The Fourth Man Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
laptopwriter
laptopwriter
3,506 Followers

"No, no that's not it, I..."

Ken raised his hand. "I don't want to hear it. I don't want to hear any more of your lies, your conniving. Just leave me alone. Right now I can't stand the sight of you."

Jen's heart dropped. He didn't say or do anything she hadn't really expected, but she had clung to the slightest thread of hope. She could see in his face, her hope was misplaced.

"I'm sorry, Ken. I'm sorry for the pain I caused you. I never meant to hurt you."

Marge was listening from the kitchen.

"I don't want to hurt you anymore. I have a bag packed. Marge offered to let me stay with her for a couple of days."

"Go," he said raising his voice, "just go, get out of my sight."

It looked to Marge like Jen was about to collapse. She rushed to her side and grabbed her. "Come on, honey, let's give him some time."

Ken heard them rustling around behind him as they grabbed Jen's suitcase from the hall closet and left through the front door.

"I love you," she said in a weakened voice as she was led out by her friend.

Ken never budged from his chair. He heard Marge start her car and pull out of the drive. He saw her headlights pass by the window. She was driving away with his life, with the future he thought he had with the woman he loved more than anything. This time there was no need to try and control himself; he lowered his head into his hands and let the tears flow.

***

The next morning Marge was surprised when she heard Jack. She looked at the clock, it was only a little after ten-thirty. "Jack, I wasn't expecting you until later tonight."

"Yeah, well Laura's little story about her and Jen and Ken walking out, kind of put a damper on things. I grabbed the first flight out this morning. He must have gotten a flight out last night because he never came back to the motel."

"Oh yeah, he got home about midnight. I was with Jen when he walked in."

"What happened?"

"Well, about what you might expect. Ken told her to get out, he didn't want to even look at her. I brought her home with me. She's still up stairs sleeping. I hope you don't mind."

"Shit, what a mess. I don't really know about her staying with us, Marge. The last thing I want to do is get in the middle of this thing. Ken's been my best friend for a long time and I don't want him thinking I'm taking Jen's side."

"Okay," she relinquished, "let's just play it by ear and see how things go. Are you hungry? I just got up myself. Jen and I were up till four this morning, talking. I was just about to make some breakfast."

The kids were already out doing their own thing which gave Jack and Marge a chance to talk over bacon and eggs.

"Okay, tell me, how the hell did Ken find out about Jen cheating on him?"

"You're not going to believe it, remember I told you Tara had a sister named Laura?"

"Yeah..."

"Yeah, well she's the one Jen cheated with."

"No...but...I thought she lived in Atlanta?"

"She does now, but she lived in Chicago up until last year. How's that for a, 'it's a small world,' story?"

He told her how Tara and her sister came to his room the night before so Laura could apologize to Ken, but was a little too late. That's when he learned about his buddy overhearing their conversation.

"Tara came along to give her sister moral support," he said. "She needed it too, she was crying so hard I could hardly understand her sometimes. In between sobs, she told me the whole story. She took full responsibility for the whole thing and said she talked Jen into it. Before they left Laura asked me if I thought Ken would contact her husband. I didn't know what to tell her. I kind of doubt it, but I've never seen him that way. I told her she should go home and confess. It would be a lot better for him to hear it from her than from Ken."

"You think she'll do it?"

"I don't know, she has a lot to lose. The one's I feel sorry for are the kids. They have three and they're all cute as a button." Jack sadly shook his head and took a sip of coffee. "I'll tell you one thing, I don't think Jen has to worry about us playing golf with Tara anymore, she was so embarrassed she wouldn't even fly back on the same plane as me. She could have but she just kept the ticket she already had for later in the evening."

Jack saw his wife looking up at the doorway behind him. He turned around and saw his best friend's wife standing there.

"How, Jack? How did Ken find out?"

"Have a seat, Jen. Jack can explain everything while I make you something to eat," Marge told her.

Worn out from lack of sleep and all the emotional trauma, she walked almost like a zombie to the table and sat in disbelief as Jack proceeded to tell her of the circumstances regarding her husband's enlightenment.

"I'm sorry, Jack. I really messed things up for everyone didn't I."

"I won't lie to you, Jen, this affects more than just you and Laura. Even Marge and I are being pulled into this thing. Hell I feel like a sap for sticking up for you back then. I told Ken there was no way you'd ever cheat on him. Laura could possibly lose her entire family and in all the years I've known Ken, I've never seen him so upset and hurt."

"Jack," his wife admonished while throwing him a dirty look.

"Well it's true, damn it," he replied angrily.

"Come on, honey, eat your eggs," Marge told her in a much more sympathetic voice than was her husband's, "they're getting cold."

After eating, Jen went back to her room where she spent most of the day and night. She just wanted to be alone.

The next morning Jack was surprised to see Ken's car as he pulled into work. He really thought Ken would take a couple days off. He had no idea what to say to his friend. Should he apologize for convincing him Jen would never cheat on him? It was almost eleven by the time he got a few minutes to visit. Ken's office door had been closed all morning. He lightly knocked then opened the door a crack and saw his buddy standing at the window, staring out at the city.

"Can I come in?"

"Sure," Ken responded without looking back. "Sorry to stick you with my clubs the other day. I'll pay the extra cost."

"No problem, they're in my trunk. Don't let me forget to give them to you before we leave today."

Jack nodded but stayed silent.

"I'm so sorry, my friend. I wish I had some words of wisdom or could somehow make things better, but..." He just let his words hang in the air.

"Yeah, I know. Unfortunately there's nothing you or anyone else can do, Jack. I appreciate the thought, though. Is she still at your place?"

"Yeah, is that a problem for you...because if it is..."

"No, no problem."

"Are you sure, because I won't let her stay if you..."

"Jack, it's okay, really." Ken walked over and sat down behind his desk. Jack sat on the opposite side in his usual chair. "Damn, Jack, I don't know which is worse, the fact that she cheated, or the way she did it. I remember that whole conversation like it happened yesterday. Anyone else would have made up some lie, but not her, no she had to make a fool out of me. 'Do you trust me?' she asked. Shit, nothing like grinding my nose in it."

Jack responded. "I really don't think that was what she was trying to do, Ken. I'm not sure just what she was thinking but I really don't think she was deliberately rubbing you nose in it. From what Laura told me..."

"Laura, when did you talk to her?"

"She and Tara came down to our room right after you left. Laura wanted to try and apologize; they only missed you by two or three minutes. They both felt like shit. Tara had tears in her eyes but Laura was downright bawling."

Ken didn't say anything, he just turned his head and looked out the window again.

Jack could see the hurt in his buddy's eyes. "Any idea what you're going to do?"

"File for divorce, I guess. What else can I do? She cheated, Jack."

"Yeah, I know she cheated but...look, don't do anything just yet. I mean there's no hurry, right? Take some time and think it through. Maybe...I don't know, maybe go see a counselor or something. Don't just throw it all away, man."

"Don't make me out the bad guy, Jack. I'm not the one who cheated," was Ken's curt retort.

"No, no, I'm not saying that...look, you're my best friend. Whatever you decide, I'm with you. I just know you're hurting right now and probably want to strike out and hurt her back. All I'm saying is don't do something in anger that you'll regret later, that's all."

Ken continued to stare out the window as he thought about what his friend just said. After a few seconds he promised Jack he wouldn't make any rash decisions.

A week later everything was still in a state of flux. Ken knew what he had to do, he even reached for the phone to call his lawyer a couple times, but he just couldn't bring himself to punch in the number.

Jack was just leaving the building to go on a local sales call when he ran into a familiar face.

"Laura, what are you doing here?"

"Hi, Jack, I came to see Ken," she told him sheepishly. "I can only imagine what he must think about me but I have to apologize to him. I have to tell him how sorry I am. How's he doing?"

"How's he doing?" he replied snidely. "Not good, he kicked Jen out of the house. She's staying with me and my wife for the time being."

"Oh God, no, no. It wasn't her fault, I talked her into it. I have to tell him what happened, Jack. Do you think he'll see me?"

"I doubt it; besides, Jen's a big girl. She wouldn't have been there if she didn't want to be...at least that's the way Ken's going to look at it. I think you're wasting your time, Laura. I really do."

"I have to try, Jack. This whole mess is all my fault, I've got to try."

"Well, I can guarantee if you go in there and just say you want to see him, he'll have you kicked right out of the building."

"What can I do, I came all the way out here, I can't go back without at least trying."

Jack thought. Damn, he told himself, he hated getting any more involved in this whole thing than he was already but...

"Look, I'm on my way out to a sales meeting. I should be back about two. There's a little place called, "Plato's Place," on Devon, one street over and about three blocks to your right. Wait for me there. I'll stop in after my meeting and I'll see if I can't pave the way for you to see Ken."

"Oh, Jack, thank you. You have no idea how much this means to me. I haven't been able to sleep since this whole thing blew up."

***

It was almost three o'clock by the time Jack and Laura were back at the office.

"Hi, Betty," Jack greeted Ken's secretary in the outer office. "Is he busy?"

"No more than usual," she replied with a smile while looking at the pretty woman Jack had in tow. "And who is this?"

"Betty, this is Laura, a friend of mine and Ken's. Laura...Betty."

"Hi," Laura responded with an outstretched hand.

"Laura, why don't you have a seat out here while I go in and tell Ken you're here," Jack said as he knocked on the door.

Betty didn't know what was going on but it wasn't hard to see Jack's guest was very nervous as she sat down in one of the waiting room chairs.

Ken looked up from his paperwork as he heard the door open. "Hi, Jack, how'd you make out with Jenkins?"

"Okay, I got the contract renewed. Funny thing though, I ran into someone on the way over there."

"Oh, who?"

"Laura, she wants to talk to you, Ken. She's waiting outside."

"Jack, what the hell; what'd you bring her here for? I'm not talking to her. You should know better than that, damn it."

"Ken, she flew all the way out here just to talk to you..."

"I don't care if she flew under her own power," he joked derisively. "She probably just wants to see if I'm going to inform her husband."

"Okay, I'll tell her it's no deal, but I don't think that's why she's here. She wants to tell you what happened. You've always said to make sure you have all the facts before signing a contract, shouldn't the same apply when breaking a contract...you know, like a marriage contract?"

"No, Jack, it was Jennifer who broke our marriage contract."

Jack turned toward the door. "Okay, Ken, but I think you're making a mistake."

"Wait a minute." Jack's words hit home. "Okay, okay, send her in."

"Yes, sir!" responded Jack with a big smile. He walked back out and told Laura he'd see her.

"Thanks, Jack," she said heading into the lion's den. The first thing she noticed was his posture. She was a business woman, she knew a defensive posture when she saw one and she could tell Ken was loaded for bear. She was going to offer him a handshake but didn't think he'd take it anyway.

She stood a few feet away from his desk. "Thank you for seeing me, Ken. Considering what you must think of me, I really appreciate it."

Ken just leaned back in his chair without saying a word.

She was hoping he'd offer her a chair to make things a little less formal but he didn't, so she gave a small sigh and continued standing up. "I...I know there are no words in any language to say how sorry I am for what I did to you and Jen. I don't expect you to ever forgive me but I hope you'll forgive your wife. It wasn't her fault, Ken. When I first offered to make her fantasy a reality she flat out said no, but I wasn't about to take no for an answer. I played on her vulnerability; I reminded her of how she felt when she first started to think of us together. I told her it was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. She was terrified that somehow you'd find out but I convinced her that would never happen. I also convinced her it wasn't really cheating. I told her cheating is when a woman screws another man.

Laura could feel her legs getting wobbly from tension and asked if she could sit down. Still, without saying a word yet, Ken pointed to one of the chairs opposite his desk. She sat down and pulled a hanky from her purse to wipe her eyes, then continued.

"Ken, I know you heard me taking to Tara. I probably made it sound like it was easy to seduce your wife but I wasn't about to tell my sister how hard I actually had to work at it. That day at Water Tower Place I talked until I was blue in the face. I thought sure I had her convinced by the time she left, but the next day when I called, she said no and I talked for another hour until she finally gave in."

Ken finally spoke. "Why the whole weekend, why not just a night?"

"I talked her into that, too. I thought, since she'd never been with a woman before, I'd have to take it slow, take my time to get her comfortable, then show her how to make love to me. One night just wouldn't be enough."

"Laura, my wife isn't some ditz that can be persuaded to do something she doesn't want to do, I don't care how good a sales woman you are."

"You're right, Ken, and if it hadn't been for her fantasy I wouldn't have been able to convince her at all, but I kept reminding her of how good she felt when she would lay in bed and masturbate while thinking of her and me together. I told her she would always wonder what it would be like. It would haunt her the rest of her days if she didn't grab this one and only opportunity, and I finally persuaded her that since I didn't have a penis she wouldn't really be cheating on you."

Laura's tears were now streaming down her cheeks. "I'm sorry, Ken. You're a great guy and you didn't deserve this, neither did Jen. None of this would have happened if she hadn't seen me that day at the restaurant, please don't punish her for one weak moment...please."

Ken sat staring at the sobbing woman and showing no sign of feeling sorry for her. "I'll think about it," he stated flatly.

Laura nodded her head. "I guess that's all I can ask. I...I never wanted to hurt her...or you. I'm so sorry," she said standing. "I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive her, Ken. She's a good person and she loves you dearly. She made a mistake; we all do now and then. She didn't go out looking for an affair or succumb to some guy, she fell into my trap. Please give her another chance."

Laura was grateful she got the opportunity to say what she wanted and turned to head for the door.

"Aren't you going to ask if I'll look up your husband and tell him what happened?" Ken called out.

She turned around to face him. "Somehow, Ken, you just don't strike me as the kind of guy to do that; if I was a man, yes. If I was a man I'm sure they'd be taking me out of here on stretcher about now, but I don't see you as trying to destroy my family to get back at me. And even if you were, it would be too late. I told my husband everything as soon as I got back."

"You did," he said a little shocked. "And what happened?"

"Well, I can't say he was pleased, that's for sure. Like you he was extremely hurt and he's having a hard time dealing with it but he's trying."

With those parting words, Laura left for home where she was resigned to do whatever it took to save her own marriage.

Nothing really changed over the next couple of days except that Laura had given Ken even more to think about.

At Jack's house things were still strained. Jennifer was still getting cold vibes from her husband's best friend so she stayed in her room most of the time. Just a few days after Laura had paid Ken a visit, Jack was on his way to the kitchen for breakfast when he heard a terrible noise from the down stairs washroom. He walked over and stood with his ear close to the door. It sounded like someone vomiting. He gently knocked, "Who's in there, are you alright?" he asked.

"Leave her alone, Jack."

He turned his head to see his wife standing there. "Is that Jennifer? Is she sick?"

"Yeah, she woke up sick to her stomach. It's probably from all the stress. Come on, breakfast is on the table."

Jack didn't think too much of it until the next day when he heard her again. As he sat down at the breakfast table he asked Marge if she was still sick. "If she's not better by tomorrow," he said, "she should go to the doctor. I hope it's not contagious, the last thing we need is a house full of sick people."

Marge agreed. It was two days later when the subject came up again. The kids had already taken off for school and Jack sat having eggs and bacon with his wife.

"Did Jen go to the doctor?" he asked.

"Ah, she has an appointment for next week."

"Next week; she's been throwing up for days now, she can't get an appointment quicker than that?"

When Marge didn't answer Jack knew immediately something was wrong.

"What? What's going on? Is it something serious?"

"She...she doesn't want me to tell you," said Marge holding her head down.

"Tell me what, Marge? You know better than that, there are no secrets in this house. Now what the hell is going on?" He was starting to get angry.

Marge reached over and laid her hand over his in a calming gesture. "She's pregnant."

"Pregnant...pregnant? Holy...is it Ken's?"

Now it was Marge who was angry. "Of course it's Ken's, how can you even ask something like that?" she scolded.

"Hey, she cheated on him with a woman, who's to say she didn't do the same with another guy."

"Jack, I'm surprised at you."

"What? Don't give me that. When someone shows they're not trustworthy it opens all kinds of suspicions. You lie about one thing and suddenly everything you've ever said is called into question. I'm sorry but that's how it is, Marge."

She groaned under her breath; he made sense although she didn't want to admit it. "Jack, I can't believe you honestly think Jen would go out and screw another man."

"I don't...not really, but actions have consequences and when people lose their faith in someone...well, it's damn hard for that person to ever regain their trust again."

"I know," Marge admitted with a sigh.

"Are you positive she's pregnant?"

Marge nodded her head. "Jack, I've have three kids, I think I can recognize morning sickness when I see it. I made her take a home pregnancy test yesterday and it was positive. The doctor's visit next week is just to confirm it but there's not a doubt in my mind. You can't tell Ken though, not yet. That's why she didn't want me to tell you."

laptopwriter
laptopwriter
3,506 Followers