The Gentle Cowboy Ch. 02

Story Info
Jake & Daisy.
3.8k words
4.57
52.1k
26

Part 2 of the 7 part series

Updated 09/30/2022
Created 12/20/2008
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You're fucking worthless boy," the voice shouted.

The boy anticipated the sting of the belt before the sound of it could be heard, whistling through the air.

Raising its arm, the voice repeatedly brought the leather strap down onto the back of the young child.

Huddled into a corner of the room, the boy couldn't get away from the lashes. Screaming didn't help; it just made the pain worse, gave the voice satisfaction.

"Shoulda known you'd be trouble. Nothin' but trouble, you are." The voice took a break, taking a drink out of a bottle of whiskey before turning back to the child.

Standing in the door frame, Jake couldn't move. He could only stand there and watch; horrified.

Helpless to stop the beating, he felt the familiar bile rise up in his throat. Hard as he tried, he could never get the man to stop.

"Teach ya, boy," the voice slurred. "Teach ya to disrespect your father."

Hearing the child cry out against his will made Jake want to cover his ears; but he couldn't. It was as though he was frozen, unable to move.

Then the scene changed. He was walking down the street towards Daisy, his light. She was smiling and her arms were open, walking to him. Looking at her, he waited; he always seemed to be waiting for Daisy.

Suddenly, her eyes shifted from his and her smiled broadened, grew wider, happier.

Running past him, she never even gave him a second glance. Turning, Jake looked to see where she went and wished he hadn't.

Daisy ran into the waiting arms of Derrick Gowan.

"What the fuck?" Jake couldn't believe his eyes. Daisy was letting Goofy Gowan hold her, touch her. "Why Daisy?"he whispered desperately.

Turning to look at him, Daisy's smile became patronizing. Innocently, she asked, as if greatly amused, "You didn't think I would choose you? Did you, Jake?" Taking a moment to look into his dazed eyes, she started to giggle. "Oh my, you did." Laughing almost uncontrollably, she looked at him with tears of laughter in her eyes, "Jake, honey, I would never pick you. What could you ever give me?"

Laughing, she turned her back on him. Taking Gowan's hand, she strolled with him down the street, away from Jake.

"Wait. Daisy, please don't go. Please, Daisy," yelled a frantic Jake.

Running after her was useless; no matter how fast or how long, he would never catch her.

Jake was alone.

"NO. Daisy," yelled Jake as he came to.

Every night was like this. It was always like this: the same gruesome, reoccurring nightmare from his childhood. Repeated every night, like a broken, undying record.

Try as he might, Jake couldn't shake the dreams.

But he was used to them. It was the new ones of him losing Daisy that made it hard to sleep. Jake had to act quickly. Tie her to him so tightly so that she could never untangle herself. Never leave him alone, in the dark.

He needed her. Now.

"Daisy," he whispered to the dark, "I hope you're ready."

********************

She was walking down her high school hallway.

Braces, pony tail and unfashionable clothing. Daisy was worse than an ugly duckling.

Smiling at kids that she knew, with a mouth full of metal, Daisy looked up to suddenly see him.

Jake McKean was leaning against her locker! He had his back to her, but she would know that backside anywhere. That perfect, strong back and those powerful legs encased in form-fitting denim could only belong to Jake.

He was waiting for her at her locker, she thought. But it wasn't the same as for her. She was always waiting for, would always wait for Jake McKean.

"Hi, Jake," squeaked a high-pitched, 15 year-old Daisy.

He turned around, slowly.

With a sardonic, half-smile that really only looked like a twist of his lips, he boredly drawled, "Well, if it isn't the passably pretty mouse. Why do you persist in talking to me? Take a hint, Mouse; I ignore you for a reason."

Stuttering an apology, Daisy's heart was torn in two when he grabbed Betty Bloomsburg and started to lock lips with the tramp right in front of her.

Kissing and touching the big, blonde bimbo, he dragged his mouth away long enough to taunt, "I like real women. Not mousy ones that couldn't please a man if they tried." Seeing the pain in Daisy's eyes seemed to make him smile.

Laughing, he wrapped his arm around Betty's shoulder and walked with the buxom blonde down the hall. Never taking a second glance at Daisy.

"Wait. Jake, please don't go. Please, Jake," yelled a frantic Daisy.

Running after him was useless; no matter how fast or how long, she would never catch him.

Daisy was alone.

"NO. Jake," yelled Daisy as she came to.

Every night was like this. It was always like this: the same reoccurring nightmare since high school. Repeated every night, like a broken, undying record.

Try as she might, Daisy couldn't shake the dreams.

But she was used to them. It was brutal losing Jake every night. And it was a different scenario every night. Daisy lost him in so many different ways, to so many different women. It made it hard to sleep.

She needed him. Always.

But it was futile. It could never be.

"Jake," she pleaded to the dark, "just leave me alone."

********************

Daisy was put off with Jake.

She had a massive list of chores that only seemed to grow longer every minute she put them off. Daisy had to feed the animals, make sure the bales of hay were shipped out on time and in the right truck, had to clean some stalls, yuck, and a million and one other things.

Deciding to run into town for the supplies needed by her father, Daisy figured that she could get the materials and then go meet Jake and see what it was he wanted.

What could it be, she wondered.

Things that he would want to talk about flitted through her mind, but she dismissed them as soon as they entered, except for one. One that she knew, hoped, he wouldn't even be thinking about; buying her family estate.

No, he couldn't want to hurt me that badly, Daisy thought almost hysterically. He couldn't hate me that much.

Pushing her disturbing feelings aside, Daisy took a deep breath, opened the Supply Store's door and ran smack dab into Derrick Gowan's chest.

Muttering her apology, Daisy tried to disentangle herself from his firm hold. Realizing he wasn't letting go, she looked up at him. A feeling of foreboding settled in as she remembered what Jake had said; to not allow any man to touch her.

Feeling anxious, Daisy didn't want to be around Derrick any more than Jake wanted her to be. The other night hadn't ended too well; what with Derrick wanting to come in and Daisy not wanting to continue the evening. The remembered occasion put a grimace on her face and caused her tone to be somewhat sharper than usual, "Let go, Derrick," she bit out, "I need to get supplies so if you wouldn't mind unhanding me…" she looked at his arms pointedly.

All smiles and charm, Derrick tried to sooth an angry Daisy, "Oh shucks, Sugar. I kinda like holding you." Seeing that she was not amused, Derrick wisely removed his hands. "I came for a set of pliers, but they're out of 'em. What are you lookin' for Dais?"

Hearing the nickname coming from Derrick set Daisy's teeth on edge. It didn't feel right having him say it; it belonged to Jake, as insane as it was.

"Just some of this, some of that," she generalized, hoping he'd take the hint and leave.

"Well, let me help you. Since I didn't get the pliers, I can't get to the job today." Roping an arm around her shoulder and leading her down an aisle, he obviously did not get the hint.

Steering her down the tool section, there was no one around. Pushing her up against the shelving, he put a hand on either side of her head, caging her between the cool metal and his warm body.

Derrick liked Daisy; he could see himself settling down with a girl like her. She was always kind, a hard worker, family oriented, and very easy on the eyes. Daisy was perfect, he surmised.

"Daisy, I can't stop thinking about you, Sugar. I had real fun last night," he said softly. Looking into her eyes, he tried to feel her out. Mistaking her glazed look to be desire, when really it was boredom and the wish for escape, he tried to lean in for a kiss.

Not sure what to do, Daisy decided to go with it; she didn't want to embarrass poor Derrick. He really was a nice guy.

Feeling the pressure of his mouth on hers, Daisy let him kiss her. His touch was pleasant; it wasn't like kissing Jake, but it was okay. The light press of his tongue against the seam of her lips startled her. Not really wanting to have a full-blown make-out session in Hank's Hardware Supplies and More, Daisy pushed lightly on Derrick's shoulders.

Mistaking it to be an embrace, Derrick scooped her up and tried to mold her to him, tilting his head and deepening their kiss.

Squeaking in outrage, Daisy tried to push with all her might, which felt like nothing to a big rancher like Derrick.

Groaning, Derrick didn't seem to hear her moans of protest. Crushing her to him even more, Derrick let his hands roam down to cup her ass…

"Khmmm," came a deep grunt from their left.

Lifting his head and panting for air, Derrick glanced over his shoulder before Daisy could. When she saw the discreet cougher, Daisy wished she hadn't.

It wasn't the store owner, wasn't Mrs. Grishim (the town gossip), wasn't one of her overprotective brothers, no it was Jake McKean, leaning languidly and dangerous against the shelving.

Pushing at Derrick's chest, she whispered, horrified, "Let go, Derrick." When he wouldn't, Daisy got really angry. What the hell is going on?

Turning towards Jake, Derrick kept his arm around Daisy, trying to show ownership. Finally it seemed to click, Daisy wished for the tile to open up and swallow her whole. She didn't belong to Derrick and why she wanted Jake to know was something she didn't want to linger on.

Still struggling against his hold, she awkwardly mumbled, "Come on, Derrick. I have things to do." Pronouncing each word slowly, "Let. Go."

Unhurriedly, Derrick did as she asked, Jake quietly watching the whole scene play out.

"I'll help you with the rest of your purchases, Daisy," Derrick announced, looking directly at Jake in some male-challenging game.

Annoyed by it all, "No, that's ok. I'll be fine, Derrick. Just some horse feed and a few bags of fertilizer." Just when Derrick was about to protest, Daisy quickly huffed, "I'll be fine. I'll get one of Hank's boys to help me load the bags." Leaving before either man could stop her; Daisy stepped away from Derrick and darted around Jake.

Taking a quick peek at Jake's face as she passed him, Daisy saw how he appeared to not care; Daisy felt moisture gather in her eyes. She couldn't explain it, but it was just like before, when he looked at her without emotion.

Focusing on breathing, Daisy stood in front of the horse food, not really seeing what was before her eyes.

Suddenly, she felt warm arms steal around her again. Just when she was about to protest, she was pulled back into a hard body; one that she would know anywhere.

"Jake," she breathed. "What are you doing?"

He wouldn't let her leave his embrace or turn around. Nuzzling the sensitive skin of her neck, Jake mumbled against her, "Why did you let him touch you, Daisy?" Taking a deep breath, raising his head, he breathed against her ear, "Why?"

"I- I- I didn't mean to. Really Jake, I just-" she stuttered.

"Shhh," Jake cut off her rambling. Turning her around, Jake gently cupped her face, nudging her chin until she looked at him with her wary eyes. "Don't let him touch you, Dais." Running a hand through his hair, he finished, "I- I don't like it. I don't like how it makes me feel."

Bewildered by his statement, Daisy felt her heart clench once. What is he doing? He admits to not liking me around other guys, allowing them to touch me. I know he's playing some game, I just know it.

But her heart was convincing her head that she was wrong, that this time he really wanted her. Oh, if only I could cut the connection between my head and heart.

Slowly, so that she had time to turn away, Jake bent down, barely touching her. Seeing that she wasn't about to move from him, Jake slightly smiled and then took her mouth with his.

Where Derrick had been light, Jake was dark, demanding. He took Daisy's mouth, sucking on her bottom lip, nibbling and tasting her.

Minutes went by and turned Daisy's brain to mush. Thinking, much less thinking clearly, was next to impossible.

Finally, after Jake felt like he had assuaged some of the need clawing at him to claim Daisy, he pulled back.

When Jake had come into Hank's to pick up a few tools, he never thought that he'd see his woman being mauled by Goofy Gowan. Breaking up the Gowan grope-fest had taken every ounce of will-power and self-control he possessed; to not beat the living daylights out of the bastard that is.

Tamping down on the dark, primal part of him that wanted to beat his chest and carry Daisy off to his cave: he took a breath and tried to talk to her.

"Don't go near Gowan or any other guy. I don't want to walk into Roxy's Diner and see you locking lips with Buck," he smiled crookedly at seeing her face wrinkle in distaste; Buck was sixty going on seventy, missing a few teeth, and in need of a shower most times.

Remembering that he was going to see her in three hours, Jake turned serious, "I'll see you at noon, Daisy Maze." Steeping back, he leisurely let his gaze sweep her from head to toe, "Be prompt, Dais. I'll be waiting." And with that he spun on his heel and left without a backwards glance.

Left in a daze, Daisy found one of Hank's boys and got the supplies she needed.

The ride back to the ranch was done in a haze and jumbled thoughts.

Jake McKean, you're messing with my heart. Stop it; you don't know what you're doing.

********************

Daisy didn't want to go to Jake's but she had to know… had to know if he was going to do the unthinkable; take her home away.

Everyday, little by little, they were climbing out of debt. But it wasn't enough, wasn't fast enough. It was just a matter of time, depended on which came first: either they could come up with the money or someone would become very interested and beat them to the punch.

Over my dead body, Daisy seethed.

Rolling up to Jake's sprawling ranch, The McKean ranch, Daisy was almost overwhelmed by the sheer size of his establishment. The house was massive, a huge building that lacked warmth. The rustic look was just that, a look. It didn't have a feeling of home, it left her feeling cold.

With a shiver, Daisy opened her truck door and hopped out before she lost her nerve. Holding onto the railing, she took the steps one at a time and ended up on the porch, in front of the door in no time.

Lifting her hand, she lightly rapped on the old, solid oak. A rustling shuffle could be heard on the other side. Slowly, the door swung open, an old man with a weathered but gentle face stood in the entrance.

"Miles," Daisy beamed.

The elderly butler's face cracked in a smile, "Ms. Jones, it's a pleasure to see you again. You should come by more often," he gently chastised. "Young Master McKean used to love your visits."

Miles appeared to have forgotten that she and Jake hadn't had "visits" since grade school. Something she wished could have gone on.

"Yes, well, I'm here to visit him today," she touched the old man's shoulder affectionately, "Where can I find Jake, Miles?"

His brow furrowed as he thought about where Jake could be. "Try the study, my dear; he's been spending an awful lot of time there lately." Mumbling to himself, Miles went off in another direction, leaving Daisy to her own devices.

Torn between going straight to see Jake and the itch to walk around and see what was different about the house, she decided the latter could wait and went down the familiar hallway that led to the study.

Daisy was surprised that Jake was there; that had been one of his father's favorite rooms. If nothing else, Daisy knew how much Jake had hated his father. In fact, she couldn't believe he stayed in this house. After his mother left, Jake's father had turned cruel, not wanting anything to do with his son. When Daisy came over, they always played quietly so they didn't bother his dad. However, half the time they would hide in the barn, huddled together, Jake scared of his father's voice.

Daisy could never understand why Jake pushed her out of his life. They had shared so much when they were younger. It hurt to remember.

Reaching the door to the study, Daisy shook off those long-ago memories, and knocked on the dark cherry door ahead of her.

Hearing an ominous, "Enter," Daisy turned the knob, not sure what she was walking into.

Stepping over the threshold, Daisy was hit by the sheer masculine perfection that was Jake McKean. Sitting behind the heavy cherry desk, Jake looked… delicious.

Wearing a white button down shirt that was a third unbuttoned, showing a good amount of his chest, his sleeves were also undone, rolled up to his elbows. His hair curled around his ears, down the back of his neck. And his full lips…Yep, he looked good.

Dry-mouthed, Daisy didn't know where to start; he invited her here after all.

Smiling, Jake extended his hand to indicate the two leather chairs in front of his desk, "Please, sit Daisy. Make yourself comfortable."

Put on edge by his amiable act, Daisy cautiously slid into one of the seats he offered.

Now I've got you, Daisy Maze, thought Jake triumphantly.

"What is it you wanted to see me about, Jake? I have to get back to my home. There is a lot that I am putting off in order to see you." With every word, Daisy's heart started to pound faster. Folding her hands in her lap, she laced them together so that Jake couldn't see she was shaking.

Donning a calm and serious expression, Jake leaned back and stared at her. Steepling his fingers under his chin, he began, "It's no longer your home, Daisy. I paid off the debt and own the ranch and house that sits on it, free and clear."

Daisy felt like she had just been punched in the stomach. It was hard to breath, thinking was unachievable, and the reasoning that would usually hold her back from killing Jake McKean was nonexistent.

"You are…," words left her and she tried again, "You are kidding me, right Jake? I mean you can't hate me so much as to want to take away the only thing that means anything to me."

"Aww, come now, Daisy darlin'," he drawled, "You know I don't hate one pretty hair on your head. But a shrewd business man I have become and I can be quite ruthless when it comes to getting what I want."

Reeling from shock, Daisy didn't know what to make of this. "It's not that lucrative, Jake. Just enough for us to make a decent living. Live comfortably. You want for nothing, your father left you well off. What do you need my home?," she practically screamed.

Shifting forward, he placed his folded hands in front of him in a gesture of helplessness. "I have come to want something that my money cannot buy me, Daisy."

What the hell, she wondered, has he gone bat-shit crazy?

"Jake, what are you playing at? What is it you want that taking my home can get you?"

Looking her in the eye, he ignored her question and steadily went on, "What would you do for your home, Daisy? What lengths would you sink to, in order to keep your precious ranch, to keep a roof over your families head?"

12