The Gentle Cowboy Ch. 06

Story Info
Jake & Daisy
2.3k words
4.63
43.2k
30

Part 6 of the 7 part series

Updated 09/30/2022
Created 12/20/2008
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Note: Here's chapter 6! Finally! I wanted to thank everyone who sent me feedback and comments. Without them I may have just given into frustration and writer's block and stopped. Thank-you for pushing me to do more. This is for all of you reader's that helped give me the motivation. For that I truly do thank-you. :) With that said, enjoy the next chapter!

**********

"... And then he asked me to marry him... Well, gave me the choice of marrying him or lose the family farm," Daisy said to her best friend, Grace, relating all of the ongoing events of the past week.

Listening with owl eyes, Grace let out a low whistle, "How... romantic."

"Don't judge, Gracie. You know how I've felt about Jake since I was old enough to talk about said feelings." Sighing, she shrugged her shoulders, "I want him."

"Only want?" she questioned with a lift of her blonde brow.

Daisy threw her hands up in the air, "I love him. Okay. Love, love, love him."

"I get that, Daisy, but, I mean come on. The guy blackmailed you here." After a rude snort, Grace continued, "And they say chivalry is d-e-a-d?"

Eyes narrowed, she decided to ignore Grace's last remark, "I know it sounds bad." There was another mumble from Grace, Daisy just kept going, "But it's my life, Gracie. And I just wish you would be happy for me."

Grace stood up from her kitchen table and began to pace. "You understand how prehistoric you're being here? We aren't chattel anymore, Daisy." Fist raised in the air, she gave it a shake and a pump. "We are women of the 21st century. We can wear pants, vote, drink beer and be on top while doing it. This me Tarzan-you Jane, I take you to my tiki hut is a thing of the past, babycakes."

Rubbing her temples, Daisy was walking a thin line between laughter and insanity. "I might hurt you if you don't cut that Women's Lib crap, Grace. I'm aware of the year, but it doesn't change anything. I want Jake and I can finally have him now." Interrupting her before she could say some smart-ass remark, Daisy persisted, "Plus, he said he loved me, Gracie. Loved me."

Plopping back down into her seat, Grace gave a resigned sigh. "I still think you need a full psych exam, but I know a lost cause when I see one." Smiling, she reached out and squeezed Daisy's hand, "I'm happy if you're happy."

"Good. Because I'm going to need your help getting this wedding put together within a month."

"A month?!" Grace exclaimed.

Shaking her head Daisy added with a gleam in her eye, "And I want you to be my maid of honor."

Grace let her head hit the table.

-----

Jake was feeling pretty... content.

Whistling as he was finishing up some paperwork, he was surprised to hear a knock on his office door. Looking up he expected to see Daisy or Miles. Instead it was Daisy's oldest brother, Matt.

"Matt, what brings you by?" Jake stood up to greet his old friend as he entered his study.

Smiling, Matt said in his usual carefree way, "Just thought I'd stop in, Jake. It's been a while."

Sitting back down, Jake indicated to one of the chairs in front of his desk, "I know, too long. I wasn't expecting to see you, but I'm glad you stopped by, had something I wanted to run by you."

Running a hand over his jaw line, Matt's eyes turned serious, "Yeah, I had a few questions myself."

Jake leaned back in his chair and opened his arms, "By all means, Matt, ask away."

Seconds ticked by, the silence getting slightly uncomfortable. "We used to be best friends, Jake. We share a past, I mean, I know about yours," at that Jake stiffened. "Don't go getting upset, but you know what I mean."

"No, spell it out for me, Matt," Jake said in a low voice.

Glancing over his shoulder to make sure they were alone, Matt leaned in closer, "I remember when we were kids, your dad and all that trouble you had with him..." Matt trailed off at the dark look in Jake's eyes. "Look, I'm not here to rehash the past, I just want to know why this sudden interest in my sister. You used to tease her mercilessly and I let you because I was a stupid brother, but I've seen how that hurt my sister."

Jake just continued to look at him blankly. Sighing, Matt ran his hands through his hair, "I just want to make sure you're not going to hurt her anymore, Jake. I wasn't the best brother, didn't even protect her from my own friend's cutting remarks, but I not that same jerk-off. I wanna make sure you understand what I'm saying here, Jake. I want to leave here knowing that I can trust that you're... past isn't going to affect how you treat my sister."

Nodding, "I understand, Matt. And you have no reason to worry about Daisy." He gave a short, bitter snort, "Hell, she's the only that's safe."

Matt sent Jake a look of understanding, "I know you had a tough time of it, bud. You're dad was one of the meanest drunks I've crossed, and I know that affected you." He shook his head, "Hell, you shut all of us out."

Jake shot up out of his chair. He walked to look out the window and focused on breathing, focused on picturing Daisy's face.

"She keeps me sane, Matt. I used to try to push her away, thought I was too damaged by that son of a bitch." Simmering anger and rage hoarsened Jake's voice. He turned to his friend, "But I need her, Matt. I'm done lying to myself."

With a searching look, Matt asked, "You won't hurt her?"

"Never." It was a statement of fact.

Letting go of a breath, he didn't know he had been holding, Matt stood up and thumped his friend on the back. "I'm glad. I know you're a good man, Jake."

The two men looked each other in the eye, and knew they were both speaking the truth.

"So, now that that's settled, what was it you wanted to ask me?" Matt asked as he sat back down.

Jake returned to his leather chair and grinned. "I wanted to see if you'd be open to being my best man."

Shock rounded Matt's eyes, "Jake, I-I-..." Standing up, he bowed low with a smirk, "It would be an honor."

Sighing, Jake just shook his head, "Quit being an idiot. Or I'll change my mind."

Matt stood up straight and tipped his hand off his forehead, military fashion, "Yes, sir."

"Should've gone with the other brother," Jake groaned to himself.

Giving him an 'are-you-kidding' look, Matt just shook his head. "Pssh, you joking? First off, Mack is too young; he wouldn't know what to do. Probably get light beer and male strippers. Second, Maddox is too serious, he'd never part with his books long enough to fulfill best man requirements. Third, they both would throw a god-awful Bach party in comparison to, yours truly here."

It was Jake's turn to smirk, "Then I guess I can't replace you."

"Nope. I'm numero uno here, bud."

"Well that settles it." Elbows on the desk, Jake leaned forward. "Here anything from Daisy lately?"

Matt lifted a brow, "She's your fiancé. Shouldn't you know?"

It was Jake's turn to sift his hands through his hair in frustration, "She told me I had to give her some time and space. Since I'm 'being ridiculous' with my wedding demands she's cut my visitation privileges."

"That's priceless. What demands are she upset with?" laughed Matt.

Looking around the office, in a nonchalant manner, "I just said that she had two weeks before I hauled her down the aisle."

Matt's eyes bugged out. "You gave a woman, my sister, only two weeks to plan her wedding? Buddy, I'm a dude here too, but the ladies take this marriage stuff a little differently than us."

Rubbing the back of his neck, Jake grimaced, "Yeah, she's already informed me of that fact... talked me into giving her a full month."

Grinning, Mat nodded in agreement, "So generous of you there."

"I can't wait much longer than that; with all of the planning and organizing she says she can only see me on certain days at certain times. Complete bull. I'm going to go see Daisy today, whether it's a visitation day or not." Jake shuddered, "I'll even offer my help with the wedding plans."

Nodding, Matt added, "It takes a brave man to go cake shopping."

Jake threw a paper ball at him.

----------

"Hello, I'm Daisy McKean, Mrs. Jake McKean." Daisy looked at her reflection at the bridal shop. Standing on the pedestal-dais in front of the floor-length mirror, she looked at herself critically.

Rotating to her side, Daisy let out a puff of frustration. She hated this one too.

"Momma, this one isn't it. I don't feel it," she said.

Nodding her head, Donna Jones agreed with her daughter. "It takes away from your figure the way it cinches in at the hips." Placing her hands where she was referring to, "See here? Just won't do." Shaking her head, Donna turned to the other person in the room besides the dress consultant, "What do you think, Grace?"

Standing up, Grace moved over to stand by the ladies. Smiling at her best friend, Grace tried to find a way to tactfully tell Daisy that the dress the consultant had pulled was heinously atrocious.

Pursing her lips, she began, "Well, it's not a total loss." When the other two women looked at her as if she were crazy, she gave a slight wince and told the truth. "Alright, it quite possibly might be the most appalling dress ever made."

"Amen," Daisy breathed.

Sending the consultant an apologetic look, Grace tried not to chuckle at Daisy and continued slowly, "I think you need something a bit less matronly and more fitted. Especially your top half." Placing her hands on Daisy's small waist, "Look how small you are, I'm so envious of you I could spit."

Laughing, Daisy slapped her friend's hands away, "You are just silly, Grace. You have one of those voluptuous figures with curves I'd die for. And I'm not even going to talk about the breast envy you inspire," Daisy joked, having talked about this with her friend for years now. Both envying what the other had.

"And I've got child-bearing hips that could go on for days," Donna Jones jumped in. "Now, back to the dress situation, what do you think Grace? You seemed to be on to something with the fitted top."

Clearing her throat delicately, Grace stifled a laugh when Daisy rolled her eyes at her mother. "I think a fitted top, maybe corset-like, with a fuller bottom would look lovely on Miss Daisy here."

Looking at Consultant Rose, Donna asked the woman if she had anything like that.

Raising her eyebrows at the three, Rose mumbled that she would be back with something that they might find pleasing to their taste.

The three burst into a fit of giggles the minute the woman left.

Wiping a tear from her eye, Grace confessed, "That dress truly is hideous. I mean, besides the fact that it swallows you; the dress looks like it was attacked with a glue gun and a few tons of sequins."

Gasping in horror, Daisy looked at Grace accusingly, "And you were trying to tell me it 'wasn't a total loss.' Why Grace Allistare, I believe you were trying to ruin my wedding."

Donna shook her head in mock agreement, "That must be it, Daisy. She saw a chance and took it."

Playing along with the Jones's antics, Grace put a hand to her forehead and sighed dramatically, "You caught me, Ladies. It was all a devious plan."

Laughing, the women were surprised to hear Rose clear her throat to announce her presence.

"What is the verdict?" Rose asked, holding a beautiful dress on a hanger.

Daisy gasped. Donna and Grace gasped.

Stepping down from the dais, Daisy quickly walked over to the dress and gently took it from Rose.

Hurrying to the dressing room, Daisy called out, "Momma, come unzip me, please. I think this one might be..." Trailing off, Daisy waited to be let out and set free of the disaster dress.

Slipping on the new dress, Daisy turned for her mother to do up the back. Turning slowly, Daisy saw her mother's eyes light up and become misty.

Smiling, Daisy knew before she saw herself that this dress had potential. Taking the step up, she raised her head and looked at herself in the mirror.

She looked over to Grace and her mother who held hands and gazed up at her in awe.

Instantly, all three women started crying.

Getting down from the pedestal, Daisy was wrapped in a teary group hug with her mother and Grace.

Holding out a box of tissues, Consultant Rose smiled at the threesome, knowing she had finally pleased her customer... And made a sale.

"Ohh, Daisy, honey, you look breathtaking." Donna was so happy for her little girl.

Nodding, Grace winked, "You'll blow ole Jake away."

Blushing, Daisy took one final look before confirming everyone's thoughts, "This is the one. The dress that I'll marry Jake in."

Hello, I'm Mrs. Daisy McKean, she thought to her reflection. Daisy smiled, Sounds perfect.

"Looks perfect," drawled a deep voice from behind.

Turning around, Daisy dreaded seeing who her brain already told her it was.

She gasped and tried to cover herself with her hands. The women formed a line in front of her, trying to shield her from the intruder.

She groaned three words, "Dammit, Jake McKean!"

**********

I know this might not be what was expected/wanted after such a long wait. But I have ideas for other continuations of the story and characters that I had to introduce some new ones. Logic behind the madness, I swear :) Anyways, look for more later. Maybe another month or so for an installment of this or Jungle. Thanks again for all of the feedback and encouragement!!!

-MG