Of course, Mum as well."

"Cathy look I know this isn't the best time but can you tell me about RJ?"

"What can I say Jack he's my life."

"No Cathy I mean what happened with Billy and everything."

"Jack I don't know if I can really tell you it may bring up some painful memories.....for both of us."

"Please Cathy I need to know."

"Ok Jack ok. Where to begin? I guess from the time of your Mum's death we were drifting apart and you were acting very aloof and withdrawn..."

"Yeah I sure acted the fool didn't I?"

"Well that's the past Jack. Anyway Billy seemed to be the only one offering me any support. That day you left for your run. Billy came around to see your Dad but Gary was sleeping.

I had being crying and I thought Billy was my friend so I opened up to him and told him about the way you were acting. He said all the right things even going as far as saying that he would never treat me like that and in fact said he had loved me for a very long time.

I was shocked and Billy took this as an opportunity and started kissing me very passionately. Then you walked in and everything ended.

I tried for weeks to get you to talk to me but you refused. I felt betrayed and angry. Billy was pursuing me relentlessly and you wanted nothing to do with me. Being a foolish girl I succumbed to Billy's advances and became his girlfriend..."

"Why Cathy?"

"Please Jack I'm getting to that. In my mind I thought if I could make you jealous you would come back to me. Who better to do it with than Billy, your own brother? So it went on but you never came back to me.

I knew the night of the Cobb fight that things couldn't get any worse. I was just an object to Billy just like his sports car. He made me go to the fight and I know it was to put you off.

I was so proud of you that night but I knew I couldn't keep the charade up any longer. I was beginning to really hate Billy and I knew I had lost the respect of your Father. He didn't say it but I know he thought of me as a home wrecker.

When all the business with IMG signing Ernie and your Dad happened I knew I was done with the Finnegan family but I felt I owed it to you to tell you what was happening.

I went to you and you had signed with Scott Rankin and I saw the anger in your eyes, we fought and I left. I went back to Billy's apartment and packed my clothes and arranged to live with Mum as Dad was in a nursing home by then. Jack this is the hardest part of the story, please give me a minute...."

Cathy got up and went to the bathroom. Jack was stunned at the turn of events. What a fool he had been. Why didn't he trust Cathy? He knew Billy was a snake with no morals. Before Jack could silently beat himself up any more Cathy returned with her eyes red from crying.

"As I said before Jack this is the hardest part to tell. I had my bags packed and Billy came home I told him I was leaving him and that I never loved him as I had given my heart away long ago. Billy told me he loved me and grabbed my bags; he then struck me on the face and raped me.....'

"He WHAT! Raped you!! I'll kill that son of a bitch."

"Jack please calm down let me finish the story. I don't need Mum or RJ waking up."

"Sorry Cathy go on."

"Well we caught up in the neighbourhood that day and I told you I had run into a door. I was still in shock. I didn't see you again and then found out you had gone to America. I was so angry with you but then I reflected on the situation and knew it was for the best.

You needed to be free to pursue your dream. Soon after I found out I was pregnant. Mum supported me all the way. I knew the father was Billy so I told him. He went ballistic saying I was a whore and it could have been anyone's, he said the baby was probably yours.

Around the same time my Dad passed away so it was a very traumatic time. The only bright spot was your Dad he was around all the time supporting Mum and me. Ernie became a friend as well. Well it didn't take long for your Dad to figure out I was pregnant he talked to me one night and asked if it was his grandchild I was carrying. I told him the truth, that Billy was the father.

I don't know what happened but Ernie told me that your Dad and Billy had a blazing argument over me and the baby. Things then soured badly and Billy made your Dad's life unbearable.

After I had RJ and got home from the hospital Billy visited. He dumped some papers on me. The papers were to relinquish his parental right to RJ and it came with a cheque. I signed the papers not for the money but because I never wanted to see Billy again. Up to this point I have never heard from Billy but I ensured that RJ kept the Finnegan name.

In the past year love has blossomed between my Mum and your Dad, and Gary is a doting Grandfather. I knew privately it was hurting him badly about Billy and I have to admit he has seemed to have aged badly in the last year.

He is always talking about you and Ernie and is proud of you both. Gary never talks about Billy but told Mum he was thinking about getting out of training and retiring. He is only sticking at it for Ernie's sake and to keep IMG at bay."

"My God Cathy I can't believe things got that bad. I feel like I abandoned my family and look what's happened. The Championship means nothing without family"

"No Jack please don't blame yourself. You've kept us all going, we are so proud of you. You have inspired everyone around you. You know that you are Ernie's hero don't you? To be honest you're mine too."

"Cathy...this is hard to say but I've had two years to think about it. I missed you everyday over in America. I still love you with all my heart."

"Jack please don't say it if you don't mean it I couldn't take it."

"Cathy...I mean it I love you."

"I've always loved you Jack."

Jack and Cathy looked at each other and passionately embraced and started kissing each other. They only stopped when they heard sniffing. It was Lyn.

"Oh I'm so happy. It's good to see you two kids back together."

--------------------

Jack had to leave and wake Ernie up. They all then met at the Reilly house and left for the hospital. Jack spoke with Dr McCarthy again but there was no change to report but they could go in and see Gary.

It was a humbling sight for Jack seeing his Dad unconscious and hooked up to machines. Lyn was openly crying and Ernie was comforting her with tears in his eyes as well. Cathy and RJ hugged Jack. The group was soon joined by Scott and Eve Rankin. Everyone was there for Gary and just hoped he would pull through.

--------------------

Billy Finnegan woke up in an empty bed with a hangover. Where was Bianca? He wanted breakfast. Oh well, he'd grab something near the office. Billy had a shower and shave then put on his suit. He stopped as he always did at the hallway mirror muttering 'looking good killer'.

As he made his way to the car he turned his phone on and saw he had messages waiting. He checked them. Billy got the shock of his life as he heard Jack's voice telling him to get to the hospital as his Dad had a heart attack. Billy quickly rang the hospital and was informed his Dad was in a stable condition. They even put him through to Doctor McCarthy who explained the situation. It sounded like his Dad would be ok so he pondered whether to go to the hospital or the office?

--------------------

Matt & Vera McEwan arrived at the hospital looking exhausted. Jack went through what happened, explained the situation and introduced Matt to Doctor McCarthy as his Dad's 'brother'.

After discussion it was decided that they would all take shifts at the hospital staying with Gary. Jack, Ernie and Cathy would take the first one that day. Matt, Vera and Lyn would take the other. RJ would be shuffled between Lyn and Cathy.

--------------------

Billy arrived at IMG and went straight to Peter John's office. His Dad was ok so it was pointless going to the hospital he reasoned. Billy strode into the office as he had a plan hatching already.

"Peter...got some news."

"Well good morning to you to Billy. Coffee?"

"No I'm good."

"What's the news then?"

"Gary Finnegan had a heart attack."

"Your Dad had a heart attack! Is he okay?"

davidpaul
davidpaul
116 Followers